Mask requirements on QM2

Jack E Dawson

On 4/3/2022 at 9:41 AM, Reggiefan said:

I am one who currently opposes a mask mandate, especially on a Transatlantic crossing. I have no issue with--and indeed welcome--any requirements of vaccination and proof of a negative Covid test before boarding. But I am booked on a Transatlantic crossing in 2023--I have pushed it back more than once--and will push the crossing back again if there is a mask mandate. My reasons: 

1. The appeal of a TA crossing for me is its ambience and elegance and reminder of the past. Wearing a mask undermines that appeal.

2. Requirements such as vaccination and a negative test should dramatically reduce the chances of catching Covid. 

3. Those wanting to wear a mask can wear one.

4. The protection provided by a mask seems especially small when in many settings passengers can be seated next to one another for extended periods--restaurants and bars--without wearing a mask.

5. My position does depend on the circumstances. If a new variant emerges that is highly contagious and is too often causing hospitalization, that would be totally different. In that instance, one should not be cruising regarding of the mitigation measures taken. But it seems that going forward, we may have to accept Covid as a one more health concern and get on with life.

Note my purpose is not to initiate a debate on Covid mitigation measures. But I did want to say that a mask mandate (except for medical facilities) defeats my reasons for sailing, and I will cancel or push back my sailing rather than wear a mask on board.

Thanks for your sensible post. I am presently on QM2 and the mask thing makes no sense to me.  Required to wear it walking around no where near anyone else. Not required to wear it sitting in a crowded room playing trivia with others sitting close to me. I guess covid only strikes when standing. 

"The appeal of a TA crossing for me is its ambience and elegance and reminder of the past. Wearing a mask undermines that appeal."

I found this to be exactly my experience. We are due to sail come July I hope by then no mask required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

This is quite amusing as I have no idea what sex you are - but I have you down to either gay women or hetero man now  haha.   We have a week in the USA before getting on a cruise I intend to wear a mask in all indoor settings to minimize the risk of being denied boarding. I'm genuinely curious to see how the locals react. 

Locals are not likely to care one way or the other. I can't wear a mask and Tennessee hasn't required one for ages (even then only in some municipalities ) and you see some people still wearing masks. Depending on venue I've seen up to 20% though as time goes by less and less. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Because I don't eye ball men as I do women. Here in the US where masks are seldom seen anymore, make-up is coming back strong.

Not sure where you live in the US, but around where I live (around Boston, Massachusetts), I see many people wearing masks (including me).  Being immunocompromised, I appreciate it.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, BigMac1953 said:

What do they need to do to enter NYC and then return to the ship a few hours later? I can't find anything definitive.

I'm not an expert on this, but here goes... The US still requires a test prior to entry. The only definition I've found applies to air arrivals. I assume that's because the number of passenger's arriving by sea is, by comparison, miniscule. When we did our westbound crossing in December, testing was performed on board (at a very reasonable cost) to fulfill that requirement. Since everyone must disembark in New York and clear immigration (whether disembarking or just visiting for the day), your son will be treated like everyone on board. In retrospect, we did not have to present the test results to immigration. I assume Cunard simply provided border agents a list of those who did not pass the test, thus freeing everyone else from producing their document.

Here's a link to the CDC requirement

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Edited by frankp01
To add CDC link
  • Like 1

Here are the requirements for entry by land or sea updated January 2022 https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/fact-sheet-guidance-travelers-enter-us-land-ports-entry-and-ferry-terminals

Since everyone on the cruise is required to be vaccinated this is the applicable section. 

Arrival at Land Port of Entry or Ferry Terminal

Effective January 22, 2022, inbound non-U.S. individual travelers (non-U.S. citizens who are neither U.S. nationals nor lawful permanent residents) can seek to enter the United States via a land port of entry (POE) or ferry terminal if they are fully vaccinated and have appropriate documentation.

Non-U.S. individuals traveling to the United States via land ports of entry or ferry terminals, whether for essential or non-essential reasons, must:

• verbally attest to their COVID-19 vaccination status;
  • provide proof of a CDC-approved COVID-19 vaccination, as outlined on the CDC website;
  • present a valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document, such as a valid passport, Trusted Traveler Program Card, or Enhanced Tribal Card;
  • be prepared to present any other relevant documents requested by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer during a border inspection; and
  • meet all other existing requirements for entry not related to COVID-19.

COVID-19 testing is not required for entry via a land or ferry port of entry.

16 minutes ago, cdwise said:

COVID-19 testing is not required for entry via a land or ferry port of entry.

Is the Brooklyn cruise terminal considered to be a "ferry point of entry" though that is the question. Or is it considered to be something else.

Looks like masks are making a comeback due to increasing cases onboard.

Friends of ours are on the April 17 Eastbound TA, departing in four days, and just received this email.

cunard

Important information about your voyage.

Booking reference: xxxxxxx

Dear Mrs (name deleted)

We are committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit. Our health protocols have proven effective against COVID-19 and have been developed in conjunction with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) and global medical experts.

Before you complete your check-in, we would like to inform you that we are currently managing a number of COVID-19 cases on board. Our protocols anticipate this possibility and are designed to flex and adapt to these situations.

We are operating only highly vaccinated voyages and our crew and guests are up to date with their vaccinations and receive a booster when eligible. Given the protection offered by vaccines, the individuals who have tested positive generally have either no symptoms or mild symptoms and are being managed in a specific isolation area of the ship.

Out of an abundance of caution, we are now requiring that all guests wear masks indoors – except, of course, when eating or drinking and in your own stateroom.  This is particularly important in areas where larger numbers of people are congregating indoors, and for anyone who is not fully vaccinated or has a health condition that may put them at higher risk of severe disease.

Health experts advise you use a higher-grade mask while indoors such as FFP2/KN95 or a surgical mask. Complimentary masks are provided in your stateroom. If you need additional masks, please ask your stateroom steward, or visit Guest Services. We recommend you change your mask every 3-4 days or when spoiled or difficult to breathe through.

We also encourage everyone to follow good hygienic practices that are applicable in our everyday lives.  Please remember to:

• Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, particularly before eating, and after using the restroom. Use your stateroom restroom whenever possible. Use hand sanitizers where handwashing facilities are not available. Minimize direct contact, such as handshaking, with others during your cruise.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Always cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If no tissues are immediately available, sneeze or cough into the top of your arm rather than your hands.

If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms on board, please immediately notify the Medical Staff by phoning 999. COVID-19 symptoms include:

Sore throat, congestion, runny nose, fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, extreme tiredness, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, vomiting or diarrhoea.

The Medical Staff are authorised to conduct an initial medical evaluation for anyone with COVID-19 symptoms at no cost to you. You may also be required to undergo testing for COVID-19 at any time before embarkation and during your voyage. Testing requirements may change without notice.

Protecting you and your booking
If you are currently experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, please follow current medical advice and do not travel to the airport / terminal.

Having read this notification, we encourage you to assess your individual risk factors for developing severe COVID-19 disease. If you have concerns about joining the ship and you wish to transfer, postpone or cancel your voyage on Queen Mary 2, you will be given a 100% refund on all monies paid, including on any company-booked shore experiences. Please let us know by contacting us on:
Australia: 13 24 41
Europe (exc. Germany) , Middle East, Africa and the Rest of the World: +44 (0) 2380 657064
Germany: +49 (0) 40 415 33 555
New Zealand: 0800 543 431
United Kingdom: +44(0) 344 338 8630
North America: +1 800 728-6273
Alternatively, please contact your travel agent.

Thank you for taking the time to read this advisory and we wish you a very enjoyable holiday.

Yours sincerely,

Dr K Ramsdale
Medical Director
Carnival UK

1 hour ago, cdwise said:

Here are the requirements for entry by land or sea updated January

Thanks. Not only was that more recent, but more applicable. I knew there was an agency other than the CDC involved.

Whatever the requirements, because everyone on the QM2 has to be processed by immigration, I believe the same rules apply to everyone on board, whether ending the voyage in NY or simply disembarking for the day.

Edited by frankp01

On 4/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, Windsurfboy said:

It's also about time with or without mask

2 hours spent legitimately sitting in a bar with out a mask ,  verus a 2 minute walk to toilet, then putting mask on for 2 minutes has very little effect on risk to others.

Whilst 1 hour in theatre a mask has a significant impact on the safety of  others.

Whilst there are so many legitimate  places inside where you do not need need to wear a mask this lowers the protection of mask polcy to others

This virus is very smart.

It knows that it's allowed to travel to the theater but not to the bars.

It's also trained to go asleep while you are sitting and eating or drinking, but it wakes up immediately after you get up.

So yes, those rules make perfect sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This virus is very smart.

It knows that it's allowed to travel to the theater but not to the bars.

It's also trained to go asleep while you are sitting and eating or drinking, but it wakes up immediately after you get up.

So yes, those rules make perfect sense. 

But will it wear a DJ at dinner on gala evenings?

• Haha 6

Well if masks are required I will most likely be  spending my time on board in my cabin with room service. While I don't need oxygen at sea level I cannot wear a mask Without having supplemental oxygen available and Cunard will not allow me to take my oxygen compressor on board. 

Edited by cdwise

9 minutes ago, cdwise said:

Well if masks are required I will most likely be  spending my time on board in my cabin with room service. While I don't need oxygen at sea level I cannot wear a maskwithou having supplemental oxygen and Cunard will not allow me to take my oxygen compressor on board. 

Is it too late to cancel ? It doesn't sound as if it's going to be a very pleasant experience for you.

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Is it too late to cancel ? It doesn't sound as if it's going to be a very pleasant experience for you.

I don't have a choice since it is the return home and flying is even less of an option. Besides it is 6+ weeks and who knows what the else situation will be at that time on that ship. I've already cancelled or changed six times already. 

5 hours ago, gkerlin said:

The Medical Staff are authorised to conduct an initial medical evaluation for anyone with COVID-19 symptoms at no cost to you. You may also be required to undergo testing for COVID-19 at any time before embarkation and during your voyage

So they are going to jump on anyone who coughs or sneezes?

Definitely confusing as first it says: 

What is acceptable proof of my negative Covid-19 test result?
The following formats are acceptable proofs of a negative Covid-19 test: paper negative Covid-19 test results (original only), digital or emailed Covid-19 test results; or record of Covid-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative Covid-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
  • Type of test.
  • A specimen collection date within the correct timeframe before cruise departure.
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number.
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including (and not limited to): Negative; undetectable; SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected; SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected; Covid-19 not detected; Not reactive.
  • Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

But goes on to say the test doesn't have to be medically observed for Southampton departures. 

Definition of test.

For embarks in Southampton all guests must use a private antigen self-test that meets the criteria below. For Southampton embarks this test does not need to be medically observed.

Accepted antigen tests include:

• Antigen Lateral Flow.
  • Rapid antigen test.
  • Viral antigen test.
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay.
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay.

14 minutes ago, cdwise said:

Definitely confusing as first it says: 

What is acceptable proof of my negative Covid-19 test result?
The following formats are acceptable proofs of a negative Covid-19 test: paper negative Covid-19 test results (original only), digital or emailed Covid-19 test results; or record of Covid-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative Covid-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
  • Type of test.
  • A specimen collection date within the correct timeframe before cruise departure.
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number.
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including (and not limited to): Negative; undetectable; SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected; SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected; Covid-19 not detected; Not reactive.
  • Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

But goes on to say the test doesn't have to be medically observed for Southampton departures. 

Definition of test.

For embarks in Southampton all guests must use a private antigen self-test that meets the criteria below. For Southampton embarks this test does not need to be medically observed.

Accepted antigen tests include:

• Antigen Lateral Flow.
  • Rapid antigen test.
  • Viral antigen test.
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay.
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay.

It depends how familiar you are with travel testing........

There are a large number of suppliers in UK that provide self tests, which you then scan and upload to their website. They verify that, having already taken all your identification details and provide a certificate. They don't supervise the actual test in person or by video.

Theoretically you could get someone else to take the test for you or fake the test, but should you get caught both of you could be prosecuted. Presumably that is thought to be a sufficient deterrent.

I should have said these tests all comply with the first set of requirements

Edited by D&N

1 minute ago, D&N said:

It depends how familiar you are with travel testing........

There are a large number of suppliers in UK that provide self tests, which you then scan and upload to their website. They verify that, having already taken all your identification details and provide a certificate. They don't supervise the actual test in person or by video.

Theoretically you could get someone else to take the test for you or fake the test, but should you get caught both of you could be prosecuted. Presumably that is thought to be a sufficient deterrent.

In the US every household can get at least 8 free from the government self tests like you describe but those are not accepted by the CDC for flying into the US. The cruise lines departing from the US require a medically supervised test. If you scroll down to the departing from USA or departing from Canada sections it does say the tests must be medically supervised either in person or by telemedicine/internet .

So it seems the US government issued not proctored tests are acceptable at Southampton but best to be clear if they are or we will have to find someplace to buy one in the UK. 

25 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Which other cruise lines operating out of US ports still require masks?

Once on board none that I know of but masks are still required in terminals and curing embarkation and debarkation. All require medically supervised tests to board as far as I know.

18 hours ago, cdwise said:

In the US every household can get at least 8 free from the government self tests like you describe but those are not accepted by the CDC for flying into the US. The cruise lines departing from the US require a medically supervised test. If you scroll down to the departing from USA or departing from Canada sections it does say the tests must be medically supervised either in person or by telemedicine/internet .

So it seems the US government issued not proctored tests are acceptable at Southampton but best to be clear if they are or we will have to find someplace to buy one in the UK. 

"not proctored" is not a term frequently used in UK or France so I'm not certain what record if any you get of the test result.

Unless the supplier validates the test via the internet and generates a certificate that the result was negative and includes all the details you quoted from the Cunard website in an earlier post it will not be accepted.

Test kits were being issued free until recently in UK, and we have boxes of them, which we have bought in France, but although these are the same type of test they they are not independently validated and no certificate is issued and will not be accepted at Southampton.

38 minutes ago, D&N said:

"not proctored" is not a term frequently used in UK or France so I'm not certain what record if any you get of the test result.

Unless the supplier validates the test via the internet and generates a certificate that the result was negative and includes all the details you quoted from the Cunard website in an earlier post it will not be accepted.

Test kits were being issued free until recently in UK, and we have boxes of them, which we have bought in France, but although these are the same type of test they they are not independently validated and no certificate is issued and will not be accepted at Southampton.

Which is why ifind their website confusing. If you have to have all the information in the first half what does it mean when they say government issued tests that are not medically supervised? 

2 minutes ago, cdwise said:

government issued tests that are not medically supervised? 

IMHO....

The tests that have been issued by the Government in US by the Post Office. They are government issued. And done at home - which is not medically supervised by individual applying the test.

The test issued is approved by the Government for distribution.