First time on Celebrity....always cruise RCCL...tell me the differences I should expect please....

luvinmesomecruzin

3 minutes ago, luvinmesomecruzin said:

I am interested to find out what to expect on Celebrity since always cruised on RCCL.  THANK YOU.

Was that your first post?  Welcome to Cruise Critic!😀

Many of us have cruised RCCL and Celebrity both.  Can you be a bit more specific in what you want to know about and compare?  Did you book a Celebrity cruise already?  What ship?  

Ships and food are different, better food on X. Less kids and slightly older people, on X. X leaning towards all inclusive, whereas Royal nickel and dimes you. X classier. Staff friendlier. If you like lots of activities, then Royal is for you. If you like classiness, to be wined and dined, and enjoy an elegant evening, then it's X.

Don't get me wrong, we also enjoy Royal, done many cruises with them. Only one with X but doing a 10 day in Europe in May. 

These are my opinions, so let's see how hard I get slammed, lol!

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Ships and food are different, better food on X. Less kids and slightly older people, on X. X leaning towards all inclusive, whereas Royal nickel and dimes you. X classier. Staff friendlier. If you like lots of activities, then Royal is for you. If you like classiness, to be wined and dined, and enjoy an elegant evening, then it's X.

Don't get me wrong, we also enjoy Royal, done many cruises with them. Only one with X but doing a 10 day in Europe in May. 

These are my opinions, so let's see how hard I get slammed, lol!

Why would you get slammed, you are certainly allowed your own opinion.  I agree I like it because less kid friendly activities, I enjoy the age demographic on E-Class, the food and service are awesome.  Retreat and all that entails is the best.  If I had pre-teens and teens I would probably do 1 cruise every other year on RCCL

Thank you all.  I guess i should have given more detail.  Hubby and I are Diamond Plus members on RCCL.  We just got off the Anthem and decided that we would like to try Celebrity for our 25th anniversary.  We have booked 14 night transatlantic on the Reflection in Oct. 2023.  We plan to book a shorter cruise on Celebrity prior to 2023 so we know......just wanted everyones opinion.  THANK YOU.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Why would you get slammed, you are certainly allowed your own opinion.  I agree I like it because less kid friendly activities, I enjoy the age demographic on E-Class, the food and service are awesome.  Retreat and all that entails is the best.  If I had pre-teens and teens I would probably do 1 cruise every other year on RCCL

I'm used to getting slammed here when I give an honest opinion regarding one cruise line to another, lol!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, luvinmesomecruzin said:

Thank you all.  I guess i should have given more detail.  Hubby and I are Diamond Plus members on RCCL.  We just got off the Anthem and decided that we would like to try Celebrity for our 25th anniversary.  We have booked 14 night transatlantic on the Reflection in Oct. 2023.  We plan to book a shorter cruise on Celebrity prior to 2023 so we know......just wanted everyones opinion.  THANK YOU.....

That's exactly what we did, we celebrated our 30th on Equinox and now this year our 35th on Reflection. We're thinking of new Edge class for our 35th and 1/2, lol!

27 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

That's exactly what we did, we celebrated our 30th on Equinox and now this year our 35th on Reflection. We're thinking of new Edge class for our 35th and 1/2, lol!

I was supposed to have celebrated my 60th BDay on EDGE in May 2020, we all know that did not happen.  Then we were supposed to of celebrated our honeymoon on EDGE in June 2021, timing just did not feel right.  Now we will be celebrating both along with my retirement and since it is now a 3fer, we figured lets do a B3B on EDGE in Nov/Dec this year, 3rd time is a charm, we hope!   We will be in 3 different suites so have to move 2x, but no matter, we will be on a ship! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I was supposed to have celebrated my 60th BDay on EDGE in May 2020, we all know that did not happen.  Then we were supposed to of celebrated our honeymoon on EDGE in June 2021, timing just did not feel right.  Now we will be celebrating both along with my retirement and since it is now a 3fer, we figured lets do a B3B on EDGE in Nov/Dec this year, 3rd time is a charm, we hope!   We will be in 3 different suites so have to move 2x, but no matter, we will be on a ship! 

Awesome! Make it happen, lol!! Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

Getting back to the topic, you don't have to check out towels at the pool, they're on the loungers when you walk up.  They deliver beach towels to your room the night before a port day.  Way less announcements. Definitely less people on board, pre or post pandemic. 

Like most have said, just a more refined atmosphere. Love the Reflection and the "S" class ships. On Edge right now and not a huge fan but don't hate it either. 

• Like 1

Although part of the same family, each caters to a different demographic while at the same time providing an enjoyable environment for all. For your 25th anniversary Celebrity is definitely the right choice. Enjoy each other in a more adult atmosphere where it is okay to get a little mischievous should you desire. If X proves to be too laid back for your tastes, RCCL is there to liven things up when next you cruise. 

I'm thinkin' you might just get spoiled. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, luvinmesomecruzin said:

Book a suite if you can ...if not try  Specialty Dining options!

We too sailed almost exclusively Royal until 2018 when we sailed on our first Equinox cruise. This may be misinterpreted but as soon as we boarded it was like putting on the most comfortable pair of shoes you own..the ones you won't toss out because they are so comfortable. It just felt right... we have only sailed on Royal once since. And that is not to know Royal... I love the Oasis and Radiance class ships. But the service, food, length of cruise and itinerary choices just keep us going back to Celebrity. Now I do like the entertainment on Royal more, but if they have a few comedians and some good music groups performing, then I am happy.

Now if you like flow riders and zip lines etc... Celebrity will be a disappointment... but I have to admit the small number of children is kind of nice. Kids never bothered me, but the cruise takes on a more adult and a tad more sophisticated feel to it without a ton of kids.  Now when you come on board as a Diamond plus..you will get the benefits of Elite..which is the essentially the same as Diamond. You should let the Celebrity know that you are Royal Diamond Plus and get set up on Celebrity's loyalty program. Now your points are not additive to your Royal points... but you can begin to build status. Alas we have now reached Elite via our recent travels..but have a long way to go to the next level.

• Like 1

I agree with all that has been said. The food, on Celebrity, in our opinion is much better.

We have 4 children, we like kids, but when on vacation without children, we prefer not having too many children running around.

Celebrity is a quieter ship. We tend to travel by ourselves and through CC we have always met wonderful people and many have become life long friends. through CC's Roll Call we play cards, games and tour with other cruisers.

In my opinion, entertainment on Celebrity needs to be improved. different types of music and more going on at different venues is really needed.

For us, that's when having friends to get together with is huge.

On a transatlantic, be prepared for an older crowd. We love TA's. 

If I could take the entertainment that Royal has and add it to Celebrity you would have the perfect combo.

If we travel with our family we would sail Royal but otherwise we enjoy celebrity

As many others, I started cruising on Royal Caribbean.  I agree with many of the things people have mentioned. 

There is just something different about Celebrity.  It is more refined but not stuffy.  Still fun and enjoyable though.   I also don't need waterslides, flow riders or rock climbing walls to be entertained though.  Celebrity is now 'my cruise line'.    I haven't been back to Royal Caribbean since I tried Celebrity.  I sailed in higher end suites and had earned a higher loyalty status but I left that all behind.  Yes, My Captain's Club status was elevated when I switched but as others noted, your points start at 0 when earning to achieve a higher tier.  As for suite perks, the last time I sailed with Royal Caribbean was in 2014 so back then the suite perks were different from what I believe they now are.  

I always had a great time on my Royal Caribbean cruises but over the years we noticed changes and we thought it was time to try Celebrity.   ...and we haven't gone back.  

I did look once, since, at Royal Caribbean because we had earned 'free cruises' but after consideration, we decided no, we didn't even want to go back with a free cruise. 😅

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy a cruise on Royal Caribbean but I just really like Celebrity and don't see a need to change. 

Everyone is different and likes different things.   What are some things you enjoy about Royal Caribbean?   What made you want to try Celebrity?   

I think the food is better on Celebrity.  However,  Celebrity can use some help with some desserts.  Don't get me wrong, some are wonderful but some shouldn't even be served.  😉  Food is completely subjective so that you'd have to decide for yourself...along with the atmosphere, vibe, etc...

There are a couple of things I miss from Royal Caribbean but not enough to leave Celebrity to go back.  

Also note that the 3 classes of ships each have their unique aspects and then the ships within those classes have differences.

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kearney said:

We too sailed almost exclusively Royal until 2018 when we sailed on our first Equinox cruise. This may be misinterpreted but as soon as we boarded it was like putting on the most comfortable pair of shoes you own..the ones you won't toss out because they are so comfortable. It just felt right... 

Exactly how we feel! On a recent post about trying different cruise lines I used a phrase something like ‘Celebrity fitted us like a classy but comfortable pair of gloves!’.

• Like 1

Having cruised both, I think the biggest difference is in the bells and whistles.

Celebrity has no water slides, no indoor promenade, no parades, no flow rider, no ice rink, etc.  RCCL does because it caters more towards families with kids.

I think Celebrity looks and feels more upscale.  Not as visually or physically chaotic, if that makes sense.  Celebrity also has a high passenger/space ratio than RCCL.  So it should feel less crowded overall.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, luvinmesomecruzin said:

Hubby and I are Diamond Plus members on RCCL. 

We have cruised Oasis and Allure in Coastal Kitchen NOT with any status having cruised 2 lowers on the inside for 40 years on numerous ships. The last few years we have decided to 'up' our game plan to only suites with walk in showers, separate bedroom cabins, and a balcony that will accommodate lounge chairs (typically >90 sq ft) and a dedicated restaurant. Discovered that Status means more to RCCL in their Diamond and Pinnacle program passengers not traveling in suites. These guests are catered to more than suite paying non-Pinnacles. We thought booking an OS would allow us to get reservations at a set time 6pm in the Coastal Kitchen for dinner .Had to wait for a table as non suite Pinnacles were allowed suite venues as for waiting longer to be served our drinks as well. Noticed an 'air of trepidation" from staff having to service these elites right away. So perhaps you all are making a mistake switching from RCCL to any other cruise line. We instead are choosing every other cruise line.

We have been on 65 cruises but only 5 with Celebrity and 2 with RCCL.

My take on things, Celebrity is more of an upscale line with very classy ships but RCCL ships are by no means garbage scows. We really liked the smaller Rhapsody in comparison to the Freedom.

We have sailed on some beautiful ships with Celebrity going back to the classy Century and Galaxy, we have sailed on Equinox the last 2 times with Celebrity and will be on her again in June, probably one of our favorite ships along with the HAL Eurodam.

Food a little bit better with Celebrity than RCCL but not as good as in their early years. Food in the buffet on Celebrity is a lot better than RCCL with endless selections.

Cabins are much larger on Celebrity ships. The service a bit better on Celebrity but back to the Rhapsody, we had a great waiter Serge from Croatia and his assistant Emily from Manchester in England who were just outstanding. I don't remember many crew members names but I do remember those two.

I have found RCCL to nickel and dime a bit more than other lines and find their rates as high as Celebrity which is surprising and much higher than HAL and Princess. I guess they have to pay for all those huge ships they have built with all the amenities like water slides and ice skating rinks.