Help convince this cruiser that O is the way to go!

schelercamus

Dear Cruise Critic, We're interested in the 16 day Rome to Miami aboard the Riviera on December 7 2022. The O Ultimate sale makes it worth looking at.

All of our other cruising has been aboard NCL and RCL. There the equivalent NCL cruise is 1/2 of what we would pay on O.

When you add on the airfare, shore ex, and other things we'd get on O, the difference is about $2.5-3k.

We're intrigued by O, but this would be more than we've paid a cruise in our lives! We're aid workers, so this would be a stretch for us. I'd love to hear some real world folks talk about their O exp., and what makes it different than NCL. We're chill, cool folks in our early 40s.

If you like a chill relaxed, well travelled set of fellow travellers, are easy going, like good food and aren’t too fussed about being entertained, you have found a new home with O. 

If you thought that your last cruise lacked a certain something and you want to have excellent intelligent service and want to be in nice surroundings and have a lot of comfort….O is your place. 

What O does right is truly excellent crew, truly lovely surroundings and sublime food. 

If you want to be entertained on your cruise every minute, it’s not right for you. 

That’s a good starting point and I am sure others will be able to add. 

I am on Sirena at the moment and it has been truly glorious. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, schelercamus said:

Dear Cruise Critic, We're interested in the 16 day Rome to Miami aboard the Riviera on December 7 2022. The O Ultimate sale makes it worth looking at.

All of our other cruising has been aboard NCL and RCL. There the equivalent NCL cruise is 1/2 of what we would pay on O.

When you add on the airfare, shore ex, and other things we'd get on O, the difference is about $2.5-3k.

We're intrigued by O, but this would be more than we've paid a cruise in our lives! We're aid workers, so this would be a stretch for us. I'd love to hear some real world folks talk about their O exp., and what makes it different than NCL. We're chill, cool folks in our early 40s.

LOL on calling an NCL cruise “equivalent” to Oceania. Even NCL admits it’s a different experience - so much so that they created an extra cost “ship-within-a-ship” concept called the Haven, which IMO is a “wannabe” Oceania.

All you need to do is read through the various Oceania forums and you’ll convince yourself to book the cruise. BTW, find a good TA who is a top seller of Oceania cruises and, in many cases, they will share their commissions, which adds even more value to the deal.

FWIW: Years ago, we tried cruises on mass market lines and in each case, it was “one and done.”

And then we connected with a well respected TA in Seattle who interviewed us regarding travel experience, preferences, expectations etc. (right down to favorite hotels and restaurants in multiple cosmopolitan locations worldwide). She then suggested Oceania not only for what you get (e.g., top flight cuisine across every dining venue on board, superior cabin amenities from bedding to toiletries, unusual itineraries on smaller ships, a well-traveled, accomplished passenger demographic that [just like you] has worked hard for its money and know a real value/quality product, etc.) but also for what you don’t get (nickel/dimed, mediocre food, thundering herds of passengers, “prom nights,” phony art shows... Blah blah blah..... no thank you). 

We tried Oceania for the first time about a decade ago and were immediately “hooked.” 

Does the fact that we’ll do more than 100 nights across 8 Oceania segments combined into 5 long cruises over the next 12 months help convince you that “this is the way to go?”

• Like 2

maybe give Oceania a try on a short cruise & see if it works for you

The only way you will know if O is a good fit is to try it & see for yourself

If it is about the bottom line  then probably not for you

Just read some of the topics here & you will get a feel of what Oceania is all about

JMO

• Like 4

If cost alone is your yard stick  then NO... 

O is not in the same ball park because  so much of what you would pay extra on NCL  is included.. NCL has all sorts of hidden costs   No nickel dime on O  your fare is pretty much, except for booze all inclusive..    No extra charges for this or that as on NCL.   

Then there is intangible value of being on a similar size ship  with 1/4 to 1/3   the mass of humanity , crowds and kids.. 600 to 1100      not 3000 to 5000

O delivers  value and quality for the  dollar spent.   Far more than NCL     That quality cost... you get what you pay for. 

At 40   you will be among the youngest..  as O's demographic is 60+ avg.    You might find it difficult to  find other you age. to interact with     Entertainment is dinning and conversation ....you bring your own in short..

Are you ready for that?        Only you can make  that decision    You have to convince you.     All of us already crossed that bridge...

Good luck

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 4

What did you like about RCCL and NCL?  What did you not like about RCCL and NCL?  This might give us an idea if you are a fit for Oceania.  A transatlantic in December will probably require you to spend most of your time below deck or in your cabin (nor in your balcony).  Even as an Oceania fan, I would be leery of spending so many sea days below deck.

• Like 2

We just made the 2021 RivieraTA in November when Riviera returned to sailing. We had some friends join us on their first Oceania cruise as they were Princess and HAL cruisers. They are now booked on Marina Buenos Aires to Santiago 1/23, Vista Miami to LA 10/23, Riviera 11/23 Barcelona to Dubai. 
Grab your reservation for the TA, and don’t let the opportunity get away because the most desireable staterooms disappear.  We had an outstanding trip even though Covid, Politics and Mother Nature modified our port calls. Again, Do Not let this opportunity get away, pick a stateroom level that fits your budget and prepare to be Wowed! The benefits of Oceania are available to everyone on board so just keep reading the Oceania Board postings. You will never go back to the mass market lines, “Small Ships Forever”.

You will become a member of a new family, the Oceania family, which includes guests and staff. What is the old line, “Try it, you’ll like it”!
Ciao, Mauibabes

• Like 4

Don't take the comment about poor entertainment literally.  As long as the entertainers stay Covid-free, there will be production shows or guest artists in the main lounge each night.  The quality of these entertainers is very high.  There will also be other musicians around the ship at different times of day.

But there isn't loud music constantly, or hairy-leg contests, or roller coasters.  It's a much more adult-oriented ambience, so in that respect I agree that you make your own entertainment.

• Like 5

We started sailing with Oceania in 2003 when they were new. We were in our mid and late 30’s, fell in love with the line immediately.  For us, at that time, being the youngest passengers  on the ship made zero difference. We made friends that we have sailed with in the interim, and are still in contact with almost 20 years later.  We will have the pleasure of sailing with several of them again in just a few weeks. 

For my husband and myself  cruising has always been about relaxation and unwinding.   Oceania allows us to do just that, while taking exceptional care of us on all levels. 

• Like 2

I am reminded of one of our first cruises on Renaissance, when we had dinner with a couple in their mid- to late-30s.  At the time we were about 10 years older than they were, but the average passenger was closer to 70.  I asked them (since they were so much younger than most of the passengers) if they had  a problem, but they did not.  They were having a wonderful time and loved meeting everyone.

They did say that they had some second thoughts when boarding the ship and saw a number of wheel chairs being taken on board ...

Mura

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

If cost alone is your yard stick  then NO... 

O is not in the same ball park because  so much of what you would pay extra on NCL  is included.. NCL has all sorts of hidden costs   No nickel dime on O  your fare is pretty much, except for booze all inclusive..    No extra charges for this or that as on NCL.   

Then there is intangible value of being on a similar size ship  with 1/4 to 1/3   the mass of humanity , crowds and kids.. 600 to 1100      not 3000 to 5000

O delivers  value and quality for the  dollar spent.   Far more than NCL     That quality cost... you get what you pay for. 

At 40   you will be among the youngest..  as O's demographic is 60+ avg.    You might find it difficult to  find other you age. to interact with     Entertainment is dinning and conversation ....you bring your own in short..

Are you ready for that?        Only you can make  that decision    You have to convince you.     All of us already crossed that bridge...

Good luck

If you do one of the many 10-18 day Med cruises that have college alumni groups (O is their favorite), that average age drops by 10-15 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

A transatlantic in December will probably require you to spend most of your time below deck or in your cabin (nor in your balcony).  Even as an Oceania fan, I would be leery of spending so many sea days below deck.

Disagree. I was on Riviera’s 17 NOV 2021 TA (hi Mauibabies!) and the weather was fine. It rained in Rome the day before we sailed, but I only remember good weather during the crossing….maybe a few sprinkles…
Admittedly the weather can be variable at that time of year. So, the weather could be good, or not…….

I really enjoyed meeting everyone on board the ship. I was traveling solo (my first solo cruise) and everyone was so friendly! No one cares whether you’re in a big suite or in an inside cabin. Yes, there are some perks associated w those expensive accommodations, but the pax aren’t snobs.  They don’t care if you’re “only” in an inside cabin. You’re on the ship!

You’ll enjoy your cruise!

• Like 9

Thanks, everyone, for your experiences and feedback.

Our previous 6 cruises have all been longer cruises to the Caribbean. We like the Caribbean in December and January because of the warmth (!!), the sun is the boost we need to get through the rest of a East Coast winter, the price is right, it tends to be less crowded, and our schedules are flexible.

We have sailed in the Haven on the NCL Breakaway and loved it! We met a family there that we're still friends with~ it's the community, the service, the attention to detail. Then, NCL changed their upgrade structure, the demand for the Haven went way up, and now it's a door we walk past on the way out to pool deck.

We like the laid backness of NCL, the "included" beverage package.

Our last cruise was on RCL Anthem of the Seas in December 2021. 13 nights out of Bayonne. Passenger count was lower due to COVID, and it too, was a fantastic cruise. We bought the drink and unlimited dining package on a Black Friday sale. We met 2 great couples during trivia. We actually only got off the ship once. The solarium was our happy place.

How we tend to spend our time--. listening to music in the lounges,  playing cards and board games, hanging out on our balcony listening to the ocean, getting to know the staff by name and doing magic tricks for them, relaxing without a frenetic agenda, and enjoying food.

What we put up with-- A Lot of what you all have already mentioned.

On last year‘s transatlantic cruise on Riviera, there were 10 sea days. I played bridge all day on nine out of 10 sea days. Bridge lessons were provided by instructors in the morning. There were lessons targeted to beginners and also to intermediate players. In the afternoon, there was duplicate bridge. The venue is one of the specialty restaurants, and it is a wonderful, very comfortable layout. So much fun, and I met some very nice people. I had such a blast. I will say that I thought the bridge instructors were terrible. I made that notation on my comment card. But that didn’t stop me from having a blast!

there is also a very nice game room with about four tables that are a nice size for games and puzzles. The library is wonderful. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, schelercamus said:

Will a December TA be cold and windy? We usually get a balcony because we love the warmth and ocean right outside our door.

A December TA might be pushing it.  I just got off a late March TA on Riviera.  Able to use the balcony for the first week.  A bit too chilly to use it much of the day for the second half of the cruise.  Your mileage may vary with the weather.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, schelercamus said:

...We're interested in the 16 day Rome to Miami aboard the Riviera on December 7 2022. The O Ultimate sale makes it worth looking at. ...

Just curious if you had considered the 15-day voyage on Marina (Riviera's sister) on Nov 19, leaving 3 weeks earlier. Also transatlantic, but from Barcelona to Miami. A bit less expensive.

17 hours ago, schelercamus said:

... The O Ultimate sale makes it worth looking at. All of our other cruising has been aboard NCL and RCL. There the equivalent NCL cruise is 1/2 of what we would pay on O. When you add on the airfare, shore ex, and other things we'd get on O, the difference is about $2.5-3k. ...

As for pricing and sticker shock, you are right to concentrate on sales, as looking carefully can really bring some value. The Presidents' Day Sale 2021 got us our 10-day W. Caribbean cruise on Riviera 12/13-23/21 in an A4 Concierge Veranda for $2099 PP. The current O internet-listed price for the identical cruise and A4 room on Riviera departing 2/10/23 is $3899 PP.

TOXM: We see from your posting that you are on the Sirena. We will be doing it May 6. We are very happy to know that Dottie is the Cruise Director. Could you tell us who the Ambassador is? Thank you. Hope you're getting lots of Red Ginger and Tuscan Steak happy meals!

What about  a Panama canal trip

lots of sun to enjoy the balcony  many sea days to enjoy the ship & it's offerings

No special dining room for top suite pax like in the Haven

3 hours ago, schelercamus said:

Thanks, everyone, for your experiences and feedback.

Our previous 6 cruises have all been longer cruises to the Caribbean. We like the Caribbean in December and January because of the warmth (!!), the sun is the boost we need to get through the rest of a East Coast winter, the price is right, it tends to be less crowded, and our schedules are flexible.....

Time to try something different?

Check out the O itineraries to far more interesting places than the Caribbean. Need islands? Head to Polynesia or even the Maldives. Otherwise, how about OZ/NZ? In the early part of the year, we like SYD or AKL to any California port or even only as far as PPT where we’ll stay for a land add-on. Ask any yacht sailor which they prefer: The Soggy Dollar on Jost van Dyke or Bloody Mary’s on Bora Bora? (Though I must admit that the Bitter End Yacht Club [in the old days before it needed to rebuild post hurricane] in the BVIs was the favorite spot for “yachties.”

One of our favorite “winter” trips was Rio to Lima around the Horn. And any cruise from Cape Town (headed northeast or east) would be a delight.