US Citizen - Cruise Ending in Vancouver. Question about testing/quarantine plan

MichFish

I am a fully vaccinated US citizen.   I will be on a cruise from Alaska to Canada.     My plane to the US will be the day after.   I am spending 1 night in Vancouver. 

I know know I will need to do a COVID test either the day before or the day of my flight.  

My question. Is what happens if my test is positive?   Because I will not be able to fly to the US of that happens. 

I think - if I have this right - I will need to quarantine in a hotel.  I am not sure if it is 10 days or 14 days?  Or some other days?

I also think that ArriveCAN is going to ask for my quarantine plan.   What do I say?

is there a list of hotels approved for Quarantine?

Insurance wise I have purchased the travel insurance through the airline that will pay for accommodation in the event of a positive test.  

Any insight is appreciated.   I like to k kw what to expect and I can’t seem to find much bit confusing and conflicting opinions on this topic. 

Cruise lines are responsible for arranging quarantine. You could do a self-test and report it if you test positive. My hope is they would be obligated to confirm that result before allowing you to disembark. In that case, you’d have the resources of the cruise line to direct you to appropriate housing and no surprise at the airport that leaves you hanging.

I look forward to the responses of others who have better information than I do.

The cruiseline is only responsible for arranging and paying for your quarantine if you test positive during the cruise. If you first test positive after disembarking, then it is your responsibility to arrange/pay for quarantine.

It might be worth your while to take a test kit with you, and on the last full day of the cruise, test yourself. If you test negative and are asymptomatic, it's possible but unlikely that you will test positive on either of the following two days when you take your pre-flight test.

On the other hand, if you are positive when you test yourself, you will need to report yourself to the medical office. If they confirm that you are positive, then responsibility for your quarantine fall to the cruiseline.

In British Columbia, the quarantine period for those who are fully vaccinated is as follows:

You are considered to be fully vaccinated if you have two doses of any of the World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine. You do not need to have a booster dose to be considered fully vaccinated.

If you test positive for COVID-19 and are fully vaccinated, you need to self-isolate at home for 5 days AND until your symptoms improve and you no longer have a fever. 

• You do not need to be re-tested for COVID-19 to end your self-isolation period and return to your normal activities. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/self-isolation

This is a somewhat date list of hotels offering quarantine rates, prepared by the BC government. I've no idea which of these still offer a special rate, or what the rate might be now:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/government/services-for-government-and-broader-public-sector/buy-goods-services-and-construction/goods-and-services-catalogue/csa-assets/accommodations/accommodation_website_rates_during_covid-19.pdf

You might ask the hotel where you have booked for your night in Vancouver whether they offer a quarantine rate, and whether you can extend your stay if necessary.

For your ArriveCAN quarantine plan entry, go with the hotel you have booked. Should you test positive on the ship, you can resubmit with the new information.

I’m not the OP, but I thank you just the same. I’ll go with the assumption my plan for a self-test will work. If positive, I’ll have access to people who can get me through the process and cleared to fly home eventually.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Cruise lines are responsible for arranging quarantine. You could do a self-test and report it if you test positive. My hope is they would be obligated to confirm that result before allowing you to disembark. In that case, you’d have the resources of the cruise line to direct you to appropriate housing and no surprise at the airport that leaves you hanging.

I look forward to the responses of others who have better information than I do.

I am having the same assumptions.  Bit in addition to the cruise line offered trip insurance I got the travel insurance through Delta that includes trip interruption and includes coverage for accommodations.  

I’m more confused by the mechanics of how this works… if it happens at all …. And what I put in the ArriveCAN app for the required quarantine plan.  

13 minutes ago, MichFish said:

I am having the same assumptions.  Bit in addition to the cruise line offered trip insurance I got the travel insurance through Delta that includes trip interruption and includes coverage for accommodations.  

I’m more confused by the mechanics of how this works… if it happens at all …. And what I put in the ArriveCAN app for the required quarantine plan.  

Still some unanswered questions for me, too. I plan to use Canada Place as my quarantine plan because it indicates I am a cruise ship passenger. If indeed my self-test is positive, I will report it to medical and they will be responsible for confirming the results and arranging quarantine. Even if quarantine is five days for fully vaccinated people, the requirement remains for a negative test to fly home. I expect an agent of the cruise line to be available to resolve that question if the test is still positive.

I also have insurance, but I don’t know which is primary. My guess is that the insurance company will want the cruise line to pay first if they are legally responsible for arranging quarantine. Insurance then will cover any excess. Be prepared to pay in case you have to file for reimbursement from the cruise line as well as insurance.

If you wait to test at the airport, you are on your own to find a hotel that will accept COVID positive quests and possibly have a discounted rate for such an occasion. You will have to pay and file for reimbursement. That is the way travel insurance works. Save all receipts and documents.

You also have to figure out how to meet the requirement to fly home or explore other options if you are still positive after five days.

If one tests positive on the ship the cruise line is responsible for arranging and according to https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html, paying for quarantine in Canada.

This suggests that doing a test the day before debarkation would be prudent.

• Thanks 1

I am traveling from Vancouver to US and didn’t think about Covid Test to get back in US as I haven’t traveled internationally right from cruise ship to airport.    I am leaving ship and going straight to airport.

Do they test at airport in Vancouver so I can fly back to US  right away? 

Has anyone done this?  How long does it take and cost?

Can I use a regular testing kit?  

Does  it have to be a special kind where some watches you thru an app on phone?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

I am traveling from Vancouver to US and didn’t think about Covid Test to get back in US as I haven’t traveled internationally right from cruise ship to airport.    I am leaving ship and going straight to airport.

Thanks

Here is a link to the testing services on Sea Island (where the airport is located).  

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing

Things are probably more convenient if you pick one of the operators that is actually in the main terminal building.  That would be:

a) CVM MEDICAL  (near US departures)

b) ULTIMA (lower level below Domestic arrivals)

c) BON VOYAGE MEDICAL – FAIRMONT VANCOUVER AIRPORT (hotel in terminal building just above US departures)

If none of those work.  there is also one in the South Terminal.  The South Terminal is mostly used for flights with that 19 passengers into report parts of the province.  There is a shuttle to/from the main terminal.

Edited by em-sk

5 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

Thanks

Check with your cruise line as well to see if they are making any arrangements at the pier to offer testing for guests returning to the US. 

But generally, the test requirements to fly to the US that are currently in place are very similar to the requirements for boarding a ship, except the test can only be taken 1 day before your flight. You can get it done in person or virtually through a telehealth provider. 

5 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

Yes the test has to be observed by a qualified person and you will need a report that confirms this was done. See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html for details and a FAQ.

6 hours ago, em-sk said:

Here is a link to the testing services on Sea Island (where the airport is located).  

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing

Things are probably more convenient if you pick one of the operators that is actually in the main terminal building.  That would be:

a) CVM MEDICAL  (near US departures)

b) ULTIMA (lower level below Domestic arrivals)

c) BON VOYAGE MEDICAL – FAIRMONT VANCOUVER AIRPORT (hotel in terminal building just above US departures)

If none of those work.  there is also one in the South Terminal.  The South Terminal is mostly used for flights with that 19 passengers into report parts of the province.  There is a shuttle to/from the main terminal.

CVM has posted on their website that they will be opening a testing centre at the Vancouver Convention Centre.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:54 PM, Desert Cruisers said:

CVM has posted on their website that they will be opening a testing centre at the Vancouver Convention Centre.

Depending on what they set the cost at, it may be worthwhile just for the convenience. Right now I'm looking at booking @ Switch in Richmond for our embarkation test.

Edited by cdn_tbird