Help me decide what ship!

11 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

Easier flights to MCO and no  hassle / expense transferring  from FLL or MIA

uber for 5 was $125+ MCO to Port Canaveral and even more on the way back....

might be cheaper to rent a car and drive for 3-4 hours. Might. We did that once (not for Disney, though) - Everglades to MCO car rental.

Rule out option 2, you don't want a 6 night cruise. 

Voyager is smaller than Freedom but they have almost the exact same layout and features, you probably won't notice it is smaller. 

Looks like it comes down to this:

Voyager - longer cruise, closer to Disney, lowest price. 

Oasis - bigger better ship. 

I think your answer is to book Voyager and Disney, and book Oasis for the following year without the trip to Disney. 

8 hours ago, Devi8or said:

Hey all, so me and the family are trying to decide on what ship to take on our next cruise.  We've been on Freedom for 6 nights and loved it, but at the end, wished it was longer.  So after researching cruises for my daughter's 18th bday, i've come up with 3 options.

1. 8 Nights on the voyager (out of Port Canaveral)

+Closer to Disney

+Longer trip

+Cheapest trip

-Older ship (although renovated)

-Smaller than the Freedom we were previously on

2. 6 Nights on the Odyssey (out of Ft Lauderdale)

+Medium to Disney

+New Ship

+/-Medium Price

-Shorter trip

3. 7 Nights on the Oasis (out of Miami)

+Medium trip length

+Giant Ship

-Most Expensive trip

-Farther from Disney

So we're a party of 4.  Me, the wife. and our 2 daughters (15 and 18 at time of potential sailing).  Kids/teen clubs are a non issue, my kids refuse to go to them.  In terms of best overall experience, what would you guys think?  We like to do the shows and use the various activities/shows on board including pools.  I'm worried that 6 nights is too short and feel like I'd be stepping down going to the Voyager from the previous Freedom sailing.  Is it worth sacrificing a day or two to jump into a bigger ship?  The price is higher, but not by a ton, and I'd have to drive to/from Miami or Ft Lauderdale to Disney either before or after the sailing.  Specialty dining isn't an issue either, we usually do Main Dining room and whatever places are included

any opinions would help, I'm honestly torn, and the family seems to not care either way LOL

Jason

We literally went through almost the same debate for our family cruise Dec23.  Our decision was  between Voyageur, Harmony and Odyssey.  We will be a family of 7. Myself and DW, DD and SIL and their 3 children.  We had the same 8 vs. 7 vs. 6 day debate as well.  The only difference for us was that proximity to Disney doesn't factor into our discussion.

As a general rule my position would be more days are best but with the kids having only been on one cruise (Adventure of the Seas) I wanted them to have a different experience.  They don't care about ports of call, to them, with their lack of experience, they would all be the same.  

DW and I had cruised on Odyssey and absolutely loved it and were sure the kids would love it as well but the 6 day thing was what hung it up for me.  I want as many days as possible.  In the end we compromised with the 7 day Harmony.  It was the most expensive of the 3 but the extra day over the Odyssey and the extra activities of an Oasis class Harmony won the day won the day.

5 hours ago, topnole said:

The difference between freedom class and voyager isn’t that significant.  If you went on one and then the other a few years later you may not even notice they are a different class ship.  Just an FYI.   

Agree totally.  I don't think there is any noticeable difference between the two for less experienced cruisers, like the the OP indicated they are.

1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

Rule out option 2, you don't want a 6 night cruise. 

Voyager is smaller than Freedom but they have almost the exact same layout and features, you probably won't notice it is smaller. 

Looks like it comes down to this:

Voyager - longer cruise, closer to Disney, lowest price. 

Oasis - bigger better ship. 

I think your answer is to book Voyager and Disney, and book Oasis for the following year without the trip to Disney. 

I don't think Voyager has waterslides, which teens may like.  Not sure if Freedom did when OP went on it.

7 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I don't think Voyager has waterslides, which teens may like.  Not sure if Freedom did when OP went on it.

Water slides were added to Voyager when it was "amped" in 2019.

Voyager has an interesting history of "firsts". It was the largest cruise ship in the world when it was launched. The first to hold 3,000+ passengers. The first with a royal promenade. The first with a rock climbing wall, and the first with an ice rink. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Voyager has an interesting history of "firsts". It was the largest cruise ship in the world when it was launched. The first to hold 3,000+ passengers. The first with a royal promenade. The first with a rock climbing wall, and the first with an ice rink.

Took my first ever cruise 20 years ago on Voyager for my honeymoon when all those features were cutting edge. I've needed a very specific reason to not have a promenade ever since.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Water slides were added to Voyager when it was "amped" in 2019.

Cool.  Didn't realize that.  Thanks for clarifying.

Funny enough, DH and I were on Voyager for our honeymoon...and yes at the time it was the largest in the world.  How cruise ships have evolved!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We prefer the Oasis class of ships- Of the three, I would go on Oasis.  I believe the Harmony goes out of Port Canaveral also.  Will you and your daughters be  interested in going to Disney at the time of the potential sailing?

Yes, we will either do Disney before or after the cruise for sure. We're from Alaska, so if we're going all the way to Florida, we're knocking it all out lol 

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why  isn't Wonder of the Seas 7 night cruise in your equation of choices for 2023? It sails from Pt. Canaveral 

I think that one was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I started with a base price of the voyager one and increased it twice for those other cruises, so I'm probably gonna stop there lol

6 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Which ship goes where?  That would affect my decision.  Or do they all go to the same places?

Voyager goes to Labadee, Puerto Plata, Charlotte Amalie, St Croix

Odyssey goes to Perfect Day, Labadee, Puerto Plata

Oasis goes to Nassau, Perfect Day, Labadee, Falmouth

We have only been to Nassau if that makes a difference

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I would also like to know how long ago Freedom did a 6 Nighter, because I can't find anywhere where Freedom did a 6 night cruise, must have been a while ago.

The freedom Cruise was February of 2016 I believe, so quite awhile ago

This is all for December of 2023 if that means anything to anyone lol. My daughter will turn 18 on the 3rd,so this is like a big birthday trip

Edited by Devi8or

4 minutes ago, Devi8or said:

Voyager goes to Labadee, Puerto Plata, Charlotte Amalie, St Croix

Odyssey goes to Perfect Day, Labadee, Puerto Plata

Oasis goes to Nassau, Perfect Day, Labadee, Falmouth

We have only been to Nassau if that makes a difference

I'd pick Voyager.  Longer cruise, close to Disney, cheaper, better ports (in my opinion).

Edited by time4u2go

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I'd pick Voyager.  Longer cruise, close to Disney, better ports (in my opinion).

That's another thing I need to research, the ports, I haven't been to any on those ships except for Nassau. Our freedom trip was Nassau, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya

If anyone had advice on the ports, I'd love to hear it. Activities closer to the ship the better I would say, beaches, shops etc

Edited by Devi8or
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I want as many days as possible.  In the end we compromised with the 7 day Harmony.  It was the most expensive of the 3 but the extra day over the Odyssey and the extra activities of an Oasis class Harmony won the day won the day.

I know what it was that decided you. You talked to helen and marty who wanted that particular date and said ok ... yes that date.

I booked harmony the two previous weeks that someone else was booking and helen said dec 10th is when we can cruise .. so now I have 3 weeks in a row on harmony. Lol never cruised that longer. 14 days is my current record. Not sure what I'll do lol. 

You couldnt resist us.

You will not find Voyager sailing out of Port Canaveral. Independence, Mariner, Jewel and Harmony. Harmony is a great choice through October and in November the newest ship, Wonder, will replace Harmony at Port Canaveral. The Oasis class ships are quite something and offer much to do. If Disneyworld is in your plans, PC is the only way to go. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

I know what it was that decided you. You talked to helen and marty who wanted that particular date and said ok ... yes that date.

I booked harmony the two previous weeks that someone else was booking and helen said dec 10th is when we can cruise .. so now I have 3 weeks in a row on harmony. Lol never cruised that longer. 14 days is my current record. Not sure what I'll do lol. 

You couldnt resist us.

I found out you, Helen and Marty were going after I booked it but that definitely would have been an attraction had I known 🙂 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

You will not find Voyager sailing out of Port Canaveral. Independence, Mariner, Jewel and Harmony. Harmony is a great choice through October and in November the newest ship, Wonder, will replace Harmony at Port Canaveral. The Oasis class ships are quite something and offer much to do. If Disneyworld is in your plans, PC is the only way to go. 

This is way in the future, December 23...looks it does then

Screenshot_20220412-102721_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Devi8or

Also, I did mean to ask, in terms of deals, how is this one? Do they get better? I won't have use for KSF since mine will be 15 and 18.  I know I can book then price adjust, but would I be wrong to expect a better sale? 

Screenshot_20220412-105916_Chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, Devi8or said:

Also, I did mean to ask, in terms of deals, how is this one? Do they get better? I won't have use for KSF since mine will be 15 and 18.  I know I can book then price adjust, but would I be wrong to expect a better sale? 

Screenshot_20220412-105916_Chrome.jpg

The sales start being all the same. I think the words "up to" $550 off ... doesnt mean that you get that much off. My prices are going up since I booked. I hate to book in advance. I'm a last minute type, but I suspected the covid prices wouldnt last. Book and if prices fall before final payment ask for a adjustment.

The sad truth is the newer oasis ships do cost more :( they have more choices where to eat and stuff to do.

11 minutes ago, Devi8or said:

Also, I did mean to ask, in terms of deals, how is this one?

useless to you.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Do they get better?

yes. Price fluctuates even throughout the day sometimes.... You have to check often. But with RCI - the closer it gets to the sailing, the crazier the price gets. Not in a good way.

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The sales start being all the same. I think the words "up to" $550 off ... doesnt mean that you get that much off. My prices are going up since I booked. I hate to book in advance. I'm a last minute type, but I suspected the covid prices wouldnt last. Book and if prices fall before final payment ask for a adjustment.

The sad truth is the newer oasis ships do cost more 😞 they have more choices where to eat and stuff to do.

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

useless to you.

yes. Price fluctuates even throughout the day sometimes.... You have to check often. But with RCI - the closer it gets to the sailing, the crazier the price gets. Not in a good way.

Yeah I think the up to $550 is only like $50 in my case if I'm looking at the right one. The only benefit I'm really getting is the 30%

Screenshot_20220412-111746_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Devi8or

1 minute ago, Devi8or said:

Yeah I think the up to $550 is only like $50 in my case if I'm looking at the right one. The only benefit I'm really getting is the 30%

Screenshot_20220412-111746_Chrome.jpg

And they alternate the 30% off first two pax with 60% off first pax.

Just in case someone doesnt realize 30% off each of 2 pax is the same sale as 60% off one pax. 

The sales are pretty much the same. 

The biggest thing as you said ... voyager is cheaper than oasis class. Basically. I booked a great price for little grandeur ..not so much the newer ships. I'm paying just a little more for 19 days on grandeur as 7 days on oasis.