Is the MDR Breakfast and Lunch Menu same everyday on 7 night cruise?

zhuangcorp

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL board!  The MDR breakfast menu is the same every day.  Don't know about lunch.  Lido buffet has some items the same daily but also some change daily.  The daily offerings will be listed on the App as well as be posted on a board in the Lido/MDR.  

Some examples here from excellent post by zgscl :

Have a look here for examples courtesy of Roger Jett:

Lido and MDR Menus and Layout | Roger Jett Photography (rogerjett-photography.com)

Have a great time!

~Nancy

• Like 1

As a collector of HAL menus over the years, I can report that 2021 brought some changes to HAL dining.  Here is a summary of what is current:

Lido Market:

• Breakfast same every day.
  • Lunch entrees and Asia station changes every day.
  • Dinner same entrees as MDR with additional items.
  • Late snack 7-day menu rotation.

MDR

• Breakfast same  every day.
  • Lunch same every day.
  • Dinner changes every day.  Same menu rotation on all ships for same season and same number of duration days. 

Club Orange

• Breakfast same every day.
  • Dinner same as MDR plus one additional entree choice.

If someone posts the menus for early season cruises, you will know what is available for your cruise during the rest of the season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The lunch menu in the mdr is the same for all the days it is open.  I’ve found Hal’s breakfast menu to be very extensive.  

Breakfast in the Pinnacle restaurant offered to Neptune Suite guests (in the past) was the same menu as the main dining room as well - but agree, it is so extensive there is plenty to choose for variety on a seven day cruise, including international breakfast items to explore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Thanks for the responses! My cruise is December 3rd on Koningsdam. Is that part of the same current season? Or will the menu change again before that cruise begins?

No.  Menus for the 2022/2023 Caribbean season are not yet available as that season will not start until late October.

• Like 1

From what I observed on a 13-day Panama Canal cruise, MDR breakfast and lunch menus stayed the same.  There is plenty of variety, and I was able to vary my selections so that it never seemed to be "boring."  I did find that I went to a few specific items most of the time as I really enjoyed them and it was something I wouldn't do at home, or couldn't get in a restaurant in my local area.  Menus are available in the Navigator app!

• Like 1

Multiple 2000 plus meals times three, every single day,  working in cramped and rocking facilities, using food stuffs delivered only every few weeks,  and get ready to do the same thing over and over again every 24 hours - the face of food service on any large passenger ship.

It constantly amazes me it works as well as it does. Plus running  these tight facilities, subject to the CDC-VSP excrucriatingly detailed inspections that can happen randomly at any time.  

That said, I am still mad CDC ended HAL's long tradition offering the best freshly made and baked bread on the high seas after they were forced into using only frozen pre-made bread dough due to the difficulties cleaning the former on board bread making equipment. 

And that is just for the passenger meals - add in crew and staff meals too who operate on their own 24 hour work schedules.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

That said, I am still mad CDC ended HAL's long tradition offering the best freshly made and baked bread on the high seas after they were forced into using only frozen pre-made bread dough due to the difficulties cleaning the former on board bread making equipment.

Do you have any documentation about the lack of freshly baked bread, when did that happen?  On the Eurodam last month there was a talk with the head of food services that said that they make all the bread on board except for the chocolate crossoints. 

Regardless, I find their bread to be some of the best.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

Do you have any documentation about the lack of freshly baked bread, when did that happen?  On the Eurodam last month there was a talk with the head of food services that said that they make all the bread on board except for the chocolate crossoints. 

Regardless, I find their bread to be some of the best.

Distinction here between freshly baked bread, and freshly made bread dough (mixed, kneaded, shaped and allowed to slowly rise- twice) This report of a  switch in process was posted here number of years ago.

Many also noticed the change in taste, texture and variety a number of years ago, so this explanation made sense when reported (by a disgruntled former culinary staffer, as I recall in the  "HAL breads are boring" thread). We leapt up in defense of HAL's prior fresh bread excellence, but over time many also did notice there had in fact been changes in the variety and quality. However, even if in fact pre-made frozen dough is used today, the fresh baking remains a welcome onboard treat. 

The explanation offered was it was impossible to clean the bread-making (not baking) equipment to the new CDC standards.  Lots of changes happening around the same time - no more outdoor deck buffets was another major change. Again, CDC lack of hand washing facilities within the required distance for the food handlers. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Any dishes specific to this cruise that you recommend?

Not specific to this cruise, but, the MDR Breakfast Menu always has Swedish Pancakes listed with Lingonberry Sauce.  Delicious!  

As other posters have said, the MDR Breakfast Menu is static.  Once upon a time, a "special" would be offered each morning.  MDR lunch menus that I have seen have varied from day to day.  

• Like 1

I’ve seen the idea of a special being brought up here.  I remember the days when they did have them.  I struggle  to think of something that I’d want them to have and nothing comes to mind.  I believe Princess has a breakfast special but their menu is so poor (to my taste) they need a special.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I believe Princess has a breakfast special but their menu is so poor (to my taste) they need a special.

2019, Coral Princess, Whittier to Vancouver, yes, there were daily breakfast specials.  One item that the Princess Breakfast menu offers regularly are their Baked or Stewed Apples.  Love them!  

1 hour ago, zhuangcorp said:

What is the Pannenkoek Dutch pancake? It sounds more like a dessert than a breakfast item?

My sister recently ordered it on the Rotterdam for lunch and I had a piece of it.  It was very disappointing.  It contained undercooked bacon.  Hardly a dessert.

8 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Thanks for the responses! My cruise is December 3rd on Koningsdam. Is that part of the same current season? Or will the menu change again before that cruise begins?

Very cool! We are on that sailing as well. Our 2nd HAL cruise.  Enjoyed our first one in 2010.

18 hours ago, DENIE said:

Very cool! We are on that sailing as well. Our 2nd HAL cruise.  Enjoyed our first one in 2010.

Ha! I thought I might be the only person on the planet that booked a cruise 8 months in advance. 

Good to know. 

But now I can't concentrate on my daily life because I keep thinking about the cruise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

I thought I might be the only person on the planet that booked a cruise 8 months in advance. 

Good to know. 

There are many of us that book cruises that we do take many more months than 8 months in advance!  Anticipation of what is to come is part of the enjoyment of a cruise experience.  

• Like 3