The Daily for Thursday 03/31/2022

richwmn

Today is Manatee Appreciation Day, National Clam on the Half Shell Day, and National Crayon Day

Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.--Abraham Lincoln

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Tamales
Drink of the Day - Apri Diem
Wine of the Day - Château Pichon Baron 2018 Pauillac Bordeaux
Destination of the Day - Gibraltar,

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Kralendijk Bonaire eta 4/1

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay, BS eta 4/1

George Town, Grand Cayman Island

Rotterdam   08:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas private island

Eurodam   08:00 - 15:00

Ocho Rios, JM

Zuiderdam   eta 4/1

San Francisco, California

Koningsdam   - 23:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea English Channel

Volendam   Destination Scheveningen NL eta 4/2

Augusta, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Drifting

0331World.thumb.png.6619fb4b88a58b4d577e3739a39088e6.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good morning and thank you for the Daily Report.

I appreciate manatees.  I'll pass on clams on a half shell.  I'm sure we have crayons somewhere in the house.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe, that may be dinner tonight.

Hope the drink and wine are good.

We are scheduled to stop in Gibraltar on our next cruise. 🤞  Thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Happy Thursday everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Manatees are such peaceful creatures I’m glad that today’s their day.  I’m not so sure that clams would be very happy about today.  I always wanted the 64 box of crayons but didn't get it.  Mr. Lincoln’s quote is spot on.  The meal sounds very tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port so I look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Manatees are magnificent creatures.  I haven't used crayons in many years and will pass on both the Crabs (almost treason for a Marylander) and the Tamale.  I've been to Gibraltar a couple of times but never on a BHB,  Love the Lincoln quote.  My alternative menu suggestion is Pineapple, Kiwi, Strawberry Passion Fruit Cup, Prime Rib of Beef, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 17, 2017:

Ddishes31.jpg

Despite a couple of very rough days I decided to put @kazu on the celebrations list because she accomplished a LOT that needed to be done.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sailingdutchy, and aliaschief with Covid
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
kplady awaiting knee replacement Friday and DH recovering from prostate procecure
Irishjim pet scan
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
Major progress for Kazu dealing with Marley and Jose
3 days for GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
 Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred   sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10) and Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10)  at sea
Good scan result for Ottahand7
Sam’s new aide doing great
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

For today I have a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It's from the layover on my 2014 Crystal Symphony/Crystal Serenity/Amsterdam combination.  My last night in South Africa was a visit to Aquila Private Game Preserve about 50 miles North of Cape Town:

daysend0331.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone!  

Interesting group of days.   I've been to Gibraltar.  I'll have to look for pictures later.  I remember having to walk across the airport runway to get into town.  

I have to stop by the lab on the way to  the pool for blood tests this morning, so I have to carry my breakfast with me.  And, speaking of food, who wants a chicken tamale?   Or I should say a chicken tamal as that is the correct way for the singular version.  Tamales is plural.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-tamales/

879896594_chickentamales1.jpg.5f9879c36810c590477f00fa420b7bb7.jpg

Sure looks good doesn't it?   Tamales can be made in advance and frozen for when you want them.  They make a great street food, although I'll be giving them a pass due to carb load.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/chicken-tamales-recipe-2106342

1498651207_chickentamales2.jpeg.a6af0180bf02a7da946535e0582dd79f.jpeg

I think I'd like the chicken with the green chile sauce all alone on this next one.   https://www.isabeleats.com/chicken-tamales/

2116143301_chickentamales3.thumb.jpg.5f34c47dfb5b4482fdf516561a12f95f.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers to all those celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is sunny now but was snowing when I was waiting for Pauline at the hairdresser's.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and excellent quote.

Manatee's deserve appreciation.

I will pass on the food and drink.

We have just been to Gibraltar so I will find some photos.

Prayers 🙏 always for our members on the care report.

Wishing everyone a happy day.

Graham.

IMG_20220331_110458.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

I was in Gibraltar with a friend in November of 2013.  We were staying in Malaga and took a day trip.  I don't have all the pictures here, but there are a couple that stand out.

This first one is the glimpse of The Rock as we waited to cross the runway.  

1721927345_2012-11-0305_55_33.thumb.jpg.edc99335e3437702064ea79b04cb5554.jpg

All's clear!  No planes coming!

350545850_2012-11-0305_59_06.thumb.jpg.7cbb3dbd78d9b4fa29a4589d658fbbbd.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It is already super windy here, and the worst won’t arrive until late this afternoon. Off to the gym early for a Tai Chi class. “Stealth Omicron” numbers are starting to rise here. And @bennybear Brenda, I also heard you need to swab your throat and nose for the most accurate test results. Sigh. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family.

Smiles of the day….

AA4A449A-154E-4C97-86AB-1648886515A4.jpeg.9ea087ae5781151458b69e1a899d6d79.jpeg

A5BEDFB7-6D92-44B6-AEF3-1C328B3249E3.jpeg.9e2fb68b145bd5052ee7397026c6014e.jpeg

A3AF0BCC-9155-4D3F-87D9-CFBE7BBCB275.jpeg.8a8af694e23d71a7794bb35d3c8eac13.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Pichon Baron 2018 Pauillac

With a LOW rating of 96, you just know this wine has to be special. I would love a taste. And though pricey, we have seen higher prices. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $159.20

Winemaker Notes

Our Grand Vin Château Pichon Baron 2nd Grand Cru Classé in 1855 comes from the very oldest vines grown on the historic plots of the estate. This authentic Pauillac offers an amazing sensory experience with its black fruit flavours and spicy hints. Château Pichon Baron shows great elegance, intensity, and exceptional length on the palate. It is a wine that improves year after year and can age for over 40 years in the cellar.

Blend: 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Merlot

WE100 Wine Enthusiast

This great estate in southern Pauillac, facing the Latour vineyard, is at the top of its game. In this release, the tannins are as impressive and dense as the black fruits. Together they form a harmonious ensemble, richly structured, concentrated from the many old vines in the blend, and very ageworthy. Drink from 2027. Cellar Selection

WW100 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
COMMENTARY: The 2018 Château Pichon Baron takes the prize as the star of the vintage. TASTING NOTES: This wine excels in all categories—aroma, flavors, balance, concentration, and style. It offers aromas and flavors of extracted black fruit, hints of licorice, oak, and other still to be revealed nuances. Give it time in the cellar before popping its cork. (Tasted: June 25, 2021, San Francisco, CA)
D99 Decanter
Generous aromatics of dark berry fruit, caramel, and spice are clear indicators of a warm vintage, but there are also floral notes and no heaviness whatsoever. There is juicy, savoury substance on the palate, sustained by gossamer tannins of surprising delicacy, but lurking underneath is the power so characteristic of this vintage. A few years of cellaring will be needed for the terroir expression to hit its stride.
JD97 Jeb Dunnuck
A beautiful, majestic Pauillac that reminds me a little of the 2000, the 2018 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron checks in as 78% Cabernet Sauvignon and 22% Merlot that was brought up in 80% new French oak. It shows the estate's more pure Cabernet, focused, elegant style yet offers full-bodied richness and serious depth of fruit as well as awesome notes of crème de cassis, graphite, lead pencil shavings, tobacco, and wet stone-like minerality. With building tannin's, a fresh, focused texture, and a great finish, it's not for those looking for instant gratification, and I suspect it will need a solid decade or more of cellaring, but it will evolve for 50 years or more. It's a profound 2018. Rating : 97+
WS97 Wine Spectator

A very polished and pure expression of Pauillac, but don't go to sleep on it. As charming and vibrant as the cassis, cherry preserve and blackberry paste flavors are, they have a latent saturated feel. And then there's a serious network of iron girders supporting it all, along with sweet tobacco, floral and worn cedar accents. Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best from 2030 through 2050.

JS97 James Suckling

Aromas of blackcurrants, blueberries, ash and cedar with hints of conifer. Full-bodied, yet so tight and refined with polished, toned tannins that are creamy and compact with a silky texture. Energetic and driven. Try after 2026.

RP96 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2018 Pichon-Longueville Baron is a blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon and 22% Merlot, aged for 18 months in barriques, 80% new and 20% one year old. Production of the grand vin represents 50% of the harvest this year. Deep garnet-purple colored, the nose bursts from the glass with flamboyant scents of stewed black plums, crème de cassis and Black Forest cake, plus suggestions of Indian spices, unsmoked cigars, pencil shavings and espresso. The medium to full-bodied palate delivers impactful black fruit preserves and exotic spice layers, framed by plush tannin's and a lively backbone, finishing long and spicy. Rating : 96+

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 10

Thanks for the Thursday Daily, Rich.

Love Manatees & clams (yum).  Crayons have certainly given a lot of joy to many youngsters for many years.  

I like the quote but don’t quite agree with it.  It can be difficult to make up your mind to be happy during sad times.  Everyone has their own race to run.

67EBFF6F-747A-4A64-9F67-B86F9964A131.thumb.jpeg.7e3efc4d62d50bb582c9ed582bc8da7c.jpeg

DH would love today’s meal.  

88440E3C-BF6E-4210-A99D-E711CEF557B1.jpeg.8991999bb8f2bc01f806dbc72342761f.jpeg

We missed Gibraltar a couple of times and finally got there on one of our last cruises.  Really enjoyed it and I was amazed at their airplane runway road.  I’ll see if I can find pics later.

@rafinmdI’m glad you think I have accomplished a lot.  I still have a lot to do and a lot of waiting, I fear.  In the meantime, hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to the hospital I go.  Looks like a messy day for my travels - snow then rain.  Just don’t let the rain freeze, please?  I have a real umbrella in the SUV. 😉 

2524A528-06AC-4C70-A32A-920A9EF29101.thumb.jpeg.4c27ff60549af284c9923533d0b0b329.jpeg

We are getting warnings of covid being rampant.  My neighbour (widowed last year and very supportive) reached out to me last night to tell me to stay away.  A lot of people she knows are not feeling well.  No one has tested positive yet but she is being cautious to protect others.  Bless her.

2032618D-B55D-4284-84D2-256A197BE8B5.thumb.jpeg.cfcd74d15d20e94503f7ebe291400e8d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

7DB4B020-E08E-4BB9-9BFA-E457D6764578.thumb.jpeg.03937b21253a16d9da52fd7ea161438c.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your mask when / where needed.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning  everyone. @kplady,I  will be saying a prayer for your surgery  tomorrow  and also hope your DH feels better soon. @irishjim,prayers for you as well today as you undergo the scan.  @kazu,I hope your hospital trip is a smooth one.And I second Roy,you have accomplished  a great deal with awfully difficult circumstances. 

I love clams in any form and always enjoyed crayons.I have been to the port twice and toured the rock with the overly friendly apes.We also explored the town where DH was able to enjoy a British  pub.

I love tamales but will wait for someone  to make them for us.We are making bean and cheese enchiladas  for our dinner tonight instead.

I met a neighbor while dog walking earlier and he told me he had to close his restaurant  for a week due to most of the staff having covid.Some have had it twice now.Everyone is vaccinated. Scary stuff as lots of folks around here went onside to eat since the middle of March.

Terry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

For today I have a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It's from the layover on my 2014 Crystal Symphony/Crystal Serenity/Amsterdam combination.  My last night in South Africa was a visit to Aquila Private Game Preserve about 50 miles North of Cape Town:

daysend0331.jpg

Roy

Absolutely beautiful.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love clams but haven’t used crayons since my grandsons were little. I agree with Jacqui about the quote. There are sometimes when sadness can’t be lifted just because we would like it to be.

Yesterday, the new aide, Kate, went to our club house with Sam and he used the gym. Then they went upstairs and she taught him how to play billiards. I am feeling so much better. It’s amazing what the right person can do to make a bad situation not only tolerable but better.

I am off to my book club this am.No one liked the book but we’re meeting anyway. Then I’m going to the hygienist. Busy day for me and the weather is going to reach 70.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 37

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I love watching manatees, they are such gentle, peaceful animals. Haven't had clams on the half shell, but would give them a try as I like oysters. Crayons can bring a lot of joy to all and also help educate the young.

I'll pass on the meal. Love the quote.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, like Graham I keep my phone and laptop in eye ease and dark mode to lessen the strain on my eyes. I hope some of the tips here help and that your Primary Doctor can help even more.

@cunnorl Charlene, happy birthday to your DS.

@kazu Jacqui, drive safe and please be sure to take care of yourself.

@mamaofami Carol, I'm so glad you have a great aid finally. Praying for many stress free days for you and Sam.

It seems we got the predicted rain during the night instead of today. It is still pretty gloomy and cloudy with a wind warning is the prediction for the rest of the day. Grateful for the rain we got.

Not much on the agenda today. I'm working on relearning a piano piece that I use to have memorized. (Living without a piano for 5+ years along with age has impaired the skills somewhat.) That, working on the puzzle and knitting are my plans as of this moment. 🙂

Wishing each of you a happy day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  We had quite a rain storm during the night and early morning.  Things are slowing down now as it moves along.  Be safe everyone in the path!  Cheers to manatees, and I've always loved crayons.  Coloring with the kids or grandkids was a favorite pastime.  I'm not a fan of clams.  Tamales are okay but I prefer enchildadas as well.

Thanks Rich for our Daily report.  A nice update on the Cares and Celebrations, Roy.  I said my prayers for all involved in defending and helping Ukraine, my family members, and all those needing prayers here on the Daily.  Another good wish for @irishjimas he gets his Pet scan today.  Good luck tomorrow during surgery @kplady.  So good to hear Carol @mamaofamifeeling better about the aide situation.  Sounds like Kate is a good match for Sam.  Hope you have a good day and a tolerable drive to and from the hospital today Jacqui @kazu.  I send best wishes to Tana today and hope her pneumonia is easing.  I plan on asking my siblings how Jen and Buddy are doing since I've heard nothing in a few days.  If only Buddy's many sores in his mouth from his radiation would heal I'm sure he would be relieved!  I hope Jen is keeping up her therapies.  Will let you all know if there are any reports back.

I can hardly believe it but today is the first time we have Gibraltar listed on the port of the day spreadsheet!  Seems like we had it already but nope!  Due to the types of cruises we've taken, we've stopped in Gibraltar at least 8 times.  That port has probably only been outnumbered by Rome (Civitavecchia)!  I think I'll wait and let you all post your favorite photos of Gibraltar.  Enjoy the hunt! 

• Like 26