Tipping

3 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We have been on 3 navigator cruises since restart, and never paid extra gratuity. Also booked it on Alaska cruise coming up and no extra. Maybe only some ships

That’s bizarre, the example that I used in the screenshot is from navigator and when I looked at my Alaska cruise in August on ovation it shows the same thing. Some how I’m getting cheated. 

1 hour ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

that seems extreme.. like, how does the server in the specialty restaurant know that i don't have auto-gratuity turned on? especially if we tip in cash? it's not like the receipt gets flagged in a system or anything....

I think the servers in the specialty restaurants are handled differently than the servers in the main dining room.I think the servers in the specialty restaurants are handled differently than the servers in the main dining room.

44 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I think the servers in the specialty restaurants are handled differently than the servers in the main dining room.I think the servers in the specialty restaurants are handled differently than the servers in the main dining room.

and i don't eat in the main dining room. if i did, i wouldn't blink at the auto tips. but because i only do specialty, i tip in cash...

46 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That’s bizarre, the example that I used in the screenshot is from navigator and when I looked at my Alaska cruise in August on ovation it shows the same thing. Some how I’m getting cheated. 

Strange. Just went back and looked at Alaska and Feb navigator. $24 a night and $26 a night. No gratuity added

47 minutes ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

and i don't eat in the main dining room. if i did, i wouldn't blink at the auto tips. but because i only do specialty, i tip in cash...

The auto grats is for any food service staff not in specialty dining. So unless you never eat breakfast, don't eat anything on board except specialty food on port and sea days including any late night snack, you're being served by people getting the auto grats.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

The auto grats is for any food service staff not in specialty dining. So unless you never eat breakfast, don't eat anything on board except specialty food on port and sea days including any late night snack, you're being served by people getting the auto grats.

I don't eat breakfast... lunch at specialties. I'm not stiffing anyone... the cash tips are always appreciated,  and we've been known to tip at guest relations or anyone else who we have a lot of contact with... I understand why the auto gratuities are there, but for me paying them, I'm doubling tipping in most cases ..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

I don't eat breakfast... lunch at specialties. I'm not stiffing anyone... the cash tips are always appreciated,  and we've been known to tip at guest relations or anyone else who we have a lot of contact with... I understand why the auto gratuities are there, but for me paying them, I'm doubling tipping in most cases ..

We also refuse to donate to some slush fund the company uses to pay its employees.  They are purposely vague on where it even goes.  We remove the autocrats and tip as we go.  Never a problem, in fact, service seems to get better after a day or two, kinda like tipping the bartender I guess….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I’m sure the steward appreciates the $1 tip. I hope they keep their toothbrushes in the safe

Even if is just a dollar, its probably more than they get from your donation to the company 

2 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

Even if is just a dollar, its probably more than they get from your donation to the company 

Apparently you can’t afford proper gratuities after you pay the cruise fare. Maybe you should consider camping. No tips needed 

• Like 1

I just wanted to mention that those thinking they are tipping the wait staff in specialty restaurants 18%.  That is true, but that is not a lot of money.

If a package for a 7 day cruise is $200.  The tip on that is $36.  If you take advantage of the lunches on sea days, say 3 days out of 7, and 7 dinners, your tip amounts of $3.60 per meal.

If you went out to lunch at home, or out to dinner to a nice restaurant at home, would you tip $3.60 for the meal or would you tip more?  It doesn't matter to me, because I tip what I feel is the amount I should tip, but I think many don't think it through as to how little they are tipping per meal.  This, to me, especially applies to those who remove the auto tips and feel the 18% at the specialty restaurants is a great tip. JMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I just wanted to mention that those thinking they are tipping the wait staff in specialty restaurants 18%.  That is true, but that is not a lot of money.

If a package for a 7 day cruise is $200.  The tip on that is $36.  If you take advantage of the lunches on sea days, say 3 days out of 7, and 7 dinners, your tip amounts of $3.60 per meal.

If you went out to lunch at home, or out to dinner to a nice restaurant at home, would you tip $3.60 for the meal or would you tip more?  It doesn't matter to me, because I tip what I feel is the amount I should tip, but I think many don't think it through as to how little they are tipping per meal.  This, to me, especially applies to those who remove the auto tips and feel the 18% at the specialty restaurants is a great tip. JMO.

Hi, Katie153,

I agree. I always give my room stewards $20 each on boarding day. I tip in cash main dining room, buffet and specialty dining staff based on service and attitude. Buffet staff who go out of their way to remember us and our drink preferences at breakfast especially.

Jim

18 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Apparently you can’t afford proper gratuities after you pay the cruise fare. Maybe you should consider camping. No tips needed 

How people get brainwashed into thinking its better to give the tips to the company rather than those that serve them is beyond me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

How people get brainwashed into thinking its better to give the tips to the company rather than those that serve them is beyond me. 

Didn't another thread concerning tipping that you were very prolific on just get shut down a couple of days ago?  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We buy the UDP every cruise and I have never been charged 18%.  The price I seen on the planner is the price I see and am charged for at check out.  

Have you purchased recently?   It was automatically added on our sailing last week and has been added on for future sailings thru cruise planner. 

• Thanks 1

Once again.... $75 to the steward first a 6 night cruise, $10 per meal, for 12 meals on a 6 night cruise, plus other tips throughout in case, FROM EACH OF US. On top the 18% added when we bought UDP. Please explain how that makes me cheap. I just want to make sure the money goes to people I actually come in contact with, not the servers and head waiters in main dining and Windjammer I never see...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

They are purposely vague on where it even goes.  We remove the autocrats and tip as we go. 

No they are not, they have published the breakdown and it all goes to the crew.

And as has been stated, if you remove auto grats, the individual tips are turned into the tip pool.  So you are doing nothing to change, except, most likely, tipping less than the auto grats.

And yes the crew knows.  There have been reports of lists posted in crew areas that were seen during behind the scenes tours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

Once again.... $75 to the steward first a 6 night cruise, $10 per meal, for 12 meals on a 6 night cruise, plus other tips throughout in case, FROM EACH OF US. On top the 18% added when we bought UDP. Please explain how that makes me cheap. I just want to make sure the money goes to people I actually come in contact with, not the servers and head waiters in main dining and Windjammer I never see...

Except that if you removed auto grats, those tips are turned in and go into the same tip pool as the auto grats.

Leave on the auto grats, and then tip extra, the person keeps them.

Do you also tip your cabin steward?  There are other workers beyond the dining rooms that get a portion of the tips.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cigar King said:

It's interesting how the cheapskates justify their actions.  Why not just own it?

Just as interesting as people virtue signaling about whether people tip but ok with Cruise Lines not paying a living wage. 

Why not just own the fact they are hypocrites?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1