Windjammer back to self-service

16 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Were people touching the food with their hands as in the past?

Yes, unfortunately people were back to their gross habits.  Even if they wash their hands as they enter the Windjammer, most people do not use hand sanitizer every time they go get more food.

I have to eat gluten free, so I especially don’t like people cross contaminating food by using the same serving spoon for multiple items.  I’ve been on Royal ships that have a section in Windjammer with only gluten free food. Sadly, Oasis does not have that this sailing.

We were at CocoCay today and I was pleasantly surprised to see Skipper’s Grill was NOT self serve.

• Like 3

I have no problem with having them serve me.  I can be fussy about what I put on my plate and how much, but it's just more hygienic to have them serve me.  A  lot of people don't realize they are being unhygienic.  You may have rubbed your notice unconsciously then picked up a ladle.  We do a lot of things and don't notice it.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, slyster said:

I have no problem with having them serve me.  I can be fussy about what I put on my plate and how much, but it's just more hygienic to have them serve me.  A  lot of people don't realize they are being unhygienic.  You may have rubbed your notice unconsciously then picked up a ladle.  We do a lot of things and don't notice it.  

Exactly!  Another example is people licking their fingers and then going back to get more food, using all the scoops, etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, D4 said:

Exactly!  Another example is people licking their fingers and then going back to get more food, using all the scoops, etc

Yes!  I hadn't thought of that one but yes, that is great one.  Heck I probably did it too.  We just don't think of it.

• Like 2

TBHH; while on one hand to have waiters serving us at the buffets is better on health concerns and I believe most of us want them to stay, on the other hand reality is that cruise lines are losing money in millions a day and they just need to recover business to, at least, near the normal before covid numbers. All of us know that this will require time and effort... And part of it will require some discount measures to keep the business going. That said; they've no option than to return the ships to normal before covid operations. Well: Unless the market signals it is ready to pay double to have double employees on the ships. That wont happen!... To let alone the very fact that it is becoming difficult for the lines to just find more available employees!... We'll need to live with what we have. Want a premium service? The Premium to Luxury cruise lines are here hunting for business as well. And according to the threads on their CC forums they're enjoying at least part of the same problems their parent mainstream ones are enjoying, only less notable given their general passenger numbers.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Kind of on a related topic, on a recent cruise, there were salt and pepper shakers on the tables.  I was a little surprised by that, as it invites the same concerns many people have with people licking their fingers.

I carry sanitizing wipes these days for this. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 6:26 AM, Threedrones said:

Definitely see the benefit of being served. That being said, having one server handling 10 different stations is not efficient. Also, self serve is not a death trap as some here imply.

When have you seen this?🙄  Maybe during the Omicron outbreak, but they were doing the best they could. Give them a break.

FWIW...We just got off of Odyssey.  It was a packed spring break cruise.  I loved being served at the Windjammer.  I didn't have to wait and got the amount I requested.  Since our drinks were served to us, we never had to touch anything after we washed our hands at the entrance.  I don't think a few extra buffet servers will bankrupt Royal.  They will add a few bucks to the cost of the cruise. I felt that being served elevated my impression of the service onboard.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stormcat1 said:

I’d rather wait in line than have to deal with Covid or Noro virus.

Don't the same people that touch the serving ware in the WJ also touch the handrails, doors, elevator buttons, etc?  I'm always a bit confused why some touch points matter than others?

• Like 2

Keep in mind there are only so many crew bunks.  Those "extra" crew serving at the buffet in the WJ are possible right now because there are fewer people onboard, but as they push back towards full capacity, the number of cabin stewards, laundry workers, and galley help will go back to normal, and that's going to require some balancing out of staffing...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

More servers will not be needed because the entire fleet will be reverting back to self serve whether you like it or not.

Where did you hear that? This issue doesn’t matter to me, but in a video Richard Fain stated servers in WJ would be a permanent change. I would post a link but I am too lazy (and don’t know how to do it). 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

On 3/19/2022 at 8:26 PM, Lane Hog said:

No cross contamination the way RCI is doing it now, which is great for people with concerns or who conform to dietary laws about their food coming in contact with other/forbidden foods...

THIS! Coming here to say this.

My daughter and I both have multiple life-threatening food allergies, and although we have to ask about ingredients and preparation of everything we eat, it's nice to know that there won't be cross-contamination from utensils. Customers are gross, and have a bad habit of using the spoon from the dish next to it to serve their food, which can prove extremely dangerous.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Where did you hear that? This issue doesn’t matter to me, but in a video Richard Fain stated servers in WJ would be a permanent change. I would post a link but I am too lazy (and don’t know how to do it). 

If it's indeed true, then you'll be ponying up more to cruise on Royal.  More employees on the payroll equals higher cruise fares.  Won't matter to me, I spread things around on various lines and have five future bookings on RCI.  Certainly won't lose any sleep if they are my last five.  

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What Richard Fain may have said while he was still CEO, doesn’t apply now as he is no longer at the helm.  He may be still on the board but no longer has any real say in the day to day operations. 

• Like 1

My biggest Windjammer pet peeve, a hundred different people handle the serving spoons and tongs, then someone puts the serving utensil down on top of the food in the serving tray, the handle resting on the food. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

@JoTerricruise
Did you read my post?  I’m on Oasis right now and Windjammer is self serve. 😰

We were at CocoCay yesterday and their staff served the food. 😎🏝

Edited by D4

27 minutes ago, D4 said:

@JoTerricruise
Did you read my post?  I’m on Oasis right now and Windjammer is self serve. 😰

We were at CocoCay yesterday and their staff served the food. 😎🏝

I obviously missed it. That’s interesting to hear, but like someone else posted, Richard Fain is no longer in charge so what he previously stated doesn’t really matter these days. Thanks for setting me straight. 

29 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I obviously missed it. That’s interesting to hear, but like someone else posted, Richard Fain is no longer in charge so what he previously stated doesn’t really matter these days. Thanks for setting me straight. 

That’s ok.  Other Royal ships might be operating differently, but Windjammer is self serve on Oasis this week.  Yuck!

just got off HAL. 

No self-service.

Never an issue with how much food. They will give you as much as you want. Also, I noticed much less waste doing it that way. 

Will be on Symphony of the Seas April 23rd. Too early to tell how it will be served then. Actually, I prefer no self-serve. Much safer that way with less waste.

• Like 3