Ovation of the Seas-Alaska-May 5, 2022-May 13, 2022

Just now, jrapps said:

For those on the Ovation now, is it better to have a balcony room on the port or starboard side? We are going next year, deciding what room to book.

Thanks

Lovely sunrises on the starboard side for the first few days. But as we go north and then south, I don't think it would matter - the port side should be getting the sunrises now. The Endicott Arm you go up then down so again, equal views from both sides of the ship. 

Good number of whales on the starboard side in the first few days, but I assume no difference on the other side 🙂

IMG_20220506_054645.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, crzndeb said:

@graphicguyI got a call Northstar was cancelled. He said technical issues. I can honestly say, I haven’t seen it up at all on this whole cruise, so I’m not sure it is functional at all. That was my 3rd cancellation, so I’m hoping for success on my B3B out of Sydney next March. 😉

I was afraid of that.  They had a lot of problems with it during the shakedown cruise.  People got stuck in it a couple times.  

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Quick question for those who are familiar with SEA…..just got an email asking if I wanted to schedule an appointment for TSA Spot Saver?

Is TSA THAT BACKED UP in SEA?  Plus, they will only hold the spot for 15 mins.  Little dicey given how difficult it is to predict disembarkation times and luggage retrieval.

Never heard of this.  Comments!

Since I live here and travel a lot, I (unfortunately) frequent SEA.  Yes, during the summer months, especially on days cruise ships are in town, the TSA lines can get unbelievably long.  I've seen waits over an hour.  I'm sorry to say I really dislike this airport.  They are expanding though and it should get better in the coming years.  

Another headache is the probable Alaska Airlines strike.  Hope this doesn't impact you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I was afraid of that.  They had a lot of problems with it during the shakedown cruise.  People got stuck in it a couple times.  

Since I live here and travel a lot, I (unfortunately) frequent SEA.  Yes, during the summer months, especially on days cruise ships are in town, the TSA lines can get unbelievably long.  I've seen waits over an hour.  I'm sorry to say I really dislike this airport.  They are expanding though and it should get better in the coming years.  

Another headache is the probable Alaska Airlines strike.  Hope this doesn't impact you.  

They will be voting all of May for a strike authorization. Any strike would be after that. There are some delays and cancellations, a very small percentage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryalie1 said:

Lovely sunrises on the starboard side for the first few days. But as we go north and then south, I don't think it would matter - the port side should be getting the sunrises now. The Endicott Arm you go up then down so again, equal views from both sides of the ship. 

Good number of whales on the starboard side in the first few days, but I assume no difference on the other side 🙂

IMG_20220506_054645.jpg

Even rainy days look

good….

D2F5A789-770A-483E-B6A6-822F55F7D98C.jpeg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jerseygirl629 said:

Was it hard to get a Wonderland reservation? We have the UDP and I'm so anxious about not being able to get all the reservations we want.

Not really!  But, I made all specialty dining reservations (3) the first day!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerseygirl629 said:

That's what I am hoping to do for our entire cruise 🙂 Thank you!

I think you’ll be fine!  🙂

I had one of the earliest embarkation times, so that probably helped!

Edited by graphicguy

31 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Do you stop at Victoria tomorrow? If so what time?

We embarked in Vancouver. No need to stop in 

Victoria. This was unique 8 day sailing, the only leg left, that should have originated in Sydney. It left from Vancouver because it was originally coming from Hawaii, before those legs were cancelled. The round trips from Seattle will stop in Victoria.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ryalie1 said:

Has anyone seen any whales from the ship? We saw 23 on day 2, mostly in the morning, and then 9 in the morning on day 3 before arriving in Sitka. But nothing since - anything out there?

Saw a bunch day 2 and 3, but like you, none since then.  Did see the Northern lights last night off my balcony.  Very Cool!

• Like 4

Just now, graphicguy said:

Saw a bunch day 2 and 3, but like you, none since then.  Did see the Northern lights last night off my balcony.  Very Cool!

Wow that's amazing. Didn't know you could see them from here/this time of year. 

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

About what time?  Do they last awhile?  I have never seen them.

55 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Wow, I’m surprised with the cloud cover we had yesterday. You must have timed it perfectly, and got some cloud breaks.

I have an app and didn’t even bother to check it because of rain.