Oosterdam Europe 2022 will sail from Trieste

VMax1700

I have been informed by HAL that this seasons sailings which are listed as sailing from Venice will instead sail from Trieste.  I have not yet received confirmation as to where check in will be located.....Venice cruise terminal or Trieste (or both).

snip of email......

The 2022 Oosterdam voyages have recently been amended to be sailing from Trieste, rather than Venice, & we are still in the process of updating our reservation systems & the website to reflect this.  We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.  Holland America Line will be providing transfers to Trieste for all guests, although pricing & times for these transfers are pending.  We hope to have these by April 11th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kirbymuxloe said:

We sail 8th may bit not had email yet. We have boarding pass stating venice check but time to be confirmed.

The email that I received was in response to an email question which I had sent to HAL UK.  I don't know if there is a 'circular' type email yet.  They will probably wait until they have all the info (after April 11th)  before they start advising pax.

New book out:  "Adriatic: A concert of civilizations".  http://www.randomhousebooks.com/books/551538/

Described as a loving tour of this entire area - Trieste played an important role, so this is not a bad substitute for the history of this entire area and the lavishness of the Venetian Empire. Venice is struggling with the heavy impacts of cruise ship tourism on top of heavy land-based tourism.

Venice sadly needs a breather, for everyone's benefit. A good substitute for being there is "Venetian Dreaming" by Paula Weidiger. A really intimate almost day by day account of someone living our her own dream of being a full time Venetian resident, even for a  short time.

I love Venice, but I worry about it too. Where is the fine line between its critical survival and being loved to death?

• Like 1

We’ll be on the Oosterdam in October on the Greek Odyssey cruise that is supposed to end with an overnight in Venice, but I wondered if this would happen because of the bans in Venice and limitations with docking at the industrial port. Thankfully, we decided to book a stay in Venice an additional two nights. We’ll stay in Trieste for the overnight and just make our way to Venice after disembarking. No point in traversing to Venice two days in a row. Now to research Trieste! Any suggestions on things to do?

On 4/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, VMax1700 said:

I have been informed by HAL that this seasons sailings which are listed as sailing from Venice will instead sail from Trieste.  I have not yet received confirmation as to where check in will be located.....Venice cruise terminal or Trieste (or both).

snip of email......

The 2022 Oosterdam voyages have recently been amended to be sailing from Trieste, rather than Venice, & we are still in the process of updating our reservation systems & the website to reflect this.  We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.  Holland America Line will be providing transfers to Trieste for all guests, although pricing & times for these transfers are pending.  We hope to have these by April 11th.

I tried to book a cruise today, Oosterdam, sailing from Trieste, Sep 4th and it was not available. The site doesn’t show any cruises for this year

My TA said HAL is changing its itineraries. I guess we will have to wait until next week

56 minutes ago, SimoneRoisman said:

I tried to book a cruise today, Oosterdam, sailing from Trieste, Sep 4th and it was not available. The site doesn’t show any cruises for this year

My TA said HAL is changing its itineraries. I guess we will have to wait until next week

I am sailing on the Oosterdam June 1 from Barcelona. Our day in Venice has been replaced by a sea day. Quite disappointed to say the least as I am unable to stay beyond the end of the cruise. I am sure other sailings will be running in to the same thing. I am fortunate in that I have been to Venice a few times but I am sure many have not. 😞

My October cruise reflects it now, as well. As I mentioned above, fortunately we had already planned to stay (and have booked) two extra nights in Venice. We’re choosing to see it as a positive, as we get to experience another Italian city, and I totally understand protecting Venice from the giant ships. It will be our first time in Italy and we are taking as much advantage as we can with an extra week of travels in Italy after the cruise, but I know how disappointing the changes must be for people who aren’t able to take the extra time and won’t get to see a city that they likely were very looking forward to experiencing. I think HAL could have made these changes sooner to prevent disappointment, but perhaps they were holding out hope that docking in Marghera would still be a viable option. 

• Like 1

Changes are bound to happen, but it’s unfortunate that we just booked our flights into Venice airport last week. Had we known we would have chosen Trieste for sure. One thing is sure, it’s going to be a great trip anyway. 🍾🚢🏆

• Like 2

Wonderful, our August 21 Oosterdam departs and returns from Venice and we have not had any notifications about changing to Trieste. I talked with HAL a couple of weeks ago and was told they would sail from the Venice Industrial port Maghera with check in at the old  cruise terminal on Venice Island and then be transported to the ship by bus in Maghera.  

If they have now changed our itinerary and departure/return ports they need to provide  FREE transfers from Venice to and from Trieste and OBC for the "inconvenience". We have both pre cruise hotels and post cruise hotels booked in Venice and our air with HAL flight ease. Why have they waited so long to make these changes?  I am so upset about this I may never cruise with HAL again.

3 hours ago, Minoushka said:

I.m wondering if it will go to Turkey …min3 had planned 2 stops there ..hmmmmno news yet 

can we go from Tieste to Venice by train ?

i.m not sure when we will be told 

Do you know how many hours you will be in Trieste - it is a 2 hour train trip with fairly frequent trains - don't know how far the Trieste station is from the dock, but certainly the Venice main station puts you right in the middle of the action. So at least four hours will be taken out of your time in port going and coming.

We have done this for other cities located a long way from the port - so it can be done. Berlin. Ho Chi Minh City,  Hanoi, Bangkok, Beijing, Hamburg.... being just some of them that required long bus or train rides to make these one -day city visits happen. Nice when they also offered overnight stops.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Wonderful, our August 21 Oosterdam departs and returns from Venice and we have not had any notifications about changing to Trieste.

Did you check your booking online? I checked mine and it shows Trieste sailing at 7:00 pm.

44 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Did you check your booking online? I checked mine and it shows Trieste sailing at 7:00 pm.

Yes of course I checked but two weeks ago it still showed Venice which is why I called to make sure. The online booking was changed this week after HAL has apparently changed ports on us.

I think it likely that Venice would still be the main airport to fly into internationally.   I would try booking a private transfer while you await Hals offerings.   Flying into Venice and transferring to the train station adds on another layer that isn’t simple or necessary. 

We very much enjoyed Trieste in the past. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

We will be in Troeste a few days before the cruise to give my son a chance to experience Venice …..i have been glad we sailed into Venice 

we will leave earlyand plan a whole day there …maybe even going to Burano 

we shall see 

Although I know it is not an optimal situation for those that have never been to Venice….  If you have been there - embrace Trieste - it is an Adriatic gem, the largest piazza in Italy over looking the sea. No better place to spend a summer night with an Aperol Spritz.

• Like 1