Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

9 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Sandford's Prey series are my favorite!  He actually has a new series starting April 18 - The Investigator!  I'm not as fond of his Virgil Flowers series, but I do read them and my husband loves them!

I  will definitely have to get his new series.  I'm addicted to his stories and writing style and he can really keep you on the edge of your seat.  

I haven't looked at his Virgil Flower Series so will take a look.    I know what you mean about you and your husband -  there are some books I just can't get into while Iain loves them.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2022 at 9:02 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Retirement is WONDERFUL.    We were never able to take off much more than 21 days once a year while working and to be able to stake extended vacations are worth all the years of work to get here.    I hate to say how many cruises we have booked at this time. 

I, for one, cannot wait!  Just a few more years...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yikes..    I  have 115 audio books loaded -

The Top of the list I'm currently listening to are -   I have a tenancy to switch between authors.  

Karen Slaughter  - Grant County  Series  - I just started #1 Blindsighted

Chris Carter  - Robert Hunter Series  -  #2 The Executioner

Jefferson Bass -  Body Farm Series  - #5 The Bone Thief

Joe R Lansdale -  Hap & Leonard  Series - #2 Mucho Mojo

John Sandford  -  Prey Series - #13 Mortal Prey

Josh Lanyon - Secrets of Scrabble Series - #2 Secrets of Skull House

Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta Series -  just downloaded Autopsy and Livid (newest)

- Andy Brazil Series - 3 Isle of Dogs

- Win Garano  - #1 At Risk

Sara Paretsky -  V.I. Warskawski Series - #2 Deadlock

Stephen Cannell - Shane Scully Series - #2 The Viking Funeral

Hi Jim and Lain….like you I am an addicted reader my whole life. One new book really sparked my interest after a CBS interview with James Patterson and Dolly Parton, who co authored the book called Run Rose Run. Just released about young girl starting her singing career in Nashville. Sound really interesting…, especially considering Dolly Parton’ a input. BTW… she also released an album with songs about the story….Run Rose Run.    
All the best…..see you on the next tack ,!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Hi Jim and Lain….like you I am an addicted reader my whole life. One new book really sparked my interest after a CBS interview with James Patterson and Dolly Parton, who co authored the book called Run Rose Run. Just released about young girl starting her singing career in Nashville. Sound really interesting…, especially considering Dolly Parton’ a input. BTW… she also released an album with songs about the story….Run Rose Run.    

And it was the very first time that a soundtrack was ever released and coordinated with the story of the book.  Many interviews with both of them about their collaboration, really quite fascinating.  It is already being made to a movie, in which Dolly will star as the older country icon singer, being produced by Reese Wetherspoons production company.  America's Queen Dolly reigns, such a national treasure that lady is!!!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

And it was the very first time that a soundtrack was ever released and coordinated with the story of the book.  Many interviews with both of them about their collaboration, really quite fascinating.  It is already being made to a movie, in which Dolly will star as the older country icon singer, being produced by Reese Wetherspoons production company.  America's Queen Dolly reigns, such a national treasure that lady is!!!  

I couldn’t agree more about Dolly. There is a wonderful video on YouTube where Dolly went to a local bar in Ireland near Dingle one night. She was on vacation. She tried to keep a low profile, but you can figure how successful that was. The owner talked her into singing with a local guitar player for the patrons of the bar. It was really moving to watch her work her magic on the excitied small crowd. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, JeanieC,Aston said:

Looking forward to your blog.

We are on the 21st when you get to Southampton,,hopefully you may find about the testing protocols for the 21st cruise on board before we do on land.

I think Celebrity are keeping it a secret.🤐

Just released,now showing on the App,,,,,,Antigen test req at least 2 days before our cruise ex Southampton on the 21st,,,,,I expect you will get tested on board Jim.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, runningtide said:

I couldn’t agree more about Dolly. There is a wonderful video on YouTube where Dolly went to a local bar in Ireland near Dingle one night. She was on vacation. She tried to keep a low profile, but you can figure how successful that was. The owner talked her into singing with a local guitar player for the patrons of the bar. It was really moving to watch her work her magic on the excitied small crowd. 

Wait, what, are you suggesting Dolly can’t travel incognito and just blend in with a crowd?!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

Run Rose Run was very good but not a thriller like it says on the inside cover.

Laura

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We both have Kilts -  I'm a Cunningham and he is of the Johnston Clan.   We use to always bring them for Formal Night but with weight restrictions it would be difficult to travel with them now.   

I will have to share a story with you.    We were at a group table (prior to Luminae and Blu) and on Formal night were dressed in Kilts.    During the meal we noticed a flash and a table-mate had stuck her Camera beneath the table saying she always wanted to know what one wears under a Kilt.  

People are nuts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, vickykay said:

Would love to know what you have done/will do in the Azores?  Private companies, ship tours, etc.  We will be there in Oct. on the Connie TA.  
Thanks.

We have done a combination of all of the above.   We have taken ships tours and really enjoyed.   The Celebrity Tours we have done are:

Ribeira Grande & Fire Lake

Villages of Sete Cidades

We have done 3 with Tours by Locals -  Generally we ask for a tour of places that locals would do and not the tourist attractions.   

On this cruise with so much OBC I booked the Dolphin & Whale Watching.

I was thinking after my last comments on being dry during our visits.    Almost all of our trips have been on West bounds in October and November which are probably drying than May

• Like 1

3 hours ago, runningtide said:

Interesting will have to look it up.   My mother's side of the family are from Sevier and Blount County Tennessee and  and remember watching Dolly Parton on TV when I was a kid and she hadn't become famous.    She is one down to earth person and doesn't forget where she came from. 

• Like 2

Jim,

count me in as another one happy to know what I will be reading as I enjoy my first cup of coffee each morning.  I always enjoy your live threads, and to know what I have to look forward to for a month!  I am using your and other live threads to get through the next months until we board Beyond in Bayonne in October 😊

Thank you for taking the time to do this and for taking us along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gordylad said:

Jim, I'm a Cunningham. Don't know if we are related but all my uncles and aunts left Glasgow possibly 40's or 50's cant remember and moved to the USA.

I'm sure we are all related but how is the big questions.   I'm a big genealogist but my Cunningham line is a dead end wall at this point.    My 3rd Great Grandfather showed up in Bount County TN about 1800 purportedly from Gilford, NC.    There were no other Cunningham's parents or siblings.   There have been some old newspaper articles that his family were all killed in an Indian attack and he was the only survivor as a young man.  

I've done a lot of DNA and have never matched any Cunningham's in Eastern TN and NC.   Some day I may be surprised with a DNA match.

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

Run Rose Run was very good but not a thriller like it says on the inside cover.

Laura

If you are a young country girl trying to make it in Nashville, dealing with scrupulous male scoundrels (Nashville is still sadly a male dominated and controlled business)  it is a thriller.  Just ask Dolly, she said all of the stuff James Patterson wrote about, he asked her in advance of when she was coming up in the late 60's/early 70's.  

CEEDAED1-5F75-427D-BC7F-10386242EEDE.thumb.jpeg.455afceb883accac42c121fc5c3ed0ec.jpeg

Packing has begun and starting to lay out out what's going in the suitcase.      It's a start and may have to trim down depending what ends up on the bed. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

If you are a young country girl trying to make it in Nashville, dealing with scrupulous male scoundrels (Nashville is still sadly a male dominated and controlled business)  it is a thriller.  Just ask Dolly, she said all of the stuff James Patterson wrote about, he asked her in advance of when she was coming up in the late 60's/early 70's.  

True but just not the thriller I come to expect from him. But I loved the book. Definitely enough drama and real life situations to make it a great read. But I love pretty much everything he puts his name on.

Laura

• Like 1

Late to the party here, but with you guys on three trips I still feel like I've jumped in at the beginning! 

Enjoy your time as many of us live vicariously through you on our lunch hour back here at work!

• Like 2

Jim,

i have given the Retreat Manager and Host a warning that the two of you are on the way. 

Actually, Daniel will be your Retreat Manager.  He’s been trained by the young lady who was the Retreat Manager but will be departing in Lisbon, her home.  

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jim & Iain  --

We are so looking forward to not just one cruise, not just 2 cruises...

But 3... 

Yes!!!

We were not able to dock in the Azores on our WB TA in 2019...

Our son, Harrier Jet Pilot, had been their the week before w/ the military & had a fabulous time...
Hoping to make it there on another trip.

Have a fabulous time & we'll be joining virtually...

Cheers & Von Boyage - Von & John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure we are all related but how is the big questions.   I'm a big genealogist but my Cunningham line is a dead end wall at this point.    My 3rd Great Grandfather showed up in Bount County TN about 1800 purportedly from Gilford, NC.    There were no other Cunningham's parents or siblings.   There have been some old newspaper articles that his family were all killed in an Indian attack and he was the only survivor as a young man.  

I've done a lot of DNA and have never matched any Cunningham's in Eastern TN and NC.   Some day I may be surprised with a DNA match.

Jim  --  My sister was a professional Genealogist, now retired...

She still does the work - but now just for our family, her husbands' family & if something truly interesting comes along...

There may be someone out there who could assist w/ your search!