Ovation of the Seas-Alaska-May 5, 2022-May 13, 2022

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the RAPID TEST location at or near the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel?  

That's a plan B for me just in case something goes sideways with my testing in the U.S. on Tuesday, the day before I leave.

I saw the eMED site here in the U.S.  But, they're selling in bulk of 5 tests.  I only need one test.  The rest will go to waste and not worth me buying.

Testing in the U.S. at some of the big drug store chains is covered, so no cost to me personally.  I like that direction.  But, in case my results get lost, my testing time is for some reason cancelled, etc, I want to have a back up plan.

There is testing at Parq Vancouver as we have booked are tests for here, $70 (Cad) didn’t you mention you are staying there?

8 hours ago, Sea38 said:

There is testing at Parq Vancouver as we have booked are tests for here, $70 (Cad) didn’t you mention you are staying there?

Yes….I am staying there.  Didn’t know they had COVID testing there.  Will check it out.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yes….I am staying there.  Didn’t know they had COVID testing there.  Will check it out.

Thanks!

It’s through Bon Voyage Medical, for us it helps alleviate the stress of doing one over the phone back to the UK as enough paperwork to do already!  Cost us a little bit more than a video option but found these guys a little cheaper than the other walk-ups.
As they are based in your hotel sounds like a perfect back up plan for you 😀

• Like 1

A week away from jumping on the plane.  Just scheduled my NAAT/PCR test at my local Walgreens for Tuesday, May 3rd.  If all goes well, CVG flight direct to YVR.  Check in to Le Park on Smithe St.  Little sightseeing in Vancouver.

Ovation is now sailing their "test cruise".  Hope all goes well.

BTW...anyone else get a "pop up" that couldn't be closed when logging into CC today?  It's an ad of some sort.  Had to try 3 different WEB browsers before I could get rid of it (Firefox is the only one that worked).

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE Listen up! This is to clarify the confusion in this forum about testing ! First off safety protocols can change at any time or date but chances are this close to the ship leaving it more than likely will NOT! To board the ship The safety protocol as of this date (April 29th/2022 and subject to change but more than likely will NOT because of the proximity of sailing)

It "is" RCCL that requires that the  pcr/antigen testing be performed two days prior to sailing !  It is  NOT the Canadian government requesting a test but the cruiseline to board the ship ! Remember to get it done by a trained proffesional such as a pharmacist etc... Do NOT perform it yourself unless you have one of those kits you have to videochat or facetime back to a trained professional to verify and prove you did it in front of them.It HAS to be done by a trained professional and documented electronically or in writing! DONT make the mistake of going out and buying a kit yourself and performing it yourself or you WILL be denied to board? I am 100% sure of this because I have made numerous phone calls and got the same answer Thanks for reading and see everyone on board Safe journey 

To the OP and anyone else on this cruise, I just returned from the shakedown cruise so here's a bit of info.  They're still trying to get a feel for things which is understandable.

We only cruised with 600 passengers, so it was a dream.  Your cruise currently has 4000 passengers booked.

At embarkation, they checked for the COVID test results and for the ArriveCan QR Code.  No more wristbands.

The ship is mask-free and the Windjammer is back to self-serve.  They do make sure you wash your hands upon entry to the WJ.  

Entertainment was ok but I think that's mostly because the ship didn't have a full staff yet.  Some American Idol finalist sang one night but the orchestra wasn't there so it was awkward.    

The band that played in Music Hall and the soloist in the pub were excellent.  If the Aerosmith tribute band (Aeromyth) is on your cruise, go ahead and pass.  The singer was awful and ruined it.  

Live.Love.Legs. was really good.  The show in 270 had a new cast so they were still rehearsing and didn't put on a show during our cruise.  

North Star was hit or miss.  They're having problems with it so it was down quite a bit.  People got trapped in it a couple times.  

Dining was a fail.  They're still trying to get their rhythm so hopefully they figure it out before your cruise.   Our meat in Chops came out raw and they were confused about how to remedy it.   We talked to a few staff who had been off since the start of COVID and they were a little stressed about welcoming 4000 passengers again.

At Victoria, it took a long time for the ship to get cleared.  It was over an hour between docking and being allowed to disembark.  The clearing did not involve the passengers and there was no ArriveCan check.  Busses and businesses in Victoria were mask-free.  

Otherwise, the ship looks great!  The staff is VERY friendly and happy to be at work again.  

That's it off the top of my head.  Happy to help if you have questions.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

To the OP and anyone else on this cruise, I just returned from the shakedown cruise so here's a bit of info.  They're still trying to get a feel for things which is understandable.

We only cruised with 600 passengers, so it was a dream.  Your cruise currently has 4000 passengers booked.

At embarkation, they checked for the COVID test results and for the ArriveCan QR Code.  No more wristbands.

The ship is mask-free and the Windjammer is back to self-serve.  They do make sure you wash your hands upon entry to the WJ.  

Entertainment was ok but I think that's mostly because the ship didn't have a full staff yet.  Some American Idol finalist sang one night but the orchestra wasn't there so it was awkward.    

The band that played in Music Hall and the soloist in the pub were excellent.  If the Aerosmith tribute band (Aeromyth) is on your cruise, go ahead and pass.  The singer was awful and ruined it.  

Live.Love.Legs. was really good.  The show in 270 had a new cast so they were still rehearsing and didn't put on a show during our cruise.  

North Star was hit or miss.  They're having problems with it so it was down quite a bit.  People got trapped in it a couple times.  

Dining was a fail.  They're still trying to get their rhythm so hopefully they figure it out before your cruise.   Our meat in Chops came out raw and they were confused about how to remedy it.   We talked to a few staff who had been off since the start of COVID and they were a little stressed about welcoming 4000 passengers again.

At Victoria, it took a long time for the ship to get cleared.  It was over an hour between docking and being allowed to disembark.  The clearing did not involve the passengers and there was no ArriveCan check.  Busses and businesses in Victoria were mask-free.  

Otherwise, the ship looks great!  The staff is VERY friendly and happy to be at work again.  

That's it off the top of my head.  Happy to help if you have questions.  

Thanks.  Great report.  Anxious to board.  Even more anxious to see how having a full ship is handled.  From what I've read, most crew have been on board for a few weeks.  So, I hope the "shakedown" cruise got the kinks worked out.

That said, one of the few things they can't control is my attitude. I will go in smiling and happy.

I know this has been posted in many places already, but this is as of right now....

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/exemptions

You may be required to be tested upon arrival at random.  But, as of right now, you do not have to have proof of a prior negative COVID test.

You do have to have the ArriveCAN app completed and to show upon arrival (as was mentioned).

There are other requirements that you have to show proof of full COVID vaccination(s) at least 2 weeks prior to entering Canada if you're 5 years old and up.

Again, thanks for the input.  We're less than a week away.

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks.  Great report.  Anxious to board.  Even more anxious to see how having a full ship is handled.  From what I've read, most crew have been on board for a few weeks.  So, I hope the "shakedown" cruise got the kinks worked out.

Thank you.  Glad to help.  🙂

From what I was told, they were short by about 300 crew.  Deck 6 was their quarantine deck and there were several sitting in quarantine in deck 6 cabins....not because they had COVID, but because of recent arrival to the ship.  

Also, good point about attitude.  A smile goes a long way.  

3 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

As a Canadian flying from a Canadian city to Vancouver, I still cannot figure out what to select in the arrivecan App.  If anyone else knows, please share!!

The arrivecan app is ONLY for entering Canada from Air, Land and Sea and NOTHING else? I also am confused to WHY they want to see this when we are in Canada ALREADY and boarding a ship to USA waters? The ArriveCan app only holds your passport info ? 

Edited by mikil321

3 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

As a Canadian flying from a Canadian city to Vancouver, I still cannot figure out what to select in the arrivecan App.  If anyone else knows, please share!!

Im trying to figure that one out myself? arrivecan is ONLY for Canadians entering back into Canada from another country?  We are ALREADY here in Canada boarding a ship bound to Alaska???? This option doesnt exist in the app! Just make sure your vaccinated WITH proof and have had a PCR or ANTIGEN TEST within 48 hours (two days) of the embarking and have PROOF and you should be all set Im sure!

Edited by mikil321

15 hours ago, mikil321 said:

Im trying to figure that one out myself? arrivecan is ONLY for Canadians entering back into Canada from another country?  We are ALREADY here in Canada boarding a ship bound to Alaska???? This option doesnt exist in the app! Just make sure your vaccinated WITH proof and have had a PCR or ANTIGEN TEST within 48 hours (two days) of the embarking and have PROOF and you should be all set Im sure!

Good advice.  When in doubt, go the extra mile to remove the doubt.  If I were a Canadian Citizen, I'd do the same.....proof of negative PCT/NAAT/Antigen test within 48 hours and proof of full vaccination.

Side note....was wondering which specialty restaurants I was going to look at.  Chops was one of them. It's off my list.  No sense in spending money for a subpar meal....especially at a specialty restaurant.

20 hours ago, mikil321 said:

Yes I agree it makes no sense, but according to the travel.gc site it is required.  I guess we will find out next week!  https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

1924584713_ScreenShot2022-04-30at4_43_10PM.thumb.png.322a8fa96d57e915577bba740e957141.png

ArriveCAN app completed, sent and accepted.  Knocking down the preparations one at a time.

Dry cleaning dropped off tomorrow.  Dragging the "big" roll aboard out of the closet (bulky sweatshirts and long pants will be the order of the day, and the larger space is needed).

Getting a COVID "pre-test" kit that I'll use tomorrow.

It's cruise week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Walgreens COVID test done this a.m.  NEGATIVE!  So, day of laundry, packing and taking care of forgetting something I won’t know about until I’m on the ship.  LOL!

Just got my Neg home test with Emed done and an email from Royal Up saying my bid was accepted. $110 total from Virtual balcony interior to OV. It’s on the 3rd deck, below all the action, so will see how it works out. I always bring earplugs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Just got my Neg home test with Emed done and an email from Royal Up saying my bid was accepted. $110 total from Virtual balcony interior to OV. It’s on the 3rd deck, below all the action, so will see how it works out. I always bring earplugs.

Great.  Very cool about the upgrade.  I've long quit looking to see if any of my ROYAL UP bids were accepted.  

Hopeful we'll cross paths on board.

Interestingly, while I did get my ArriveCAN app completed, Delta (who I'm flying in on tomorrow) hasn't been able to check me in because the Delta App can't accept the ArriveCAN link.  Not really worried, as I can do that at the airport.  Just, mildly concerned that there's either something wrong with my flight or something wrong with the ArriveCAN check in.

Made it on the plane.  We’ve making our way to SEA and then to YVR.  

Casually asked what time the check in counter opened.  I knew the answer as it’s on a sign at the end of the counter (3:30 a.m.).  Delta rep told me they open when they get there (she was rather snarky).  Delta ecommends checking in 3 hours before departure for international flights.  Flight left at 6:05 a.m.  So, I thought I was late arriving at 3:30 a.m.  

Delta rep arrived at the counter at 4:15 a.m.

Airlines always tout their on time percentage and customer service.  Delta continues to prove they’re anything but punctual and friendly.  

• Like 2