Balcony vs. Club mini-suite

KKB

Looking at a 4 day 80s cruise on the Sapphire with BFF.

A balcony is $800 each (AI)

Club Mini-suite is $975 each.

To me it's a no brainer--but what perks do Club MIni-suites?

Generally, it's: Balcony > Minisuite > Club Class Minisuite

Minisuites are bigger by... Maybe 30%?, a tub instead of shower, a second TV, sofa, and a small coffee table, but the balcony can be smaller (effectively cannibalizing maybe 8in of balcony space for the larger interior). 

Most of the Club Class perks are the same as having Elite status, plus a section of the MDR off to the side (skipping the line on a busy ship) and an extra menu option, usually seafood-based.

I don't think the CC perks are worth the extra cost (especially if you're Elite already), but the minisuite itself might be worth it, if you tend to spend a lot of time in the room.

Edit: MS room is based on the Majestic; I don't remember if the Sapphire is the same. 

Edited by Cuedon

Go for MS it has bathtub and more room.

Emerald deck is covered MS in the aft. If you can get E-728 0r E-731 they have the extended balcony.

Been in both.

For me, the Only benefit of Club Class is that it is the real Anytime Dining.  Come to your dining room whenever you want during the mealtimes and get seated promptly.  As opposed to the Dine My Wsy guests who had long lines to eat dinner.  

The longest wait I had in Club Class two weeks ago was under 5 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KKB said:

For that small price difference it would be worth it to me. 

"Most of the Club Class perks are the same as having Elite status, plus a section of the MDR off to the side (skipping the line on a busy ship) and an extra menu option, usually seafood-based."

Club Class does NOT enjoy most of the perks as Elite cruisers:

early access to new itineraries
10% discount in The Shops of Princess12
10% off shore excursions13
priority ship-to-shore water shuttle embarkation
complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting Event14
complimentary mini bar set-up15
deluxe canapé selection on formal nights
complimentary afternoon tea in stateroom
priority disembarkation
upgraded bathroom amenities
complimentary laundry services and
shoe polishing

Club Class includes:

Club Class Dining* is an exclusive dining area featuring expedited seating with no wait or
reservations required. It also features additional menu options, dedicated waitstaff and
unique-styled decor.

* Club Class Dining is available for dinner each night as well as breakfast and lunch on sea days.
Elevated Amenities & Services
Premium location mini-suites
Priority embarkation & disembarkation at beginning and end of cruise
Priority specialty dining reservations
Complimentary in-room wine set-up**
Complimentary premium evening canapés upon request
Upgraded terry shawl bathrobes

2 hours ago, KKB said:

It is a no brainer. Club Class mini suite passengers enjoy club class dining. This is anytime dining with little or no waiting exclusive for those booked in club class mini suites and full suites. The menu is the same as the other DRs except for one additional item at dinner. Service is much improved. Club Class dining is open for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days and boarding day. The dining is the main benefit for club class minis. The other benefits are not very important. Search Princess Club Class for a full list of benefits. Other than dining the mini suite is a larger cabin with a sofa. The balcony will not be covered on the Sapphire. Bathroom has a tub/shower and is a little larger than a balcony cat. cabin. If you want the club class benefits make certain you book one of the limited club class mini suites. Other mini suites do not receive the club class dining.

Balcony cat. cabin does not have a sofa. It only has a single desk chair.

Personally I'd try it for the price difference, but it is up to BFF.

Honestly, I'm in a room to sleep & shower--I want to enjoy the offerings of the ship. 

Thank you all for your input!

Edited by KKB

Uh... Of the seven listed perks of CC, one of them was explicitly stated as being distinct; with the exception of the upgraded bathrobes (which I don't remember ever receiving), the other five are the same or have near-equivalents to elite perks.

Elite perks aren't mostly the same as CC benefits, but CC benefits are mostly covered by Elite perks... Other than the potentially significant difference of Club Class dining. 

4 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

For me, the Only benefit of Club Class is that it is the real Anytime Dining.  Come to your dining room whenever you want during the mealtimes and get seated promptly.  As opposed to the Dine My Wsy guests who had long lines to eat dinner.  

The longest wait I had in Club Class two weeks ago was under 5 minutes.

Agreed!  We sailed in a club class mini on the Sky for the first time a couple of months ago.  Thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience.  I don't think we are spoiled to the point where this is the *only* type cabin we would book...but will definitely give it another shot if we have a bit of FCC burning a hole in our pockets!  (And we *should* have some coming our way shortly...)

We would chose Club Class for the dining but on some ships (at least on the Ruby) they are all located mid ship with uncovered balconies. I realize that is considered a premium location but I want at least some privacy on my balcony.  So we went with a regular mini on the emerald deck aft with fully covered balcony.  This is for B2B Alaska cruises in August.  Pre covid we got a good deal on a full suite and had the CC dining which we loved but it has to be a really good deal to do a suite again.

• 2 weeks later...

CC cabins are generally quite a bit larger(300+ sq. ft. v/s 160+- sq. ft. for a standard cabin)You dine in Club Class area of the chosen dining room. Normally it's anytime dining. The head waiter does a "special meal. I don't consider spaghetti & meatballs a special, though once  it was listed as such! Above all else you get more preferential treatment from the staff, as there is a dedicated staff group for Club Class diners.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:13 AM, KKB said:

I usually select a Club Class cabin.  A few months back I was on the Majestic and had the absolute best dining service in CC.  In June I booked another CC cabin and  look forward to the ease of walking in to dine without hassle.  One other "perk" I haven't seen listed are evening canapés.

Side note: an 80's cruise, you say? When is this sailing and from which port? 

Edited by seagunthera

14 hours ago, seagunthera said:

I usually select a Club Class cabin.  A few months back I was on the Majestic and had the absolute best dining service in CC.  In June I booked another CC cabin and  look forward to the ease of walking in to dine without hassle.  One other "perk" I haven't seen listed are evening canapés.

Oct 18 from LA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, seagunthera said:

We didn't get Canapes on our Hawaii trip in 2020. I think you need to "ask" for them. Same goes for the fresh fruit. They'll bring it to your cabin, but again you need to ask your cabin attendant.

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We recently had a Club Class mini-suite on the Sky.  It did not seem any larger that any of the other minis we've had.  We really enjoyed the CC dining...first time for that. Very nice!

They are the same size better location & the CC perks are what sets them apart.

21 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We didn't get Canapes on our Hawaii trip in 2020. I think you need to "ask" for them. Same goes for the fresh fruit. They'll bring it to your cabin, but again you need to ask your cabin attendant.

If you ask for canapés they will bring. They are not going to just give them that would be  a waste for those who don’t eat them

On 4/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, seagunthera said:

Thanks.  I can't find any description.  Are there bands playing, etc.?

Yeah, me neither.

I REALLY would rather do the RCCL 80s cruise with several actual 80s bands & a plethora of 80s themed activities but BFF balked at the price so this was our compromise.

I have had ONE person say it was pretty lame...but I'll be on a cruise so I can go with the flow!

Edited by KKB

43 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yeah, me neither.

I REALLY would rather do the RCCL 80s cruise with several actual 80s bands & a plethora of 80s themed activities but BFF balked at the price so this was our compromise.

I have had ONE person say it was pretty lame...but I'll be on a cruise so I can go with the flow!

I looked at that RCCL 80's cruise as well and the prices are outrageous!  I'm with you about just being on the cruise...I may pull the trigger!