The Daily for Monday 03/21/2022

richwmn

Today is Credit Card Reduction Day, Fragrance Day, and World Poetry Day

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.--Dr. Seuss, Happy Birthday to You!

Meal Suggestion for today - pork chops
Drink of the Day - Snow Cap
Wine of the Day - Yellow Tail 2019 Pinot Noir (South Eastern Austral
Destination of the Day - Milford Sound, New Zealand

Ships With Passengers

Bridgetown, Barbados

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

Costa Maya, MX

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Ensenada, MX

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Eurodam   08:00 - 15:00
Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Moorea Island, Society Islands, French Polynesia

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 16:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Malaga SP

Volendam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Noordam  

0321World.thumb.png.7644b1a01bac148b5310f2e010ab7048.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Great days.  It's important to pay off your credit card debt.  I should read more poetry.  I enjoy some fragrances, like the scent of fresh flowers in the garden.  I don't enjoy when some people dowse themselves in perfume or aftershave.

Amusing quote.

Hmmm ... pork chops, haven't had those in a few days.  Looking forward to seeing suggestions as to how to prepare them.

I'm sure the drink and wine are tasty.

Hope there are lots of pictures of today's port, someday I'd like to go there. 🤞

Welcome Spring!

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Nice collection of days.  I love the quote and hope you don’t mind if I share it with my SIL Mary whose birthday is today.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice as we’re having them later this week, I’ll snag one of the recipes today.  Have not been to New Zealand but will enjoy the photos. Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.🥂

• Like 27

Thank you Rich for the Daily for the first full day of Spring.  I'm pretty good about keeping my credit cards paid off, like some fragrances but not others, and the Dr. Seuss quote sounds a lot like a nice poem.  I loved Milford Sound both times I was there.  I love pork chops but don't eat them at home.  Most likely next time will be on Adventure of the Seas in May.  My alternative is  Classic Caesar Salad, Broiled New York Striploin, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam March 21, 2019:

dishes21.jpg

Roy

• Like 39

Good morning, everyone.

It is a chilly start this morning, but we're supposed to get up to 65F today.  That will change as the week wears on and next weekend is supposed to be cold.  The only thing planned for today is a trip to the pool this morning.  I am interested in what the drink of the day is.  

Today's meal is wide open.  How do you prepare pork chops?   When I was a kid I was often tasked with the job of making scalloped potatoes and pork chops for dinner.  For some reason, I learned how to do that and the whole family liked my version.  Instead of the chicken broth in this recipe, I used milk.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-scalloped-potatoes/

1500185066_porkchops6.thumb.jpg.5caf058a1fb9ae4b98b22d77b8210a7e.jpg

Here is a recipe for a lightly marinated grilled chop.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/easy-grilled-pork-chops-recipe-2106547

1555019147_porkchops1.jpeg.f0bd29487e1b22cc1d439e2437cc968b.jpeg

Or, how about a good honey garlic chop?   https://cafedelites.com/easy-honey-garlic-pork-chops/

817095733_porkchops2.thumb.jpg.cf4f0b8dc5a7075e9145fddf993182cd.jpg

Here's a recipe for pan seared chops.   It looks like an easy one for a quick supper.   https://www.inspiredtaste.net/37062/juicy-skillet-pork-chops/

255604301_porkchops3.thumb.jpg.27e9580a99eec2984cf83e6d54e9fad0.jpg

And here's a recipe for oven baked chops.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a58720/oven-baked-pork-chops-recipe/

863801267_porkchops4.jpg.be64dd4b8cc2a37e3ecf53cea21a63f3.jpg

Need more ideas?   Check this out:   https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/easy-pork-chop-recipes/

1622074380_porkchops5.jpg.f3b2c36b65b40af9edc9cdc199ce11fd.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers for those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Today’s care list:

RIP Kakalina 3/18/22
Ukraine

Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Welfare of furloughed crews
HAL Sailer DH in hospital with unsure diagnosis
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Buddy still having trouble getting food down
Cruzin Terri DH awaiting dermatology biopsy result
From the rotation:
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Babsjo
Noordam in Everglades

noordpe.thumb.JPG.419546cdb27c2d4d310d60f5b6b5aaa0.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
6 days for Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),  Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy, Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3),  (Niew Statendam  to 4/ 6) at sea
Welcome home GTVCruiser
My Cunard Princess Grill booking
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A brisk but lovely morning here! Last night we had a large snake scare here. My neighbor called me around 9:30 last night to let me know that when they took their dog out for its bedtime walk they saw a huge snake between our two houses. They knew that Bindi and I usually go out a bit later, so they wanted to warn me. We turned on all our outside lights in hopes it would move along. Happily we did not encounter it, though Bindi was certainly champing at the bit to investigate that area.  I am sure we have lots of snakes, but I prefer them to keep their distance. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Your Cunard cabin looks amazing & so well deserved after the year you had! Morning Dailyites! Heading to the gym early. Lots of “stuff” to do here. 

A few Monday smiles…

8EA99B0B-F373-4018-83AB-366FCF071858.jpeg.1007613ce855a85c68e0e1e0641516eb.jpeg

48EC8360-18D8-434E-95C4-BCAE31458FD5.jpeg.97996e63ef837f0cca3129a2adf8a261.jpeg

0A91DBE9-E936-4C2E-944E-3EFE6DE7E087.jpeg.3dc86897dbc91617b9a0cf32cae9c626.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Yellowtail 2019 Pinot Noir
This Australian Pinot Noir has very good ratings, and such a low price one could use this as an everyday table wine. I prefer my PN to be more full bodied, like Meiomi, but for this price, I would make the supreme sacrifice 😉and try it. Lots of online distributors with prices starting at $4.98 at Walmart!

Winemaker’s notes

This [yellow tail] Pinot Noir is everything a great wine should be – bright, juicy and easy to drink.  Soft and velvety, with notes of cherries, red berries and a hint of sweet spice? Great With picnic food or just relaxing after a long day.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

Good morning.  Always pay off the CC as soon as it comes in.  Do not like debt.  Do not wear fragrance and find it very annoying most times.  Like to listen to good poetry.  Have not been to today's destination, looking forward to the photo's.  Love pork chops but can't seem to cook them correctly.  Will order them on a BHB.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, and wear your mask.

Snow Cap:

3 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
2 tbsp Sugar, Powdered
6 tbsp Heavy Cream
2 parts JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
To taste
Nutmeg
Garnish
Orange Twist

Instructions
Stir ingredients together and pour over crushed ice. Garnish with nutmeg and orange twist. Serve in small brandy snifter.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 7.52.25 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. I always pay off our credit card every month so I never have an outstanding balance. I’ve become allergic to all fragrances , and while I don’t write it, I love reading poetry.

After finding out yesterday that our aide has been arrested for physically abusing his wife in a domestic dispute and realizing the agency doesn’t know because they didn’t recheck his criminal record in between cases he was working privately, we were left speechless. If I tell the agency, they will pull him right out and  Sam wants him to stay until after his surgery because he wants someone who knows his routine to be here to help him but my kids and we all agree he has to go. I  don’t think I’m in any danger because he knows he would go right to jail if he did anything here and we don’t know if he was actually convicted because there are some initials after his record that they used to indicate non long term imprisonment because of covid. So, while we wait for the other agency that is run by a man from the Ukraine who may or may not be having a hard time with what is going on there , we just wait .

Someone suggested I write a book, but no one would believe it.

Stay safe everyone,Carol

• Like 17
  • Thanks 16

Good afternoon.

46°F and sunny here in NE England.

Our tree man was at ours this morning cutting and shaping our conifers.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you for the various lists Roy.

I worked in a bank for 3 years in my Teen years and pay our balance in full every month to save high interest charges.

Paulines favourite perfume is Christian Dior Diorella 

My favourite after shaves are Bulgari Man and One in a Million.

Pauline loves poetry as did my late dad.

Nice food but will miss on the drink.

Never been to today's port but i paid for an all inclusive 30 day cruise and stay in Australia and New Zealand for Pauline's sister and her husband for his 60th birthday before they decided they wanted nothing to do with us and their daughter our Sarah 7 years ago.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a sad morning in Pa. , A traffic accident In Philadelphia overnight has left 2 State Troopers and a civilian dead. I-95 is closed and traffic is a mess. 🙏💔to the family.

I prefer my pork chops boneless and use sea salt (Alaska pure blueberry from Sitka)for flavor.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏🎉

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

Good morning to all. It is chilly here but promises to be warm later.I used to wear some light fragrances but have become very sensitive to them in my old age.We have been trying to only use a debit card lately with good results.Of course if I talk DH into cruising on Cunard in the future that might change. I like the quote and have not been to the port.

@dfish, Debbie, I think we grew up in very similar households especially regarding menus. The executive Chef opted for the first recipe and promised to use the mandolin slicer for the potatoes. We had a good laugh about our appetites. She takes steroids for the respiratory issues and can really eat!  I have no excuse,just always hungry these days.

Roy @rafinmd,  we are hopeful that the pneumonia is behind us and things are at least stays quo here now. Tana and our entire extended family thank you for inclusion on the list when things were not good. We would like to cede that space to others who need it. This situation is ongoing but hopefully we can keep things comfortable. Thank you all so much.

Terry 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a sad morning in Pa. , A traffic accident In Philadelphia overnight has left 2 State Troopers and a civilian dead. I-95 is closed and traffic is a mess. 🙏💔to the family.

I prefer my pork chops boneless and use sea salt (Alaska pure blueberry from Sitka)for flavor.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏🎉

So sorry to hear this sad news.

Our prayers 🙏 and condolences for their families and friends.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday morning.  Back to being caught up again.  I have autopay so my cc gets paid in full every month.  I love fragrance and miss the old fragrances that were made with flower essences and not chemicals.   I am not really a fan of poetry and that is why the Suess quote is so important, we are who we are.  

Love pork chops!  We had  pork tenderloin yesterday so I think today will be brats since it is going to be a beautiful day so we can grill.  The snow cap looks too rich for me, I'd rather have some pie.   YT Pinot Noir, no.  Haven't been to NZ yet. 

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, prayers for the people of Ukraine and the countries that are sacrificing to care for the refugees.   I hope everyone has a nice day.  We are going to have another sunny day in the 60s and then it returns to MI March weather.  Rain and cold.  I am going to try to get my 4th COVID shot so if I am sick in bed for a day it will be OK.   This morning's sunrise.   

sunrise 32222.JPG

• Like 35

24 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish, Debbie, I think we grew up in very similar households especially regarding menus. The executive Chef opted for the first recipe and promised to use the mandolin slicer for the potatoes. We had a good laugh about our appetites. She takes steroids for the respiratory issues and can really eat!  I have no excuse,just always hungry these days.

Terry 

Great choice for your meal.  I don't eat many potatoes these days due to carbs, so I'm skipping it now.  Another thing the family always wanted me to make was rice pudding.  For some reason, they thought my rice pudding was wonderful.  It was the recipe off the back of the Minute Rice box.  My mom always asked me to make the frosting for the cakes in the house.  She said my buttercream was better than hers.  I'm not sure that is true, but it worked to get me to make it.

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

Good morning friends!  Looking forward to a nice warm day in the 70's later on.  We unfortunately will be seeing the southern storm that is passing through the country by Wednesday.  And that is the day DH has his dental cleaning so he will be out driving in it.  All who are in the path of the storm please take care.  Hope you are safe Joy @Seasick Sailorand Allen!  Watch out for tornadoes!  @1ANGELCATI'm sorry to hear of that terrible accident there in Pennsylvania.  Prayers for those who perished and their families.🙏  And Graham @grapau27 I am speechless at the behavior of Pauline's sister and brother-in-law (I could not designate them as dear).  You are all better off without them in your daily lives.  @Mr. Bostonhappy birthday to your DSIL!  🎂

Thanks today to Rich @richwmnfor posting our Daily.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor continuing our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers this morning were said for all of the brave people of Ukraine and the helping countries.  Also for everyone on the Daily Care list, especially Buddy and Jen.  Buddy is coming along very slowly, but I'm not sure Jen will improve much.  I can still ask for that in my prayers though. 🙏 Cheers to all those celebrating!🥂  For our days to honor, we prefer to pay our credit card bills on autopay like many others here.  Helps when we're traveling for months at a time.  A salute to poetry day.  I also rarely wear fragrances and don't care for heavy fragrances some people like to douse themselves in.  I heard today is also World Down Syndrome Day so a cheer to them as well.  We actually had pork chops for dinner last night with my scalloped potatoes recipe.  For some reason that combo just seems to work, like Debbie @dfishmentioned.  All the photos of the pork chops looked great, so thanks for that.  

We visited Milford Sound, NZ twice.  In 2013 on Diamond Princess it was a misty, damp day.  In 2017 on Sun Princess it was quite a beautiful day.  I'll post a few photos for everyone as soon as I can locate them.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Mona, my alarm clock, went off early this morning.  Mona tried to bite my hand since it wasn’t petting her at 4am.  It might have hurt except she has very few teeth so I just got wet.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish recipes look good.  
image.thumb.png.92da60981e12c4c0c4f47a4bd9322724.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A number of years ago we paid our credit card off in full and continue to do so monthly, rather than accumulating debt.  I rarely wear fragrance these days, but have a lot of it waiting to be used.  I remember my first ever perfume was a teeny tiny bottle from the 5 and 10 cent store, purchased with my allowance - Evening In Paris.  I appreciate some poetry, but don't always enjoy having it read or spoken to me.

Today is also the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, something that should be observed every day of the year.

It's +1 here this morning, which is great for the first full day of spring - yesterday we had rain which certainly helped to bring down the height of the snow in the yard.   We've now only got a couple of inches covering the roof which is great compared to the nearly 3 feet that built up over the winter. Overnight however, it looks like we may have had freezing rain, as the streets are glossy under the lights.  There's snow in the forecast for the morning, but it likely won't amount to much more than a nuisance.

@Mr. BostonHappy Birthday to your SIL.

@cat shepardI abhor snakes and if I heard there was one even near the house, I'd be calling animal control faster than you could blink an eye.

I've had today's wine, but have never found it priced anywhere near $4.98, at least not in Canada.  We like pork chops, but we had them not long ago, so will look at the recipes and decide which one to use next time I make them.  Today there are a couple of small steaks thawing in the fridge that will be turned into DH's favourite meal - beef stroganoff.  Stroganoff and salad will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all those who are helping them.  Extra prayers for our Daily-ite family who are suffering health related issues.  We'll clink our glasses together in celebration of all who make up our happy list.  Wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, be well, get your boosters, and stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites! @dfish Thank you for the recipes.   DH is in charge of porkchops.

I have no luck with them.  My mom used to fix a pork chop meal in al electric fry pan, all cooked in olive oil. it had celery, potatoes and carrots.  She would often burn the carrots, and I love them that way, a great substitute for french fries. 

I have found that i can spend an hour or two working on a grocery list, only to find now, that what i am looking for is no longer available at the store.  I was going to cook country style ribs, and when we were shopping yesterday, I realized that I hadn't seen them for a while.  And they were not at the store that we went to yesterday either.  I ended up buying pork shoulder steaks...never had those before, but am planning on cooking them in the oven, with BBQ sauce.  They look like they would be good on the grill, but that's not in the plan for today.

Me and my credit cards are old friends, but while i have paid off a few recently, I'm not good at paying the darn things off in a timely manner.  One more will get paid off this month, and then I will get another one paid off in the next two months.  Yeah.

image.png

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 21
  • Haha 7

This poem was written by Bono and read by Nancy Pelosi on March 17 at the annual Friends of Ireland luncheon at the White House. 

Oh saint Patrick he drove out the snakes
With his prayers but that’s not all it takes
For the snake symbolizes
An evil that rises
And hides in your heart
As it breaks
And the evil has risen my friends
From the darkness that lives in some men
But in sorrow and fear
That’s when saints can appear
To drive out those old snakes once again
And they struggle for us to be free
From the psycho in this human family
Ireland’s sorrow and pain
Is now the Ukraine
And saint Patrick’s name now Zelenskyy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

26 minutes ago, dfish said:

Great choice for your meal.  I don't eat many potatoes these days due to carbs, so I'm skipping it now.  Another thing the family always wanted me to make was rice pudding.  For some reason, they thought my rice pudding was wonderful.  It was the recipe off the back of the Minute Rice box.  My mom always asked me to make the frosting for the cakes in the house.  She said my buttercream was better than hers.  I'm not sure that is true, but it worked to get me to make it.

I also used the Minute Rice recipe for Swedish Smorgasbord  Christmas Eve.The very critical Swedish uncles had no idea they were praising an easy recipe and not the "Old World" version.  I never gave up my secret.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

On December 18, 2013 the Diamond Princess made its way into Milford Sound for some scenic cruising.  Unfortunately it was not the best weather but you make the best of it.  Some of our crew were out and about and I thought this was a cute photo of them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2Dn_xDjzgvzyI8JQCTz1c?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388708110

This was what the morning looked like for the most part.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1G8prx20t6zbRRLSldqWE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388710662

To get a better look, I'll move on to the Sun Princess Milford Sound visit on Nov. 29, 2017.  Entering Milford Sound.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwxLURt6Q-nRgSX9pAQ44-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621029

It was interesting to see the rings of clouds surrounding some peaks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJaa8heAM3qKYeo1g_YhmP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621040

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmxU649KSOGLdTcdEm5KK9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621108

I must say it was pretty cold out on the decks with the ship's movement and the chilly air giving you quite a wind chill factor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlLkttjiEhqIDkLEFPwbac?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621197

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQrd2AUxhTGCWjhtThUK3Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647868366

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_HDWjIWS4kMiaDB1uIo1f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621272

From there the ship sailed through Thompson, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds.  I think Milford was my favorite.  This is the type of weather you dream of when scenic cruising but we take what we can get!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10