Ovation of the Seas-Alaska-May 5, 2022-May 13, 2022

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Wow, I’m surprised with the cloud cover we had yesterday. You must have timed it perfectly, and got some cloud breaks.

I have an app and didn’t even bother to check it because of rain.

PLEASE share the app name and any tricks on how to get the most out if it.  I'd never have guessed there'd be such an app!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AeroBaldness said:

PLEASE share the app name and any tricks on how to get the most out if it.  I'd never have guessed there'd be such an app!

It’s this one. You can put in a city. For the best viewing, the KP index usually needs to be above 4.

If you go to the bottom, and click “forecasts”, it will give you some statistics.8FB7D7E0-BF07-4ACA-94F8-41FCBA5AB57F.thumb.png.ce3f0d3a52bdaf0ad97ebfd1ab7ed533.png

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

It’s this one. You can put in a city. For the best viewing, the KP index usually needs to be above 4.

If you go to the bottom, and click “forecasts”, it will give you some statistics.8FB7D7E0-BF07-4ACA-94F8-41FCBA5AB57F.thumb.png.ce3f0d3a52bdaf0ad97ebfd1ab7ed533.png

Thanks!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Thank you.  I am a massive over planner, but work and life have gotten in the way big time.  This thread has HUGE for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

About what time?  Do they last awhile?  I have never seen them.

Probably 3:30-4:00 a.m.  Saw light coming through the curtain.  Went to check it out.  And there it was!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, reefgeek83 said:

Curious on when the formal nights will be? We'll be on the Ovation September 2nd for my wife's 40th birthday. Curious if it will align for her birthday.

Been kind of hit and miss.  Had heard it was the 2nd night but was misreported on the planner.  

Mentioned previously, saw a couple in a long line who were in tux/gown for Chic.  But, they were pretty far back in the line.  Weird to see formal wear in a long line waiting a long time to be seated.

Maybe normal.  Just struck me as weird!  Haven’t seen any formal wear since, though!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Been kind of hit and miss.  Had heard it was the 2nd night but was misreported on the planner.  

Mentioned previously, saw a couple in a long line who were in tux/gown for Chic.  But, they were pretty far back in the line.  Weird to see formal wear in a long line waiting a long time to be seated.

Maybe normal.  Just struck me as weird!  Haven’t seen any formal wear since, though!

Just to add on…tonight is Dress to Impress night.

So @reefgeek83, 2nd night is normally formal, and usually day 5 or 6 is the other fancy. They may switch the names around, but it won’t be on the night before disembarkation.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:19 PM, crzndeb said:

@graphicguyI got a call Northstar was cancelled. He said technical issues. I can honestly say, I haven’t seen it up at all on this whole cruise, so I’m not sure it is functional at all. That was my 3rd cancellation, so I’m hoping for success on my B3B out of Sydney next March. 😉

I had this issue on Anthem last Nov.  suddenly technical issues or maintenance would show up at the same time I did.  then we had wind and etc etc issues.  Over the course of 7 days I never got to go up in Northstar.  Sure glad I did Anthem twice in 2016 and many times.  Also did Northstar 5 times in 2019 while in Alaska.  Every day in port.

Seems like Northstar as well as Aqua Theatre on ships are having issues a lot.

While it is good to see cruising come back, I am hearing and seeing things not quite up to par or complete.   I feel cruising won't really be back like we knew it to be until 2023.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Do you know were they allowing take out for Izumi at all? Either lunch or dinner?

I think you can get a doggy bag for leftovers.  Maybe check with room service to get full menu items sent to your room?  I frankly don’t know!

Menus for the restaurants are available on the Royal app!

Just now, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone tried Fish and Ships?  Was it good?

We tried this on day 2. The food was fine enough - it was nice to have some proper chips (although being British, I definitely think they should have offered vinegar!). We only tried the complementary options and not the paid for ones. They had no lobster. 

Not sure if it's improved throughout the cruise, but they were struggling to keep up. There were only a small number of people in front of us to order but we still had to queue for half hour to place our order and then it was another half hour wait for the food. This was when they first opened for lunch so I would think pre-peak. So don't consider this a quick option. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone tried Fish and Ships?  Was it good?

I tried them on the Shakedown cruise in April.  I ordered the deep fried lobster and chips - as any paid food options were 50% off for the test cruise.  While the “lobster” was tasty, they were the smallest “tails” I’ve ever seen! (A single serving consisted of 2 “tails”).  I’ve seen larger shrimp tails!  Let’s just say whoever cooked the chips has never had a true British style fish n’chip supper!  They were still slightly raw inside but still some how soggy … I guess at least they are not using frozen oven chips!  They need to send the cook to the fish n’chip place at Fisherman’s Wharf in Victoria, so they can see what they should be like!  Best option would be a true Brit fish supper, but Victoria‘s offerings are pretty good too.  [This review comes from an ex-Brit who knows good fish n’chips!]

Edited by westcoasttech
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, westcoasttech said:

I tried them on the Shakedown cruise in April.  I ordered the deep fried lobster and chips - as any paid food options were 50% off for the test cruise.  While the “lobster” was tasty, they were the smallest “tails” I’ve ever seen! (A single serving consisted of 2 “tails”).  I’ve seen larger shrimp tails!  Let’s just say whoever cooked the chips has never had a true British style fish n’chip supper!  They were still slightly raw inside but still some how soggy … I guess at least they are not using frozen oven chips!  They need to send the cook to the fish n’chip place at Fisherman’s Wharf in Victoria, so they can see what they should be like!  Best option would be a true Brit fish supper, but Victoria‘s offerings are pretty good too.  [This review comes from an ex-Brit who knows good fish n’chips!]

I'll never understand how every pub in Brittan can make a great fish & chips, but they are so hard to find here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Can you find out which dining rooms are designated for traditional 5pm & 8pm dining?

I talked to a lady tonight that had MTD, and she said they were in American Icon and Silk, so I guess that leaves assigned in The Grande and Chic if that’s important.