Transportation Questions, Southampton and NYC

Jack E Dawson

Dee and I will be on the May 8th QM2 Crossing, SH to NYC. We will be spending a week in London before boarding.

Any advice on getting from Heathrow to the London. Our hotel is across from the St. James Park tube station. We will each have one checked bag and one small carry-on.

Arriving in NYC, We will need transportation to LaGuardia airport. We will be doing self-disembarkation. Out flight is at 1:00PM.  

Thanks

Jack

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

1pm flight from LGA should be no problem especially with Self Disembark.

We have made LGA  and JFK 11:30am every time (5) with Self Disembark.

What sort of transportation did you use to get to LGA?

Thanks

Jack

39 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

What sort of transportation did you use to get to LGA?

Thanks

Jack

Cunard transfer 2 times, Dial 7 car service 3 times, taxi 1 time- got a bad driver who took us for a ride to pad his payment, limo service 2 times that were waiting at the pier looking for fares. Many choices. Could also use Uber or Lyft

Edited by Chart Room Princess

Travel from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal to LGA:  We've used Dial 7 car service with great success.  Cabs are usually available at the cruise terminal.  You can also call an Uber or schedule an Uber ahead of time.

I have found that with two people and luggage, the easiest way from Heathrow to Central London is by black Cab. You can get one that takes credit cards or visit the atm's after baggage in the airport for GBP.

Taking the tube or the Heathrow Express train means getting a taxi to the hotel from the tube station or Paddington and it's just not worth the effort. Especially with the jet lag you will get from the overnight trip, that get to LHR when your body clock says it's the middle of the night. 

8 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

...but the OP stated that the tube station was opposite the hotel, so no taxis involved.

On several trips to London I’ve taken the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow (less expensive and only a tad slower than Heathrow Express) to Gloucester Road stop —several hotels (various price ranges) within a block or so, making it an ideal base for London visit, as District and Central lines also stop there. 

I'm guessing that you're staying at the Conrad, which is an excellent hotel. Just note that at least as of a couple of years ago, the St. James Park Tube station across the street is not "step free," so you will need to get your luggage up and down the stairs there. We managed it, but it was a bit of a pain.

29 minutes ago, taxatty said:

I'm guessing that you're staying at the Conrad, which is an excellent hotel. Just note that at least as of a couple of years ago, the St. James Park Tube station across the street is not "step free," so you will need to get your luggage up and down the stairs there. We managed it, but it was a bit of a pain.

Thanks taxatty for that detailed information. Yes, we are at the Conrad.

While the situation is fluid, we have decided to take the Tube. 

In the past, we have enjoyed the black Cabs. It's a fun way to start the trip. Unfortunately, our flight lands at 6:45AM, so by the time we deplane, clear customs and collect our bags it will likely be the peak of rush hour. With the London Express stopping at Paddington Station, it really doesn't work with our hotel location. The down side of the Tube is that we will have to change lines at the South Kensington station. However, this is a small station and should not be too bad. Hiking up the steps at the the St James Park station should help prepare us for self disembarkation in NYC😀

We will probably Uber from the ship to LGA but keep the number for Dial 7 handy as a backup.

My thanks to everyone for your help. 

Jack

It really depends on how fit you are.

On another thread Jack is considering walking from hotel to cruise terminal, therefore I would guess they consider themselves fit enough to haul luggage about.

We always take the Piccadilly Line between Heathrow T5 and Covent Garden or Holborn when we visit my sister unless the tube is on strike. We have one small wheeled case full of wine and cheese and a full cabin sized backpack each. We see many travellers with huge luggage items using the tube as well.

Incidentally I always carry the case to protect it's wheels and I also find I can move faster through large crowds without the trouble of wheeling it behind me.

The wheels are there for my wife when travelling alone.

35 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

The down side of the Tube is that we will have to change lines at the South Kensington station.

Better to change at Hammersmith as suggested by BigMac1953. It should be an easy cross platform change. And you're more likely to get a seat on the 2nd train.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/lhr_underground.htm  specifically advises against changing at: Earls Court and South Kensington.

If you decide to take a cab from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, use the lime green NYC cabs if one is available. They are restricted to pick-ups in the outer boroughs (everywhere BUT Manhattan) and they usually most efficient within Brooklyn and Queens.