The Daily for Thursday 04/14/2022

richwmn

Today is Ex Spouse Day, International Moment of Laughter Day, and National Dolphin Day

There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.--Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Meal Suggestion for today - Tasty-Italian Vegetable Soup
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Paloma
Wine of the Day - mepherson shiraz, australia
Destination of the Day - Naha, Japan

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Puerto Quetzal GT eta 4/15

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, Hawaii eta 4/17
Zuiderdam   Destination Cabo San Lucas, MX eta 4/16

Panama Canal

Eurodam   05:00 - 05:00

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Zaandam  

0414World.thumb.png.f3bb1da0327b94c5d9a8566354787700.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Very windy here but at least it's still warm. 

Interesting days.  No ex-spouses in our house.  Love to laugh and dolphins are important.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm not sure about the drink.  Hope the wine is tasty and not too expensive.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

My husband is being interred today at Willamette National Cemetery with Air Force Honors...

We have so many great memories....I wanted to share a few....

We always laughed about how he had requested remote Alaska after his Air Police training...and instead was sent to Bermuda for two years....and how some poor guy probably requested Bermuda....and ended up in remote Alaska...!!

He was a Trust Territory Deputy Sheriff on Kwajalein...and talked about his first helicopter ride there....how he and the pilot got in...and then....his door fell off...:)

When he retired his badge after 33 years with the State of Oregon....we moved to a cabin in Camp Sherman....how he loved those years.....feeding the deer and birds and squirrels......and was a volunteer where he met and knew everyone who lived there....

He loved our family....3 sons and their families....

We were married 50 years.....we often wondered if we'd make that milestone...and we did...!!!

The last several years were full of travel....always planning for one more trip....!!

And this was one of them....sitting in San Diego...waiting to board the Oosterdam....

San Diego watching our ship come in.jpg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.

It is 62°F and sunny here this morning.

My grandmother was Italian and we both like Italian food.

We went to an Italian restaurant for breakfast this morning.

Dolphins are lovely.

Laughter is good for stress and worthy of many days.

Loyal friends are few but should be treasured and everyone should  be loyal to their friends.

Nice food but we don't drink red wine.

Prayers for everyone they can help.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

IMG_20220414_094103.jpg

• Like 37

Drink of the day:

Hornitos Paloma:

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
3 parts Fever-Tree Pink Grapefruit
Garnish: Grapefruit Wedge
Salt or Spice Rim (optional)

Instructions
Fill the glass with ice. Add Hornitos® Plata and Fever-Tree Pink Grapefruit and stir gently. Garnish with a grapefruit wedge. Spice or salt the rim if desired (but not necessary) by wetting the rim of the glass with lime, and then dipping into a plate of spice mix or salt.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 7.10.20 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, Rowsby said:
My husband is being interred today at Willamette National Cemetery with Air Force Honors...

We always laughed about how he had requested remote Alaska after his Air Police training...and instead was sent to Bermuda for two years....and how some poor guy probably requested Bermuda....and ended up in remote Alaska...!!

He was a Trust Territory Deputy Sheriff on Kwajalein...and talked about his first helicopter ride there....how he and the pilot got in...and then....his door fell off...:)

When he retired his badge after 33 years with the State of Oregon....we moved to a cabin in Camp Sherman....how he loved those years.....feeding the deer and birds and squirrels......and was a volunteer where he met and knew everyone who lived there....

We were married 50 years.....we often wondered if we'd make that milestone...and we did...!!!

The last several years were full of travel....always planning for one more trip....!!

And this was one of them....sitting in San Diego...waiting to board the Oosterdam....

Thinking of you today.

Your husband sounds like he was an amazing man and it is fitting he is interred with Air force honours today at Willamette National cemetery.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

It is a rainy start to the day here in northeast Ohio.  High winds are possible.  I may have to chase the trash cans down the street.   

6 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

I am holding you close to my heart today.  I am glad you are finding peace in your memories.  

Today's meal is a great one.   The first recipe is very easy and pretty basic.  You could add vegetables that you like to it and it wouldn't hurt a thing.  It looks pretty good just the way it is.  I just have to pick up a couple of zucchini and I'm home free on this one!   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tasty-italian-vegetable-soup/

788399923_Italianvegetablesoup1.jpg.942f73ee9a7b8f6565e01ac64c640ad2.jpg

This next version is meatless and throws in some pasta and additional vegetables.  Soup is really anything you want to make it.   Start with a recipe and use it as a building block.   https://anitalianinmykitchen.com/italian-vegetable-soup/

873141623_Italianvegetablesoup2.thumb.jpg.2fbce2aac20579baaa56e42d97ed4df9.jpg

Our last version uses ground beef, but that can easily be left out or swapped out for something more to your liking.  If you switch to a ground turkey or chicken, use chicken broth instead of the beef broth.  https://carlsbadcravings.com/italian-vegetable-soup/

Italian-Vegetable-Soup-8.thumb.jpg.d071990b7ba70d0c189e44d6baa3e04a.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Warm thoughts and hugs to @Rowsby on a most difficult day.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Very cloudy, but not raining - yet. Back up to 66 this morning. Off to an early class. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. @Heartgrove Jack, I was sad to ready that your Sister has entered hospice. May she wear those golden slippers in July!

Morning Dailyites! 

Some Thursday smiles….

498CC2FD-8455-435A-B6ED-316ABFF4EB7C.jpeg.71ce9991423d852b2899d57430155ff7.jpeg

F3E28B84-AA5A-4114-A953-9FDC2DA458B4.jpeg.de27acafdcc9eab8ecd01cb4a2bf73de.jpeg

E55B562A-9724-42B8-9D07-D0A44105A35A.jpeg.2f4461631c10d3f118b6b9022821159c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

McPherson shiraz

This is one elusive wine. More options for online purchases than reviews. But consumers have given the 2018 vintage a rating of 3.9 out of 5.  So they like it and the price is certainly reasonable. Some of the comments makes me believe aerating this one would help. You can pay as low as $15.97 for the 2018 to $7.00 for the 2020.

Distributor Notes

With subtly integrated American Oak balanced with ripe plums and blackberries, this wine has excellent structure and length. Secondary aromas of chocolate and spice add intrigue and complexity to the wine with soft tannins creating a supple and smooth wine with impressive length.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2017 MS Zaandam voyage from Buenos Aires to San Diego.  April 14, 2017 was a sea day between Manta and Puerto Caldera

daysend14.jpg

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, lists and recipes.  Not sure about ex spouses because I don’t have one but my brother’s ex wife is more like a sister, nothing ex about her. Here’s to laughter and dolphins!  The meal and drink sound delicious.  I like today’s quote very much.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list, @Rowsbybe comforted by your wonderful memories of your DH today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.🥂

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Maundy Thursday Rich.  Few if any ex-spouses in my family.  Dolphins are magnificent creatures,  I expect lots of moments of laughter in today's daily and have already seen a few.  I like the Austin quote but do not think I've been to Naha.  The soup sounds nice.  My alternative is Strawberry Banana Blueberry, Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Filet Mignon, and Linzer Torte as served on MS Zaandam April 14, 2017.

dishes14.jpg

I think this is Zaandam's first visit to Port Everglades since April 29, 2020.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
Lung cancer surgery for lazey1 BIL
Hartgrove older sister entering hospice
Durangoscots new leaky shelter roof
From the rotation:
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam in Everglades
Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Rowsby DH interred today
Seasick sailer escaping major storm damage
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
3 days for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17) ,Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)  at sea
4th jabs for ger_77 DH, Sea viewer and me
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Norseh2o on family  celebration
Ancient Wanderer with 2 sore arms
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Happy Thursday to all.  Thanks to everyone who keep this thread updated.  I vote this the nicest thread on Cruise Critic!

I believe we will make it to see my SIL this Saturday.  Both adult kids going with us since a drive that far would be too much for DH — plus they wish to see their aunt as well.  Nothing on the agenda today except sunny skies and getting my car inspected.  Katherine 

• Like 32

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Maundy Thursday Rich.  Few if any ex-spouses in my family.  Dolphins are magnificent creatures,  I expect lots of moments of laughter in today's daily and have already seen a few.  I like the Austin quote but do not think I've been to Naha.  The soup sounds nice.  My alternative is Strawberry Banana Blueberry, Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Filet Mignon, and Linzer Torte as served on MS Zaandam April 14, 2017.

dishes14.jpg

I think this is Zaandam's first visit to Port Everglades since April 29, 2020.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
Lung cancer surgery for lazey1 BIL
Hartgrove older sister entering hospice
Durangoscots new leaky shelter roof
From the rotation:
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam in Everglades
Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Rowsby DH interred today
Seasick sailer escaping major storm damage
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
3 days for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17) ,Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)  at sea
4th jabs for ger_77 DH, Sea viewer and me
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Norseh2o on family  celebration
Ancient Wanderer with 2 sore arms
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

The picture of your  dear husband is lovely. I will be thinking of you on this difficult day and hope your good memories help you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

- Jack

Sending prayers 🙏 for your older sister in Hospice Jack.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1