P&O delays their cruising to Pacific Islands

33 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

We are on the TP on ovation leaving Oct 09. 

We already stop in Wellington, Picton, and Napier. I’m hoping they keep the pacific islands as it was a major draw in us choosing this cruise. Time will tell I guess just wish we knew what was going on. I’m not opposed to more stops in NZ but would love to see the pacific islands as I doubt we will ever be back this way. 

Stopping at the South Pacific islands is a highlight on any trans Pacific cruise.  I imagine once the islands open up to visitors, cruise ships will stop there.  However, I understand the concern of islanders about spreading of Covid because minor illnesses, like Measles, can be deadly in the islands.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-05/cruise-ships-pacific-tourism-pollution-environment/101080764?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

There is some information about discusions going on between the cruise lines and Vanuatu in the article and what Vanuatu is asking for.

The article is from the 5th of June.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, losfp said:

I think a few lines will be watching.

As well as P&O, I can see the following ships with Noumea in their schedules for example:

Oct: Westerdam, Quantum OTS

Nov: Quantum OTS, Ovation OTS

Dec: Carnival Splendor, Majestic Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, Quantum OTS, Ovation OTS

If the Pacific Islands are off the table for longer than they might have to scramble and reschedule some cruises, or maybe even redeploy a ship or two 😞 

Are they off the table though? Fiji is open, and Vanuatu has announced their opening. NZ will be open.

P&O is still listed as visiting Noumea on 12th September with Pacific Explorer's 5th September departure.

25 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Are they off the table though? Fiji is open, and Vanuatu has announced their opening. NZ will be open.

P&O is still listed as visiting Noumea on 12th September with Pacific Explorer's 5th September departure.

This is a North Queensland cruise now. 

Just now, Sparky74 said:

Is PNG open yet? We’re booked on a P&O PNG cruise in October. 

Not to my knowledge, no go zone as well for OZ travellers. The lurgy is still out of control.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Fiji is open as we just came from there on Sunday. We had to test negative on arrival in Fiji & again to cruise.  Had 3 great days on land but within 3 days on being on a Blue lagoon cruise we both self tested positive to covid. The cruise line did not mention or seen to care that their starf were coughing all over the place, I think it was them spreading it.

We were really quite sick & still feel the remnants 10 days on.

Vanuatu probably aren't willing for this to happen. 

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Bate and switch 🤣

I would say if you rang them to book, or tried to book through your T/A, you would be advised upfront. Still, they really need to put a block on being able to book a cruise that no longer exists.

3 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

Fiji is open as we just came from there on Sunday. We had to test negative on arrival in Fiji & again to cruise.  Had 3 great days on land but within 3 days on being on a Blue lagoon cruise we both self tested positive to covid. The cruise line did not mention or seen to care that their starf were coughing all over the place, I think it was them spreading it.

We were really quite sick & still feel the remnants 10 days on.

Vanuatu probably aren't willing for this to happen. 

That's sad. This is an awesome cruise, but sorry to hear your trip was affected. P&O crew are being tested, but it was the passengers that were coughing - plenty of them.

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

That's sad. This is an awesome cruise, but sorry to hear your trip was affected. P&O crew are being tested, but it was the passengers that were coughing - plenty of them.

We cruise again in about 8 weeks. If we get covid again cruising will be out for us.

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

The on board revenue from drinks must drop significantly when a South Pacific cruise becomes a Queensland cruise. 
On the other hand fuel would be less going up the Queensland coast. 

If the number of port and sea days are the same it shouldn't make much difference. Some people drink more onboard during sea days with cocktails or beers around the pool but others, like us, only drink in the evenings mostly so there is no difference between a port day and a sea day.

P&O experts.
Our September cruise has just changed from South Pacific to Qld Domestic and I would like to update my ID from Passport to Drivers Licence. Does anyone know how I can do that ? I have logged in to Cruise Control Dashboard and I can't see where I change it. I'm "checked in" and "Photo ID Uploaded".
I know how easy it is to update in the Princess Medallion app, just not the P&O Cruise Control.
Thanks.

39 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

P&O experts.
Our September cruise has just changed from South Pacific to Qld Domestic and I would like to update my ID from Passport to Drivers Licence. Does anyone know how I can do that ? I have logged in to Cruise Control Dashboard and I can't see where I change it. I'm "checked in" and "Photo ID Uploaded".
I know how easy it is to update in the Princess Medallion app, just not the P&O Cruise Control.
Thanks.

I no longer have an active booking to check. Pretty sure that the passenger info - name, DOB, identification is locked when it is entered. Maybe it is editable via the check-in bit in cruise control. If you can see your details there, and can't change them, it would be done via contacting P&O.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I no longer have an active booking to check. Pretty sure that the passenger info - name, DOB, identification is locked when it is entered. Maybe it is editable via the check-in bit in cruise control. If you can see your details there, and can't change them, it would be done via contacting P&O.

I just found where I can edit it in Cruise Control. But changing it from a Passport isn't an option. Still say passport and issue date and expiry. No option to make it a DL. Oh well, no biggie. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

I just found where I can edit it in Cruise Control. But changing it from a Passport isn't an option. Still say passport and issue date and expiry. No option to make it a DL. Oh well, no biggie. Thanks.

Same as for Princess. DL followed by the number is acceptable, along with the issue and expiry dates for the licence.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Same as for Princess. DL followed by the number is acceptable, along with the issue and expiry dates for the licence.

I just put the number in on Princess, without the DL. If there are any issues I'll dort it out on embarkation day.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:22 AM, woodscruise said:

Does anyone know if Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania is open for cruising yet?

Victoria is open, but out of season with no ships planned yet.

South Australia announced their opening yesterday, with Coral Princess the first to call on 17th September.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 1:48 PM, arxcards said:

but it was the passengers that were coughing - plenty of them.

My wife and I have not stopped coughing for the past 2 months - but we have not had Covid. 

14 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

My wife and I have not stopped coughing for the past 2 months - but we have not had Covid. 

Barry, I note you have been  on Arcadia, so were we 2012, Sydney to Southampton, then b2b Med cruise on same ship, hundreds were coughing, it was known as the Arcadia Cough and apparently lasted years, you may still have it young fella.

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Prior to boarding, you are also attesting a health survey. Coughing plus one other respiratory symptom would prohibit you from boarding.

Some of the coughing aboard was not the clear your throat cough, but some clearly had a respiratory illness of some kind. It is more than the covid test results, but it would seem the survey has been given the same regard as it was on the tick and flick paper forms.