Covid testing-Grand in Vancouver this weekend

Buckeye10640

Anyone on the Grand and disembarked in Vancouver this weekend? Wondering about Covid testing to fly back to US.  Did you use your own proctored tests onboard, Princess testing at the pier, testing at the airport?  We are traveling in a few weeks and considering the options. Thanks and hope you had a great cruise!

Edited by Buckeye10640

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Anyone on the Grand and disembarked in Vancouver this weekend? Wondering about Covid testing to fly back to US.  Did you use your own proctored tests onboard, Princess testing at the pier, testing at the airport?  We are traveling in a few weeks and considering the options. Thanks and hope you had a great cruise!

I would be careful to make sure that you have adequate bandwidth to take a proctored test.  We had some problems with bandwidth at our hotel room.

This may help (from princess’ FAQ “after you sail”)

If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. Subject to availability, COVID-19 tests will be administered within or just outside the terminal. Antigen test results are available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results are available in approximately 60 minutes. Plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online.

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

I would be careful to make sure that you have adequate bandwidth to take a proctored test.  We had some problems with bandwidth at our hotel room.

Understood.  There is absolutely no way to know. That is  why I am checking for anyone with actual experience in any of the options this weekend. Specific to disembarking in Vancouver. 

I was concerned about this  as well.  I emailed the hotel to ask that very question. This was for a European trip, however. The response was they would help if necessary.  I guess that might mean using their business center or hotel computers. 

Edited by milolii

13 minutes ago, ehogan said:

This may help (from princess’ FAQ “after you sail”)

If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. Subject to availability, COVID-19 tests will be administered within or just outside the terminal. Antigen test results are available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results are available in approximately 60 minutes. Plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online.

Hi thanks for reply. I have read this and know the options. I am looking for anyone with actual experience with them in Vancouver this weekend. 

Oh wow. I guess I'm not up on current northwest travel! Hopefully someone will reply about covid tests at the port! I want to know as well since we are doing the Alaska Southbound trip June 1. 

Edited by erber

Cheryl H- gives an excellent description of the process - Grand in Vancouver yesterday. It is on the Princess Passengers Facebook page.

she was returned to US day she disembarked. Was tested on-board day before.

thise staying in Canada after cruise were not offered test on-board.

read rest in fb.

Some of us aren't on Facebook so if someone can provide any details here that would be helpful. Are you saying the post said  Princess tested passengers on board the day before OR did people on board do their own Emed testing the day before? Just want to clarify because Princess website did not state any on board testing would be provided to passengers returning directly to the U.S. In fact it stated you could bring the proctored tests on board and do them using the internet. So,  if Princess is going to provide on board testing now for passengers, that would be incredibly helpful. 

Edited by erber

33 minutes ago, erber said:

Some of us aren't on Facebook so if someone can provide any details here that would be helpful. Are you saying the post said  Princess tested passengers on board the day before OR did people on board do their own Emed testing the day before? Just want to clarify because Princess website did not state any on board testing would be provided to passengers returning directly to the U.S. In fact it stated you could bring the proctored tests on board and do them using the internet. So,  if Princess is going to provide on board testing now for passengers, that would be incredibly helpful. 

I am saying there is first- hand information by Cheryl H.

I am not repeating it.  Maybe someone else will help.

2 hours ago, dog said:

Cheryl H- gives an excellent description of the process - Grand in Vancouver yesterday. It is on the Princess Passengers Facebook page.

she was returned to US day she disembarked. Was tested on-board day before.

thise staying in Canada after cruise were not offered test on-board.

read rest in fb.

Thanks I knew she was sailing but had not seen her post yet. I will go look for it!

• Like 1

Not Princess, but I just got off NCL on Friday and they were offering free testing on the ship for anyone that required it to return home. If you do need to get your own test, be prepared that Vancouver pricing for tests is way more than US! You will find lots of options at the airport, plus there is a private clinic at the Fairmont across from the port https://www.empowerclinics.com/covid-19-testing/

Personally, I would just do a proctored rapid test - less expensive and you can do it yourself! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, erber said:

Short answer is, its been reported (at least on this sailing) on board testing  was made available the day before disembarkation to those flying home ON DAY OF DISEMBARKATION only, who needed it as a condition to fly home. I dont have any further details and dont know how they checked to verify people met this criteria, but it sounds promising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Not Princess, but I just got off NCL on Friday and they were offering free testing on the ship for anyone that required it to return home. If you do need to get your own test, be prepared that Vancouver pricing for tests is way more than US! You will find lots of options at the airport, plus there is a private clinic at the Fairmont across from the port https://www.empowerclinics.com/covid-19-testing/

Personally, I would just do a proctored rapid test - less expensive and you can do it yourself! 

When you were comparing Canadian and US pricing did you factor in the current foreign exchange rate??

2 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Short answer is, its been reported (at least on this sailing) on board testing  was made available the day before disembarkation to those flying home ON DAY OF DISEMBARKATION only, who needed it as a condition to fly home. I dont have any further details and dont know how they checked to verify people met this criteria, but it sounds promising.

This is very promising. We are departing the day of disembarkation so I am hopeful we could use this option! We probably still will bring back up Emed testing kits. 

Edited by erber

We are very interested in real life recent experience as well. Like some others, I don't have a FB account so can't look at the referenced posts.  We are booked through EZ Air to fly back to the US the day after disembarkation. does this mean Princess won't cover our testing?

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We are very interested in real life recent experience as well. Like some others, I don't have a FB account so can't look at the referenced posts.  We are booked through EZ Air to fly back to the US the day after disembarkation. does this mean Princess won't cover our testing?

We do not know. Cheryl H. Who Buckeye and I are referring to on fb is the only one reporting this, so far.

ni point speculating, as things change frequently.

also go to Canadians cruiser forum on cruise critic for info.