Beware of Parasailing excursion weight limit at Catalina Island, especially little kid.

mkkao924

Just came back from Radiance. While we had a good time on Radiance, this specific excursion was a huge let down for us.

We are family of three, dad, daughter (10) and son (5). Nowhere in the requirement did it mention that there is a minimal weight of 45 lbs for each personnel. Only a combined minimum weight of 160 lbs. When we showed up at excursion booth, we were told my son was not able to do the excursion, and my daughter (10) is not old enough to go on the excursion by herself. At the end, not only my and my son were not able to do the excursion (because I need to stay on boat to watch my son), and we were forced to pay the so-called "observer ticket". We also need to "beg" another family to take my daughter to fly one more time, really grateful for them to help out, but again, huge let down that our family cannot do this together.

I am still trying to figure out how to dispute this with Carnival. Anybody got any recommendations?

Here is the link to Carnival's excursion description: https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/catalina-island/catalina-parasailing-107044

Here is the requirement directly quoted from the above link.

Requirements & Restrictions: Minimum age – 5 years. Minimum combined weight – 160 lbs. Maximum combined weight between 2 or 3 guests – 450 lbs. Maximum weight for each harness - 250 lbs. and is strictly monitored for your safety. For safety reasons, pregnant women and guests with back or neck injuries, heart conditions or any other physical conditions may not participate on this excursion. 

They should have disclosed the minimum weight requirement and the observer fee. 

In my work I am a rigger and regularly fly heavy loads over peoples heads and fly people through the air on stage. There is no way I would go aloft in that equipment nor allow a child to do it under any circumstances. That is not to say the equipment is not certified and inspected for safety, I would be very afraid to use that style of harness and rigging tackle. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, iamsteph said:

You should have gone to guest services that evening to discuss it with them, they could have easily remedied the problem (refunding money, etc.).   The best you can do now is send an email to customer service. 

I went to guest service, and the best they were willing to do is to refund my full price ticket x 3 to be 1 full price ticket (my daughter) and 2 observer ticket (me and my son), which I think it's totally unfair.

7 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

I went to guest service, and the best they were willing to do is to refund my full price ticket x 3 to be 1 full price ticket (my daughter) and 2 observer ticket (me and my son), which I think it's totally unfair.

I don't really think it's unfair. You got there and were told your son couldn't parasail.  At that point, you could cancel the entire thing and take the refund.  You didn't, you still chose to go on the excursion, with your daughter participating and you and your son there for the ride.  I would have taken what guest services offered and made sure they would check into it to update the requirements of the excursion if necessary. 

• Like 4

Imagine how this would be if one of the kids got injured or worse?  Can happen if seat belt/harness isn't properly fastened or has room for an underweight or undersized kid to fall through

Look at the tragic fall from a Florida free fall ride that just happened.  Or when 2 teenage girls hit a rooftop hotel while parasailing.

Perhaps the OP should be thanking the excursion staff for not allowing the undersized kid to participate.

6 hours ago, iamsteph said:

I don't really think it's unfair. You got there and were told your son couldn't parasail.  At that point, you could cancel the entire thing and take the refund.  You didn't, you still chose to go on the excursion, with your daughter participating and you and your son there for the ride.  I would have taken what guest services offered and made sure they would check into it to update the requirements of the excursion if necessary. 

Yes, I could take the refund and waste my entire day on Catalina Island and disappoint my daughter. No thanks. It's not my job to make sure Carnival is doing theirs. Carnival screwed up on the weight limitation and cause damage to my vacation, plain and simple. I am asking for the compensation for my loss.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Imagine how this would be if one of the kids got injured or worse?  Can happen if seat belt/harness isn't properly fastened or has room for an underweight or undersized kid to fall through

Look at the tragic fall from a Florida free fall ride that just happened.  Or when 2 teenage girls hit a rooftop hotel while parasailing.

Perhaps the OP should be thanking the excursion staff for not allowing the undersized kid to participate.

I agree with you, and I do appreciate the excursion staff (actually I don't think she was Carnival employee, I believe she was tour operator) caught this and stopped us from going. I would never send my son to do the excursion if he doesn't meet the requirement.

That being said, this is not the same as "unexpected weather" or "unforeseen circumstance". This requirement is always there, and Carnival simply fails to disclose this in their excursion description.