Can We Switch Cabins with Family Members once Onboard?

This is a weird question, I know. And I'm wondering if anyone has done it.

We have 3 side by side cabins; two are adjoining.  Because our children at 16 and 18, I could not book them in a cabin together without an adult.  So I have myself and daughter in a cabin that adjoins to my mother's cabin, and my husband and son are in the third cabin which is right next door.

When we board, can we put our children in the cabin that adjoins to my mom's cabin (they don't get to see each other often) and then my husband and I can move into the third cabin?    Will they be able to put access onto the key card to open both of those cabins so we can each get into the correct cabins?🤪

Nothing weird about it. People do it all the time.  Once on board, go to guest services and have extra room cards made.  Royal doesn’t care who sleeps where.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, travelbug4 said:

This is a weird question, I know. And I'm wondering if anyone has done it.

We have 3 side by side cabins; two are adjoining.  Because our children at 16 and 18, I could not book them in a cabin together without an adult.  So I have myself and daughter in a cabin that adjoins to my mother's cabin, and my husband and son are in the third cabin which is right next door.

When we board, can we put our children in the cabin that adjoins to my mom's cabin (they don't get to see each other often) and then my husband and I can move into the third cabin?    Will they be able to put access onto the key card to open both of those cabins so we can each get into the correct cabins?🤪

You can go to guest services and get cards to the room you want them in but they will have to carry two cards.  In the future, you can book them in their own cabin without an adult as long as they are beside or across from you.  You just have to call to do it or have your travel agent do it if you use one.

Yes. Guest services can take care of very easily. They can make extra keys. Make sure you have the correct key (Seapass Card) tied to the credit card that you want. 

just FYI you could have booked the kids in a cabin close by - they don’t need to be booked with an adult. 

Yay!  This is excellent news and sounds easy enough to just switch it on the ship.

If I switch it now will it mess up the whole check-in process we've done - vaccine cards, checkin times, etc etc?  Just don't want to mess that up.   And carrying two cards sounds easy enough.

I guess I should have called to book.  The online booking wouldn't allow me to put them in a cabin by themselves even though attached to my mom.

Thanks everyone!  Love the Boards!

You do not need to carry two cards. Tell Guest Services who will be staying in which rooms and they will make new cards for everyone if need be. They will also make sure that onboard expenses get charged to the right account. This whole process is a little more time consuming that just getting an extra card, but it can be done. You might also be able to do it when you check in at the pier.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

17 hours ago, travelbug4 said:

Because our children at 16 and 18, I could not book them in a cabin together without an adult. 

For future reference, this is NOT correct.  On our upcoming cruise, we have two adjoining cabins (not connecting).  DW, DS(18), and I are booked in one cabin.  DD(16), her friend (17), and DS's girlfriend (18) are booked in the other.  

We did the same arrangement on our last cruise, but it was two DD's and one of their friends in the second cabin.

Our first cruise with the kids had the three kids in one cabin (at that point all under 17), and DW and I in the adjoining (that one was connecting). 

So, three cruises, each with two cabins, and on all three, there was one cabin with no adult (and two of them were not connecting cabins).  I believe you can do the same if the second cabin (with the kids) is across the hall from the one with the adults.