Celebrity Covid Policy

Cruising89143

Cruise With Confidence expired yesterday but I found the below to be interesting. Either I had totally missed it or it is newly added. Looks like this only goes through April 30th. On or after May 1st it looks as though if you or a member of your party tests positive for Covid you’re SOL or you use your travel insurance but I assume that it must cover Covid issues. I assume for those that booked before 3/31/22 they can possibly use CWC or their travel insurance. Celebrity is not stating what happens on May 1st. I understand that RCI has changed their verbiage also. Comments or anyone have a more clear answer? 

The info below is located at this link
https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

I would certainly like to see this extended. We always have travel insurance, so if positive, and unable to cruise in May, we can file that if we have to. I am particularly interested in the above quote about if testing positive during the cruise Celebrity will "cover the cost of...homebound travel". We are on b2b in May and are concerned about testing positive on next to last day of first cruise and thus being unable to take the second booked cruise. That would mess with airline reservations. 

47 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Cruise With Confidence expired yesterday but I found the below to be interesting. Either I had totally missed it or it is newly added. Looks like this only goes through April 30th. On or after May 1st it looks as though if you or a member of your party tests positive for Covid you’re SOL or you use your travel insurance but I assume that it must cover Covid issues. I assume for those that booked before 3/31/22 they can possibly use CWC or their travel insurance. Celebrity is not stating what happens on May 1st. I understand that RCI has changed their verbiage also. Comments or anyone have a more clear answer? 

The info below is located at this link
https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

If yo go further down and click on the link you will find this

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

Unless changed the fine print you lead me to think that unless your sailing is by 4/30/22 you have no Covid assistance or matter when you booked.

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

Unless changed the fine print you lead me to think that unless your sailing is by 4/30/22 you have no Covid assistance or matter when you booked.

I honestly have no idea of what the policy is. I have a call into my CVP. RCI just updated their website to now show 3/31/23. They originally had it as 2022. Not sure if Celebrity will change or update their site. Obviously RCI had the incorrect date for them to go back and change by one year.

53 minutes ago, 39august said:

I would certainly like to see this extended. We always have travel insurance, so if positive, and unable to cruise in May, we can file that if we have to. I am particularly interested in the above quote about if testing positive during the cruise Celebrity will "cover the cost of...homebound travel". We are on b2b in May and are concerned about testing positive on next to last day of first cruise and thus being unable to take the second booked cruise. That would mess with airline reservations. 

This seems to follow the Royal policy posted today. The  refund policy will be in effect until March of 2023, but any assistance for quarantine or transportation will end the last day of April of 2022.  Anyone sailing May 1 and beyond will be responsible for their own expenses, but  travel insurance will cover this up to the limits of the policy.

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

This seems to follow the Royal policy posted today. The  refund policy will be in effect until March of 2023, but any assistance for quarantine or transportation will end the last day of April of 2022.  Anyone sailing May 1 and beyond will be responsible for their own expenses, but  travel insurance will cover this up to the limits of the policy.

My CVP just sent me the below with zero explanation. Nothing for May 1st and moving forward. I have asked again for clarification on what happens in May if a person(s) in a party tests positive “prior” to a Celebrity cruise. Waiting for an answer. It sounds as though the policy may be updated to reflect May 1st and after but who knows. Not even sure Celebrity knows.

RE: [EXTERNAL] Celebrity Covid Testing Policy (only for sailings through 4/30/22)

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party

I have booked Equinox for May 6th and discovered this issue a few days ago. I also did a post about it. My research, along with my trusted TA confirm as of May 1, essentially , we are on our own.  Not sure if Celebrity will update the web site.
Due to this news, I did upgrade with additional insurance thru Tripinsurancestore.com . This company is very highly rated in CC. If you need insurance or upgrades, check the site out and ask for Steve when you call. He is truly the best broker I have ever known. 

All the best…..See you on the next tack 😁

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

If you travel insurance covers Covid.  Many policies exclude Covid.

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

If you travel insurance covers Covid.  Many policies exclude Covid.

People say that over and over, yet I don’t know what policies they are talking about. Any search on insuremytrip or squaremouth turns up dozens of choices. Maybe you are talking about something other than a comprehensive travel protection plan, maybe an annual plan of some sort with limited coverage.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

People say that over and over, yet I don’t know what policies they are talking about. Any search on insuremytrip or squaremouth turns up dozens of choices. Maybe you are talking about something other than a comprehensive travel protection plan, maybe an annual plan of some sort with limited coverage.

There are hundreds of travel insurance plans.  Every plan/policy is different.   OK so far?

Every policy has exclusions and various terms of policy limits and things they cover or exclude.  Some comprehensive policies exclude any covid related coverage.  Exactly the same as medical conditions where you have had recent treatment. 

I suggest you look at the insurance board where specific policies are discussed.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

28 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

My CVP just sent me the below with zero explanation. Nothing for May 1st and moving forward. I have asked again for clarification on what happens in May if a person(s) in a party tests positive “prior” to a Celebrity cruise. Waiting for an answer. It sounds as though the policy may be updated to reflect May 1st and after but who knows. Not even sure Celebrity knows.

RE: [EXTERNAL] Celebrity Covid Testing Policy (only for sailings through 4/30/22)

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party

Indeed this does not match the Royal policy in terms of cancellation. The other elements regarding a shortened cruise or quarantine are the same. If this statement from Celebrity stands, it seems COVID related assistance ends this month.

I purchased travel insurance today with tripinsurancestore. Had a long conversation with agent about covid. I also have coverage with the Chase Sapphire. I feel better about my trip being protected,  but if the cruise line is going to deny boarding because of covid, I think they should refund or trip credit. Tests are not 100% accurate. 

• Like 2

Maybe one day if someone is on a B2B cruise and they test positive on the first leg with mild symptoms or are asymptomatic, you would be given the option to continue on the next leg, but remain in quarantine, until you test negative an approved number of times in a row. Why quarantine in some hotel with mild symptoms for 5 days if you can remain in quarantine on the ship until you're cleared by the ship's medical staff? Just a thought ...

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

There are hundreds of travel insurance plans.  Every plan/policy is different.   OK so far?

Every policy has exclusions and various terms of policy limits and things they cover or exclude.  Some comprehensive policies exclude any covid related coverage.  Exactly the same as medical conditions where you have had recent treatment. 

I suggest you look at the insurance board where specific policies are discussed.

I’ve been there. I haven’t seen a comprehensive policy that excludes COVID. It was fairly common when the pandemic first started, but policies were rewritten to include coverage as vaccines and treatments became available. Some still require an endorsement. If there are those that exclude it entirely, I am not aware.

9 minutes ago, labdoggomom said:

I purchased travel insurance today with tripinsurancestore. Had a long conversation with agent about covid. I also have coverage with the Chase Sapphire. I feel better about my trip being protected,  but if the cruise line is going to deny boarding because of covid, I think they should refund or trip credit. Tests are not 100% accurate. 

I agree 100% that if they will continue to require negative tests to travel, at the very least they should offer FCC if you test positive within the 10 days, or whatever number makes sense.  

I’m wondering if testing is going away May 1st? I don’t see how they can deny boarding and not give some type compensation. If it’s a case of simply not having their policy up to date then shame on them. They should be better than this. Yesterday I asked my CVP when X was going to publish the health protocols for the European cruises. She stated that when they were ready they would be posted on the website. I have checked NCL, Silverseas, Virgin, Princess and HAL and all have theirs posted. 

If people booked before March 31,2022, the cruise with confidence policy goes through cruising up to September 30, 2022:

Cruise With Confidence applies to bookings made on or before March 31, 2022 for sailings up to September 30, 2022. Bookings made after March 31, 2022, will be covered with our existing Best Price Guarantee policy.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

5 minutes ago, sherylc said:

If people booked before March 31,2022, the cruise with confidence policy goes through cruising up to September 30, 2022:

Cruise With Confidence applies to bookings made on or before March 31, 2022 for sailings up to September 30, 2022. Bookings made after March 31, 2022, will be covered with our existing Best Price Guarantee policy.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

But in most cases you can only test two days before the cruise and you must use this clause 48 hours or before. If you test positive then this may not be an option. Yes, we can take the CWC if the policy does not change and we will. I would rather move it to a cruise closer to home than being stuck in a country half way around the world. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The protocols were just published in the past day or 2 for the transatlantic cruises, so I would think there will be more coming.  

Sure and they should have already been posted. The Beyond sails in three and a half weeks. X should be better. 

17 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree 100% that if they will continue to require negative tests to travel, at the very least they should offer FCC if you test positive within the 10 days, or whatever number makes sense.  

Cruise with Confidence covers sailing thru Sept 22.  Covid Assistance is  a different thing and is currently ending with sailings after 4/30.  

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Hi there.  I follow Matt's RCI unofficial blog and here's the link:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/03/30/royal-caribbeans-flexible-cancellation-program-about-end

Note:  As of the writing of this article, it applies to sailings booked by March 31, 2022 that depart by September 30, 2022.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/cruise-with-confidence

It can be confusing with all the changes and extensions...........

6 minutes ago, mutya said:

Note:  As of the writing of this article, it applies to sailings booked by March 31, 2022 that depart by September 30, 2022.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/cruise-with-confidence

It can be confusing with all the changes and extensions...........

Your post is referring to Royal Caribbean. We’re talking about Celebrity. Two separate cruise lines. 

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

I have booked Equinox for May 6th and discovered this issue a few days ago. I also did a post about it. My research, along with my trusted TA confirm as of May 1, essentially , we are on our own.  Not sure if Celebrity will update the web site.
Due to this news, I did upgrade with additional insurance thru Tripinsurancestore.com . This company is very highly rated in CC. If you need insurance or upgrades, check the site out and ask for Steve when you call. He is truly the best broker I have ever known. 

All the best…..See you on the next tack 😁

Tripinsurancestore is the website/broker for multiple insurance companies.  Which ones are best to cover a last minute COVID cancellation for cruises sailing after April 30 ?  That is the common question.

• Like 1

I think the title of the post is a bit confusing since it is the Covid Assistance program that is disappearing rather then the Cruise with Confidence program (that will be in effect for anyone already booked). Still bummed though with my cruise approaching in May. Scary times. Glad i bought travel insurance. 

• Like 1