Un-Boosted Have to Test Within 48 hours, Not 72

shortyjoesmith

My son-in-law didn't even think about not having received his booster, he received his initial one later than all of the rest of us due to eligibility. We didn't think twice about it since he had received the first two. We all tested within the 72 hour window. He had to be re-tested at the port since he was not eligible for the 72 hour time-frame. We had no idea.  

He passed so it didn't really affect our vacation but I thought I'd pass it on to others that may not have received the booster yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shortyjoesmith said:

My son-in-law didn't even think about not having received his booster, he received his initial one later than all of the rest of us due to eligibility. We didn't think twice about it since he had received the first two. We all tested within the 72 hour window. He had to be re-tested at the port since he was not eligible for the 72 hour time-frame. We had no idea.  

He passed so it didn't really affect our vacation but I thought I'd pass it on to others that may not have received the booster yet.

See, this is where it is confusing.  Was he eligible for his booster, but hadn't gotten it?  I won't be eligible for my booster yet for my cruise in 29 days.  I'm just going to go with 2 days to be safe. 

And what will be the policy now that they have approved a second booster for those over 50? Will those of us who have not seen 50 for quite a while be required a second booster for the 72 hour window?

30 minutes ago, NauticaX said:

I thought it was within 72 and 24 hours regardless of vaccination status now?

From Carnival "Hewve Fun Be Safe":

IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective with sailings departing as of March 1, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shortyjoesmith said:

The CDC has now upped to a second booster to be "fully vaccinated".

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The CDC has now upped to a second booster to be "fully vaccinated".

Incorrect, they have not changed the definition of "fully vaccinated"

Fully vaccinated means the same thing it meant last year - you have received two doses of a two-dose vaccine, or one dose of a one-dose vaccine, at least two weeks ago. There is no requirement to be boosted to be considered "fully vaccinated"

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Fully vaccinated means the same thing it meant last year - you have received two doses of a two-dose vaccine, or one dose of a one-dose vaccine, at least two weeks ago. There is no requirement to be boosted to be considered "fully vaccinated"

Exactly! They still have not changed that! The confusing part for some is they use the terms "Fully vaccinated" and "Up to date." This is directly from their site...

A person is fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving all recommended doses in their primary series of COVID-19 vaccine.

Up to date means a person has received all recommended doses in their primary series of COVID-19 vaccine, and a booster dose when eligible.

And yes, we've paid attention to what Carnival says because 2 of us are fully vaccinated, which is what they technically require, but not up to date (boostered), which they don't require. So we have to be tested 48 hours before. But another person is considered vaccinated and up to date, since he received his vaccines less than 6 weeks ago, and not eligible for a booster yet, so he can test in the 72 hour window.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

From Carnival "Hewve Fun Be Safe":

IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective with sailings departing as of March 1, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

Ah I see, missed that part.  I guess because it's the antigen test and not PCR.  I was tracking for unvaccinated which can do their test between 24-72 hours.

Guests ages 2 and older must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test, taken within 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date at check-in (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday, but not on the morning of embarkation).

33 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Semantics... if you want to get your test 3 days out...you need a 4th jab

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

Just to be technically correct, the CDC now allows a second booster for those over 50. They recommend a second booster for all over 65 and those over 50 who are immunocompromised.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, fully vaccinated is 2 days (it's not counted in hours).  The last 2 cruises I have been on, I tested at 12:01 am, which comes to more like 58 hours (before factoring in the time difference because I'm the west coast) and they never questioned it.  (Which is consistent with their written policy).

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

It’s much more than semantics. You must be fully vaccinated to sail (unless you’re one of the lucky 5% per sailing that is able to secure an exception). You do not need boosters to be fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

Please correct me if I am wrong, because we sail in a little over 2 weeks. This is what I understand to be correct based in Carnival’s website, even though my PVP told me something different. 

I am fully vaxxed and had my booster shot earlier this week.

Wife and daughter are fully vaxxed but are not yet eligible for a booster because they completed the initial vaccination course within the last couple of months. 

The way I read it, we are all eligible for 72 hour testing. 

1 hour ago, cltcruiser said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, because we sail in a little over 2 weeks. This is what I understand to be correct based in Carnival’s website, even though my PVP told me something different. 

I am fully vaxxed and had my booster shot earlier this week.

Wife and daughter are fully vaxxed but are not yet eligible for a booster because they completed the initial vaccination course within the last couple of months. 

The way I read it, we are all eligible for 72 hour testing. 

There are no hour definitions. You are eligible for three day prior testing.