P&O delays their cruising to Pacific Islands

P&O have advised us that our 27th August cruise on the Pacific Encounter that was supposed to go to Noumea, Lifou and Port Vila will now be a cruise to North Queensland. It isn't surprising. We would prefer the international itinerary as they are more interesting than ports in our own state, but, it is what it is. We got a good price on a balcony cabin so at the moment, we are planning to go and just relax and enjoy the ship.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t believe the islands are open to cruise ships.

An announcement from P&O a few days ago stated that they hoped to start cruises to the islands on 20th August this year. That gave me some hope that our cruise on 27th would go as planned, but maybe New Caledonia and/or Vanuatu aren't ready to accept cruise ships that soon.

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

An announcement from P&O a few days ago stated that they hoped to start cruises to the islands on 20th August this year. That gave me some hope that our cruise on 27th would go as planned, but maybe New Caledonia and/or Vanuatu aren't ready to accept cruise ships that soon.

You are probably right but has anyone told vanuatu and New Caledonia yet

It wouldn’t be the first time cruise lines have been over ambitious.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

P&O have advised us that our 27th August cruise on the Pacific Encounter that was supposed to go to Noumea, Lifou and Port Vila will now be a cruise to North Queensland. It isn't surprising. We would prefer the international itinerary as they are more interesting than ports in our own state, but, it is what it is. We got a good price on a balcony cabin so at the moment, we are planning to go and just relax and enjoy the ship.

Hi

we are booked on that cruise.   Happy with the change ..we are going to the UK on Royal Carribean in July so this nice little trip up north in the middle of a Melbourne winter!

Eileen

Just now, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

we are booked on that cruise.   Happy with the change ..we are going to the UK on Royal Carribean in July so this nice little trip up north in the middle of a Melbourne winter!

Eileen

Might see you on board.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Fiji is open, so I am a little surprised they haven't tried to schedule a cruise there. Might need a few more than 7 days though.

Yes, it does take more than seven days to do a cruise from Brisbane to Fiji. P&O had already sold a series of seven-day cruises so I can see why they simply changed the itinerary. We were given the option of cancelling for a full refund, or keeping the booking. Some people will cancel, but P&O will sell those empty cabins easily. We got our balcony at a really good price. It's possible the prices could go up a bit when the cruise goes on sale again with the changed itinerary.

• Like 1

i know this seems ages away but I have a 2023 cruise ex Brisbane to the South Pacific Christmas what will happen between now and then?booked on one of those $1 deposits and I have A feeling it might be domestic or NZ.

39 minutes ago, nermal9900 said:

i know this seems ages away but I have a 2023 cruise ex Brisbane to the South Pacific Christmas what will happen between now and then?booked on one of those $1 deposits and I have A feeling it might be domestic or NZ.

Unless something goes drastically wrong with COVID or something else, you are safe with a South Pacific cruise in December 2023. I feel there is a good chance that a South Pacific cruise in December 2022 will also go ahead.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, springaussie said:

P&O today have changed more cruises to North Queensland instead of South Pacific. 

That's a pity. My cynical side thinks the Islands want passengers to test before arrival, but P&O doesn't want to do any mass testing that could put the positive numbers beyond the threshold.

Which cruises? 5th September is showing as the first Island departure on their site ATM,

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

That's a pity. My cynical side thinks the Islands want passengers to test before arrival, but P&O doesn't want to do any mass testing that could put the positive numbers beyond the threshold.

Which cruises? 5th September is showing as the first Island departure on their site ATM,

My Encounter leaving Brisbane on the 17th September is now going to Airlie Beach and Overnighting in Cairns instead of Noumea, Lifou and Port Vila. 

7 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

My Encounter leaving Brisbane on the 17th September is now going to Airlie Beach and Overnighting in Cairns instead of Noumea, Lifou and Port Vila. 

Did they offer anything, was showing sold out .Royal will be watching these closely. 

2 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Did they offer anything, was showing sold out .Royal will be watching these closely. 

Just a full refund if you want to cancel. I'm not, I don't care where we go. But I would like a sweetener for not cancelling such as some OBC to offset everything they're charging extra for these days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Royal will be watching these closely.

I think a few lines will be watching.

As well as P&O, I can see the following ships with Noumea in their schedules for example:

Oct: Westerdam, Quantum OTS

Nov: Quantum OTS, Ovation OTS

Dec: Carnival Splendor, Majestic Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, Quantum OTS, Ovation OTS

If the Pacific Islands are off the table for longer than they might have to scramble and reschedule some cruises, or maybe even redeploy a ship or two 😞 

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

P&O doesn't want to do any mass testing that could put the positive numbers beyond the threshold.

That's because the only way you get Covid now is to have a test. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Thank you

I'm not sure what is Tasmania's next cruise season 🤔? Have ovation 7th December 2022 Adelaide/Tasmania so have been looking into it. 

3 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

I'm not sure what is Tasmania's next cruise season 🤔? Have ovation 7th December 2022 Adelaide/Tasmania so have been looking into it. 

We are also on the same cruise, and also Majestic a month earlier.

Edited by woodscruise

42 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I assume the next to get changed will be the Trans Pacific’s. Or the cruise could wait until last minute. 

A few of them are stopping in the South Pacific. Probably be replaced with Auckland, Wellington or Picton. 

We are on the TP on ovation leaving Oct 09. 

We already stop in Wellington, Picton, and Napier. I’m hoping they keep the pacific islands as it was a major draw in us choosing this cruise. Time will tell I guess just wish we knew what was going on. I’m not opposed to more stops in NZ but would love to see the pacific islands as I doubt we will ever be back this way.