Drinks on Viking.

Dolebludger

25 minutes ago, PRH said:

But how does one know about this other than hearsay?  Curious way to do business!  Is it a price limit like $30 for tasting or a discount on $70?

With SSBP a $75 wine was discounted 15% for example.

30 minutes ago, PRH said:

But how does one know about this other than hearsay?  Curious way to do business!  Is it a price limit like $30 for tasting or a discount on $70?

Info is in the daily 

• Like 1

Ok, here's a new one. Hubby has to avoid slchohol this time. Does anyone know if Viking offers any non alchoholic beers or wines? We have found some OK IPAs and a few wines that he will drink (though I think they are terrible). Obviously, we will NOT be getting SS package this time and I will use OBC to purchase the drinks I want.

2 hours ago, bobitegirl said:

Ok, here's a new one. Hubby has to avoid slchohol this time. Does anyone know if Viking offers any non alchoholic beers or wines? We have found some OK IPAs and a few wines that he will drink (though I think they are terrible). Obviously, we will NOT be getting SS package this time and I will use OBC to purchase the drinks I want.

A pre-Covid bar menu I have only lists one "Nonalcoholic" - not even a name. Hopefully someone has more recent info. 🍺🥌

On 4/30/2022 at 5:21 AM, PRH said:

Why do people claim the SSP allows free or discounted tastings?

The reason is because we have experienced free tastings of wines, liqueurs and spirits. Each of the General Managers has some discretion on what they can offer.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The reason is because we have experienced free tastings of wines, liqueurs and spirits. Each of the General Managers has some discretion on what they can offer.

Available only to SSP?

On 4/30/2022 at 4:21 AM, PRH said:

Why do people claim the SSP allows free or discounted tastings?

We are currently on the Orion. 
We enjoyed an included tasting of 5

”Old World Wines” on our second day onboard. 
The tasting was well done with 3 different wine stewards doing the presentation. 
It was included with the SSBP,

$30 each without the SSBP

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We are concluding a 15 day cruise.  We did not purchase the beverage package.  We are not big drinkers and found included wine and beer acceptable.

we bought what drinks we wanted and following Clays suggestions of buying a bottle of gin to bring on board.  Including the gin, our bar tab was $93.  I would not have drunk anymore than what we did.

As always, your mileage may vary.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 8:07 PM, bobitegirl said:

Ok, here's a new one. Hubby has to avoid slchohol this time. Does anyone know if Viking offers any non alchoholic beers or wines? We have found some OK IPAs and a few wines that he will drink (though I think they are terrible). Obviously, we will NOT be getting SS package this time and I will use OBC to purchase the drinks I want.c

The bar menu lists one “Non-alcoholic Beer.” On Viking Mars, it’s CURRENTLY Carlsberg Nordic Beer, but wouldn’t count on it being the same on your cruise. If I see a non-alcoholic wine, I’ll let you know.

On Viking Sea in March I requested non-alcoholic wine one night at The Chef’s Table. They only had two options—a white and a red. The white was pretty good and paired well with the early part of the meal, but I did not care for the red. Sorry that I don’t remember the producer.

I can only manage regular wine infrequently since it’s often a migraine trigger for me. I was able to have a red wine in Manfredi’s with no ill effects but it’s touch and go for me.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:56 AM, LindaS272 said:

On Viking Sea in March I requested non-alcoholic wine one night at The Chef’s Table. They only had two options—a white and a red. The white was pretty good and paired well with the early part of the meal, but I did not care for the red. Sorry that I don’t remember the producer.

I can only manage regular wine infrequently since it’s often a migraine trigger for me. I was able to have a red wine in Manfredi’s with no ill effects but it’s touch and go for me.

Wife often got headaches in US from wine but oddly enough not on Viking cruises. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:07 PM, bobitegirl said:

I found more non-alcoholic drinks for your hubby. In Torshavn only, under GIN:

SEEDLIP SPICE 94, Alcohol free, England 4cl $7

In both Torshavn and Pap’s Explorer’s Bar, under MOCKTAILS (alcohol free):
ABSTINENCE ON THE BEACH, orange juice, cranberry juice, peach nectar, grenadine
COCONUT LAVENDER LEMONADE, lemon juice, sugar, coconut water, lavender syrup
MINT JULEP, fresh mint, sugar, lemon juice, Sprite, ginger ale
I haven’t seen alcohol-free wines on any bar menu, so you must have to ask for them.

My husband likes the Carlsberg (Danish, I think) non-alcoholic beer, available in every bar.

Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, Valdinger said:

I found more non-alcoholic drinks for your hubby. In Torshavn only, under GIN:

SEEDLIP SPICE 94, Alcohol free, England 4cl $7

In both Torshavn and Pap’s Explorer’s Bar, under MOCKTAILS (alcohol free):
ABSTINENCE ON THE BEACH, orange juice, cranberry juice, peach nectar, grenadine
COCONUT LAVENDER LEMONADE, lemon juice, sugar, coconut water, lavender syrup
MINT JULEP, fresh mint, sugar, lemon juice, Sprite, ginger ale
I haven’t seen alcohol-free wines on any bar menu, so you must have to ask for them.

My husband likes the Carlsberg (Danish, I think) non-alcoholic beer, available in every bar.

Enjoy your cruise!

That's excellent  information! Thanks so much!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobitegirl said:

That's excellent  information! Thanks so much!

I see the mocktails and NA beer are also available at the Viking Bar, and I suspect at the bar that serves Star Theater. Torshavn has things the other bars don’t, and Seedlip is probably one. At hosted parties, such as a welcome event or Explorer’s Society where sparkling wine is distributed by servers, there is usually at least one non-alcoholic drink in a rocks glass  on the trays; if not, you could just ask. Glad you liked my answer!