A Fractured LIVE - Fractured My Ankle on Carnival Spirit - In hospital in Cartagena

TravelBluebird

I am very sorry you had such a terrible accident. I wish a quick recovery for you and a safe journey home.

Now I'd like to present the safety message for the rest of you:

"Here on Carnival Cruise Lines safety is our most important concern. 

Please watch your step, but don't step on your watch.

If you step on your watch, you might break it.

If you break your watch, that would be a complete waste of time!"

• Haha 5

Oh no, I was so excited for your review and I hate that it's ending up like this. 

Regarding flights, American Airlines might be your best bet with only one stopover in Miami. 

I hope your surgery goes well tonight! Make sure you ask for a "cafe fuerte" (strong coffee) tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

Oh my!! I broke my ankle 3 days before cruise and had to reschedule. It didn’t look nearly as mangled as yours. Had surgery, have titanium rod now but healing well and back to cruising now. Best wishes

for successful and uneventful, quick healing. 

• Like 1

I hope someone commented on how nice your pedicure looks. I love your toenail colour.  
Along with all the others, I wish a speedy and safe recovery for you. Hope the surgery goes well and you’re home soon!  🤞 ❤️

• Like 1

In the hospital room now post operation and post recovery room.

Didn’t want you all to worry—operation was a success!  At the moment blissfully pain free due to a nerve block.

At one point our passports were returned to DH by Luis our local Carnival liaison .  He completed immigration for us We have passport stamps—was a $40 fee pp

Off to sleep (I hope) Thank you all SO much for your well wishes, helpful suggestions, and good  humor.  Really meant a lot to me on my most difficult cruising day ever. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Oh wow....what a terrible accident but happy that you are in a place where you can receive good care. Prayers and best wishes for a tolerable journey home and a speedy recovery!

And as someone else mentioned this is a good example of why trip insurance is so important (says the person who is traveling with insurance for the FIRST time in 19 cruises this fall LOL - do as I say, not as I do!)....but it's also a good example of why it's so important to have a passport when cruising even if the cruise itself does not require it! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Oh wow....what a terrible accident but happy that you are in a place where you can receive good care. Prayers and best wishes for a tolerable journey home and a speedy recovery!

And as someone else mentioned this is a good example of why trip insurance is so important (says the person who is traveling with insurance for the FIRST time in 19 cruises this fall LOL - do as I say, not as I do!)....but it's also a good example of why it's so important to have a passport when cruising even if the cruise itself does not require it! 

Yes, so true. And I may sound smug about having the travel medical insurance BUT the first time I ever cruised with it was on Celebrity in September! It was COVID that moved me off my butt to do it. So, basically, And now I realize how badly I was rolling the dice.

And I so agree with always traveling with passports! We want to take our grandchildren on a cruise, and we have insisted they have their passports first..

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TravelBluebird said:

Yes, so true. And I may sound smug about having the travel medical insurance BUT the first time I ever cruised with it was on Celebrity in September! It was COVID that moved me off my butt to do it. So, basically, And now I realize how badly I was rolling the dice.

And I so agree with always traveling with passports! We want to take our grandchildren on a cruise, and we have insisted they have their passports first..

It was also COVID and going thru the whole cruise cancellation process that pushed me to get insurance for our next cruise! Not going to chance it! And now that I'm closer to 50 than 40, I figure I'm more liable to need it! 

My older sister was on a cruise with me a few years ago and we did a tour to Blue Hole in Jamaica. if you're not familiar with Blue Hole, you are able to do jumps off of different sized cliffs. My sis booked the tour but didn't intend to do the jumps just wanted to see this beautiful place and did the walking part with us. She didn't want to jump because one of shoulders was prone to dislocation. At the last minute, she decided to the last jump as it was a really small one...not very high AT ALL! As soon as she came to the surface after jumping, you could tell she was in alot of pain and she was holding her shoulder! Our tour guides at the park were amazing as one literally carried her out of the water and across the rocks and got her to our van. Our driver was so careful on those bouncy gravel roads getting us back to the ship as safely as possible! And she went straight to the ship's medical center where they were able to reset it and give her some Morphine for the pain! She came to dinner that night in a sling and loopy from the meds....but all things considered in pretty good shape! Things can and will happen! Just need to be reasonably prepared when they do! 

Continued good wishes to you! 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

It was also COVID and going thru the whole cruise cancellation process that pushed me to get insurance for our next cruise! Not going to chance it! And now that I'm closer to 50 than 40, I figure I'm more liable to need it! 

My older sister was on a cruise with me a few years ago and we did a tour to Blue Hole in Jamaica. if you're not familiar with Blue Hole, you are able to do jumps off of different sized cliffs. My sis booked the tour but didn't intend to do the jumps just wanted to see this beautiful place and did the walking part with us. She didn't want to jump because one of shoulders was prone to dislocation. At the last minute, she decided to the last jump as it was a really small one...not very high AT ALL! As soon as she came to the surface after jumping, you could tell she was in alot of pain and she was holding her shoulder! Our tour guides at the park were amazing as one literally carried her out of the water and across the rocks and got her to our van. Our driver was so careful on those bouncy gravel roads getting us back to the ship as safely as possible! And she went straight to the ship's medical center where they were able to reset it and give her some Morphine for the pain! She came to dinner that night in a sling and loopy from the meds....but all things considered in pretty good shape! Things can and will happen! Just need to be reasonably prepared when they do! 

Continued good wishes to you! 

Yes; reasonably prepared is the key. Gosh your poor sister; so painful! But at least a dislocation can be taken care of on the ship.  If mine had just been dislocated, I would be cruising the Panama Canal today.

And after posting my experience on my personal social media, at least 3 other friends (all women 55-70) have recently broken their ankles. Plus my sister in law. Stupidly common accident. All active women so that won’t protect you. It just takes some uneven pavement in the Jungle in Costa Rica, or slippery pavement in Nassau. Or one bad step on the Carnival Spirit stairs 😭

I’m usually SO careful going down stairs (I have a 3 level house; never fell once) and take the stairs EVERYWHERE on the ships. FULL ATTENTION for me on the stairs from now on; since I don’t really know how the accident happened, I must have had my head in my excitement of being in South America/Columbia for the first time. And be extra careful on those gangway steps on some of the older ships like the Spirit...those stairs were super hard and unforgiving, (smashed my ankle on the edge of a step)  and I think there was just 1 bannister.  At least where we were accessing the gangway, the elevator only went to level 1 and we were headed to A.

• Like 5