Bar etiquette at CocoCay

When I was young...a very long time ago, I worked in a bar. Bar employees normally gauge "seat" ownership by if you have a drink in front of you. If you are just sitting with no drink you are asked to move. Just a thought.

Oh, I should also add, our bar tender would have wanted a new drink ordered, or a mostly newish full one at your spot prior to using the restroom. Otherwise the spot gets cleaned and cleared for others. And if it was a super busy night the bartenders would make sure they couldn't hear you ask to save the seat if there wasn't a new drink ordered. If you did want to order a new drink  they would hear that just fine.

But most bar tenders have a method to try and make stools available to people who are actively giving the bar money. I understand a cruise ships private island bar is very different. But even if the bar tender seems to be unaware of what is happening, in most cases they know what is going on at every stool at the bar. 

• Like 5

On 4/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, smokeybandit said:

Those same people probably have pool chairs "reserved" on board ship while they're at CocoCay, too

And got them by putting a towel and a book on the lounger at 5am in the morning 😤😡

On 4/8/2022 at 6:33 PM, coaster said:

Just wish security was closer by. It was ugly and I was glad to leave this situation as soon as possible. Glad this guy was on another ship where I never got to see him again.

Next time put your feet up on the other chair and don’t move until she comes back. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, steveru621 said:

It's hard to know this situation.  All I can say is this is a pet peeve.

At bars and airport gates, patrons/passengers insist their luggage/purses deserve its own seat.  Drives me nuts.

I have seen that a lot.  Usually rectified by saying…”I see no one’s sitting there!” After hovering around the seat with luggage/purses/etc for a bit.  If someone’s gone for a little while, the seat becomes “open”.

Chair hogs…..remove said towels/books, and hand them to the pool attendant stating “someone lost these”.

If anyone comes by to claim the seats, expressly state the seats were open when you got there (which is true).

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 8:45 PM, coaster said:

Folks peeing in the sea or ocean is not a factor to me. Large amount of water. Sorry... Folks peeing in the pool at CocoCay so they keep their stool at the bar concerns me.

Pool is larger than the hot tubs on board. 😄 😄

wow.  I have only been to CoCo Cay once, and that was in June 21 when cruising first started back up.  We were on Adventure out of Bahamas, we were the only ship at CoCo Cay and only had 1050 people onboard.  There were empty seats all day at the pool bar.  guess I will be in for a rude awakening in July this year when we go back.

Can't imaging 2 full Oasis class ships at CoCo Cay at the same time.  

On 4/8/2022 at 8:22 PM, poocher said:

From what I saw of the swim up bar, it was like MTV Spring Break.  
A.  I’d never hang out in the middle of that.

B.  I would not expect reasonable behavior out of anyone there so……

C.  I’d never hang out in the middle of that!!!

This^^^

59 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Wow!! This thread is kind of crazy.  It makes me glad we visited Coco Cay on the Enchantment a couple of weeks ago.  This was a picture I took around noon that day.  There were plenty of seats.  YMMV

8E76B52F-0DE9-4962-9176-F292A74BCAA8.thumb.jpg.f2dc30559eae05a3e7ec6a1f95027825.jpg

Only one ship visiting with ~1700 passengers definitely is better than two 70% full Oasis class ships. 🙂