Arcadia Jottings

wowzz

3 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Latest destination I have seen mentioned is Fawley,from my working days I seem to remember oil installations being there,not sure what else!

Fawley Tower, not sure it's there any more!  Still says Southampton and she is only doing 8 knots, so who knows what she is doing.

On 4/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, wowzz said:

Cloudy and damp in Funchal today.

Had an excellent meal out in the old town last night - sounds awful but it was good to eat off the ship.

As an observation, as we know, wine bottles are no longer stored for you if not empty. Thus there are loads of people carrying half empty bottles around.

We now no longer bother with ordering glasses of wine -we order a bottle and carry it around various venues, and ask for glasses at each venue.  Means we can have exactly how much we want, and it works out cheaper!

Wine bottles were certainly stored for us on Aurora last week.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Interesting,looking at P&O's latest offerings I see a 30 night Transatlantic cruise on Arcadia departing Southampton in September 2024,does anybody really see her as still part of the fleet by then?

It would be a real shame if she was not, but they need to spend a lot of money on her. Cabins, bathrooms, plumbing need sorting out. There was some rot on balcony panels and ill fitting patio doors too. We love the smaller ships, so hope P&O bring them up to a reasonable standard again.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, davecttr said:

Perhaps we should compare cabins to the Premier Inn standard, with a shower replacing the bath in normal cabins and a mini fridge added. I have always been happy with a room there. 😉

Having recently stayed in both  Premier Inn and Britannia I can report they have both changed to really soft pillows! Bit too soft for me.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 2:25 PM, Josy1953 said:

On our recent Princess cruise there was only one speaker but he was a naval historian and his talks about the British Navy were very good.

I agree about the atrium, it is a poor site for the coffee shop, we found it too noisy and we were rarely able to get a seat when we wanted a coffee.  Some peop!e seemed to consider it an ideal place to spend the whole day, to the point of leaving their belongings in the chairs and tables there while they went off to do some other activity ( perhaps they are the same people who hog the sun beds around the pools in warmer times 😇 )

I agree! We went on Sapphire Princess in 2019 and it was often hard to get a seat in the International cafe area.  On the formal night we were all dressed up standing on the higher levels looking down to the atrium and there were several people there dressed very casually- spoilt the whole ambience!! ( this is tongue in cheek before anyone moans) My hurt were hurting in my heels and they were lounging about in crocs 😂

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Having recently stayed in both  Premier Inn and Britannia I can report they have both changed to really soft pillows! Bit too soft for me.

Premier Inn usually have two pillows on the bed and another two of a different weight in a closed bag on top of the clothes hanging unit. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Premier Inn usually have two pillows on the bed and another two of a different weight in a closed bag on top of the clothes hanging unit. 

That is my experience too, at least it was last august

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

Interesting,looking at P&O's latest offerings I see a 30 night Transatlantic cruise on Arcadia departing Southampton in September 2024,does anybody really see her as still part of the fleet by then?

Your could be right they will not let you search a Caribbean 30 night  cruise on Arcadia in September 2024 on there website, actually no cruise's in September 2024 for any of there ships

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Your could be right they will not let you search a Caribbean 30 night  cruise on Arcadia in September 2024 on there website, actually no cruise's in September 2024 for any of there ships

The Transatlantic for Sept 2024 goes to US/Canada, not Caribbean. 

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/J415/J415

P&O have always fielded this cruise for the last few years, alternating with Arcadia and Aurora, whilst the other of the two does an up the St Lawrence cruise.

Edited by tring

I think there is a very reasonable chance that Arcadia will still be in the fleet then. As I've said previously, I think Aurora is highly likely to be disposed of first in light of her age, operating costs and having fewer balconies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

All 4 seemed soft 🤷‍♀️
Surprised me as one of the best sleeps I’ve ever had was in that West Quay PI!

Edited by P&O SUE

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I think there is a very reasonable chance that Arcadia will still be in the fleet then. As I've said previously, I think Aurora is highly likely to be disposed of first in light of her age, operating costs and having fewer balconies.

🤞

3 hours ago, tring said:

The Transatlantic for Sept 2024 goes to US/Canada, not Caribbean. 

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/J415/J415

P&O have always fielded this cruise for the last few years, alternating with Arcadia and Aurora, whilst the other of the two does an up the St Lawrence cruise.

I got a bit excited was going to book it as I am due to retire in 2024

18 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I got a bit excited was going to book it as I am due to retire in 2024

We are booked on that cruise to New York and back for Sept  2023, if Aurora still sailing.  We were booked on the same for 2021, but did not happen. I think that is a very good itinerary indeed and we could also meet up with my brother and SIL in St. John's, Newfoundland, where they live. 

The St Lawrence itinerary is also good, but we have done a better itinerary with Fred a few years back from Liverpool which was handy for us.  Sadly Fred more into scenic cruising rivers over there than calling at a selection of really unusual ports now and prices have been well hiked as well.  I wonder if P&O will just stop those itineraries once their mid sized ships have gone.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1