The Daily for Tuesday 03/29/2022

richwmn

Our roof was finished before 1 so all is quiet here again.  Now my blood pressure can return to normal!

I hope everything is completed properly and we have no more issues with the valley.  They said the flashing was too short.  That roof was put on during construction almost exactly 11 years ago, so I wish that would have been found before!🤷‍♀️

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks! -- I'll be sure to hug my Vietnam Veteran, but like @aliaschiefI know he'd rather forget those days. 🙂 

Not sure I want to forget those days.  They were probably the most important things I did in my Navy career.  I was newly appointed Warrant Officer and Electronics Repair Officer on a Navy repair ship.  Also my first time as a Division Officer with about 30 men under me.  We repaired the electronics on both South Vietnamese navy ships and U.S. Navy ships when we were there in 1970 and 1972.  The most joyful part of it was returning to our family when we returned to Long Beach after about nine months away from home.

Ray

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Not sure I want to forget those days.  They were probably the most important things I did in my Navy career.  I was newly appointed Warrant Officer and Electronics Repair Officer on a Navy repair ship.  Also my first time as a Division Officer with about 30 men under me.  We repaired the electronics on both South Vietnamese navy ships and U.S. Navy ships when we were there in 1970 and 1972.  The most joyful part of it was returning to our family when we returned to Long Beach after about nine months away from home.

Ray

DH was gone 12 months, we had been married for only 2 months when he left...hard times.  The good part, if there is one, is that he was with the intelligence so not in combat.  Of course I still worried.

We did have that one week in Hawaii for R&R but that was after he was gone 11 months.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Just a quickie and then I will go back and read!  We’ve had nice get togethers with the other Dailyites on board, and met up with staff we know from previous cruises.  I think 1100 on-board.  Wish you were all here.   We are keeping safe, and Captain van Kam(?)said at his greeting yesterday that Koningsdam is listed as CDC green and he wants to keep it that way!  I would say it’s 50/50 among the passengers!  

We we are in Santa Barbara today , finding internet at a Starbucks.  Thinking of you all! 

• Like 28

Good morning and thanks all!  @dfish that pasta looks good!  As does the drink @summer slope thank you! 
@mamaofamihope this one works, sounds good so far!

@smitty34877 hope this antibiotic works, can be so tricky.  DH had pneumonia and he kept having allergic reactions to the antibiotics 

We  stayed near Bristol before our last cruise and enjoyed a trip to Wells cathedral, stunning!  We had a lovely hotel with great views of the countryside.  

F5B9515B-1BA1-43FB-A665-C483C74E0D4E.jpeg

FE54D30C-C3FD-47D1-8B3E-2B71B64BDDB1.jpeg

84A53C7C-278D-43E6-9BB2-AD9973D901B0.jpeg

4472A13D-6E0D-475C-ACDE-A2BBA689D225.jpeg

E3CC24B2-E32E-47B3-A5DF-27BA7FA01025.jpeg

5CA4341D-A23D-4B64-96D6-AEF43DB5F244.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Just now, Cruising-along said:

DH was gone 12 months, we had been married for only 2 months when he left...hard times.  The good part, if there is one, is that he was with the intelligence so not in combat.  Of course I still worried.

We did have that one week in Hawaii for R&R but that was after he was gone 11 months.  

My Oldest DB was in the Navy on a hospital ship.He was gone for a year and hardly ever spoke about his experiences  except with those he served with.I was in High School at the time and I remember  writing many letters and  missing  him terribly.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

My Oldest DB was in the Navy on a hospital ship.He was gone for a year and hardly ever spoke about his experiences  except with those he served with.I was in High School at the time and I remember  writing many letters and  missing  him terribly.

Yes, only snail mail!  So good of you to write often to your DB.  DH doesn't talk about his experiences either.

I lived in CA where the atmosphere was so anti-military in 1969....we all know how that was.  

I remember a terrible week or longer when the P.O. didn't deliver his letters....he wrote every day, I was worried sick.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

We had a friend  on the USS Camden and another whose hair turned white overnight.  @Cruising-alongthat must have been incredibly difficult! 
We were very moved by our visit to the Vietnam Memorial wall in DC

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

How awful.  The last I had heard it was 3  so sad that we've lost two more.  After growing up in Central New York, like @ottahand7 I've traveled that route frequently for the entire time it's been in existence.  One of my thoughts is it is a dreadful place to need a lot of emergency equipment quickly, it's a VERY rural area.

No snow here but last night was our coldest night of March and I'm ready for spring.

Roy

What I have found on 81 is an awful lot of trucks on a 2 lane highway.   Of course the other option N S is I-95.   🙄

• Like 14

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh gosh, the roofer had some men available early and they are here right now banging around on the roof.  This is stressful!  I'll be very glad when this is over with and all is put back together again.😖

I understand that.  I had been dealing with a roofer to replace my roof after a hail storm.  It was covered by insurance but one morning when we both were barely up at 6:30 there was a pound on the front door.  The roofing crew was here.   😬 We had to move the vehicles and I about 100 plant sale plants behind the garage.   I was cussing having to move them all before 7am.    Anyway, they were done by 3pm but I am still finding roofing nails in my flower beds.    Now I hope they can get my siding in stock to repair the holes in the siding.   

• Like 19

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Thanks for your service. 

• Like 16

Thought some might like a Vietnam war story.  We were at Vung Tau with Vietnam navy ships tied up on both sides of us as we were working on them.  A Vietnam LSM was next to our lower machine shop with just a board to pass from our ship to theirs.  It happened that our Captain was almost paranoid about rats.  He offered a $25. reward to anyone who killed a rat on our ship.  Vietnam ships almost always had rats onboard.  We were welding on the LSM at night and you could see the rats going crazy, leaping in the air and reacting to the light of the arc welding.  One finally made it into the lower machine shop and eventually was cornered and killed.  The next day I paid the reward as one of my duties was custodian of the welfare and recreation fund.  But that wasn't the end of it.  As a repair ship, one of the shops could make brass plaques.  Soon there was a plaque on the bulkhead in the lower machine shop stating: "On this day, 22 July, 1970, on this spot, Petty Officer XXX killed a VietCong Rat."  

Ray

• Like 8
  • Haha 16

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

Thought some might like a Vietnam war story.  We were at Vung Tau with Vietnam navy ships tied up on both sides of us as we were working on them.  A Vietnam LSM was next to our lower machine shop with just a board to pass from our ship to theirs.  It happened that our Captain was almost paranoid about rats.  He offered a $25. reward to anyone who killed a rat on our ship.  Vietnam ships almost always had rats onboard.  We were welding on the LSM at night and you could see the rats going crazy, leaping in the air and reacting to the light of the arc welding.  One finally made it into the lower machine shop and eventually was cornered and killed.  The next day I paid the reward as one of my duties was custodian of the welfare and recreation fund.  But that wasn't the end of it.  As a repair ship, one of the shops could make brass plaques.  Soon there was a plaque on the bulkhead in the lower machine shop stating: "On this day, 22 July, 1970, on this spot, Petty Officer XXX killed a VietCong Rat."  

Ray

No matter the carnage there are many numerous stories such as yours. Funny!

• Like 10

Good afternoon!

I haven't posted in ages....things here are a bit hectic.  DH had a prostate procedure and is doing well, but still not back to normal.  I just came back from a long weekend in NC at my best friends house, celebrating her BIG birthday (I'll be catching up to her in about 6 weeks!).  Now I'm getting ready for knee replacement on Friday, dealing with medical clearance appointments, etc. and still trying to get to work before going in to the hospital. So tomorrow is a work day at the library, instead of working from home. 

So very sorry to hear of beloved pets crossing the Rainbow Bridge.  Also so sorry to hear of Covid cases at home and on ships.  It's been such a difficult time for everyone!

I truly appreciate Vietnam Veterans Day.  My DH is a vet (USMC 1967-1971), and served 2 tours in Nam near the DMZ.  He is active in a few veterans groups, but especially the Vietnam War Veterans Association, a local group here on Long Island.  Since they all experienced the same thing it's been very beneficial.  We also will be going back to Kokomo, Indiana where an annual Vietnam Veterans gathering is held every year.  Thousands of veterans come and camp (or stay in hotels, like us!), and they have music and time to gather and chat.  The field (used to be a corn field) is call the Healing Field, and it feels like that every time we go.  So thank you to all the veterans here in our Daily family - I appreciate your sacrifices and time spent away from family and friends.

OK, back to work (from home) for a few more minutes.  Thanks for this absolutely wonderful place, I can't wait to read it every day.

Take care,

Laura

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

@JazzyV

Vanessa - Thank you for the suggestion. When I lived in the mid-Atlantic, I took a Zirtec every day there was not at least six inches of snow on the ground. When I moved to Florida - nothing bothered me. Until this year.  So I guess I need to start taking Zirtec when the oak trees start popping. 

They don’t make me drowsy at all. My sinus pain is always behind my eyes and when it is bad - it hurts to keep my eyes open. Second time this year. But manageable, so I am lucky. 

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, kplady said:

Now I'm getting ready for knee replacement on Friday, dealing with medical clearance appointments, etc. and still trying to get to work before going in to the hospital. So tomorrow is a work day at the library, instead of working from home. 

Wishing you the best on the knee surgery.  I am glad both of my knees are done and doing well.  I don't want to go through that again.

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Wishing you the best on the knee surgery.  I am glad both of my knees are done and doing well.  I don't want to go through that again.

I've already had one done three years ago, hoping this one will go as well.  We're cruising in August!!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, kplady said:

Good afternoon!

I haven't posted in ages....things here are a bit hectic.  DH had a prostate procedure and is doing well, but still not back to normal.  I just came back from a long weekend in NC at my best friends house, celebrating her BIG birthday (I'll be catching up to her in about 6 weeks!).  Now I'm getting ready for knee replacement on Friday, dealing with medical clearance appointments, etc. and still trying to get to work before going in to the hospital. So tomorrow is a work day at the library, instead of working from home. 

So very sorry to hear of beloved pets crossing the Rainbow Bridge.  Also so sorry to hear of Covid cases at home and on ships.  It's been such a difficult time for everyone!

I truly appreciate Vietnam Veterans Day.  My DH is a vet (USMC 1967-1971), and served 2 tours in Nam near the DMZ.  He is active in a few veterans groups, but especially the Vietnam War Veterans Association, a local group here on Long Island.  Since they all experienced the same thing it's been very beneficial.  We also will be going back to Kokomo, Indiana where an annual Vietnam Veterans gathering is held every year.  Thousands of veterans come and camp (or stay in hotels, like us!), and they have music and time to gather and chat.  The field (used to be a corn field) is call the Healing Field, and it feels like that every time we go.  So thank you to all the veterans here in our Daily family - I appreciate your sacrifices and time spent away from family and friends.

OK, back to work (from home) for a few more minutes.  Thanks for this absolutely wonderful place, I can't wait to read it every day.

Take care,

Laura

Prayers 🙏 and very best wishes for successful knee replacement surgery on Friday Laura.

Pleased to hear your husband is recovering well from a prostate procedure.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kplady said:

I've already had one done three years ago, hoping this one will go as well.  We're cruising in August!!

My wife  needs both  her  knees done but  not  being done here  at  the  moment.

Jim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Ray, I contemplated replying but I agree it was the best years of my military career as I got to do what I was trained for as an Aero Medic. It was also the worst year of my life!

However, after I saw every day, every casualty in I Corp for one year and four return TDY’s plus way too many trips to I Corp Morgue I try and block that out.

Very proud of all who served and those friends and all who never came home.🇺🇸

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11