Pinnacle Gala Dining Experience

Dunmore2

For those who have sailed recently, is the Pinnacle Gala meal usually held on a Gala night in the MDR? ie, are they the same day or not? I’m inquiring about a 14 day transatlantic if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Dunmore2 said:

For those who have sailed recently, is the Pinnacle Gala meal usually held on a Gala night in the MDR? ie, are they the same day or not? I’m inquiring about a 14 day transatlantic if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

The two are separate. Pinnacle Gala is a special pay extra dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and “Gala Night” is separate. They should gave named the extra cost dinner in Pinnacle Grill a different name as it has caused much confusion.

• Like 1

From the HAL website.  They also give a sample menu.

Oops, posted at the same time as VictOriann!

PINNACLE GALA DINING EXPERIENCE

• Dinner
  •  
  • $142.00

Enjoy this one-night-only event created for those who delight in social connection, fine dining, and perfect details. The evening begins with cocktails, continues with the cruise’s most exceptional 6-course menu paired with world class wine. You won’t want to miss Pinnacle Gala!

pinnacle-gala-sample menu.pdf

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 2

It's really expensive, with the tip it works out to $142 pp.  The menu was not very exciting, I thought, and only three wines. (Someone said the menu might change.)

IMG_0365.thumb.jpeg.0aed701d40c80e7f3ef811716e2093ba.jpeg

No chef or cellar master presentations.  There was a sort of "light show" projected onto the walls.

(And before the dinner there were drinks and three little appetizers in a bar.)

This was last October on Eurodam...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did this Gala dinner on our last year Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. Maybe it was new onboard but we were disappointed and would not do again unless menu has changed.The Tempura Squash Salad was terrible and the fried steamed bun with caviar was unimpressive. 

Hopefully, with time it has improved.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

For those who have done the Pinnacle Gala Dinner, please tell us more.  Is it food and wine pairing?  Are there chef and sommelier presentations?  Is it a select group dining together?  What is the charge and is it worth it?

Here is my detailed post about my experience in March on the Zuiderdam 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2834188-35-days-to-the-south-pacific-with-the-inside-cabin-live-from-the-zuiderdam/?do=findComment&comment=62897399

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the detailed information. I wonder if there’ll be both a Pinnacle Gala as well as a Cellar Masters event on a 14 day transatlantic, a considerably shorter cruise than your South Pacific adventure.

24 minutes ago, Dunmore2 said:

Thanks for the detailed information. I wonder if there’ll be both a Pinnacle Gala as well as a Cellar Masters event on a 14 day transatlantic, a considerably shorter cruise than your South Pacific adventure.

B.C. (Before Covid) there was a Cellar Master as long as the cruise was 10 days or more.  But, there was no Pinnacle Gala back then.  I haven’t heard any reports of the Cellar Master dinner since the ships re-started.  I hope I am wrong but I fear the Pinnacle Gala is replacing it. 

It there is a Cellar Master, I highly recommend it.  I’ve been to a number and they have all been very good and enjoyable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

B.C. (Before Covid) there was a Cellar Master as long as the cruise was 10 days or more.  But, there was no Pinnacle Gala back then.  I haven’t heard any reports of the Cellar Master dinner since the ships re-started.  I hope I am wrong but I fear the Pinnacle Gala is replacing it. 

It there is a Cellar Master, I highly recommend it.  I’ve been to a number and they have all been very good and enjoyable.

There was a Cellar Master Dinner on the 35 day South Pacific on the Zuiderdam. We really enjoyed the experience. The wines and pairings were very interesting. The food was excellent. There is no Mariner Discount. $85 plus 18% tip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dchip said:

There was a Cellar Master Dinner on the 35 day South Pacific on the Zuiderdam. We really enjoyed the experience. The wines and pairings were very interesting. The food was excellent. There is no Mariner Discount. $85 plus 18% tip. 

That will be good if they are replacing the Pinnacle Gala with the Cellar Master dinner.

On Koningsdam in January it was held on the third Gala Night.

To my mind this makes sense.  Inviting people to dress up (and in my experience this was the dressiest crowd I've seen on a HAL ship other than New Year's Eve), on a night when the rest of the ship isn't dressing up creates a mismatch.