Clothing for Glacier Southbound Cruise Alaska

MudderBear

OK.  So for the time period around the end of May or beginning of June, how cold is it normally?  I usually wear yoga pants long and short.  I live in the south and freeze on days it is under 60 degrees.  What should I pack for just even being on the ship during the day?  I am a golfer so I have heavy yoga pants to wear during the winter months.  Will they be too warm?  Also brining a down jacket for Glacier Bay and Hubbard Bay deck viewing.  

Your thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Late May, early June can still be quite cold. Especially when you add wind factor because the ship is moving. The added wind can make it feel a LOT colder. Sweatshirts and a water proof/resistant windbreaker would be the minimum. I think yoga pants will not be warm enough if you plan to be outside for glacier viewing.

When we embark close to home I bring a warm winter jacket to wear on deck. A beanie and hand warmers for your pockets don't take up much luggage space too.

On the other hand, I have done this cruise in late June, early July and was worried about sun burn because it was so hot while viewing Glacier Bay.

The interior of the ship is kept at a nice temperature. I usually bring a light sweater to have during the day as sometimes I find it a little cool. My husband, on the other hand, is always comfortable.

Always check the predicted weather in your ports right before you leave home.

• Like 1

We have been to Glacier Bay in June twice and in September once. The first time it was gorgeous and mild. The second two times, June and September, cloudy and drizzly. I would pack layers, and a hat for sure. Gloves if you get cool easily. 

We have been to Glacier Bay many times. We've had excellent weather and we've had nasty weather. Be prepared for the worse and hope for the best. Layers are the best way to go. We live in the Pacific Northwest so we wear what we'd wear in October or November. Blue jeans, shirt and a jacket, I normally wear a 3 season jacket when we are in Glacier Bay, socking hat and gloves. Your on a ship, if you get cold go inside and warm up. We always have to laugh at some the things we see people wearing on Glacier Bay day.

Alaska 2013 128.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

We have been to Glacier Bay many times. We've had excellent weather and we've had nasty weather. Be prepared for the worse and hope for the best. Layers are the best way to go. We live in the Pacific Northwest so we wear what we'd wear in October or November. Blue jeans, shirt and a jacket, I normally wear a 3 season jacket when we are in Glacier Bay, socking hat and gloves. Your on a ship, if you get cold go inside and warm up. We always have to laugh at some the things we see people wearing on Glacier Bay day.

Alaska 2013 128.JPG

Is that snow on the deck?  We were on the last Celebrity Alaska cruise late Sept thru very early Oct and we had very heavy frost, similar to black ice on our glacier day (morning).  A number of folks slipped and fell because they were totally unaware.

The general rule of thumb for Alaska is LAYERS and VARIETY- along with water repellent jackets, warm/ down jackets, sweatshirts, hats, warm pants, jeans, shorts, T shirts, and swimsuits! Not kidding...

We have cruised Alaska 4 times and have experienced any kind of weather you can imagine. Typically, glacier day was very cold with sun one time and clouds another(Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay).

We enjoyed our swim suits when leaving Ketchikan in 75 degree weather!in

So there really is no strict guideline as you need to be able to prepare for anything. And we are also from the Northwest where we are feeling great with shorts in 60 degrees.

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Is that snow on the deck?  We were on the last Celebrity Alaska cruise late Sept thru very early Oct and we had very heavy frost, similar to black ice on our glacier day (morning).  A number of folks slipped and fell because they were totally unaware.

Nope, it was about 68 degrees that day in Glacier Bay. I've never seen any heavy frost up in Glacier Bay, last year it was miserable up in Glacier Bay, 40 degrees, heavy fog and misty rain, the kind of rain that soaks you right to the bone. We've seen just about every type of cold weather gear you can think of on our cruises to Alaska, we think it's rather entertaining to watch some of these people, they seem to think they  are going to the arctic, snowmobile suits, heavy snow boots, your on a cruise ship if you get cold go inside and warm up.

It'll get real crowded up on the open decks. We like to roam around to get different views.