oasis. why empty from FL up to NJ?

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

One person can not experience "mass" confusion.  And I have seen confusion from many others besides JRG,  so even  if he were confused he would not be the "only" one, although, JRG does not appear confused at all.  And he is correct, many posters here mistakenly refer to the Jones Act when talking about passengers.

I know it is tempting sometimes, we all do it.... but try not to let your reliance on snark get in the way of accuracy. 😉

Okay, while I have in the past corrected people about the difference between the Jones Act and PVSA, I will stop doing so, since there is no difference.  While those two names are the names of the Bills presented to Congress, and the Public Laws passed from those bills, no governing is done by those laws until they are codified into the USC (U.S. Code).  If you look in the USC, nowhere do the words "Jones Act" or "PVSA" appear.  If you Google those Acts, they link to sections of the USC, but again, nowhere are the Acts' names in the USC.  The Jones Act is codified as sections 46 USC 55102, while the PVSA is sections 46 USC 55101 and 55103.  In fact, the Jones Act, is only one section (27) of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920.  So, while each Act covers different things, the law (the USC) is section 46 USC, which covers both types of transportation, as well as all maritime commerce.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, vjmatty said:

I've also seen some itineraries from Boston to or from Charleston that go out to Bermuda.....definitely distant and foreign 😉

Bermuda is not far enough away to be considered a "distant foreign port". 

On 4/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, Lane Hog said:

Yup.  The stop within North America works for a round trip cruise. 

It doesn't for a point to point cruise.  They'd have to stop in Russia on the way to Alaska or Seattle, and that isn't happening anytime soon...

Check for yourself... you shouldn't be able to find any one-way cruises on a foreign flag starting or ending Seattle northbound.  Those will all start/end in Vancouver.

Lane Hog,

How about the one-way cruises from Seattle to Florida that stop at Central American countries? Do they fall under the same rules?

Jim

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Okay, while I have in the past corrected people about the difference between the Jones Act and PVSA, I will stop doing so, since there is no difference.  While those two names are the names of the Bills presented to Congress, and the Public Laws passed from those bills, no governing is done by those laws until they are codified into the USC (U.S. Code).  If you look in the USC, nowhere do the words "Jones Act" or "PVSA" appear.  If you Google those Acts, they link to sections of the USC, but again, nowhere are the Acts' names in the USC.  The Jones Act is codified as sections 46 USC 55102, while the PVSA is sections 46 USC 55101 and 55103.  In fact, the Jones Act, is only one section (27) of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920.  So, while each Act covers different things, the law (the USC) is section 46 USC, which covers both types of transportation, as well as all maritime commerce.

I have another question. What about ocean freighters that also carry passengesr? Where do they fit?

Jim

29 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Lane Hog,

How about the one-way cruises from Seattle to Florida that stop at Central American countries? Do they fall under the same rules?

Jim

They all stop somewhere in South America.   Usually Cartagena, Columbia.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Lane Hog,

Jim

They all follow the same rules. And those cruises stop somewhere in South America or one of the ABC islands so that they are in compliance with the rules

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Lane Hog,

Jim

They will also stop at Cartagena, Colombia, or the ABC islands to be legal.  Central American ports are not "distant".

10 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I have another question. What about ocean freighters that also carry passengesr? Where do they fit?

Jim

Those freighters are set up to carry a maximum of 12 passengers, and since the definition of "passenger vessel" is any vessel that carries more than 12 passengers, they slip under the definition, and are not considered "passenger" vessels, so they don't fall under the PVSA.  These ships have been designed this way for half a century or so, just so they don't have to meet the more costly and stringent measures that passenger vessels of any flag have to meet, compared to cargo ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Lane Hog,

Jim

Technically Central America is part of North America.  

• Thanks 1

Having just come off Oasis, they will need the time to train new personnel and quite honestly the crew on board currently don't get time off or have the ability to get off the ship while in port so hopefully this will give them a little down time. During our cruise the captain indicated that out of a normal crew of 3200 they are currently at a little under 2000. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

Sure. No requirement that they have to depart from Vancouver.  They just can't depart from the US.

There are no oneway cruises from Seattle to Alaska aside from the marine highway ferries. Not quite the same Four Star experience.....

All those cruises stopping in Victoria are round trips, which by statue have to stop in a foreign port.

Both points already covered in detail if you had read the entire thread and not just the last page or so......

Believe me ... I have read it all... 

Your post I quoted said nothing about round-trip. No need to get snarky when someone doesn't agree with you.

mac_tlc

8 hours ago, basktchic said:

Having just come off Oasis, they will need the time to train new personnel and quite honestly the crew on board currently don't get time off or have the ability to get off the ship while in port so hopefully this will give them a little down time. During our cruise the captain indicated that out of a normal crew of 3200 they are currently at a little under 2000. 

i plan on seeing 1200 new crew when i board next sunday