April 16 - Apex - Back Again

What A Market

Kicking off a new semi, mostly, somewhat live thread for my latest cruise on the Apex.  I posted live from my cruise on the Apex this past December.  Loved it.

I will do my best to post frequently and answer questions.

Here we go!

• Like 2

Here is a question for you, if you have the chance.  We are on the B2B transatlantic and British Isles cruise in 2 weeks on the Apex.  Celebrity has been very inconsistent in messaging on pre-cruise testing before the transatlantic, and it is driving some of us on the roll call (me included) crazy.  The Celebrity website page specific to the transatlantic cruises says testing 1 day before sailing (because we end in Amsterdam, it is supposed to be a rule applicable to Spain, Italy and Amsterdam according to the website page).  The Celebrity app for our cruise also says 1 day.  However, we have received 3 separate emails about our cruise, including one this morning, specifying that testing is required 2 days before the cruise.  I just wonder if someone at check in tomorrow (or at Guest Relations on board) would be able to clarify which rule they understand they will be using, when the April 30 boarding date arises?

Thanks, and don't worry about it if you don't get a chance to check in with them.

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree

Ok, time for a really live post.  Onboard my direct flight from Phoenix to Miami with American Airlines. Plane and crew showed up, so we are on time. (Not always the case lately.)  Traveling first class with points so enjoying that, but we are on a A321neo, so first class seats are basically an extra roomy regular seat.  Plane is brand new though — Feb 2022 revision.

I get my inspiration to post live from the frequent other posters.  Recently and currently we have/had live posting on the Celebrity board from BennyBrun, JamieLogical, Jim_Iain, and certainly many others. I won’t be posting as many photos as Benny (amazing work), drinking as much as Jamie (astounding), or providing as much detail as Jim (impressive).  

Easing into vacation mode.  Work has been, shall we say, a b#@ch of late.  Too early for me to start with an adult beverage. So sticking to coffee to start. American Air has started up pre-flight drinks again, so nice for that. Long flight. Probably a glass of wine later!

C1A522EA-6826-4ADB-A2C1-CEF7310C0422.jpeg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

which room type are you in on Apex this time around?

Same same. Penthouse suite. Exact same room.  Booked on spur of the moment (meaning no conversation with DW beforehand) while feeling sorry for myself for not being on the Apex. I was in Celebrity’s site looking at cruises where I could do a quick getaway on the Apex. Saw this Western Caribbean cruise and saw “my” exact same suite was available. Took it as sign from the gods, and booked!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Arrived early — Yay!

Waited an hour plus for bags to arrive. 
Sorry MIA, but your baggage handling always seems to suck. Boo!

For MIA, airport pretty quiet. HUGE lines for rebooking though in the terminal. Looks like the earlier thunderstorms caused some real chaos with flights. Raining on us a bit as we drive to hotel. 

Edited by What A Market

I'll be getting on the Apex on the 23rd. I'm curious to know how many people have Covid (since I need to get on a cruise after that one - LOL!). I see the CDC has it marked as Orange right now.

If you get a copy of all the shows/showtimes that would be great. 

We're going for the first time in a suite, so any other information you think would be helpful would be great. 🙂

Have a great time!

• Like 1

Our flight got to FLL about a hour early in the midst of a downpour.  First time on the Apex  but have done 3 on the Edge.  We visited friends in the Penthouse on the Edge, it’s beautiful.  Maybe our paths will cross at the Sundeck bar.

• Like 1

Boarding day!  YAY

Enjoying a quiet morning cup of coffee at the hotel while DW sleeps in. The three hour time change from Arizona is a bit harder on her to adjust to.  (I basically don’t sleep, so no problem for me. LOL)

Looks like the weather here in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area will be nicer today compared to yesterday.  Stiff breeze, but I guess that’s nothing surprising here.

No specific plan for getting to the ship time-wise.  One of the benefits of suites (or maybe upper suites) — we can show up whenever we want, although the Celebrity App gave me a noon boarding time. In my communications with the shoreside Concierge, I said we would board at 11:00. 

Here’s my scenery for this morning. Beautiful.

17CDBEE3-AEF6-4BCA-BE1B-A12B57ED7356.jpeg

Edited by What A Market
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

I'll be getting on the Apex on the 23rd. I'm curious to know how many people have Covid (since I need to get on a cruise after that one - LOL!). I see the CDC has it marked as Orange right now.

If you get a copy of all the shows/showtimes that would be great. 

We're going for the first time in a suite, so any other information you think would be helpful would be great. 🙂

Have a great time!

Hi Sparkly

I’ll try to give any updates I hear on COVID counts. I’ve been following Schittenden, who is posting live from the current Apex sailing. I think he noted in one post there were 6 passengers and 36 crew in quarantine.

My personal opinion: This will be life as we know it.  I am doubled boosted and wear a mask now only when required, but was a full time mask wearer over all the COVID peaks. I may wear a mask on the ship in elevators or in crowded indoor venues. Haven’t decided yet. I’ll probably shift to mask wearing though if there are reported cases on this cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, What A Market said:

Hi Sparkly

I’ll try to give any updates I hear on COVID counts. I’ve been following Schittenden, who is posting live from the current Apex sailing. I think he noted in one post there were 6 passengers and 36 crew in quarantine.

My personal opinion: This will be life as we know it.  I am doubled boosted and wear a mask now only when required, but was a full time mask wearer over all the COVID peaks. I may wear a mask on the ship in elevators or in crowded indoor venues. Haven’t decided yet. I’ll probably shift to mask wearing though if there are reported cases on this cruise.

Yes, agreed it will be life as we know it. I'm only concerned because we are doing a B2B (on another ship) and need to test negative to get to the second leg.

Trying to board Apex this morning 4.16.2022

Our flight out of Austin was canceled 

Found a flight to Tampa 

All of our luggage was lost

Drove from Tampa to FLL arriving at 4:30 AM

Try to sleep before shopping for clothing at the nearby Shell gas station 

What a trip 

Trying to talk the wife out of the “I’m with Stupid” T-shirt 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, biguntx said:

Trying to board Apex this morning 4.16.2022

Our flight out of Austin was canceled 

Found a flight to Tampa 

All of our luggage was lost

Drove from Tampa to FLL arriving at 4:30 AM

Try to sleep before shopping for clothing at the nearby Shell gas station 

What a trip 

Trying to talk the wife out of the “I’m with Stupid” T-shirt 

Oh no! Not a good start! 

Best of luck with the wardrobe selection. At least it appears you will make the ship!

mac_tlc

sorry to hear that your vacation is off to a rough start.

Galleria Mall on Sunrise is not too terribly far from the port.  They may have a better selection of what you need until your luggage catches up with you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, micmacmissy said:

We’re just off Apex.  Wonderful trip.  Wondering what covid numbers are like- by yesterday there were a LOT of Retreat employees either sick or in quarantine.  Made for interesting Luminae experience last night and this morning!

Ugh!  But again, I suspect one more constant of cruising in these times.

3 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

We’re just off Apex.  Wonderful trip.  Wondering what covid numbers are like- by yesterday there were a LOT of Retreat employees either sick or in quarantine.  Made for interesting Luminae experience last night and this morning!

Oh yikes!! This is not looking good for me to make my B2B! 🤣

On 4/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, TFree said:

Here is a question for you, if you have the chance.  We are on the B2B transatlantic and British Isles cruise in 2 weeks on the Apex.  Celebrity has been very inconsistent in messaging on pre-cruise testing before the transatlantic, and it is driving some of us on the roll call (me included) crazy.  The Celebrity website page specific to the transatlantic cruises says testing 1 day before sailing (because we end in Amsterdam, it is supposed to be a rule applicable to Spain, Italy and Amsterdam according to the website page).  The Celebrity app for our cruise also says 1 day.  However, we have received 3 separate emails about our cruise, including one this morning, specifying that testing is required 2 days before the cruise.  I just wonder if someone at check in tomorrow (or at Guest Relations on board) would be able to clarify which rule they understand they will be using, when the April 30 boarding date arises?

Thanks, and don't worry about it if you don't get a chance to check in with them.

Tom & Judy

I asked at Guest Services. They said two days, but they didn’t seem particularly sure of the answer and seemed to be relying on general communications. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like you missed the long lines to board.  We got to the Suite entrance at 11:15 and a line was forming.  Apparently the ship wasn’t ready for boarding and the SuiteLounge in the terminal was full.  We waited in a line which quickly fell into everyone inching forward.  
That lasted about 35 minutes when they let groups of 10 on the elevator to join a line at luggage screening.   Once we entered the Suite Lounge a check in person became available and grabbed us.  That upset a fellow about 4 groups behind us.  Who made it known that they were in a______ and he should be checked in before all these others and he wanted be checked in NOW.  

All in all it was a hour between arrival and boarding. 

• Haha 2