Nautica and Riveria

jhoo

Yes .  Trying to decide on Nautica Capetown to Tokyo 2023 or Rivera Abu Dhabi to Tokyo 1024.

I like the larger size of Rivera but will it make a big difference?

9 minutes ago, jhoo said:

Yes .  Trying to decide on Nautica Capetown to Tokyo 2023 or Rivera Abu Dhabi to Tokyo 1024.

I can't say what would qualify as a big difference to you but I'll point out what I think are some of the key differences.

BTW, I haven't been on those ships, but I've been on their virtually identical twin sisters, Insignia and Marina so my comments are equally applicable to the two ships you want to compare.

There are any number of differences, among them:

Nautica has only two specialty restaurants, Polo Grill and Toscana, while Riviera has an additional two, Jacques and Red Ginger, for a total of four.

The buffet, Terrace Cafe, on Riviera is larger relative to the ship's passenger capacity than Terrace Cafe on Nautica and in my opinion the experience is better on the larger ship.

The bathrooms on Nautica in standard cabins...inside through veranda...are very small with very small shower stalls while the bathrooms in the comparable cabins on Riviera are much larger and include a bathtub/shower combination and a separate stall shower.

Nautica, being smaller can get into some ports that Riviera can't or in some cases dock or anchor closer to town than Riviera can.

The libraries on the smaller "R" ships such as Nautica are more elegant than those on the newer ships such as Riviera.

Perhaps others can point out differences I've missed.

• Like 2

Riviera will have an Artist Loft on it, nicer area for Barristas(coffee shop), Executive & Concierge Lounges. Pretty much newer and more space all around. Riviera also has La Reserve & Privee if this sort of thing is important to you. 

Oops, posting at the same time. 

Edited by ORV

2 hours ago, jhoo said:

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Nautica, being smaller can get into some ports that Riviera can't or in some cases dock or anchor closer to town than Riviera can.

For me, this is an important factor for Bangkok & Saigon.

In Bangkok, Riviera will be at Laem Chabang.....2.5 hrs drive south.

Nautica should / could be at Klong Toey ....30-40 mins into town via a free shuttle.

In Saigon, Riviera  might be at Phu My....75 mins drive into town.

Perhaps it may be a bit further up river towards town....I don't know.

Nautica should / could be at Nah Rong.....this is right in town.

However, I am not sure as to whether these close in docks will still be in use as I haven't used these docks recently.

Also, it appears Nautica has 2 nights in Saigon, Riviera 1 night.

Edited by Tranquility Base

3 hours ago, jhoo said:

Nautica is half the size of Riviera

We like both size of ships  but some  feel the cabins are too small A to G

W/C is very small but functional

just depends on if you can adapt to the smaller ships or not

JMO

6 hours ago, jhoo said:

Is there a difference between Nautica and Riveria on a trip to Asia?

Can't speak to Asia, but in the Caribbean, O seems to charge more for Riviera over the smaller ships. Have a 10-day E. Caribbean cruise on Sirena in Nov 2022. Significantly less expensive than the identical cruises on Riviera in Jan 2023, for example. 

We'v sailed both ships.  Riviera is our favorite ship, and a Concierge veranda offers plenty of space for us - especially the wonderful bath with a shower and tub shower. The baths on R-class ships, including Nautica, are cramped - and for a 10 or greater day cruise, I would only sail Nautica in a Penthouse.  Though I haven't sailed in the 'upgraded' baths on Nautica, the space is likely the same, although the shower now has a glass door rather than the cheesy awful shower curtain of days past.

So the cost (for me) isn't comparable.  Then I add the wonderful spa terrace on Riviera, and the additional specialty restaurants - no contest.  And I'm one of the cruisers who has a sentimental attachment to the R-class ships, having sailed on Renaissance before the birth of Oceania.

Thank you for your info.  My dilemma is I have a PH1 on Riviera Abu Dhabi  to Tokyo and only a concierge with waitlist for PH on Nautica Capetown to Tokyo .  I would really prefer the trip starting in Capetown but worried about the cramped room for 70 plus night.

2 hours ago, jhoo said:

Thank you for your info.  My dilemma is I have a PH1 on Riviera Abu Dhabi  to Tokyo and only a concierge with waitlist for PH on Nautica Capetown to Tokyo .  I would really prefer the trip starting in Capetown but worried about the cramped room for 70 plus night.

Will you spending a lot of time in the cabin??

We find we  are out & about more than not

We are in the cabin to sleep mostly

YMMV

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jhoo said:

Do you have an idea of where you are on the waitlist? Also, as stated in another thread... it helps to be a bit of stalker when you are on the waitlist. I would start phantom reservations and sometimes the category on which I was waitlisted was magically available or a guarantee. I would then immediately call my TA and grab it. It pays to be proactive as sometimes the waitlist communication from O is not 100%... Call it a little obsessive and creepy but it has always gotten me off the waitlist and into the category I want! 😉

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 10:32 AM, Tranquility Base said:

On Nautica, the bathrooms on concierge veranda cabins have recently been updated, along with the rest of the ship.

EG: glass doors have replaced the curtain in the shower.

Which some say is worse than the shower curtains, as the hard doors jam you even tighter into the tiny shower space.

1 hour ago, jhoo said:

Oh me!

Here is a suggestion.

Write down on a piece of paper your main reasons for going on this (these) cruises.

Then write down the pros & cons of each itinerary.

Then write down the pros & cons of each ship.

This visual format may help you focus on what is important for you both.

Remember the old "must have / should have / nice to have" process.

Personally, with a number of cruises and many days in these smaller cabins on R ships we obviously are not fussed about the bathroom / shower. It is way down on our own priority list.

We are far more itinerary / time of year focused.

Writing down your reasons, pros / cons, and "must have" thoughts may help you focus on what is important to you both.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, clairol said:

Do you have an idea of where you are on the waitlist? Also, as stated in another thread... it helps to be a bit of stalker when you are on the waitlist. I would start phantom reservations and sometimes the category on which I was waitlisted was magically available or a guarantee. I would then immediately call my TA and grab it. It pays to be proactive as sometimes the waitlist communication from O is not 100%... Call it a little obsessive and creepy but it has always gotten me off the waitlist and into the category I want! 😉

This worked for me as well. I was able to move from the waitlist to a guarantee penthouse on Sirena. I was “window shopping”/daydreaming and saw the PH guarantee was available. My TA jumped all over that!

• Like 1