Test at Southampton Terminal (Merged)

Jack E Dawson

On 3/30/2022 at 6:00 PM, aday10 said:

We then headed inside and after about 5 minutes, we got our results to say we are all negative! 

aday10, can you please provide some detail on how you received your results? Was it a text, e-mail? Did you have to be on a Wi-Fi network? Was there a free guest network in the terminal? We will be coming from the States and boarding the QM2 on May 8th and would like to have a better comfort level on how all this is done?

Thanks

Jack

I presume that the test results for today's departure will have been sent the same way as for the cruise that disembarked this morning which we were on.  For us prior to embarkation at the point of waiting for the swab to be taken they confirm your phone number and email address - and we got the SMS text as well as the email with the results once they were finalised when we were in the departure area of the terminal - which was about 20 minutes after the swab was taken, once you have the negative result confirmed on your phone you show the staff and are let through to the check-in desks.  So pretty efficient testing and embarkation process, and in our view actually more efficient than before the pandemic! The email should arrive whether you are on a cell network or on wifi.

Edited by mcloaked

We are US citizens that will be returning to the US on QM2. A cell phone number is being asked for and we only have a US cell phone. Does anyone know if we can get a hard copy of the results rather than text. Test will be performed at the terminal bt Cunard prior to boarding.

There was a desk in the terminal, manned by a couple of people, for queries like your own. This was just in front of the check-in desks, at the Ocean Terminal,  so sure wherever you board it will be much the same.

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

aday10, can you please provide some detail on how you received your results? Was it a text, e-mail? Did you have to be on a Wi-Fi network? Was there a free guest network in the terminal? We will be coming from the States and boarding the QM2 on May 8th and would like to have a better comfort level on how all this is done?

Thanks

Jack

Jack 

"We went to Norway earlier this month. For those who did  not have access to wi-if or text, there was a manned desk for collection of test results, near the check-in. The queue was not very long, and all is well organised. Ask any of the the duty persons in the terminal, but I am sure all details will be given to you at time of testing. The process is efficient!

2 hours ago, mcloaked said:

I presume that the test results for today's departure will have been sent the same way as for the cruise that disembarked this morning which we were on.  For us prior to embarkation at the point of waiting for the swab to be taken they confirm your phone number and email address - and we got the SMS text as well as the email with the results once they were finalised when we were in the departure area of the terminal - which was about 20 minutes after the swab was taken, once you have the negative result confirmed on your phone you show the staff and are let through to the check-in desks.  So pretty efficient testing and embarkation process, and in our view actually more efficient than before the pandemic! The email should arrive whether you are on a cell network or on wifi.

How many people get tested at once? Is it like the vaccination centres where they can do 6 or 8 in the separate little booths? When confirmed by phone you mean confirmed by I Phone? And confirmed to each person's I Phone?

There was a line of booths and doing a set of people in parallel, like in the other test centres at least in the UK, and they were taking each person's details, including phone number and email address, and confirming other details for security. I didn't count how many booths there were but from memory it was around 6 or so at the time we went through embarkation at Ocean Terminal. The SMS text they then send around 20 minutes or so later (presume it depends how busy they are), if negative, says Dear XXX YYY, Test date: xx March 2022, Your coronavirus lateral flow test result is negative. It then goes on to tell you to complete the rest of the embarkation process at the ship's departure terminal.   The message will go to any mobile phone whether an iPhone or Android phone, so long as they have your phone number. Presumably if the result is positive you would get a different message, and would not be permitted to then continue to embarkation.  Each person has to have their own phone number for the result to be sent to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruzinram said:

We are US citizens that will be returning to the US on QM2. A cell phone number is being asked for and we only have a US cell phone. Does anyone know if we can get a hard copy of the results rather than text. Test will be performed at the terminal bt Cunard prior to boarding.

The way it went on 20 March at Southampton  for our WB transatlantic to NY: (a) you get tested in a tent across the street from the terminal, (b) you will be given a green wristband if you're American [whereas the British get a blue - IIRC - wristband], (c) you cross over into the terminal, (d) based on your wristband color you are directed to the appropriate waiting area, (e) if you're American your waiting area will be near a table staffed by 2 women with laptops - they will notify you anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes about your results, (f) if you've tested negative you will THEN be directed to check-in for the voyage.

I believe the British receive their results via mobile/cell phone, whereas Americans don't (per my explanation above)

Of course, procedures could certainly change...

9 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks

Jack

You do know don't that according to Cunard website the current Covid practice is set to expire I believe in April time so a different set of situations will probably be in place for your May trip.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

How would they know whether it's your own number?

Surely they check the name on the testing message against passport so it doesn't matter what number it is sent to if the name on the result and passport don't match and don't come from their own centralised texting result number then the text is fake and hello life ban from Carnival cruise group.

Edited by ace2542

9 hours ago, Transatlantic Tom said:

I believe the British receive their results via mobile/cell phone, whereas Americans don't (per my explanation above)

Just to be a bit more precise, I believe anyone with a non-UK mobile phone will get their results from the attendants who monitor and announce passenger's names as the results arrive. 

In December I was given a tiny slip of paper stating "negative". I've kept that, as it was all that stood between me and boarding the QM2!

42 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Just to be a bit more precise, I believe anyone with a non-UK mobile phone will get their results from the attendants who monitor and announce passenger's names as the results arrive. 

In December I was given a tiny slip of paper stating "negative". I've kept that, as it was all that stood between me and boarding the QM2!

Yes,  you're right about those with a non-UK phone: you're shunted to an area of the terminal where - in lieu of a text message - you're told verbally. At least this was the method on Sunday March 20...

We used same mobile number for both myself and my husband. This worked OK on our February and March cruises.

When we completed online check-in prior to day of cruise we ensured mobile number correct/same for us both.

When you are at testing booth desk at the terminal (tent) they verify the mobile number they had for each of us against the mobile number they have on their system.

The results come through as two separate SMS texts on the same mobile. They each note the name of the specific individual the result relates to.

When you proceed to the check -in desk in the terminal following negative result you show them both if the messages.

• Like 3

I have to confess:

Last November, my wife and I gave the same number (mine). We sat together waiting for the results. Worse than waiting  for your school final exam results.

When I  checked my text messages, only my wife's appeared, and it was negative.

We sat for about another 20 minutes, and by this time I was starting to get a bit anxious.

A few minutes later, I said that I would have to go forward and ask what the problem was.

My wife said that I should check again first. This time I scrolled up and down, and discovered that actually our two results were on the one text and although mine was not immediately visible, it had been there all along, I just hadn't thought of scrolling up as I was expecting two messages. Twit!

Then they put us in a group prior to boarding. I wasn't quite sure that the lady had put us in the right place, but we sat on. I realised that I was right when the two ladies sitting in front of us produced a packed lunch. That confirmed my suspicions!

We re-approached the staff and were put in our proper group, QG where we normally go.

• Host Hattie changed the title to Test at Southampton Terminal (Merged)
8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

How would they know whether it's your own number?

It doesn't matter so long as you get the message confirming the result since the text message they send contains the name of the person who was tested (and they checked that against the name on the passport at the time you give the phone number for the result to be sent). So when the result is sent to the phone it contains both the name, the date of test, which of course has to be the day you are embarking, and the negative (or positive) result.  So the person who checks that phone message can see the name and the result and then they let the person through to the check-in desks - I guess you could give the same phone number for both spouses and then you would show the two messages to the staff checking and allowing people through. So yes you could have it sent to any phone so long as you will have that phone with you in the terminal when you are waiting to continue on to the check-in desks.

1 hour ago, mcloaked said:

It doesn't matter so long as you get the message confirming the result since the text message they send contains the name of the person who was tested (and they checked that against the name on the passport at the time you give the phone number for the result to be sent). So when the result is sent to the phone it contains both the name, the date of test, which of course has to be the day you are embarking, and the negative (or positive) result.  So the person who checks that phone message can see the name and the result and then they let the person through to the check-in desks - I guess you could give the same phone number for both spouses and then you would show the two messages to the staff checking and allowing people through. So yes you could have it sent to any phone so long as you will have that phone with you in the terminal when you are waiting to continue on to the check-in desks.

Does that have to be sent to an iphone or can be sent it a pay as you go phone the old cheap ones, a burner phone as you americans call them. Like the one James Spader uses on the blacklist you know the type I mean. I have the old type of phone can't use an i phone can't use a touch screen phone

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to Host Hattie and all you lovely Cunarders,

We have read the latest testing requirements from Cunard and find ourselves a bit confused, but that seems to be the norm these days.

We are traveling on the May 29 Southampton to NY QM2. American, 100% vaxxed and boosted. Is it possible to be tested at the pier/terminal at Southampton? The Cunard info just released states that for Southampton departures, the test does NOT need to be medically supervised. Where in Southampton might we find such a test (i.e. one that doesn’t cost £79 at the Regenerative Clinic!)? Many thanks for your thoughts. We will be in Southampton and vicinity for a full day prior to departure if that helps.

😎