Covid test - Antigen or PCR

WESTEAST

In preparing for an upcoming cruise and reading through the SailSafe information as well as Travel & Entry Requirements currently posted online, we are wondering what type of test most cruisers have taken e.g., Antigen or PCR for embarking?

The SailSafe page, ADDITIONAL PRE-EMBARKATION HEALTH SCREENING states that "...... Oceania strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test...... If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to, at a minimum, take a laboratory-administered COVID-19 antigen test........" Source: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health 

The  wording of strongly recommends a PCR  is probably stated as it is viewed as the gold standard in testing yet, they accept Antigen.  Has anyone encountered problems with embarking with an Antigen (lab-administered) test result in a country that doesn't require a PCR test?  In our case, we are embarking in the USA.  We need a test to enter the USA by plane from Canada as well. Thanks very much.

Edited by WESTEAST

3 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

In preparing for an upcoming cruise and reading through the SailSafe information as well as Travel & Entry Requirements currently posted online, we are wondering what type of test most cruisers have taken e.g., Antigen or PCR for embarking?

The SailSafe page, ADDITIONAL PRE-EMBARKATION HEALTH SCREENING states that "...... Oceania strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test...... If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to, at a minimum, take a laboratory-administered COVID-19 antigen test........" Source: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health 

The  wording of strongly recommends a PCR  is probably stated as it is viewed as the gold standard in testing yet, they accept Antigen.  Has anyone encountered problems with embarking with an Antigen (lab-administered) test result in a country that doesn't require a PCR test?  In our case, we will embarking in the USA.  We need a test to enter the USA by plane from Canada as well. Thanks very much.

It's difficult at best...in some areas next to impossible...to get PCR test results back within the time frame permitted under the rules. You have to take the test no more than two days prior to embarkation for US cruises and for most that will mean you have to take an antigen test. For many that will mean taking a proctored antigen test such as the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Home Test sold by emed.com and other sources from their home or hotel as even finding places that administer antigen tests can be difficult in many areas of the US.

• Thanks 1

Antigen is the fastest, cheapest and easiest solution. On the cruise we just finished on Marina out of Miami, we knew we were negative by taking a home non-proctored test before we left home and then to stay within the 24 hour window, since we flew into Miami a day early, we took the antigen test offered at the Miami airport. It was reasonably priced and so fast that we got it and our results before our bags got on to the belt.

Before flying home from Italy we got our antigen tests in a local drug store in 15 minutes for $20 a day before our flights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have been using that language for a while.  The bottom line is that there is no benefit to you from taking a PCR test, since even an Antigen test gives you the full benefit of Oceania's promise to take care of you if you test positive at the pier.  And there are many good reasons NOT to take a PCR test, including that if you had Covid [even a mild case with no symptoms, so you didn't know] you will continue to test positive on PCR for quite a while; as well as the delay in getting results and the extra cost [if you're paying] – we always sign up with CVS for a free Antigen test within the time frame du jour.  We also carry the Binax proctored home Antigen test kits, which you can use anywhere with an internet connection and get certified results emailed within minutes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HiFi43 said:

within the 24 hour window,

Confused by your mention of 24 hour window as the SailSafe document says 48 hours prior.

‘Bruce is that the NOMI health lab that you used at Miami airport? Do you recall the price?

This is all so confusing.  Trying to study what is necessary for our 6/15/2022-6/25/2022 Rome-Barcelona cruise on Riviera.  We are all vax'd, boosted (and 2nd booster in next month), and also recovered from a very mild case of Covid in January. I've gone out to the Sherpa site often referenced, but it is still confusing to us.  Our issue is that we are leaving on the 6/12 for Rome, so sounds like we need a negative test done in Rome - guessing the Binax proctored test might be our best bet.  Still trying to figure out what we need to (if anything) for our stops in Sicely, Malta, Monaco, France, and ultimately Spain.  Will be spending lots of time researching....  But, so eager to get back to traveling!

10 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Still trying to figure out what we need to (if anything) for our stops in Sicily, Malta, Monaco, France, and ultimately Spain.

This shouldn't be your problem – the ship will take care of intermediate stops and disembarkation.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Still trying to figure out what we need to (if anything) for our stops in Sicely, Malta, Monaco, France, and ultimately Spain.  Will be spending lots of time researching....  But, so eager to get back to traveling!

O will send you an email prior to your cruise w detailed information w requirements for each destination. In the meantime, keep researching so you’re not completely surprised by what the expectations are when you travel. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

O will send you an email prior to your cruise w detailed information w requirements for each destination. In the meantime, keep researching so you’re not completely surprised by what the expectations are when you travel. 

Thanks PhD-iva!  That puts my mind at some ease.  Yes, I certainly do plan to keep researching, especially with things changing all the time.  But reassuring to know that we will get an email from O about requirements.  🙂

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This shouldn't be your problem – the ship will take care of intermediate stops and disembarkation.

Thanks Jazzbeau!  That is great to know!  🙂  Always appreciate your comments!

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just boarded Nautica in Barcelona NO!! Test done on the pier before boarding the ship and no proof of antigen test asked for .all we needed was proof of being fully vaccinated ??? All I have read over the last few weeks and even Oceania,'s blurb did not happen ??? 

• Thanks 1

Regarding tests that Oceania does while onboard:

I got off Riviera in Barcelona last week.  They offered testing the day *before* we got to port.  Problem was that I needed a one day test since I was staying an extra night in Barcelona. 

I got off the ship and found a test in Barcelona.

But, I later learned that Oceania made tests available at 6:30 am on the day we got to Barcelona.

If I had known that, I would have saved a few hours trying to find a test.  So, if you are in this situation, ASK if they can make a test available on the day you get to port.

• Thanks 1

Robjame, , you asked about Antigen testing in the Miami airport. It is NOMI Health Lab and it is on concourse H just as you exit security after your flight one level up from baggage. It cost us $79 and was very efficient. We had to use it because we we made a stop to visit family during our multi-day trip to Miami and you are correct it was a 2 day window for antigen testing but with our stopover on the way to Miami we were going to be outside that window. 

Let me also clarify about testing before we flew home from Italy on our recently concluded cruise. We stayed in Florence for a number of days after our cruise concluded in Rome. If we had not done this and were just flying right home we could have just used the free antigen test given on the Marina the day before disembarking. In fact the Marina even gave free tests early morning on disembarkation day to those staying an extra day in Rome before flying home.

Our antigen test for returning home was done in a pharmacy in Florence for 22 Euro. Most pharmacies offer them and it was very efficient.

We have learned not to waste energy on worrying about the various always adjusting regulations during this Covid period and to just “roll with them”. We wanted to return to cruising on Oceania because we love it…we have now done four since cruising restarted and on every one had to adjust to changes. But, we loved them all, even with the changes. We read the postings on Cruise Critic every day about worried cruisers canceling because of the unknowns. Life is short and returning to cruising sure beats sitting at home worrying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, roger b said:

Just boarded Nautica in Barcelona NO!! Test done on the pier before boarding the ship and no proof of antigen test asked for .all we needed was proof of being fully vaccinated ??? All I have read over the last few weeks and even Oceania,'s blurb did not happen ??? 

The purpose of the recommended COVID test taken prior to boarding is to provide you with proof that it was not a pre-existing condition.  If you test positive at the pier, THEN they O will ask if you have the results from your pre-boarding COIVD test.  If you do and it is negative, then O will provide refund for your cruise and assistance with quarantine and returning home.  If you do not, then you are on your own.  O does not ask for the proof of the pre-boarding COVID test if you test negative at the pier.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, basor said:

The purpose of the recommended COVID test taken prior to boarding is to provide you with proof that it was not a pre-existing condition.  If you test positive at the pier, THEN they O will ask if you have the results from your pre-boarding COIVD test.  If you do and it is negative, then O will provide refund for your cruise and assistance with quarantine and returning home.  If you do not, then you are on your own.  O does not ask for the proof of the pre-boarding COVID test if you test negative at the pier.  

3 hours ago, basor said:

All very well but they don't test at the pier so whats the point of having a test  that you would have to pay for and they don' ask to see it , today was the biggest  shock to me as there was no testing before boarding  !!!

• Like 1

Do you have to supply your test results online before arriving at the port?

I though I read in order to get  a time slot for boarding you had to do this ?

Maybe I misunderstood this

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Do you have to supply your test results online before arriving at the port?

I though I read in order to get  a time slot for boarding you had to do this ?

Maybe I misunderstood this

No you donot have to up load anything , at the port yesterday  we were one of the fist to register we had all our tests and documents , but we had a  problem with our covid injection which were in Spanish and it took 4 separte people to figure  them out. Its early days and O simply  are feeling their way in Europe .i see no point taking a test 24 hrs before hand.

Our understanding is that one's Covid test (PCR or lab administered Antigen) must be taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or, within 72 hours for all other cruises.  

Never read anything about 24 hour window for testing; possibly some countries may require a test within that time frame.  To enter the US from Canada, we need a test within one calendar day prior to our scheduled flight departure.

4 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Our understanding is that one's Covid test (PCR or lab administered Antigen) must be taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or, within 72 hours for all other cruises.  

Never read anything about 24 hour window for testing; possibly some countries may require a test within that time frame.  To enter the US from Canada, we need a test within one calendar day prior to our scheduled flight departure.

to board in Spain a covid test is now required 24 hours before not 72 - Page 2 - Oceania Cruises - Cruise Critic Communityto board in Spain a covid test is now required 24 hours before not 72 - Page 2 - Oceania Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

On 4/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, WESTEAST said:

Does anyone know if the 48 hrs is a strict 48 hrs or any time during the 2nd day before boarding? Oceania has a chart showing the DAY to take your test (i.e., Saturday for a Monday departure) but nothing about times. I have a test scheduled for 10:30AM on a Saturday before flying to our destination to board, but I don't think I will arriving at the terminal before 12 noon or so on Monday. I didn't think the exact hour would be so crucial.

3 hours ago, PSR said:

Does anyone know if the 48 hrs is a strict 48 hrs or any time during the 2nd day before boarding? Oceania has a chart showing the DAY to take your test (i.e., Saturday for a Monday departure) but nothing about times. I have a test scheduled for 10:30AM on a Saturday before flying to our destination to board, but I don't think I will arriving at the terminal before 12 noon or so on Monday. I didn't think the exact hour would be so crucial.

Where are you flying to? If to Europe, then the time difference works in your favor. For example, parts of Europe are 5 to 7 hours ahead of parts of the US. So you can add the time difference to your 72 hour testing window. Another way to think about this is, at 10:30 AM in New York it is probably 330pm or later in most parts of Europe. You can Google the time difference between your departure city and your destination city.

I would guess that the opposite holds if you are traveling to Asia. I can’t help you there.
Enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Where are you flying to?

Just flying in the US in the same time zone. But if they really mean they're counting the hours, technically, they should take both of those, plus or minus, into consideration. I'm going to go with the poster above yours and assume anytime 2 days before is ok. We'll see what happens; our cruise is not until June and it seems like things are changing by the week...thanks for your response.