Ovation of the Seas-Alaska-May 5, 2022-May 13, 2022

Catching up to some of the questions....

I heard about the shake down cruise for Ovation.  I don't live anywhere near Seattle (Cincinnati).  And, while Diamond, I achieved that status from my Celebrity cruises.  Heck, I didn't even know Ovation had not been sailing and needed a shakedown.  Apparently, she's been relatively dormant since last year?  That's a lot of new ship to not get out on revenue sailings.

Doing more research, I guess this sailing will be the first offered after the "shakedown".  Plus, as noted, it's also saying from one port (Vancouver) and returning to another (Seattle).  Lots of questions and talk here about what that means from a testing perspective.  Still don't have all the answers but working through them and will post info as I confirm it.

Now, I have another question....just dug this gem out of one of the far reaches of one of my kitchen cupboards.  This was from taking my son out on a cruise for his 18th birthday several years ago.  At the time, the crew told us this would allow us unlimited softdrinks on the cruise we were on, plus any other Royal Caribbean cruise we ever took again.  Sounded like a deal.

Here's the issue...Royal moved on to Pepsi products.  Are they going to refill this tumbler with Pepsi related refreshments?  Or, are they going to replace it with a Pepsi tumbler?

IMG_1716.thumb.jpeg.9e957b6dfd19ac3b338b353a62ea6efc.jpegIMG_1716.thumb.jpeg.9e957b6dfd19ac3b338b353a62ea6efc.jpegIMG_1716.thumb.jpeg.9e957b6dfd19ac3b338b353a62ea6efc.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Catching up to some of the questions....

I heard about the shake down cruise for Ovation.  I don't live anywhere near Seattle (Cincinnati).  And, while Diamond, I achieved that status from my Celebrity cruises.  Heck, I didn't even know Ovation had not been sailing and needed a shakedown.  Apparently, she's been relatively dormant since last year?  That's a lot of new ship to not get out on revenue sailings.

Doing more research, I guess this sailing will be the first offered after the "shakedown".  Plus, as noted, it's also saying from one port (Vancouver) and returning to another (Seattle).  Lots of questions and talk here about what that means from a testing perspective.  Still don't have all the answers but working through them and will post info as I confirm it.

Now, I have another question....just dug this gem out of one of the far reaches of one of my kitchen cupboards.  This was from taking my son out on a cruise for his 18th birthday several years ago.  At the time, the crew told us this would allow us unlimited softdrinks on the cruise we were on, plus any other Royal Caribbean cruise we ever took again.  Sounded like a deal.

Here's the issue...Royal moved on to Pepsi products.  Are they going to refill this tumbler with Pepsi related refreshments?  Or, are they going to replace it with a Pepsi tumbler?

IMG_1716.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

The cups are only good on the initial cruise, not any subsequent cruises.  I'm not sure why you were told otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The cups are only good on the initial cruise, not any subsequent cruises.  I'm not sure why you were told otherwise.

Kind of what I figured.  But, I was the one who was there when the crew said purchasing the tumbler would allow unlimited softdrinks on subsequent cruises.

I guess he didn't figure I would keep the tumbler past the cruise we were on.  I may take it with me and approach Guest Services to see what they say. 😉

Edited by graphicguy

4 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

My bad.  It was NCL who changed from Coke to Pepsi.

Thanks for the correction.

So, now the question is, my tumbler looks like the tumbler they're using in the video (except for color).  So, maybe it indeed will work.  I'm packing it. 😉

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

So, now the question is, my tumbler looks like the tumbler they're using in the video (except for color).  So, maybe it indeed will work.  I'm packing it. 😉

The new cups have RFID chips in the bottom to activate the Freestyle machines. Not sure the old ones will work.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but I'd just buy the soda package through the cruise planner when it is on sale.  For my Alaskan cruise it has been at various prices, the lowest being 8.99 a day.

The freestyle machine reads a chip in the cup.  Your chip will be for the wrong cruise.  I'd be very surprised if it worked.  Id hate for you to have to pay full price once on board.

Just got the Royal Up offer in my email.  Minimums are attractive for a 1 BR Suite.  Actually, all the minimums are attractive.  Not sure I recall anyone, on any cruise line, ever winning an upgrade bid by offering a minimum bid.  But, I’ll give it a shot.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, graphicguy said:

Kind of what I figured.  But, I was the one who was there when the crew said purchasing the tumbler would allow unlimited softdrinks on subsequent cruises.

I guess he didn't figure I would keep the tumbler past the cruise we were on.  I may take it with me and approach Guest Services to see what they say. 😉

If you purchase a soda package, you will get a new cup. As others mentioned, the RFID code will not work on the Ovation. Several threads for those that tried. Possibly on a B2B, but not several years later. I have a couple of cups myself, but with nicer designs…LOL

I was on the last 2 sailings in Oct. to Alaska. She hung around Seattle for a while, until some pretty cold weather came in, and then she sailed to So. Cal. and waters off Baja. Several of us track her movements, and have adopted her as a local pet.

30 minutes ago, Munday said:

It looks like they have modified rapid Antigen to 2 days to match Royal….good to know, and much easier now. 
Although I still don’t know how I’m getting to Vancouver, I can test the day before I leave. 

Debbie

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crzndeb said:

If you purchase a soda package, you will get a new cup. As others mentioned, the RFID code will not work on the Ovation. Several threads for those that tried. Possibly on a B2B, but not several years later. I have a couple of cups myself, but with nicer designs…LOL

I was on the last 2 sailings in Oct. to Alaska. She hung around Seattle for a while, until some pretty cold weather came in, and then she sailed to So. Cal. and waters off Baja. Several of us track her movements, and have adopted her as a local pet.

It looks like they have modified rapid Antigen to 2 days to match Royal….good to know, and much easier now. 
Although I still don’t know how I’m getting to Vancouver, I can test the day before I leave. 

Debbie

Thanks for the update, Debbie.  

I was worried about the COVID test, too.  I called Royal and they told me embarkation day does not count for the time frame they quote.  In one place on the Royal WEB site it states that, but there’s also a chart that seems to conflict with that.

Hope I get to the pier and there’s no confusion there.

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks for the update, Debbie.  

I was worried about the COVID test, too.  I called Royal and they told me embarkation day does not count for the time frame they quote.  In one place on the Royal WEB site it states that, but there’s also a chart that seems to conflict with that.

Hope I get to the pier and there’s no confusion there.

Since we leave on a Thurs., rapid test can be taken anytime on Tues, Wed, or even Thurs. I always take 2 days before. I will take at home on Tues., but may just pack my extra test in carry on, just in case.

Other cruise lines are offering shuttles from Seattle to Vancouver, but I don’t see anything from Royal yet. 

Also, if you have any specific questions on our sailing, you can come over to the Roll Call, and then we won’t bore others with general chit chat about Ovation, and it can be more your live thread. 

Edited by crzndeb

25 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Since we leave on a Thurs., rapid test can be taken anytime on Tues, Wed, or even Thurs. I always take 2 days before. I will take at home on Tues., but may just pack my extra test in carry on, just in case.

Other cruise lines are offering shuttles from Seattle to Vancouver, but I don’t see anything from Royal yet. 

Also, if you have any specific questions on our sailing, you can come over to the Roll Call, and then we won’t bore others with general chit chat about Ovation, and it can be more your live thread. 

I’m flying into Vancouver.  It was actually cheaper to fly into Vancouver and back from Seattle, than doing either Vancouver or Seattle, round trip.

I am spending the day/night in Vancouver on Wednesday.  Given I don’t know where to get any tests in Vancouver, I’m testing Tuesday at home (OHIO) and (fingers crossed) bringing a negative test result with me.  Already downloaded ArriveCAN, where it states….

STARTING APRIL 1, 2022, PRE-ENTRY TESTS ARE NO LONGER NEEDED FOR FULLY VACCINATED TRAVELLERS ENTERING CANADA BY LAND, AIR OR WATER.  YOU MUST STILL USE ARRIVECAN WITHIN 72 HOURS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL TO CANADA.

This was posted in the ArriveCAN app.

So, not worried about tests for Canada.  Have to get a negative test for Royal.

Edited by graphicguy

5 hours ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

@graphicguyare excursions showing sold out for your sailing? Most of ours are on Quantum, and we haven’t been to Alaska before. In most places, I’m perfectly comfortable booking them on my own, but this is a new region for me! 

Do you know of any reputable tour companies? 

Was in Alaska last year when I was able to find a good deal (NCL).  Most of the ports weren’t ready for cruise guests at the time.  Excursions were pretty limited to just bus tours, and even those were pretty basic.

I’ve seen more ambitious tours on this cruise.  I think there’s only one excursion sold out, but most are showing “few spaces left”.

Don’t know of any non-Royal excursions.

Not much help to you.  Sorry!

Edited by graphicguy

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Was in Alaska last year when I was able to find a good deal (NCL).  Most of the ports weren’t ready for cruise guests at the time.  Excursions were pretty limited to just bus tours, and even those were pretty basic.

I’ve seen more ambitious tours on this cruise.  I think there’s only one excursion sold out, but most are showing “few spaces left”.

Don’t know of any non-Royal excursions.

Not much help to you.  Sorry!

That’s okay! Thanks anyway! 

I will be on this cruise with you.  We are sticking around for the one after as well out of Seattle.

I am Canadian and I agree that the testing requirements we have posted is a hot mess.  You see a different answer wherever you go.  I am just sticking with what RCL has posted as it seems they meet or exceeds the Canadian requirements so I think we are good either way.  

I do not understand why the testing requirement to enter Canada has not been dropped.  You should not need a test by land, air or sea as of 4/1/22 unless you are randomly selected.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned above, but if you are flying into Canada, ArriveCAN needs to be filled out within 72 hours of your scheduled flight departure.  By land it is within 72 hours of the border crossing.  If you are coming in on a cruise, it is within 72 hours of your embarkation on the ship, not within 72 hours of arrival to Canada (at least that is how I am reading the instructions).

1C8C8E1F-79F7-403C-B194-328F48DBAEA4.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 2

They should have moved the Ovation to embark in Seattle, since it wasn’t coming from Honolulu anymore. But way before everybody made plane reservations, of course. I keep hoping they add a short Seattle to Vancouver before our May 5 sailing, and I will grab that one.

They are already doing the 3 down Shakedown cruise on Apr. 26. Add a revenue cruise after that one to get to Vancouver.

6 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

I will be on this cruise with you.  We are sticking around for the one after as well out of Seattle.

I am Canadian and I agree that the testing requirements we have posted is a hot mess.  You see a different answer wherever you go.  I am just sticking with what RCL has posted as it seems they meet or exceeds the Canadian requirements so I think we are good either way.  

I do not understand why the testing requirement to enter Canada has not been dropped.  You should not need a test by land, air or sea as of 4/1/22 unless you are randomly selected.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned above, but if you are flying into Canada, ArriveCAN needs to be filled out within 72 hours of your scheduled flight departure.  By land it is within 72 hours of the border crossing.  If you are coming in on a cruise, it is within 72 hours of your embarkation on the ship, not within 72 hours of arrival to Canada (at least that is how I am reading the instructions).

1C8C8E1F-79F7-403C-B194-328F48DBAEA4.jpeg

Thanks...I did see that on the ArriveCAN app.  Can't complete it until 72 hours before sailing, as you noted.

If you're fully vaccinated, you don't need to have a negative C-19 test to enter Canada.  That changed 04/01.  I did see they can test randomly, but don't know how that would work.  Guess they just pull you aside and test you?

RCCL requires a negative C-19 test 2 days before embarkation. They said embarkation day does not count as one of those days.  So, sailing out Thursday.  I'll have my test done Tuesday, fly to Vancouver on Wednesday, embark on Thursday.

Hope to see you on board.