Ovation of the Seas-Alaska-May 5, 2022-May 13, 2022

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

""Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!""

graphicguy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

It's been a while since I sailed Royal (about 5 years).  But, I have sailed her sister, Celebrity, pretty often since the start up.  I don't know if "live" reports are as popular with the Royal crew as they have been with the Celebrity crew.  If not, I'll make this short an sweet and forego any real time reporting and planning.

• Like 6

Graphicguy,

I am going on this cruise too! I have read some of your live reviews on Celebrity! I enjoyed reading them & I will be looking to see what you have to say about this one! Maybe we’ll see you on board!

Barbara

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chase101 said:

Graphicguy,

I am going on this cruise too! I have read some of your live reviews on Celebrity! I enjoyed reading them & I will be looking to see what you have to say about this one! Maybe we’ll see you on board!

Barbara

Thanks!  Hope to meet up!

Planning is a lot less post worthy than the actual cruise.  But it may help others plan.

Stay tuned!

• Like 1

As mentioned in the title, sailing OVATION of the SEAS at the beginning of May.  I little strange given it’s originating in Vancouver, BC and ending in Seattle, WA.  But, there are some distinct advantages to that.

1.  Vancouver is one of my top 10 cities in the world.  So, I’ll get to spend a day there before the cruise.

2.  Fares a a bit lower given it’s not a true round trip from the city you embark in and a different city you disembark from.

My Elite status on Celebrity transfers to Diamond on Royal.  That doesn’t net me a lot, but the 4 free drinks per day is nice, and will preclude me from paying for one of the drink packages.  I addition to the 4 free drinks, I can’t imagine myself drinking that much more to make the drink packages a better value.

And, I’ll have access to a Concierge in the Diamond Lounge, which will prove helpful.

I’ve recently retired (a year next month).  My GF, on the other hand, is not.  My schedule is very flexible.  Her’s is not.  Have done solo cruises in the past.  And, as a result, will be solo on this one, too.

Trying to figure out the requirements for travel to Canada, to Alaska, to Seattle, is a little like playing “Whack-A-Mole”.  

But, just found this on the “travel.gc.ca” web site…

”STARTING APRIL 1, 2022, PRE-ENTRY TESTS WILL NO LONGER BE REQUIRED FOR FULLY VACCINATED TRAVELERS ENTERING CANADA BY LAND, AIR OR WATER.  UNTIL THEN, FOLOW THE PRE-ENTRY TEST REQUIREMENTS.  YOU MUST STILL USE ARRIVECAN BEFORE AND AFTER APRIL 1.”

ARRIVECAN is an app that you can upload proof of your vaccination, passport info, etc.  I have it downloaded on my iPhone.  I assume it can be downloaded to Android also.  Some of the info (as in how you’re feeling on the day you’re traveling) can’t be answered until right before you hit the boarder.

But again, it’s mandatory.

• Like 2

Hadn't looked at Royal for a while....5 years ago, to be exact.  Obviously, nearly 2 years of that was the shutdown.  Then, Royal seemed to be vacillating on their protocols upon startup.  They were trying to be all things to all people, which we all know, just doesn't work.  Masked?  Unmasked?  Vaccinated can go here?  Unvaccinated can't go there?  Seemed like a bug cluster to me.

Then, they adapted their sister's (Celebrity) protocols, which I felt were the best way forward.  No ambivalence.  

For those of you who are not familiar with them, they're simple...

-Everyone over 12 years old must be VACCINATED to sail

-Negative COVID test must be presented by any guest 2 years old and older

-Masks are optional for all who are fully vaccinated 

-All crew are fully vaccinated and tested weekly

No "what if this...what if that".  The protocols are clear, effective and easily understandable.

Given the GF's rigid work schedule, we've come to the conclusion that I'll pick a date and area to cruise, and she either can or can't cruise with me.  We're about 50-50 on that count.  But again, I'm retired (and want to travel).  She is not retired and is restricted.  Is it ideal?  No!  But, that's what she gets for being younger than me (j/k).

The next question, where to go?  Lord knows I've been ALL OVER the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda and Mexico.  Been all over Europe and would rather do something a little more grand than just cruise from city to city for a few hours.  Baltics are...well....a little too close for comfort to current world conflicts.  Hawaii?   That's a place I would rather go to and stay put for a week (or more).

Alaska?  Was there last Fall.  Loved it.  But, I was using the last of my FCCs from NCL at the time (who I'm pretty steamed at with how they reneged on several promises made during initial startups to those of us who they committed to refund, and then didn't).  Clearly, none of the ports or excursions were ready for cruise ships docking again.  As breathtaking as the scenery was, getting off at port could be best described as unprepared for cruise guests...even at reduced capacity.  Plus, stopping off in Canada was not a possibility.  So, the itineraries were a bit kludgy.  Make no mistake...still had a good time.

Let's give Alaska another twirl.

This Spring/Summer/Fall there is no scarcity of cruise lines going there.  Which one?  NCL?  Still frosted about how they treated me and reneged on their promises.  HAL...nothing wrong with them.  Had one cruise with them and they just weren't my cup of tea.  Celebrity?  Love them.  Royal?  Hmmm...haven't sailed with them for a while.  Let's look at them.

(Cont)

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 3:23 PM, graphicguy said:

It's been a while since I sailed Royal (about 5 years).  But, I have sailed her sister, Celebrity, pretty often since the start up.  I don't know if "live" reports are as popular with the Royal crew as they have been with the Celebrity crew.  If not, I'll make this short an sweet and forego any real time reporting and planning.

I think you went on a Celebrity one about the same time we did! Planning on taking our kids on Quantum to Alaska. I’ll look forward to your report. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, secondtime said:

A Covid test is required by Canada to embark or disembark a cruise ship there.  Not need for flights or land travel.

This is as of March from Canada’s WEB site..

“As Canada welcomes the first cruise ships back to Canadian waters in April, Transport Canada, working alongside partners, has developed a comprehensive public health plan for cruise ships, including:

-Crew and passengers being required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19;

-Crew and passengers being required to self-monitor for symptoms;

-Passengers being required to take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship OR take an antigen test within one day of boarding a cruise ship; and

-Passengers being required to take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before arriving in Canada or taking an antigen test within one day of the scheduled arrival.

-The Government of Canada is adjusting travel advice for cruise ship travel and continues to advise travellers to proceed with caution.”

I like the fact that Canada is requiring 100% full vaccination crew/guest requirement.

But, Royal is stating their requirements won’t be definite until 30-days before sailing.

• Like 1

Travelling with you! Hopefully we will be given covid protocols on testing April 5th. I arrive Seattle on the 3rd, than onto Vancouver. Want to know what to expect ASAP . Old lady, dont like last minute stress LOL !!!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

We are sailing LA > Vancouver then B2B Vancouver > Vancouver (on Radiance). 1st leg is less than 30 days out and no protocols in place.

I’m more than 30 days out, but same here….no protocols for my cruise, either.  Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle, WA.  Canada just opened up.  While I can’t make testing arrangements yet, I was hoping to get an idea of what would be acceptable….48 hours?  72 hours?  24 hours?  If 48 or 72 hours, I can negotiate having that done before I fly out.  24 hours?  I’ll have to secure something else.

I’m fully vaccinated and booster.  So, no issues there.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skings said:

Travelling with you! Hopefully we will be given covid protocols on testing April 5th. I arrive Seattle on the 3rd, than onto Vancouver. Want to know what to expect ASAP . Old lady, dont like last minute stress LOL !!!

Hope to see you on board.  

If I can get definitive protocols by April 5, I can work with that.  I connect through SEA and on to YVR on May 4th.  Spend the night in Vancouver and then have a 10:30 a.m. scheduled boarding time.  I like to pre-plan as much as possible, too.  If I can get tested before I leave home, things become easier.  

I don’t know why I would given I only hang with people who are vaccinated, but if I test positive before the cruise, I’d not want to get on a plane or travel.

We were planning on getting an antigen test on May 6, flying into Vancouver May 7, cruising out of Vancouver on May 8, but, with the new rules coming into effect on April 1, it looks like you need to have your antigen test no more than 1 day prior to boarding the cruise ship. I guess that means that we are going to need a PCR test to cover both the flight and the cruise or do 2 separate antigen tests, 1 on May 6 for the flight and then 1 on May 7 for the cruise.

UPDATE: I just re-read the current rules and a PCR test isn't even mentioned for Canadian ports. I hope RCCL post the rules soon

Edited by Bronx12
  • Like 1

Mentioned previously, upon startup, I took advantage of some of the fares I had seen.  In particular, Celebrity had some great fares.  Plus, they had some huge price drops (not hundreds and thousands of dollar price drops on suites).  Sky Suites ended up being about the same price is balcony cabins on Royal.  Plus, Celebrity was giving Sky Suites all the goodies…premium beverage package, their best internet, covering tips, and some sizable OBC.  Consequently, I sailed the EDGE 2X and the APEX once.  Both are currently their newest and best ships.  

They were throwing a ton of points multipliers for sailing in a Sky Suite with them, too.  I made pretty quick work of getting to ELITE with Celebrity, which translated to DIAMOND with Royal.

STAR SUITES (comparable to the Retreat) are CRAZY expensive for Royal Suites.  So, I never really looked at those.  Balcony Cabins were more reasonable, though.  That’s where I focused.

Ended up booking a Balcony 2D cabin for $1,525 all in.  No crazy good perks (like Celebirty) included except $100 + a bottle of bubbly from AMEX, $50 of OBC from my TA and another $50 of OBC from Royal.  That should cover the VOOM internet for the week and 3 specialty dinners.  Being newly minted Diamond, I get 4 free drinks/day.  Not sure how much I’ll drink.  Usually, the first couple of days I go full throttled and then pull back a bit.  I can’t seen any scenario where Royal’s drink package makes remote financial sense to me, though.

Have access to the Diamond Lounge.  Not sure what to expect there, but I understand there’s a Concierge available and good coffee and snacks there.  Sounds a little like the Retreat Lounge on Celebrity.  So, will like that access.

I’m a Delta (multi) Million Miler, so am using Sky Miles for my flight, leaving May 4th at 6:00 a.m. (yawn), arriving through Seattle to Vancouver at 10:30 a.m.  Upgrading to Comfort Plus as it will be a long flight.  Who knows?  Being so early, I might get an upgrade (not holding my breath).  Out of pocket is $11 for taxes.

Staying at the JW Marriott Parq Vancouver the night before embarkation.  AMEX gives $200 credit towards what they call their “Fine Hotels and Resorts”, which this is one of.  Plus, AMEX promises early check in, late check out, $100 to use anywhere on the property and free breakfast.  I also have points to use with Marriott.  In short, I don’t come out of pocket for this stay.

As best I can tell, this hotel is about 15 minutes from the airport.  And, it’s about 5 minutes from the pier.

Hope to wander around Vancouver for the day.  Will be at the pier by 10:30 a.m. for embarkation the next day.

• Like 2

I just received an email from RCL with our Healthy Sailing protocols, for round trip from Vancouver. At a quick glance, it doesn't look like any changes compared to our September 2021 Alaska cruise.

We got the email from Royal Caribbean this morning also. My Wife just sent this message to RC via FB Messenger: 

Hi Royal Caribbean. My Husband and I sail on Ovation of the Seas from Vancouver on May 5/22. We are both Canadian Residents. We got an email today titled "An Update to Your Healthy Sailing Protocols". The email says we need a Rapid Antigen Test no more than 2 days prior to sailing. The Government of Canada website says we need a Rapid Antigen Test within 1 day of the scheduled departure. What rule do we follow? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Munday

16 minutes ago, Munday said:

We got the email from Royal Caribbean this morning also. My Wife just sent this message to RC via FB Messenger: 

Hi Royal Caribbean. My Husband and I sail on Ovation of the Seas from Vancouver on May 5/22. We are both Canadian Residents. We got an email today titled "An Update to Your Healthy Sailing Protocols". The email says we need a Rapid Antigen Test no more than 2 days prior to sailing. The Government of Canada website says we need a Rapid Antigen Test within 1 day of the scheduled departure. What rule do we follow? Thanks in advance.

Would you mind posting their answer when you receive it, thanks

33 minutes ago, Munday said:

I responded on Roll Call, but in addition, for those that don’t use places like CC or FB (I don’t do FB), will depend on what Royal sends them for protocols. I would be worried about a lot of people being denied boarding if they did a rapid test 2 days prior, like Royal states.

I may be wrong, but have been following testing protocols with some interest since we are sailing on Radiance in April, but haven't Canada announced that are dropping testing to enter (by road, rail and sea) on April 1st, which means RCI protocols are the only ones to follow?

25 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

I may be wrong, but have been following testing protocols with some interest since we are sailing on Radiance in April, but haven't Canada announced that are dropping testing to enter (by road, rail and sea) on April 1st, which means RCI protocols are the only ones to follow?

From March 7

Canada Releases Health Guidelines For Cruises

Through Canadian Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Transport Canada released the long-awaited new health and safety guidelines for cruise ships today, March 7. 

As expected, the measures introduced by Transport Canada essentially mirror those implemented in the United States by the CDC. However, there are some exceptions. Guests wanting to take a cruise that departs from a Canadian port, or one that has a Canadian port as a port of call included, will need to take a PCR test within 72 hours before they board. 

An antigen test is also accepted; however, only if it was taken within one day of boarding. That means that the current standard that is in place in the US, 48-hours before boarding, is not valid for cruises that call in Canadian ports. 

All guests must be fully vaccinated before sailing, although some groups may be able to get an exemption if they comply with one of the following: 

But then the question arises for the ships stopping in Victoria. Are they going to test everyone on board the ship before they arrive? Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

And who’s checking the documents? Royal staff, or a Canadian official first? 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

This was copied from Royal today…

Testing Requirements

Testing is required to enter Canada and to board the ship. These requirements vary depending on guests’ age and vaccination status. 

Required Testing to Enter Canada

All unvaccinated guests age 2- 11 must provide a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before your flight’s departure to Canada or an antigen test no more than 1 day before your flight’s departure to Canada. Vaccinated traveler’s have no test requirement to enter Canada.

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

Before arriving on boarding day, you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense, to meet boarding requirements in line with U.S. CDC guidance.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day. If timed properly, the same PCR test result provided for entry into Canada can satisfy this requirement. Note: Royal Caribbean will not accept an antigen test to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement to board.
  • Unvaccinated kids' pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids' test at the terminal.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

All guests, or their legal guardians, will need to download the ArriveCAN app or visit the ArriveCAN website to provide mandatory travel information prior to and after your entry to Canada. Learn more about Canada arrival requirements.

16 hours ago, crzndeb said:

From March 7

Canada Releases Health Guidelines For Cruises

Through Canadian Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Transport Canada released the long-awaited new health and safety guidelines for cruise ships today, March 7. 

As expected, the measures introduced by Transport Canada essentially mirror those implemented in the United States by the CDC. However, there are some exceptions. Guests wanting to take a cruise that departs from a Canadian port, or one that has a Canadian port as a port of call included, will need to take a PCR test within 72 hours before they board. 

An antigen test is also accepted; however, only if it was taken within one day of boarding. That means that the current standard that is in place in the US, 48-hours before boarding, is not valid for cruises that call in Canadian ports. 

All guests must be fully vaccinated before sailing, although some groups may be able to get an exemption if they comply with one of the following: 

But then the question arises for the ships stopping in Victoria. Are they going to test everyone on board the ship before they arrive? Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

And who’s checking the documents? Royal staff, or a Canadian official first? 

That is March 7th which I believe has been superseded since.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

• Like 2