The Daily for Friday 03/25/2022

richwmn

Today is Feast of the Annunciation, Pecan Day, and Waffle Day

If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Fish Fry
Drink of the Day - Sideline Sipper
Wine of the Day - Alvear NV Oloroso Asuncion Pedro Ximenez (Montilla
Destination of the Day - Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji Islands

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Cristobal PA eta 3/26
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Half Moon Cay, BS eta 3/26
Rotterdam   Destination Port Everglades, F eta 3/27

Avalon CA US

Koningsdam   15:00 - 22:00

Half Moon Cay, BS

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Hiva, OA

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport, BS

Noordam  

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Malaga SP

Volendam   Anchorage

0325World.thumb.png.da794324914e4923864e8f04dcf4d492.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 17

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  I love pecans in butter tarts.  I haven't made waffles in ages.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I bake fish sometimes, so need some new recipes.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

We've got snow flurries again, so pictures of a sunny Fiji are most welcome.

We made a trip out of town yesterday, rainy in the morning but not a bad day for travel.  At one point I had to stop the car for deer running across the road.  A little later we spotted a large group of tundra swans in a pond in a farmers field.  they are heading north for the summer.  On the way home, we saw a bald eagle.  A good day out and a good day for seeing wildlife. 

We don't have a mask mandate in Ontario and at the stores we visited, I would say about 80% of the shoppers wore masks.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and happy Friday!  Thanks for the daily report.  Nice collection of days and I do enjoy pecans. Interesting quote I think DH feels that way about struggling through Ulysses last year, never again he said!  The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  Today’s port is on my retirement bucket list, looking forward to seeing the photos. Prayers for everyone on today’s list and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 26

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I do not really celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation but many do.  Pecans are not my favorite nut but I do enjoy them.  I've been to Suva just once, in 1918.  Personally, I think Wilde missed the mark on this one.  Today is also Maryland day commemorating the March 25, 1634 arrival of the Ark and the Dove carrying the first colonists to what would become Maryland.  I'll pass on the  fish fry.  My alternative is waffles, especially the freshly made ones on a BHB which I likely enjoyed March 25, 2019 before disembarking MS Prinsendam for the last time.  I don't have a photo of that but "Waffles on the Bridge" was the first event for full world cruisers on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise:

waffles.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP  Kakalina 3/18/22
RIP  PA Troopers Branden T Sisca and Martin F Mack

Strength for Jacqui as she waits for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Strength for Marshwawk and DH
Tana with rough nights
Polly acriss Rainbow Bridge
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
ger_77 DH awaiting pacemaker
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
Jose on a waiting list for a good facility
Cruzin Terri good numbers and diagnosis for DH
5 days for Crazy for Cats (Eurodam 3/30 to 4/10)
2 days for Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I do not really celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation but many do.  Pecans are not my favorite nut but I do enjoy them.  I've been to Suva just once, in 1918.  Personally, I think Wilde missed the mark on this one.  Today is also Maryland day commemorating the March 25, 1634 arrival of the Ark and the Dove carrying the first colonists to what would become Maryland.  I'll pass on the  fish fry.  My alternative is waffles, especially the freshly made ones on a BHB which I likely enjoyed March 25, 2019 before disembarking MS Prinsendam for the last time.  I don't have a photo of that but "Waffles on the Bridge" was the first event for full world cruisers on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise:

waffles.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP  Kakalina 3/18/22
RIP  PA Troopers Branden T Sisca and Martin F Mack

Strength for Jacqui as she waits for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Strength for Marshwawk and DH
Tana with rough nights
Polly acriss Rainbow Bridge
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
ger_77 DH awaiting pacemaker
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
Jose on a waiting list for a good facility
Cruzin Terri good numbers and diagnosis for DH
5 days for Crazy for Cats (Eurodam 3/30 to 4/10)
2 days for Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Yjanks for the Lists Roy.  Annunciation Feast occurs nine months before Christmas!

• Like 13

Good morning! Another night of rocking on the high seas! Nothing overly dramatic but you definitely know your on a ship. We understand that ships bend and creak but this cabin #7068 has some major noise issues. They did offer to move us but we didn’t want to go through that hassle.

Last night we had a delicious dinner at Nami Sushi. If one has a future cruise coming up I would highly recommend advance reservations if possible. I think there are so many cruisers sailing with Have It All it is packing the specialty restaurants. We cancelled a Pinnacle due to conflicting events and couldn’t get a booking until next week. They may be taking less reservations due to manning. From what I can gather the crew is running around 80% manning. We haven’t eaten in MDR and only one night in Club Orange which went well other then the spoiled liver!

Another sea day followed by another one  tomorrow; then we turn around and do another week. That is if we pass our Covid test tomorrow. BB King band is on a temporary no performing hold as precautions of one band member is having some symptoms that warranted monitoring.

The gals are telling me to get a move on so we can go to Club Orange for breakfast.

Have a great day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

It is late morning here sunny and 62°F.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days.

Once Pauline or  I read a book we never re-read it. 

Food sounds nice but not sure about the drink.

Fiji sounds exotic and to far away for us but it will be nice to see photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they will help.

I hope everyone has a nice day and weekend.

Our clocks go forward 1 hour at 2am Sunday morning in the UK.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220325_113132.jpg

Screenshot_20220325_113322.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

It is looking to be a cold weekend here in northeast Ohio.  Not much on the agenda for today besides the pool, but that is ok.  Just a quick stop by the grocery store for the stuff I forgot on Tuesday and the day is mine!  

One of my favorite meals is fish and chips.   So, a good fish fry is right up there in top place to me.  I generally don't do the french fries and substitute a vegetable so that I don't over do on the carbs.  I hope you'll find a recipe here that you'd like.  Here's one from Rachael Ray.   Don't forget the malt vinegar to put on it!   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/fish-fry-recipe-1939977

321061462_FishFry1.jpeg.34eaad9dfcabeffd9e7072e37014bf0d.jpeg

Next up is a recipe from Southern Living.   https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/fish-fry

366836265_fishfry2.thumb.jpg.367326d7962b015eb03b221d21208dc1.jpg

There used to be a restaurant close by that had the best beer battered fish with Lake Erie walleye.  Unfortunately, they closed so I am in search of the next one.  I may have found it, but they won't let me substitute broccoli for the fries.   https://www.beyondthechickencoop.com/beer-battered-fish/

526293414_fishfry3.thumb.jpg.5cd2f60e98543a59ca4f1efad7457584.jpg

If you want to cut down on the grease associated with fried fish, here's a recipe for the air fryer.  https://littlesunnykitchen.com/air-fryer-fish/

1426231114_fishfry4.thumb.jpg.392fe09c385bea5475f58b3518dc2d03.jpg

I couldn't resist including this recipe that I would like to try.  The flavors sound marvelous. This incorporates Indian cuisine into our fish fries and would make a great meal.   How different from the ho hum!    https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/fish-fry-recipe/

174635057_fishfry5.thumb.jpg.92b6c2a8081a5aee3395b7b7c1273cac.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family in need.  Cheers for all who are celebrating and we have some great news to celebrate!     Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today is also Maryland day commemorating the March 25, 1634 arrival of the Ark and the Dove carrying the first colonists to what would become Maryland.

This reminded me of when the students at St. Mary's College (near the landing site of the Ark & Dove) spent a semester in 2011, living on a cruise ship, the 300-foot Sea Voyager, docked in a river just off campus. It served as a floating residence hall because two dorms infested with mold spores were deemed uninhabitable.  A former student told me he enjoyed the experience.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I confess to loving pecans more than any other nut. Not the healthiest choice, but boy are they tasty. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! The rains appeared to have moved through and the sun is peaking through the morning marine layer. Lots of “stuff” to get done today. Tonight I am helping a friend rehang pictures on her freshly painted walls. We will enjoy a Panera Baja bowl and some wine after the work is done.

Some Friday smiles…..

8F1CE429-9A85-4857-A947-4D8309792598.jpeg.177cb2840a480b28514f8b975f8ac24b.jpeg

597456B4-99AE-4BE9-8F6C-C1E7E2CB4B28.jpeg.6265fd856bd0966e5b6827db9f8c2f0d.jpeg

5891CA9D-1AF7-4BAF-B81F-9FF4532D4B40.jpeg.6fef7d33150f6c82a58f5810a2de9ee7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Alvear NV Oloroso Asuncion Pedro Ximenez

This sherry has a lot of fans. Excellent ratings and a reasonable price. Not really a fan of sherries, so I would probably not even taste it. Several online distributors with prices starting at $22.98 for a half bottle. 
Winemaker Notes

Dark amber color with hues of old gold. Deep, raisiny and nutty intense aromas and dry to very dry flavor. Reminiscent of delicate toasted pastries. It is silky and soft on the palate with hints of tasted walnut and nuts. It is full, elegant and long in the finish.
WS92 Wine Spectator
A beauty, with praline, flan and salted caramel notes lending a flattering edge. The core of bitter orange, gingerbread and green tea is decidedly firm and taut, while the finish picks up dried peach and passion fruit echoes.
JD92 Jeb Dunnuck
The NV Oloroso Asunción is a fortified effort made in a Solera, oxidative, off-dry style and sees 12-15 years in barrel. This medium to full-bodied, sweetly fruited effort has a layered, textured style that makes it a joy to drink as well as terrific notes of spice cabinet, caramel, and sautéed citrus fruits. Its sweetness is beautifully balanced, it has tons of charm, and it’s going to age forever in bottle.
JS92 James Suckling

A pure pedro ximenez, aged to an average of 25 years, this has a deep, golden color and notes of toffee and mushroom, as well as a grilled biscuit-like edge. Super focused, sapid and salty mineral finish, amid smooth, layered texture. Drink now.

RP90 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Dark amber in color, the NV Asuncion Oloroso (100% Pedro Ximenez) shows honeyed caramel, nuts and almond-paste, but is richer and gives the impression of a relatively dry finish. Drink now through 2030, or even longer.
WE90 Wine Enthusiast
Starts out closed and dense, but with airing it hits its stride. The palate is full and chunky, with creamy, sweet flavors of honey, toffee and nuts. Shows fine texture and acidity, with toast, raisin, fig and date notes on the finish. While this may be a "dry styled" wine from Andalusia, it’s more rich than dry.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Good morning.It will get up to 60 later today and I promised  the dogs a longer walk. Waffles and pecan days are worthy of celebration .I noticed some of my neighbors  are home today as we struggle with alternate side of the street parking.Their children attend the local Catholic school and probably have the day off for the  Holy Day. I finally found a spot for my car about 6 blocks away.It is better than the large ticket.

Dinner last night was good and I would make it again. Tana enthusiastically supported fried fish and Rachel Ray's recipe for tonight.I hope all of the windows can be open! DD is talking about getting us an air fryer.....

We have not been to the port.I look forward to pictures.

Terry

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.

Thank you Rich for the Daily. And to Roy for the Cares and Celebration list.  Also Thank you for including DH and me on the celebration list.

I feel so tired this morning. Guess I am not used to doing the round trip to Jacksonville in one day anymore.  But we don’t have many days left before we leave and felt we did not want to stay overnight.

It is an interesting collection of days.  

I am aware of Annunciation Day but it is interesting to learn of its connection to waffles.Thank you @grapau27for that information. So i will make some waffles this morning for us.  DH likes them as do I and it will be good for a celebratory breakfast.  

Pecans—now that we live in the South, I eat them once in a while, but occasionally use them in recipes.

I do like fish and chips but have not had it lately.  Our parish has a fish fry on Friday evenings during Lent, but we do not attend as a precautionary measure.

Will wait to hear about the wine.  Hope the price is within reason.  We are trying to get ideas for wines to bring on board our cruise.  It is nice that Oceania allows us to bring on as much wine as we wish and only pay the corkage if we bring the bottle to the dining room or consume it outside of our stateroom. However we will probably purchase our wine in the ports we visit.

Have not been to today’s port.  We are looking forward to visiting yesterday’s port of Palma de Mallorca and thank you to those that posted photos yesterday.

Prayers to all that need them especially @kazu and Jose and Marley.  Prayers for Tana, Jen, Buddy.  Also for @marshhaw and her DH.  And @Rosby316

Thank you Debbie for the recipes. While they look good, too much work today.

Cheers for those celebrating and cruising.  

I hope everyone has a great Friday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd  Ummm....are you the world's oldest cruiser- here is what you wrote in your post this morning-

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I do not really celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation but many do.  Pecans are not my favorite nut but I do enjoy them.  I've been to Suva just once, in 1918.  Personally, I think Wilde missed the mark on this one.  Today is also Maryland day

You were in Suva in 1918?    Ee gads!!!!

I love pecan pie, and pecans in my waffles!  DH makes good waffles, I make toaster waffles.

Yesterday, I was just about to make a sale, and the computer disconnected from the "cloud".  Thought it was me, and I texted one of he assistants,  he couldn't take the sale, he was more IT,  i guess, and told me to contact the other assistant, and it turns out, that everyone on the sight, lost connection-world wide.  And the boss had the afternoon off.  Ha! 

• Like 23
  • Haha 10

9 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@rafinmd  Ummm....are you the world's oldest cruiser- here is what you wrote in your post this morning-

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I do not really celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation but many do.  Pecans are not my favorite nut but I do enjoy them.  I've been to Suva just once, in 1918.  Personally, I think Wilde missed the mark on this one.  Today is also Maryland day

You were in Suva in 1918?    Ee gads!!!!

I love pecan pie, and pecans in my waffles!  DH makes good waffles, I make toaster waffles.

Yesterday, I was just about to make a sale, and the computer disconnected from the "cloud".  Thought it was me, and I texted one of he assistants,  he couldn't take the sale, he was more IT,  i guess, and told me to contact the other assistant, and it turns out, that everyone on the sight, lost connection-world wide.  And the boss had the afternoon off.  Ha! 

Ann, I noticed that too & was just about to comment. 😎

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Feast of Annunciation is a special Holy Day for many.  Love pecans baked in a delicious bun/roll - especially on a BHB 😉 

I disagree with Oscar Wilde on reading books.  The meal suggestion sounds like a good one to me.

38E61F0C-40E6-43E3-8FE7-7665E4549FA8.jpeg.42055f7557fb6abe80af84645ac9da29.jpeg

You know the expression no news is good news?  Well, it would be better if I had no news.  Marley’s cancer has pushed against his nerves so his muscles aren’t getting the message and his shoulder has no muscle working 😔 New prescription but he is so bad this morning, I am calling the vet to see if I should wait hoping the prescription helps or….

E4012DCB-C9BA-4335-B171-839B53F4FEE3.thumb.jpeg.c88990b7f65b2476a6cc77c49fbf6f50.jpeg

@erewhonI was so sorry to hear of the loss of your fur baby 😔.  it’s so hard to say good bye to our precious family members 😢 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, Ukraine & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a good Friday everyone !!!!!!

C0FAF5C8-BE47-4784-BE04-8CA89AA3FE8A.jpeg.0bb907b328c9954622e9166006868b6e.jpegC0FAF5C8-BE47-4784-BE04-8CA89AA3FE8A.jpeg.0bb907b328c9954622e9166006868b6e.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks when needed.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2