LIVE from the Grand Princess: RT LA to Hawaii 4/4/22 - 4/19/22

HBCcruiser

1 minute ago, HBCcruiser said:

I will let you know. My guess is that they soundproof those suites but who knows. I’m hoping to get a big group of friends to join us on this cruise so we can fully use those outside spaces! Paaahhhtay! 🥂🍾

I posed the noise question to someone who had stayed in a Sky Suite and was sharing the experience on a FB group.  They indicated that they didn't notice any noise from MUTS while inside the cabin so that's an encouraging sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HBCcruiser said:

I will let you know. My guess is that they soundproof those suites but who knows. I’m hoping to get a big group of friends to join us on this cruise so we can fully use those outside spaces! Paaahhhtay! 🥂🍾

That would be a great use of the balconies. If it were me I’d get a group to choreograph a little dance move and occasionally get out on the aft balcony when the music is blasting. Everyone would think we are the Princess Dancers. Lol. You’ll have a great time !

• Haha 2

Thanks for taking the time for all these live posts!  I just read thru all of them today; didn't realize Cruise Critic had this feature before.  My wife & I are doing back to back Panama Canal cruises on the Island Princess - Ft Lauderdale to LA leaves on 4/27, arrives in LA 5/11, then turns around and goes back to Ft Lauderdale arriving back on 5/26.  Our first cruse since 2019.  I was really curious to see what the experience is like now and your posts have helped make us feel more confident about our upcoming cruises.  My wife is immune compromised, but we both had our second booster shots recently so we figured this was as good a time as any to go for it.  We will be bringing N95 masks.

Anyway, thanks again for all your posts.  Just wonderful.

Steve & Connie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, crimlarks said:

Thanks for taking the time for all these live posts!  I just read thru all of them today; didn't realize Cruise Critic had this feature before.  My wife & I are doing back to back Panama Canal cruises on the Island Princess - Ft Lauderdale to LA leaves on 4/27, arrives in LA 5/11, then turns around and goes back to Ft Lauderdale arriving back on 5/26.  Our first cruse since 2019.  I was really curious to see what the experience is like now and your posts have helped make us feel more confident about our upcoming cruises.  My wife is immune compromised, but we both had our second booster shots recently so we figured this was as good a time as any to go for it.  We will be bringing N95 masks.

Anyway, thanks again for all your posts.  Just wonderful.

Steve & Connie

You might want to read another passenger’s version of this same cruise since your wife is immune compromised. So that way you might be prepared.   I know how you feel,  my husband has inherited asthma & is 75 & boosted.  He has a very bad cold that started 2 days after being home, but tested negative twice since we have been back.  Me, not so lucky I’m double boosted, but have come down with Covid.  Tested positive right when we got home.  This is the worst cough I’ve ever had & I feel crappy. Besides this post which I copied & pasted below, you might want to tap on my CC name & read some of the other things I said.   ::    

You might have dodged a bullet. We loved this cruise but,  This is my story about this cruise you missed: 

My version is a little less glorified.  I realize Princess  has to makeup up lots of lost money, but I didn’t really think  it would be so obvious. Also many passengers  were sailing using their FCCs that will  expire the end of this year.  I will touch on a few things. Please ask if you want more details, or specifics. No embarkation lunch in the MDR.  They said because they were short staffed.  But I thought how did they think they were going to serve dinner
   We were in Club Class dining.  There was always many dishes to order,  but most of them was NOT anywhere up to par, or what we were given  last November on the same ship. Many items were room temp that should never have been, like Lamb,  beef sticks , prime rib & many fish dishes.  Prime rib was very gristly & couldn’t be chewed.  Many were talking about it.  Over  half had to be throw out.  The Mahi-mahi was very dry & way over cooked.  The romaine lettuce in the Caesar salad sometimes tasted like it was the core, but there was no core in it, Weird. The chicken you couldn’t chew.  No chicken in the chicken salad they have @ International Cafe .  Just chopped up Apples.  

Entertainment mostly lacking, but with a few exceptions, like Carlos Oscar, British Invasion & Soul or Motown.  We didn’t go to the other production show Stardust. We already knew it wasn’t our kind of music, but was told it didn’t have any story, just singers singing different songs.   The Entertainment Director did the best he could with what he had to work with.  Most of his helpers were sweet girls, but couldn’t speak very good English & didn’t know what they were doing.  For instance, the poor girl running the golf that was continuing everyday, didn’t know anything @ all about golf. That’s what she told my DH.   The only exception was DJ Lovely, but she couldn’t do everything. I bet she wished she could.  
          I heard this cruise was on the news & rightly so.  There’s no caring or enforcing anything about Covid precautions once you are on the ship.  That’s definitely the feeling they wanted people to get.   It’s a free for all.  By the last few days you could hear passengers with that deep barking cough with lots of phlegm, sneezing,  people holding their throat like they were in pain.  I am sure the crew was glad to get rid of us.  No one would dare report they had any symptoms, who wants to go in quarantine & ruin their fun.  I’m sure about half of the 2200 passengers that disembarked in LA. had Covid or will.   My DH has a nice big cold, but is testing negative.  Me even with all precautions & double boosted has Covid & testing positive.  Never had a cough like this before.   This was a bad time for Princess to start sailing almost full on 15 day cruises with No masking.  
So if you want to get Covid or just plain don’t care if you get sick , then sail, because in my opinion there’s no way to not get it unless you stay in your cabin & not go anywhere. 

Edited by Ronnieslady
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

You might want to read another passenger’s version of this same cruise since your wife is immune compromised. So that way you might be prepared.   I know how you feel,  my husband has inherited asthma & is 75 & boosted.  He has a very bad cold that started 2 days after being home, but tested negative twice since we have been back.  Me, not so lucky I’m double boosted, but have come down with Covid.  Tested positive right when we got home.  This is the worst cough I’ve ever had & I feel crappy. Besides this post which I copied & pasted below, you might want to tap on my CC name & read some of the other things I said.   ::    

You might have dodged a bullet. We loved this cruise but,  This is my story about this cruise you missed: 

My version is a little less glorified.  I realize Princess  has to makeup up lots of lost money, but I didn’t really think  it would be so obvious. Also many passengers  were sailing using their FCCs that will  expire the end of this year.  I will touch on a few things. Please ask if you want more details, or specifics. No embarkation lunch in the MDR.  They said because they were short staffed.  But I thought how did they think they were going to serve dinner
   We were in Club Class dining.  There was always many dishes to order,  but most of them was NOT anywhere up to par, or what we were given  last November on the same ship. Many items were room temp that should never have been, like Lamb,  beef sticks , prime rib & many fish dishes.  Prime rib was very gristly & couldn’t be chewed.  Many were talking about it.  Over  half had to be throw out.  The Mahi-mahi was very dry & way over cooked.  The romaine lettuce in the Caesar salad sometimes tasted like it was the core, but there was no core in it, Weird. The chicken you couldn’t chew.  No chicken in the chicken salad they have @ International Cafe .  Just chopped up Apples.  

Entertainment mostly lacking, but with a few exceptions, like Carlos Oscar, British Invasion & Soul or Motown.  We didn’t go to the other production show Stardust. We already knew it wasn’t our kind of music, but was told it didn’t have any story, just singers singing different songs.   The Entertainment Director did the best he could with what he had to work with.  Most of his helpers were sweet girls, but couldn’t speak very good English & didn’t know what they were doing.  For instance, the poor girl running the golf that was continuing everyday, didn’t know anything @ all about golf. That’s what she told my DH.   The only exception was DJ Lovely, but she couldn’t do everything. I bet she wished she could.  
          I heard this cruise was on the news & rightly so.  There’s no caring or enforcing anything about Covid precautions once you are on the ship.  That’s definitely the feeling they wanted people to get.   It’s a free for all.  By the last few days you could hear passengers with that deep barking cough with lots of phlegm, sneezing,  people holding their throat like they were in pain.  I am sure the crew was glad to get rid of us.  No one would dare report they had any symptoms, who wants to go in quarantine & ruin their fun.  I’m sure about half of the 2200 passengers that disembarked in LA. had Covid or will.   My DH has a nice big cold, but is testing negative.  Me even with all precautions & double boosted has Covid & testing positive.  Never had a cough like this before.   This was a bad time for Princess to start sailing almost full on 15 day cruises with No masking.  
So if you want to get Covid or just plain don’t care if you get sick , then sail, because in my opinion there’s no way to not get it unless you stay in your cabin & not go anywhere. 

You keep posting this everywhere connected to the Grand April 4th sailing. I’m sorry you had a rough time, but many of us did not. We mostly enjoyed the cruise, staff, entertainment and food. It’s very subjective and why I like to do LIVE reviews. People can get one opinion/perspective of a cruise.

Not everyone got COVID on this sailing. Some of us have had it before. MANY ships, not just Princess, are reporting COVID due to the current strain being very contagious. https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-covid-status-tracker-daily-update-chart-news-and-possible-cases/?amp&fbclid=IwAR274oKnXnkxKB3sX-oifbbP_G1Utyv_8vXNALLnj6yfb-54t8U--RARLrg   COVID is here to stay. Thank goodness the variants are not as deadly as they were in the beginning. 

You have the same chance of getting sick if you fly to a resort - they just don’t test like cruising requires. IMO getting sick is a chance we take when we travel. We have always taken precautions like wiping down our suite with virus killing medical wipes, washing hands constantly, using tissues to open doors, not using the buffet, maintaining social distancing, using stairs and washy-washy…to avoid getting sick (I hate getting Noro). I agree people need to make travel decisions based on their current health conditions and be willing to take the risk.

As they say, “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”

Happy cruising!

• Like 7

17 hours ago, crimlarks said:

My wife is immune compromised, but we both had our second booster shots recently so we figured this was as good a time as any to go for it.  

Please do not cruise under the assumption that vaccines and boosters will keep you from contracting Covid.  Myself, my husband, and my sister are living proof of that.  Thankfully we have all recovered from the Covid that we contracted while on the Grand Princess last month. 

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about the bad experience some foks had, and especially coming down with Covid.  We'll likely spend a lot of time on our balcony and will wear N95 masks whenever outside of our room.  Of course eating cannot be done with a mask, so there's definitely risk there.  But we're not backing out now.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

You keep posting this everywhere connected to the Grand April 4th sailing. I’m sorry you had a rough time, but many of us did not. We mostly enjoyed the cruise, staff, entertainment and food. It’s very subjective and why I like to do LIVE reviews. People can get one opinion/perspective of a cruise.

Not everyone got COVID on this sailing. Some of us have had it before. MANY ships, not just Princess, are reporting COVID due to the current strain being very contagious. https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-covid-status-tracker-daily-update-chart-news-and-possible-cases/?amp&fbclid=IwAR274oKnXnkxKB3sX-oifbbP_G1Utyv_8vXNALLnj6yfb-54t8U--RARLrg   COVID is here to stay. Thank goodness the variants are not as deadly as they were in the beginning. 

You have the same chance of getting sick if you fly to a resort - they just don’t test like cruising requires. IMO getting sick is a chance we take when we travel. We have always taken precautions like wiping down our suite with virus killing medical wipes, washing hands constantly, using tissues to open doors, not using the buffet, maintaining social distancing, using stairs and washy-washy…to avoid getting sick (I hate getting Noro). I agree people need to make travel decisions based on their current health conditions and be willing to take the risk.

As they say, “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”

Happy cruising!

I’m sorry, but are you saying you thought the food was up to par & the entertainment. I personally loved Callie, the Entertainment Director. He must have had his hands full.   but I didn’t enjoy the real cruise Director that was out with Covid.  I guess I couldn’t help comparing this cruise with the one we took last November ,10day Grand .  That extra entree in Club Class was repeated a few times which was unexpected & ours was way off except the shrimp,  ( food shortage maybe) never in the past. The Club Class was always full then & I asked the Maitre d how are you going to handle this when the ship sails almost full.  He said I don’t know.  That was for sure honest. I appreciate that. 
Im sorry if I offended you. I didn’t mean to.  I did want to tell you , you did a wonderful job posting all those photos of the menus, food & scenery & up to the minute of what was happening .  It was 

lots of work & was appreciated by all.  Most of the crew was wonderful, but some not as friendly as normal.  But I guess these are not normal times.  
  That last paragraph you wrote  is why we chose to cruise.  Hopefully we both don’t  end up in the hospital. We are pretty sick right now.  Maybe my mask wasn’t tight enough.  My fault I don’t blame Princess, except for that crowded Explorers Lounge 50s& 60s party I wrote about.  
Thanks for all you did,

Grace 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, crimlarks said:

Sorry to hear about the bad experience some foks had, and especially coming down with Covid.  We'll likely spend a lot of time on our balcony and will wear N95 masks whenever outside of our room.  Of course eating cannot be done with a mask, so there's definitely risk there.  But we're not backing out now.  

Have a wonderful cruise, and wear your mask nice & tight.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Im sorry, but are you saying you thought the food was up to par & the entertainment

First, absolutely no offense taken at all. I’m sorry you had a not so great cruise. We also sailed on the Grand Princess in the Grand Suite back in October 23 - November 11, 2021. We ate in club class then but not on this cruise because we were with others who were not in club class. I was actually surprised that the regular dining room food was as good as it was on this cruise. Meals ranged from a 7/10 to 9/10 forks, but as I said, food is subjective and based on opinion. Food in October was a little bit better, but some meals were the same. The Caesar salad, for example,  is terrible on Princess. Royal Caribbean and NCL have much better IMO. The escargot is terrific on Princess, but not great on RCI. Personal preference.  We found that the specialty restaurants on this cruise had the same great quality as previous cruises. 

The entertainment was about the same on this cruise compared to in October/November. Some entertainers are better than others. We loved the pianists on this cruise and loved the singer/performer in October/November. I find that Princess does not have the best entertainment compared to other cruise lines. Nothing beats the skating shows on RCI. 

I'm glad you appreciated the live review. I sincerely hope your next cruise is more enjoyable. You should book one over the next 2-3 months because your COVID antibodies are strong! 

Happy cruising 😎🚢😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronnieslady said:

I’m sorry, but are you saying you thought the food was up to par & the entertainment. I personally loved Callie, the Entertainment Director. He must have had his hands full.   but I didn’t enjoy the real cruise Director that was out with Covid.  I guess I couldn’t help comparing this cruise with the one we took last November ,10day Grand .  That extra entree in Club Class was repeated a few times which was unexpected & ours was way off except the shrimp,  ( food shortage maybe) never in the past. The Club Class was always full then & I asked the Maitre d how are you going to handle this when the ship sails almost full.  He said I don’t know.  That was for sure honest. I appreciate that. 
Im sorry if I offended you. I didn’t mean to.  I did want to tell you , you did a wonderful job posting all those photos of the menus, food & scenery & up to the minute of what was happening .  It was 

lots of work & was appreciated by all.  Most of the crew was wonderful, but some not as friendly as normal.  But I guess these are not normal times.  
  That last paragraph you wrote  is why we chose to cruise.  Hopefully we both don’t  end up in the hospital. We are pretty sick right now.  Maybe my mask wasn’t tight enough.  My fault I don’t blame Princess, except for that crowded Explorers Lounge 50s& 60s party I wrote about.  
Thanks for all you did,

Grace 

The CC dining is right inside the MDR. The only difference was the entrance and the color of the orchid on the table. From what you said, it really wasn’t worth paying so much more for. We just got off the Emerald this month. 

1 minute ago, Happiest when cruising said:

The CC dining is right inside the MDR. The only difference was the entrance and the color of the orchid on the table. From what you said, it really wasn’t worth paying so much more for. We just got off the Emerald this month. 

In my opinion, Club Class IS worth all that it is made out to be.  I appreciated the smaller tables socially distanced.  The wait staff seemed to be a better ratio.  My food came out fast and hot.  No wait time for any time dining.  There were a few other positive take aways.  But everyone has their own value of services.

Kudos to Savio and Nancy (my wait staff),  Jennifer at the door.  AND Ricardo the Assistant Manager.  There were many others that also filled in as needed.  They worked seamlessly as a good team would be.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

In my opinion, Club Class IS worth all that it is made out to be.  I appreciated the smaller tables socially distanced.  The wait staff seemed to be a better ratio.  My food came out fast and hot.  No wait time for any time dining.  There were a few other positive take aways.  But everyone has their own value of services.

Kudos to Savio and Nancy (my wait staff),  Jennifer at the door.  AND Ricardo the Assistant Manager.  There were many others that also filled in as needed.  They worked seamlessly as a good team would be.  

I’m you enjoyed it. I was only pointing out that they could just increase the amount of tables for CC, should they fill up, since it isn’t a different dining room.  I did not notice any difference in the spacing of the tables. We had a set dining time for 6 pm, every day in the DaVinci MDR,  same waiters and excellent service on the Emerald. We felt well taken care of and there was no lack of attention, possibly due to the fact we had someone with us that has special dietary needs. I do understand value of service. One day, we might give it a go for CC. I agree…something for everyone, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We had Freddie & Nancy in Club Class. They were not easy to get.  If you didn’t get there @ 4:45 & get in line you most likely had  to wait unless you were Okay with one of those little tables that were very close to each other.   Were you on this cruise ?? I would have liked to have met you because I always like the info you give..  We are supposed to be on Hawaii cruise in October on the Sapphire.  Unless one of us has to go to the Hospital from this News Famous cruise we were on.  All of our friends are calling & asking if we were on the Grand with all the Covid cases.  And here I always thought the Crown was always the sick ship.  We are also scheduled for next April on the Crown to Hawaii.  I am kind of wondering if Hawaii knows about all our cases & what they think.  They might do some rethinking about letting us on their beautiful island for a while.  One of the things I hate about these Covid cruises is they never tell us what’s going on as far as the # of cases.  Or at least the ones that have been reported. I would not be surprised if it was 50% even though not that many had symptoms .
Maybe one of these days we will meet on a Hawaii cruise.  

@Ronnieslady I was on the cruise before yours (Hawaii and Sea of Cortez).  You know…the one where they removed all of the COVID protocols on March 1 (embarkation testing, 2 days after embarkation, masking, no smoking in casino, letting the crew set off in PV, etc).  At least Hawaii Safe Travels was still in place (but useless at this point).  

We will have to meet on another cruise because I probably won’t be cruising to Hawaii for a while.  Might meet you there….in October or April (haha).  

Nancy’s partner was Savio.  He left the ship when I did.  Nancy was such a darling.  Loved the team.  I was first in line @ 4:45 to be sure to be in their section (cabin mate’s preference).  On the second voyage, I was a solo and always seated between 6:15 and 6:30. I was well looked after.  I’m sure my low sodium request had something to do with quality of my meals.  Ricardo and Jennifer knew my preference. A table next to a wall, far away from anyone.  It didn’t have to be a window.  I am now spoiled.  How will I ever return to regular dining?

I was pleasantly surprised that I was not infected.  I don’t understand how those of us that take such precautions get sick or not.  I do hope each day is an improvement for you.  My next trip is by plane.  🤞✈️

Malama Pono (take care)

5 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

The CC dining is right inside the MDR. The only difference was the entrance and the color of the orchid on the table. From what you said, it really wasn’t worth paying so much more for.

The plates should also have been a different design from those used in the regular dining room. Certainly worth the extra cost for CC for this feature. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, caribill said:

The plates should also have been a different design from those used in the regular dining room. Certainly worth the extra cost for CC for this feature. 🤣

The napkins are also different. We enjoy club class and it’s now the minimum level my wife will let me book. 🙀

9 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

The napkins are also different. We enjoy club class and it’s now the minimum level my wife will let me book. 🙀

I’m glad you enjoy it. We all find value in different things. My point was that it isn’t a different dining room. I guess I couldn’t see the napkins well enough to notice a difference, although we were seated very close by. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I’m glad you enjoy it. We all find value in different things. My point was that it isn’t a different dining room. I guess I couldn’t see the napkins well enough to notice a difference, although we were seated very close by. 

My response was a bit tongue in cheek. I don’t think the napkins make a heck of a lot of difference - unless of course Princess started using cheap paper napkins in the dining room. The newer ships (the Majestic for example) do have a more defined area for Club Class than the Grand, although it’s still in one of the main dining rooms.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, 2 cruises a year said:

On 4/23/2022 at 1:06 PM, Ronnieslady said:

Are you going to seagull  every complimentary thread with this? Just curious... Since you were so miserable, is it safe to surmise that you are no longer using Princess?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

Are you going to seagull  every complimentary thread with this? Just curious... Since you were so miserable, is it safe to surmise that you are no longer using Princess?

Not sure I know what complimentary thread you me.   Yes, we will still use Princess, as I’m sure they are all having the same problems.     I am just disappointed that there was such a turn down in 4 months for the same ship.    You & I know the lines know what to expect way ahead of time . I’m bewildered by there lack of preparations. When they seem to state in writing otherwise.