Bacon comparison - Now & Then

cruzin4us

42 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

What about cabin cleaning every 2-3 days? That could save the cruise lines money.

Ridiculous.  How about I use my towel 6 times.  Everything can save the cruise line money, but honestly, my cabin stewards took this one day service seriously, and didn't come to pick up the used towels in the evenings. I don't like wet towels in my bathroom at home; why would I want them in my bathroom on a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK...   Totally confused here.  (But what else is new?   I "assume" bacon is still available at the buffet in the mornings.   So this must be a new thing at the "upcharge" restaurants?   I simply can't get my head wrapped around it.  (For this poor old boomer, bacon is a BREAKFAST staple, right????)

7 minutes ago, FredT said:

OK...   Totally confused here.  (But what else is new?   I "assume" bacon is still available at the buffet in the mornings.   So this must be a new thing at the "upcharge" restaurants?   I simply can't get my head wrapped around it.  (For this poor old boomer, bacon is a BREAKFAST staple, right????)

If done properly with the right cut of bacon it’s a sweetened coated strip of bacon that can be a delicious appetizer. 

This is not “supposed” to be a fatty breakfast type strip piece of bacon hanging presentation. David Burke, the chef who created this appetizer is one of top rated creative  chefs in America.

It was so good on our first try that we tried to duplicate the recipe on our return to home and it was close.

Bottom line; you don’t have to choose this,  if prepared right,  it’s a delicious appetizer.

If the presentation came across as a typical bacon strip then the Pinnacle Grill failed.

• Like 4

I look forward to ordering this item on the next cruise.  Hopefully it will be dripping in the maple syrup, not fat.

What I never quite understood is why they pair it with some odd tasting pickles.  Maybe a true dill pickle would work but the ones served missed badly.

Edited by sansterre

4 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

What about cabin cleaning every 2-3 days? That could save the cruise lines money.

Nope, not for me.  I don’t like to cause others work so I was going to be ok with once a day cabin cleaning.  Then a poster I respect on this board pointed out the same thing.  They will keep pushing and pushing until pretty much everything is gone.  If the cheerleaders or people that get free cruises want to accept thats fine.  I pay a pretty penny for a bread and butter cruise.  I’m not going to accept what I don’t have to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

I look forward to ordering this item on the next cruise.  Hopefully it will be dripping in the maple syrup, not fat.

What I never quite understood is why they pair it with some odd tasting pickles.  Maybe a true dill pickle would work but the ones served missed badly.

I’d take the pickles any day over this.  Why cover something perfectly yummy with a candy coating?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, albingirl said:

Ridiculous.  How about I use my towel 6 times.  Everything can save the cruise line money, but honestly, my cabin stewards took this one day service seriously, and didn't come to pick up the used towels in the evenings. I don't like wet towels in my bathroom at home; why would I want them in my bathroom on a cruise. 

Exactly 100 percent.  Maybe people live with wet towels on their floor or maybe they don’t shower 😛.  I’ve smelled a few that didn’t seem to.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, albingirl said:

How about I use my towel 6 times. 

Recently read a report of a person that used their bath towels several times who developed Ringworm as a result.  Or, at least, that is what the person's doctor diagnosed was the reason.  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Recently read a report of a person that used their bath towels several times who developed Ringworm as a result.  Or, at least, that is what the person's doctor diagnosed was the reason.  

Gross.  My ex husband used to use his towel until it walked itself into the laundry basket 🤮.  Me, one and done at home.  Same on the ship.

• Like 2

Okay, really? LOL, bacon comparison?  Um, so we just disembarked from a 45 night back to back and we ordered this at the Pinnacle just to check it out. It is a simple appetizer, among many. It was all good fun. I ate every bit of it. It was a fun novelty. You can order many of them. We had four juicy pieces, two each. But it is not always about the food for me on a ship. It is the experience and I would never dare compare it to anything else. I am into it for more than the Pinnacle, MDR or Canaletto. I dare not compare the quality of the bacon, or the number of shrimp and ad nauseum accounts of what is not better than before, or what is lacking or what is -insert complaint here... With all due respect to free speech, free enterprise, open opinion and open forum I am in for being able to cruise again, and the experience is worth it for me. Period. I am thankful for having been able to take a 45 night cruise Covid free, meeting some amazing people, having some amazing table mates, going on some killer excursions,  seeing some amazing sights, getting rocked to sleep each night, seeing some fabulous sunrise/sunsets, and just to be able to be on board again was amazing. Wishing that everyone whom is able can try this bacon close line thingie, but if you cant, try the lunch, it is terrific! That being said, wishing you all the best, happy cruising and happy everything. Any day at sea is better than nothing. All our best. May your next cruise be your best cruise. Take care and be well 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tuolumne couple said:

Okay, really? LOL, bacon comparison?  Um, so we just disembarked from a 45 night back to back and we ordered this at the Pinnacle just to check it out. It is a simple appetizer, among many. It was all good fun. I ate every bit of it. It was a fun novelty. You can order many of them. We had four juicy pieces, two each. But it is not always about the food for me on a ship. It is the experience and I would never dare compare it to anything else. I am into it for more than the Pinnacle, MDR or Canaletto. I dare not compare the quality of the bacon, or the number of shrimp and ad nauseum accounts of what is not better than before, or what is lacking or what is -insert complaint here... With all due respect to free speech, free enterprise, open opinion and open forum I am in for being able to cruise again, and the experience is worth it for me. Period. I am thankful for having been able to take a 45 night cruise Covid free, meeting some amazing people, having some amazing table mates, going on some killer excursions,  seeing some amazing sights, getting rocked to sleep each night, seeing some fabulous sunrise/sunsets, and just to be able to be on board again was amazing. Wishing that everyone whom is able can try this bacon close line thingie, but if you cant, try the lunch, it is terrific! That being said, wishing you all the best, happy cruising and happy everything. Any day at sea is better than nothing. All our best. May your next cruise be your best cruise. Take care and be well 🙂

What a great perception. Thanks for your posting!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Interesting how eating candied bacon makes you open minded 🤪.  What a concept 😂.  The things you read on cc.  Hilarious.

LOL, I learn something every day here! It is entertaining, particularly since the world is so gloomy these days.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What a concept 😂.  The things you read on cc.  Hilarious.

24 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I learn something every day here! It is entertaining, particularly since the world is so gloomy these days.

And, informative as well as being entertaining!  

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, whogo said:

Thanks for the link, ShipWalker. None of the photos look like they started as 1/4" thick slices, I think that is a misprint.

Not a misprint. A 1/4” thick slice should render down beautifully, and when torched at the end have a wonderful slightly brulee-like crisp glaze.

We enjoyed what they served us in the Pinnacle, but I don’t think they started with 1/4”. I doubt 1/4” is what is shown in the OP’s photos either.

Nowadays, even the local chain breakfast place serves candied bacon / (“millionaires bacon” as it’s sometimes called)… so being served breakfast slices instead of premium cuts of 1/4” bacon is particularly noticeable. The $50 up-charge without a commensurate increase in food quality makes it even more noticeable.

On 4/23/2022 at 3:31 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’d take the pickles any day over this.  Why cover something perfectly yummy with a candy coating?

Candied bacon can be seen as an offshoot of many gourmet preparations of pork belly in a sweet sauce in many types of Asian cuisine. The “why” is probably it’s wild popularity.

Food is such a unique thing in that you have to risk not liking something you’ve tasted in order to be a qualified opinion. Candy covered bacon is likely as odd to you as a sweet pumpkin pie is to an Australian.

Have you tried it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMattT said:

Not a misprint. A 1/4” thick slice should render down beautifully, and when torched at the end have a wonderful slightly brulee-like crisp glaze.

We enjoyed what they served us in the Pinnacle, but I don’t think they started with 1/4”. I doubt 1/4” is what is shown in the OP’s photos either.

Nowadays, even the local chain breakfast place serves candied bacon / (“millionaires bacon” as it’s sometimes called)… so being served breakfast slices instead of premium cuts of 1/4” bacon is particularly noticeable. The $50 up-charge without a commensurate increase in food quality makes it even more noticeable.

Candied bacon can be seen as an offshoot of many gourmet preparations of pork belly in a sweet sauce in many types of Asian cuisine. The “why” is probably it’s wild popularity.

Food is such a unique thing in that you have to risk not liking something you’ve tasted in order to be a qualified opinion. Candy covered bacon is likely as odd to you as a sweet pumpkin pie is to an Australian.

Have you tried it?

Yes of course I have.  I wouldn’t comment on something I knew nothing about.  Just because chefs do it doesn’t make it a good idea. By the way I think pumpkin pie is disgusting, and it is odd.