Abbott BinaxNow Covid 19 Tests

rgreenba

24 minutes ago, ciera123 said:

Best place to buy these tests???? 

https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-devices/covid-19-home-tests/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-WRBhCKARIsAAId9FlRL6kBsnIygwQmBLgdprZaMKnMr1-RJdsgYnPw3-CRxSh5Om0CyPsaAqLUEALw_wcB

You can get 2-packs and 3-packs from the above link, but be sure to get the ones that come with "eMed Telehealth"

Or you can get 6-packs here:  https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Just now, DCPIV said:

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 39august said:

Can this test be done on an I pad? We do not own an I phone. My husband thinks we can't do this on his I pad.

Yes you can use and iPad.     You may need to prop it up as they need to be able to see both you and the test on the table in front of you for the entire test.    I'm sure many of the cases have the ability to do that or just prop it up against something. 

I would order one package (containing two test kits) per person.  My test went perfectly, but when my husband got to the crucial moment (the 15 minute wait was almost up), for some reason I went to slightly adjust the angle of the phone (bad idea), something went awry and we lost connection.  He had to start from scratch with a new test, so we were very glad to have the spare.

Definitely watch a you tube video first so you know what to expect.

Find a good spot to set everything up (you’ll need to lean your phone against a stack of books or something to hold it in the right position.)  The phone worked better than the Ipad for some reason.  The monitor will help you get the camera positioned correctly.

I was nervous about it beforehand, but all in all, very easy.

9 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I ordered mine from the link on the X website. It was the same price as their website.

9 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I ordered mine from the link on the X website. It was the same price as their website.

Thanks so much! 

We plan to use our ipad but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't prop it to get my nose and table at same time.  I purchased this and it works GREAT.  It tilts in every direction without tipping, including straight down.  I figure I can use it to watch downloads more comfortably as well. Only problem is that it is heavy.  Husband will pack it 🙂

Amazon.com: Nulaxy Adjustable Tablet Stand, Heavy Duty Desktop Tablet Holder Mount, 2-Stage Metal Arm Compatible with 4-11" Phones, Tablets, iPad, Nintendo Switch, Kindle - Updated Version : Electronics

M

Edited by mimbecky
  • Like 2

It's doable on an Ipad, but you have to fiddle with keeping it at the right angle so they can watch things. Get some books or something for it to lean on. It wasn't a graceful experience with all the camera adjustments, but about as easy as it gets for testing. 

We got ours through the Optum website. You can use HSA/FSA money on these as well. Just make sure when you purchase them, that they don't expire before you need them. 

On 3/20/2022 at 10:30 PM, rgreenba said:

If anyone has used the Abbott BinaxNow Covid Test that Celebrity recommends, please tell me about your experience?  Are the medical proctors available 24/7 or only during certain hours.  If you experienced any difficulties with the process, I would appreciate hearing about it.  Someone posted that they were disconnected during the testing procedure and the test was invalidated.  Do you recommend purchasing an extra test in the event problems arise?

DH was disconnect and the system could not read the test. He called and they fixed it after about 30 minutes. We did not need an extra test. Just call them.

Question???  Can an adult help a 11yr old child to do this proctor test with the parent helping.  (Ex opening the box and laying out the items and dripping in the solution).  Has anyone done this?

thank you. 

24 minutes ago, mauimary said:

Question???  Can an adult help a 11yr old child to do this proctor test with the parent helping.  (Ex opening the box and laying out the items and dripping in the solution).  Has anyone done this?

thank you. 

I wouldn't see a problem at all as long as you keep your son and the test in the camera view.   I helped Iain who was having trouble locating the slot to slide QTip into and getting the camera to focus on his drivers license.

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 1:38 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I wouldn't see a problem at all as long as you keep your son and the test in the camera view.   I helped Iain who was having trouble locating the slot to slide QTip into and getting the camera to focus on his drivers license.

Not a problem.  We did ours today and I was standing behind hubby and pointed to various things.  Just keep son in view when asked and keep card in view when asked.

We are so glad that we were able to test with Binox Now, very easy !

The only issue we had was trying to understand the proctor.

Not sure which country they were in, I'm guessing India, a bit difficult to understand.

My suggestion is turn off tv, put the dog outside, go into a quiet room.

The other issue is I'm not sure if it was just me but the I could not connect with iPhone or iPad, I had to use my desktop iMac and had to manipulate the monitor so as to show proctor.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, 39august said:

Can this test be done on an I pad? We do not own an I phone. My husband thinks we can't do this on his I pad.

i did it on my ipad pro without issue.  i have a cover so was able to stand it up like a book  

On 3/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I do recommend using a laptop if you have one available.  There is a lot of moving around of the camera which is more easily done with a laptop than a cell phone or tablet.

I also recommend watching a few videos with people who have taken this test.  YouTube has dozens.  Here's one that specifically covers testing with a smartphone:

DO they have people in the US because I would definitely have a problem with the language barrier/accent.  Had a REALLY HARD understanding this person.

1 hour ago, mickeychicky said:

DO they have people in the US because I would definitely have a problem with the language barrier/accent.  Had a REALLY HARD understanding this person.

Most, if not all, of the proctors I've had had noticeable accents and English as their second language.  I got through the tests smoothly because there was no need for them to go off script with me.  I don't know of a way to ensure a U.S. based proctor, so for you that might be reason enough to consider other testing options.

Our next cruise is a 5 day, so we don't have to test. We have an 8 day in Feb, but I am hoping testing will be done by then. As a quadruple jabbed, I think testing is a waste of time and money. I got Covid in January after an Equinox cruise with 860 people on it. No problem with our Apex 7 night at the end of January or our trans Atlantic to Amsterdam. 

Eather you're going to get it or not. Ours ended up being a "Cold"vid. No big deal.

My opinion? Another way for the cruiseline to make money selling the tests.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Our next cruise is a 5 day, so we don't have to test. We have an 8 day in Feb, but I am hoping testing will be done by then. As a quadruple jabbed, I think testing is a waste of time and money. I got Covid in January after an Equinox cruise with 860 people on it. No problem with our Apex 7 night at the end of January or our trans Atlantic to Amsterdam. 

Eather you're going to get it or not. Ours ended up being a "Cold"vid. No big deal.

My opinion? Another way for the cruiseline to make money selling the tests.

You can use any government test from any major country.  Lots of free tests in US and Canada from the governments.   Cheap at Costco too.  The easiest proctored testing company I know is Rapidtestandtrace.com.   Cheapest OnPoint.  Summitt currently about 7 nights into a 12 night cruise.  Over 1% covid positive per passengers noting masking requirements. 

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You can use any government test from any major country.  Lots of free tests in US and Canada from the governments.   Cheap at Costco too.  The easiest proctored testing company I know is Rapidtestandtrace.com.   Cheapest OnPoint.  Summitt currently about 7 nights into a 12 night cruise.  Over 1% covid positive per passengers noting masking requirements. 

Our local test picks up months old spores and reports as positive and there is no guarantee you will have the results in 48 hours. You are wearing masks on your cruise? Bummer. They asked up to wear masks on the last day of our transatlantic. At that point, why bother? I bought the ticket, I knew the risks.