Ovation of the Seas-Alaska-May 5, 2022-May 13, 2022

Just an FYI, there have been no formal nights yet. All casual. I did see people dressed up on the 2nd night, but on app and Compass, I triple checked and it said casual. Maybe some are creatures of habit, and assumed the 2nd day (sea day) was formal. Will report back on our last 2 sea days.

Another gorgeous day in Skagway. People walking off at about 0715. I’m going to chill and walk into town in a couple of hours. Let the masses get off first.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Thanks 1

Just want to take a moment to thank those of you who are following, those who are asking questions, and those who are answering.  VOOM is poor.  Knew I was going to go live here, so thought it would help….not really helpful, though.  For example, this is the 4th time I’ve tried to make this post.

Will get to the questions when and where I can, if I can!

Thanks, again!

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just want to take a moment to thank those of you who are following, those who are asking questions, and those who are answering.  VOOM is poor.  Knew I was going to go live here, so thought it would help….not really helpful, though.  For example, this is the 4th time I’ve tried to make this post.

Will get to the questions when and where I can, if I can!

Thanks, again!

You're doing a fabulous job!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Just an FYI, there have been no formal nights yet. All casual. I did see people dressed up on the 2nd night, but on app and Compass, I triple checked and it said casual. Maybe some are creatures of habit, and assumed the 2nd day (sea day) was formal. Will report back on our last 2 sea days.

Another gorgeous day in Skagway. People walking off at about 0715. I’m going to chill and walk into town in a couple of hours. Let the masses get off first.

Noticed the same regarding “formal nights”.  Like you, saw a couple in tix and gown standing in line for Chic MDR.  Struck me as weird to see people in formal dress waiting over an hour i  line to be seated.

Since I have no plans, doing the same, wandering Skagway.  Avoiding the initial rush to the exits.

• Like 2

My husband and I are on this cruise too, and my top tip for you is: don't catch covid.

My husband tested positive after Sitka and we were both moved to quarantine where we will spend 5 days (the entire rest of the cruise). We've lost our balcony cabin for a room with a window, so no fresh air. Carpets have been removed from the room so it feels very "sterile". We were told we'd get free movies on the TV, but it's taken 3 calls to guest services to establish that no movies were loaded for this cruise. It took 4 calls to argue that they should provide us with Surf and Stream Voom instead (which had now been sorted). 

I know it's the first cruise back for a while, but they don't seem at all ready for guests with covid - as of yesterday there was one other guest in quarantine. This hallway on deck 3 seems quite full, so I think there are quite a number of crew in quarantine right now, and so it's processes for crew that we seem to have fallen into - eg lunch yesterday and breakfast this morning we only got delivered one meal, even though I made it clear there are 2 of us in here. Someone phones and barks a list of 4 meal options at you for you to select from.  The call with breakfast options came at 5:44am today. We've tried ordering from room service - it takes over 1.5 hours and arrives cold and incorrect. I've never ordered from room service before so I'm not sure how it compares to if we weren't in quarantine, but the quarantine room service is not good. 

We also have bill discrepancies to resolve, and we never get the calls back that we're promised, and it's not like we can pop up to Guest Services to ask. 

When they moved us to quarantine, they promised us that we would be looked after. I don't really feel that's the case so far. Wish I'd done some browsing on what quarantine actually involves before booking this cruise - was aware (and understand) about being quarantined, but I think I overestimated Royal Caribbean's hospitality skills. 

Sorry to hijack this thread a little. I'm glad everyone else seems to be having a lovely time (and obviously I'm very jealous). Just thought it might be useful/interesting to some people to add some quarantine info on for the ship. 

Here's a picture of an otter and pup from Sitka to try to balance out my grumpiness. 

IMG-20220507-WA0009.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

39 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Day 2 was the formal night - they messed up the Compass. If you still have it, take a look at the information about photography - it says something about having your photos taken in your formal outfits. We saw this and asked one of the staff outside the dining room and they confirmed it was formal night. Not sure if an announcement was made at any events, or others spotted the discrepancy in the Compass and asked, but that'll be why there was a big split in outfits. It WAS formal night, they just forgot to tell people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ryalie1 said:

My husband and I are on this cruise too, and my top tip for you is: don't catch covid.

My husband tested positive after Sitka and we were both moved to quarantine where we will spend 5 days (the entire rest of the cruise). We've lost our balcony cabin for a room with a window, so no fresh air. Carpets have been removed from the room so it feels very "sterile". We were told we'd get free movies on the TV, but it's taken 3 calls to guest services to establish that no movies were loaded for this cruise. It took 4 calls to argue that they should provide us with Surf and Stream Voom instead (which had now been sorted). 

I know it's the first cruise back for a while, but they don't seem at all ready for guests with covid - as of yesterday there was one other guest in quarantine. This hallway on deck 3 seems quite full, so I think there are quite a number of crew in quarantine right now, and so it's processes for crew that we seem to have fallen into - eg lunch yesterday and breakfast this morning we only got delivered one meal, even though I made it clear there are 2 of us in here. Someone phones and barks a list of 4 meal options at you for you to select from.  The call with breakfast options came at 5:44am today. We've tried ordering from room service - it takes over 1.5 hours and arrives cold and incorrect. I've never ordered from room service before so I'm not sure how it compares to if we weren't in quarantine, but the quarantine room service is not good. 

We also have bill discrepancies to resolve, and we never get the calls back that we're promised, and it's not like we can pop up to Guest Services to ask. 

When they moved us to quarantine, they promised us that we would be looked after. I don't really feel that's the case so far. Wish I'd done some browsing on what quarantine actually involves before booking this cruise - was aware (and understand) about being quarantined, but I think I overestimated Royal Caribbean's hospitality skills. 

Sorry to hijack this thread a little. I'm glad everyone else seems to be having a lovely time (and obviously I'm very jealous). Just thought it might be useful/interesting to some people to add some quarantine info on for the ship. 

Here's a picture of an otter and pup from Sitka to try to balance out my grumpiness. 

IMG-20220507-WA0009.jpg

How did you find out that your husband was covid positive? Are you screened/tested after each port? 

• Like 1

Just now, hilltopper98 said:

How did you find out that your husband was covid positive? Are you screened/tested after each port? 

No, he started feeling unwell so took a self-test - we brought a box with us. Informed the medical center and they came to the stateroom to do a PCR test to confirm it. 

The Dr told us that staff are informing them if they see someone coughing/sneezing a lot and the medical center will then make them test, but I'm not sure to what extent that's happening - I think there'd be a lot more guests in quarantine if they were doing it properly. 

No mandatory testing for guests onboard this cruise other than that, to my knowledge. I have not been officially tested either even as a close contact. My self-test was negative and they've accepted that - as I've gone into quarantine with my husband I don't think it makes much difference to them at the moment - it sounds like they may test me before I get off the ship. They will also test my husband again at the end of the cruise. 

Edited by Ryalie1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ryalie1 said:

No, he started feeling unwell so took a self-test - we brought a box with us. Informed the medical center and they came to the stateroom to do a PCR test to confirm it. 

The Dr told us that staff are informing them if they see someone coughing/sneezing a lot and the medical center will then make them test, but I'm not sure to what extent that's happening - I think there'd be a lot more guests in quarantine if they were doing it properly. 

No mandatory testing for guests onboard this cruise other than that, to my knowledge. I have not been officially tested either even as a close contact. My self-test was negative and they've accepted that - as I've gone into quarantine with my husband I don't think it makes much difference to them at the moment - it sounds like they may test me before I get off the ship. They will also test my husband again at the end of the cruise. 

OK, I realize that RC will probably either refund or give you full credit for the cruise, so you can have one you fully enjoy. And yes, I think it's wise that someone with Covid not be wandering around to infect others.

That said, after your report, I don't know if I had only mild symptoms and self-diagnosed that I would turn myself in. I might just mask when outside my room and get my spouse to bring me food. A tad irresponsible perhaps, but maybe better than Covid jail.  

• Like 2

Just now, SeattleAl said:

OK, I realize that RC will probably either refund or give you full credit for the cruise, so you can have one you fully enjoy. And yes, I think it's wise that someone with Covid not be wandering around to infect others.

That said, after your report, I don't know if I had only mild symptoms and self-diagnosed that I would turn myself in. I might just mask when outside my room and get my spouse to bring me food. A tad irresponsible perhaps, but maybe better than Covid jail.  

The refund is one of the things I am waiting for Guest Services to talk to me about. My booking confirmation paperwork says that if we test positive onboard will we receive a FULL refund of the cruise fare for the whole travelling party (just the 2 of us). Guest services are saying it's just the quarantine days, and just for the person who tested positive, even though we're both in quarantine. Unfortunately also, coming from the UK, the flights were even more expensive than the cruise and we of course won't get anything back from there. This was a 'holiday of a lifetime' for us 😞 We are going to look at our options as soon as we get back though, whenever that is (currently unknown if we can catch our flight on Friday or not). 

Completely understand what you're saying about whether you'd turn yourself in or not. I honestly do not know if we'd do the same again - I didn't really want to get into a debate into what's wrong or right here, just wanted to provide some information so people could make informed decisions for themselves if it came to it.  We're very much wishing we'd kept it to ourselves right now, but at the same time, I don't think I'd be able to deal with knowing that I was putting others at risk - vulnerable people, but also just ruining other people's holidays. We don't know where my husband caught it, but if it was on the ship maybe if who we caught it from had owned up then WE wouldn't be here and potentially others around the ship feeling poorly.  Worst case, it spreads enough on the ship that the cruise has to end early and it's ruined for everyone. In most cases it's not so serious for health now (although is for some people), but still no one wants to spend their holiday unwell. It's a tough one. I just think that RC/Ovation have some work to do to make quarantined passengers more comfortable right now. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ryalie1 said:

Guest services are saying it's just the quarantine days, and just for the person who tested positive, even though we're both in quarantine.

That's what most have reported - you volunteering to quarantine and not testing positive doesn't count, it seems. 

You have much closer to home cruise options.

Edited by Biker19

@Ryalie….so sorry to hear of the illness!  Hope things work out better as the cruise continues.

While not helpful for you, I sort of expected someone (some people) to report a positive  case given the contacts made off ship when people were getting off and on, mingling with folks who may or may not know they’re infected.

KUDOS to you and your husband.  You absolutely did the right thing.

Curious though, what made you bring self tests with you?

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryalie1 said:

I am so sorry to hear of all the issues. Hope your husband feels better. This ship sitting around for 6 months did not help either. It’s been a world of difference from the last Oct. cruise last year to this one. They are just not prepared. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Someone asked about special nights…Disco Inferno Night is tomorrow night!

Just found out my Skagway tour was cancelled tomorrow.  No reason given.  So, will probably just wander around aimlessly!  I tend to do that a lot, anyway!

What was your plan for Skagway?

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Sled dog excursion!

I have a helicopter / dog sledding on Mendenhall excursion for Juneau in August but also booked a whale watching tour as a backup as I have heard they could get canceled due to snow melt. Your cancelation is making me nervous as it’s so early in the season - ack! 😕

Edited by jerseygirl629
  • Like 1

They have a free shuttle that will take you to the start point of the excursions pick up.  From there, you can walk to town.  It’s cute, but typical tourist town…jewelry stores, bars, souvenir shops.  My recommendation?  They have a great taffy/popcorn shop….excellent and you’ll get out of there with change for a $20 bill coming back to you!

This is the one place you can probably book your own tours in town…..Train Tickets and M&M tours.  Can’t miss either one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jerseygirl629 said:

I have a helicopter / dog sledding on Mendenhall excursion for Juneau in August but also booked a whale watching tour as a backup as I have heard they could get canceled due to snow melt. Your cancelation is making me nervous as it’s so early in the season - ack! 😕

While they didn’t say, I think mine was cancelled because they didn’t have enough pre-sales.  Yours sounds fantastic!  🙂

Also, Juneau is a much bigger port to draw from.  I think I mentioned, there are 4 ships scheduled to dock in Juneau today.  

Skagway is cool, but much, much smaller!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

@Ryalie

Curious though, what made you bring self tests with you?

Habit and caution. In the UK, until last month we were able to get free tests through the NHS and were encouraged to test twice a week. We still have some boxes of tests so we brought them with us.  We did our required supervised test before leaving the UK, and then did a self-test in the hotel in Vancouver to make sure we were still negative before boarding, because we really didn't want to end up in this situation 🤦‍♀️ Neither of us have had covid to this point, which was making me anxious that we'd get it at the wrong time - which we have 😞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2