Arrivecan....

susan1957

Is this a one time download and fill out or do we have to do it EVERYTIME we travel.....I ran into a lot of problems with this app downloading, spent over an hour at the ticket counter with 3 ticket agents trying to get this downloaded (they wouldn't let me board without it....and I had tried to download it for 2 days before my return to Canada.....) we finally got it on one of the ticket agents phone and she copied and pasted it to my phone....what  a NIGHTMARE...OH AND PS....3 hours to get through customs on top of a delayed flight....ugh....and I am doing this all over again in 2 weeks....:)

If you leave Canada and plan to return, or if you are on a cruise that departs/arrives/stops in Canada, you need to fill out ArriveCan.  You only download the app once, and then fill in the new trip details each time.  There is a website version that you can use, however, and then just print or email yourself the receipt to show at the airport and/ or customs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, susan1957 said:

Is this a one time download and fill out or do we have to do it EVERYTIME we travel.....I ran into a lot of problems with this app downloading, spent over an hour at the ticket counter with 3 ticket agents trying to get this downloaded (they wouldn't let me board without it....and I had tried to download it for 2 days before my return to Canada.....) we finally got it on one of the ticket agents phone and she copied and pasted it to my phone....what  a NIGHTMARE...OH AND PS....3 hours to get through customs on top of a delayed flight....ugh....and I am doing this all over again in 2 weeks....:)

If you can't download the app use the browser based version mentioned by @bookbabe. You can use any internet connected browser to use this version, e.g. PC, Mac, Android or iOS phone or tablet.

You can create an account anytime. One account can be used for a single household. Once created you can enter passport/Nexus data and upload copies of your vaccination certificate(s). This information is retained by the system and is easily reused each trip.

Up to 72 hours prior to returning to Canada you can log in and submit an arrival record. The system can then email or print a copy of the receipt.

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

Up to 72 hours prior to returning to Canada you can log in and submit an arrival record. The system can then email or print a copy of the receipt.

Just a slight correction on the above:  The information is submitted within 72 hours of arrival or flight departure.  (“Up to” means prior to.)

35 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Just a slight correction on the above:  The information is submitted within 72 hours of arrival or flight departure.  (“Up to” means prior to.)

I have to disagree with your correction. As you say, " 'Up to' means prior to", and that is exactly what is required, a submission "Up to 72 hours prior to returning to Canada" as @broberts stated.

"Within 72 hours of arrival", as you suggest, would allow you to submit up to 72 hours after you have entered.

• Like 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

I have to disagree with your correction. As you say, " 'Up to' means prior to", and that is exactly what is required, a submission "Up to 72 hours prior to returning to Canada" as @broberts stated.

"Within 72 hours of arrival", as you suggest, would allow you to submit up to 72 hours after you have entered.

Oh, gotcha.  I understand your drift.  I amend that to “within 72 hours before arrival”.  😂

• Haha 1

The GOC wording of "within 72 hours of" lends itself to misunderstanding. Unless of course it truly means from 72 hours prior to and not more than 72 hours after. Something I've wondered about a few times. 🙂

49 minutes ago, broberts said:

The GOC wording of "within 72 hours of" lends itself to misunderstanding. Unless of course it truly means from 72 hours prior to and not more than 72 hours after. Something I've wondered about a few times. 🙂

In a good number of their documents they get it right, adding text that clearly shows the time frame. For example "Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise"; "Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise": and "You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada. Other documents lack this clarity and undoubtedly lead to some confusion. :classic_sad:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

If I set up my ArriveCAN account and pre-load my vaccination info, say, a month before I go on a trip, can I also pre-stage my return trip infomation earlier than 72 hrs before arrival? ie Hit the 72 hr window and then hit send?

In order to pre-load your information, create a dummy trip with an arrival date within the next 72 hours. You can then enter all of the other required information factually.  Then, when you do hit the actual 72 hour window, correct the dummy arrival date to the real one before making your submission. 

20 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

There is an upgrade scheduled for tomorrow so you’ll want to wait until that’s completed to update your information.

40D8F0B8-EFEC-4416-9C29-6350BFEFFF34.jpeg

Does this app not update automatically?  Or do we have to uninstall/reinstall and re put in all our info ?  
I’ve read a few posts about new versions of it and was curious 

45 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

Does this app not update automatically?  Or do we have to uninstall/reinstall and re put in all our info ?  

No need to uninstall.  You can do the update through the App Store.  All your info will be retained.  (Refers to iOS.  Do not know how an android handles this.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

No need to uninstall.  You can do the update through the App Store.  All your info will be retained.  (Refers to iOS.  Do not know how an android handles this.)

Mine seemed to update automatically. I went to the App Store and found the app. It just said Open - not Download. It is version 2.27.2. There are a whole bunch of changes concerning marine travellers and filling out the information ahead of embarkation at their country of origin and arrival in Canada. These changes are summarised in the What’s New part at the App Store. (Although it says 1w ago) so not sure what other changes they did with the overnight maintenance. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Freckles1983 said:

Depending on o/s and personal settings one may have to approve an update before it will be installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

In order to pre-load your information, create a dummy trip with an arrival date within the next 72 hours. You can then enter all of the other required information factually.  Then, when you do hit the actual 72 hour window, correct the dummy arrival date to the real one before making your submission. 

Thx Fouremco. Using the on-line app version.

I get to the end where it asks about symptoms and the next step is submit form. I didn't submit the form and instead just closed the web app. When I login again it takes me directly to the symptom confirmation page and completely bypasses the setup info where I can change it to the true date. My only other option was to "Start Over" and selecting that deletes all of the info already entered.

Any ideas? Or is it a web app vs mobile (iOS) app difference? Or did the recent update get rid of the pre-staging loophole?

35 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Thx Fouremco. Using the on-line app version.

I get to the end where it asks about symptoms and the next step is submit form. I didn't submit the form and instead just closed the web app. When I login again it takes me directly to the symptom confirmation page and completely bypasses the setup info where I can change it to the true date. My only other option was to "Start Over" and selecting that deletes all of the info already entered.

Any ideas? Or is it a web app vs mobile (iOS) app difference? Or did the recent update get rid of the pre-staging loophole?

I've had no trouble with it using the app. When I enter and save all of my information, then close the app, it takes me back to the beginning when I reopen it. I've not experimented with the web version, but perhaps someone else can provide a trick to solve your problem.

When creating my dummy trip, there is a "save and close"  link at bottom of each page. 

When returning/re-opening the app, the first page lists all the partially completed forms (along with a trash can to completely delete the info entered). Selecting the "continue" button directs me to start of the forms with info already pre-filled from saved session.

- first page: reason for travel (all Canadians should choose first option)

- second page: how you are entering Canada (air, land, marine)

- third page (assuming you chose marine in last page): enter marine trip details including Country of origin, date of embarkation, port of entry  and date of arrival

- fourth page: contact information

- fifth page: selct travellers for the trip (including editing existing and adding travellers)

- sixth page: testing and quarantine info page that you have to acknowledge

- seventh page: travel history of other countries within past 14 days (I assume this includes adding USA for an Alaska cruise)

- eighth page to 14 page: quarantine plan details

- 15th page: destination on arrival (home, hotel, other)

- last pages: COVID symptoms self assessments

Almost every page has a "save and close" option at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Hello,

I'll be going on the Joy in September out of NY and doing Canada and New England.  We'll be finishing as well in NY.  On ArriveCan where it asks if I've visited any other countries besides the US in the last 14 days do I say Yes?  I don't see Canada in the drop down menu.

I'm doing a dummy test and using the website.  My smartphone doesn't have the correct requirements to use the app on it.  It's a number of years old but is still very good.

Thanks, happytotravel

I did a dummy setup last night as well. When I checked just now, it opened to the symptom confirmation page too. I never saw a save and close option. I am inclined to delete all and start over. Is the save and close option on the AP or web version? I will pay closer attention  to which one I use next time. Thanks to all for giving me the confidence to attempt a dummy version,  and a thanks in advance for answers to more questions. It is my lack that is making this procedure complicated but lack of travel and aging over past 2 1/2 years, have contributed. I need to cruise, badly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gubby said:

I did a dummy setup last night as well. When I checked just now, it opened to the symptom confirmation page too. I never saw a save and close option. I am inclined to delete all and start over. Is the save and close option on the AP or web version? I will pay closer attention  to which one I use next time. Thanks to all for giving me the confidence to attempt a dummy version,  and a thanks in advance for answers to more questions. It is my lack that is making this procedure complicated but lack of travel and aging over past 2 1/2 years, have contributed. I need to cruise, badly.

You are correct Gubby. I checked the web app also and there is not a "save and close" option on any of the pages. I guess I'll try the mobile app.

I tried the mobile app (iOS) and it has the "save and close" option at the bottom of each page.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19

pub-en.png

Download the alternative format
(PDF format, 592 KB, 1 pages)

Organization:Public Health Agency of Canada

Published: 2022-04-01

Travellers entering Canada must follow the rules set out by the Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act and Interim Orders under the Canada Shipping Act to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its variants.

These measures also apply to those joining vessels from within Canada that will go into international waters.

Before boarding the ship

All travellers must be fully vaccinated with limited exemptions.

Take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test.

Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise.

Contact your cruise line about their boarding policies.

You must have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19.

On arrival to Canada

Have your ArriveCAN receipt and proof of vaccination, and be sure to have the information available for 14 days after your arrival in Canada.

…………….

Given the above I understand I need to complete Arrivecan BEFORE embarking in Vancouver.   The last sentence above seems to imply that I use THAT embarkation receipt when I return to Vancouver from my Alaska round trip.  Or do I need to complete another one within72 hour of my return?

• Like 2