Honest reviews on MDR beef dishes?

baelor

Thanks for the additional responses!

8 minutes ago, topnole said:

I would do chops over wonderland and hooked over Jamie’s.  Definitely read some reviews of wonderland (good and bad). 

Wonderland seems really fun for us--the menu seems inventive and we like molecular gastronomy.

I can make another thread about Wonderland, but I have had a hard time finding actual criticisms, more just bottom-line conclusions like, "I didn't like it."

Just now, baelor said:

Thanks for the additional responses!

Wonderland seems really fun for us--the menu seems inventive and we like molecular gastronomy.

I can make another thread about Wonderland, but I have had a hard time finding actual criticisms, more just bottom-line conclusions like, "I didn't like it."

Seems to be a love hate thing.  Sounds like you might love it.  I’d do it in your case.  

25 minutes ago, baelor said:

Thanks.  I think our inclination at this point is to skip Chops and opt for 150 CP, Wonderland, and a third restaurant (maybe either Jamie's or Hooked).

Chops would be the first speciality restaurant I would pick. I think all of RCI’s speciality restaurants are very good with the exception of Wonderland. Wonderland is the one speciality restaurant I will never go to again. 

28 minutes ago, baelor said:

Yeah that seems to be the case.  Out of the more American/French/steak-style restaurants on board, its menu was the most appealing.  I guess some view it as fancy or frou frou but its menu seems pretty unpretentious but good.

I ordered the beet salad and was so looking forward to it and it came out as literally 10 tiny pieces of food on a plate. No lettuce just like 3 candied nuts, 3 pieces of beets and a couple tiny balls of cheese. So yes some of the menu items are ridiculously pretentious. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

150 Central Park generally is the highest rated specialty restaurant (of those that interest me)   I found it to be true on my last cruise.   We absolutely loved it, great atmosphere, exceptional service & quality plating.  We really enjoyed our meal there.

You won’t be disappointed with 150 Central Park!  We agree

13 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I ordered the beet salad and was so looking forward to it and it came out as literally 10 tiny pieces of food on a plate. No lettuce just like 3 candied nuts, 3 pieces of beets and a couple tiny balls of cheese. So yes some of the menu items are ridiculously pretentious.

That does not sound pretentious at all; beet salad at most nice restaurants does not come with lettuce anyway.  I am not sure why you think that is ridiculously pretentious.  What you got is what I would expect if I ordered the beet salad off the menu.  I would be surprised (and disappointed, honestly) if the quality of the beets and cheese was concealed by the lettuce.

Edited by baelor

12 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

My wife has ordered beet salad recently and it had lettuce.

Edited by smokeybandit

33 minutes ago, chiguy67 said:

150, Chops and Hooked are all great on Symphony. Izumi is good as well. Jamie’s and Wonderland were ok. 

I would pick izumi. I like their menu. I've always enjoyed chops but always get surf and turf. I'm boring. I want lobster. 

To me Wonderland wasn’t really like going out for dinner but more of a gimmicky show.

You don’t really get to pick what you want to eat even though they act like you can. They pretty much bring everyone the same thing no matter what you tell them. (If you don’t have allergies)

For appetizers they give you a teaspoon of some liquidity thing they call liquid lobster which was tasteless. There’s a test tube with cloudy water that they say is something to do with tomatoes. They give you a small cone filled with basically water down guacamole whipped to look like ice cream that again was pretty tasteless. They give you one shrimp that’s fried in a ton of idk what it was but they called it a birds nest. It tasted alright but way too much of the nest. I can’t remember which entree I had but I didn’t like it. My husband had fish which I usually don’t like but his was actually the best thing I ate there.

Basically it’s all about the presentation. I never went back but to each their own.

9 minutes ago, baelor said:

That does not sound pretentious at all; beet salad at most nice restaurants does not come with lettuce anyway.  I am not sure why you think that is ridiculously pretentious.  What you got is what I would expect if I ordered the beet salad off the menu.  I would be surprised (and disappointed, honestly) if the quality of the beets and cheese was concealed by the lettuce.

😂 order it hungry and see what you think. I order the beet and goat cheese salad everywhere I go that has it and it’s always on some sort of green. 

8 minutes ago, baelor said:

Beet salad at 150 Central Park on Symphony. I don’t love beets, I don’t hate them. I’m kind of “take them or leave them.” That being said, I thought the beet salad was pretty good. 

9B753F41-D5D1-448F-8A37-109856B2E221.thumb.jpeg.8a1d56e07d355e3acf2ca15a344743a6.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

To me Wonderland wasn’t really like going out for dinner but more of a gimmicky show.

You don’t really get to pick what you want to eat even though they act like you can. They pretty much bring everyone the same thing no matter what you tell them. (If you don’t have allergies)

For appetizers they give you a teaspoon of some liquidity thing they call liquid lobster which was tasteless. There’s a test tube with cloudy water that they say is something to do with tomatoes. They give you a small cone filled with basically water down guacamole whipped to look like ice cream that again was pretty tasteless. They give you one shrimp that’s fried in a ton of idk what it was but they called it a birds nest. It tasted alright but way too much of the nest. I can’t remember which entree I had but I didn’t like it. My husband had fish which I usually don’t like but his was actually the best thing I ate there.

Basically it’s all about the presentation. I never went back but to each their own.

Thanks; that is helpful!  I appreciate hearing about specific dishes and what worked/didn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Beet salad at 150 Central Park on Symphony. I don’t love beets, I don’t hate them. I’m kind of “take them or leave them.” That being said, I thought the beet salad was pretty good. 

That looks delicious, and I love the plating!

1 minute ago, aring75 said:

9B753F41-D5D1-448F-8A37-109856B2E221.thumb.jpeg.8a1d56e07d355e3acf2ca15a344743a6.jpeg

First of all that’s bigger and more food than I got and I didn’t say it tasted bad I said it was ridiculously pretentious. If I order a salad off a salad menu I don’t expect to be served individual pieces of food on a plate but to each their own.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Do they count the beets?  I too remembered the "Beet Salad" had 3 tiny cubes of beets in it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, baelor said:

Again, pretty standard for beet salad.  Here are pictures.

I am blessed to live in an area with great food. I know what a beet and goat cheese salad should look like. I was just trying to help you. The salad pictured above is about double the food I got and yes I thought it was pretentious to call that a salad.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

know what a beet and goat cheese salad should look like.  I thought it was pretentious to call that a salad.

Okay.  That is what I expect when I order a beet salad and is what a beet and goat cheese salad should look like, so I guess it does not come across as pretentious to me at all.  Different strokes.

• Like 1