Cruise Planner, Princess Direct or Travel Agent

Sailaway John

16 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Here's the deal:  you booked the cruise you wanted, in the cabin you preferred, at a price that was acceptable.   Those post-final-payment low fares are specifically for new bookings only. That's the whole point of the cheap fares:  we last-minute bookers have rolled the dice on cruise/cabin availability to save money.  Whereas you choose safety over risk.  Now you shouldn't get to have your cake and eat it, too.  If you want to sail at the Drop and Go fares, then do what we do:   wait and book at the last minute. 

I ask my PVP. She comes up with innovative ways for me to have my cake and eat it too. Often with ways a TA couldn't do. Over the years I have booked direct, various TAs, and even a few PVPs. Finally found one who makes me wish I had found her years ago.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TBfrPH said:

Often times I see last-minute fare drops, usually called "Drop and Go" fares, that occur AFTER I've made final payments.  Apparently Princess will only allow new bookings for this low fare type, and existing bookings that have made final payments are not eligible for a re-fare.  I've read that people who used PVP have been able to access these last-minute re-fares even after final payments, though it's not always clear whether they are referring to the "Drop and Go" fares that theoretically only apply to new bookings.  

Just to find out if a PVP has some exclusive backdoor to these last-minute fare drops, I'm tempted to try one.  Does anyone have experience that may shed light on whether this would be worthwhile?  

Yes! Absolutely. Keep trying until you find one.

• Thanks 1

Glad I came across this thread because I have been wondering how PVPs work.   In my case I was working with a terrific TA.   But in last couple of years I have developed some health issues and many of the cruises she booked for me had to be cancelled.   I felt (and feel) bad that she did all of the upfront work and then had to do additional work to cancel them and never got a commission.   So while I would prefer to book with her decided it might be best to book direct with Princess so if I had to cancel I would not feel so guilty.    So just booked on-line but put hold on cabin since I needed funds transferred from a canceled cruise to the new cruise.    I was going to call Princess but was leery about the long wait times so remembered an email I had gotten with the name of a PVP.    I called him and he has been responsive although, unlike my TA, has not offered any OBC or perks.   My question:   What exactly is a PVP?   Are they just a TA that somehow works only with Princess.   Do they get some sort of commission or just get paid more by Princess than the reservation folks that answer the general Princess reservation number?    I do not want to have the same thing happen with this PVP - that is, he does the work but then I have to cancel and he does not get a commission.   If that is the case I may just go back to booking direct on-line and dealing with any issues by calling Princess direct (even if I may be on hold for hour or two).   And information on how PVPs are compensated would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

Our first cruise we booked with a local TA.  We got nothing.  Well, we got the cruise.  At full price, no discounts, no onboard, nothing.  Oh, I take that back.  ONE of the rooms we booked got 4 chocolate covered strawberries, but the other one didn't.  

We faithfully read these boards.  Found a promotion a year in advance of our expensive, once in a lifetime vacation, where we could get prepaid grats.  Called the TA, who hemmed and hawed, put us off for days (I think she was trying to run out the promotion), then tried to tell us that the fare would go up.  It didn't.  We were a year out, no penalties for cancelling and rebooking. We finally got the prepaid tips added. 

Another promotion, very very limited in scope.  Princess was celebrating their 50th birthday and offered anyone who was also turning 50 that year, $50 in onboard. Both hubby and I were turning 50, his was a couple days before we boarded, mine was while we were onboard.  TA tried to tell us it was ONLY for people who were cruising ON their birthday.  I was, so what was the problem?  We each got the $50.

Little things went on and on.  Our room location(s) were changed and no longer next to each other.  We were first time cruisers and really thought the ships were huge and getting from one room to another would be a massive pain, so we (thought) needed the rooms next to each other.  It was important to us.  

We massively overpaid for that first cruise.  But we were happy.  We were going on a cruise.  A cruise to Hawaii!  A CRUISE!  

Went to the meet and greet on that first cruise.  What an eye opening experience!  Found out we GREATLY overpaid and were underserviced.  One person was a wealth of information, taught us about online TA's.  Taught us about the site where TA's complete for your cruise dollars.  Taught us that we didn't have to go through the same TA every time.  And taught us there was no shame in getting as much out of your cruise experience as you could.  I truly wish I could thank her for everything she taught me.  I'd send her some chocolate strawberries if I could ever find her again!

So we now cruise 2-4 times a year on less budget as we did for that very first cruise.  I've got a couple of online TA's I like, a couple I don't like, but they give me the best deals and a couple that I avoid.  

So my advice is do whatever works for you.  Need control, book through princess or a PVP.  Want better fares, book through an online TA.  Want money back, book through the big box stores.  

• Like 1

my TA has decent pricing and ive used him for about 3 years now. 488 bucks cheaper than princess for a mini suite including 50 OBC (i assume from princess but i never asked). 

also a few days ago i had picked a certain room on another ship and had emailed TA to ask for pricing. there is only one of that kind on the ship. by the time i decided that nite he went home and i was disappointed because i saw the room was now taken. however when he got back to work he confirmed my CC and booked it. apparently he knew me well enough to hold that particular room since it was one of a kind and i was sooo happy to have gotten it because it was over 70% cheaper for that cabin vs other weeks. 

@jill1349from what I understand from my retired PVP, they are Princess employees (although she could also book Cunard at one time) drawing a salary from PCL. When she booked my cruises or additional payments she got 'points' that could be used to cover her cruises. That also enabled her to add in additional OBC on certain voyages. My new PVP must be brand new as she never has them. (I know 20 OBC was available as I got it from CSR when I called about another issue with the booking and she was out). But at least she drops my fare to the Drop&Go price (no, not a cancel & rebook as the booking # doesn't change) although I cannot see this practice continue as cruising picks up 

Since there seems a lot of knowledge in this thread about PVPs....

I sometimes go with a TA (who I am marginally happy with--not likely to use again soon), sometimes book direct and currently have a couple I booked through a PVP. I now need some assistance with my E-Z Air flight on one that I booked directly myself. Will my PVP be able to assist me with my issue even though that cruise I booked online myself? I can email her and she has so far been pretty responsive. I just don't want to over-step what I am supposed to be using her for since she didn't book this one for me. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have been booking direct with Princess for probably 10+ years, totally satisfied, no reason to change.  I also book hotels, air and insurance direct myself.   No one else to blame if I have a problem.  Works for me.

• Like 1