ANZAC Day 2022

56 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I liked the way they told the story on loudspeaker from watchtower and had story boards so you could picture the camp, its inmates and the outbreak. 
Cowra is worth a few days’ stay.  We stayed at the Outbreak Motel in luxury after camping 

The museum in town is also good re the breakout etc, they have a sort of animated display. I stayed at the new motel opposite corner to the RSL, part of RSL. If you like gardens the Cowra Japanese Gardens are worth a visit.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Just now, NSWP said:

The museum in town is also good re the breakout etc, they have a sort of animated display. I stayed at the new motel opposite corner to the RSL, part of RSL.

It was booked out so they phoned Outbreak for us.  BTW Hotel diagonally opposite had great meals. I couldn’t resist Sausages and mash with broccolini for $10 on a cold stormy night.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Penned by Dr. John McCrae.  We visited his "surgery", a small bunker outside of which he had the terrible task of which of many, many wounded young soldiers lined up outside on stretchers.  Ypres was the most moving and emotional tour we have ever done.  He was wounded and died not that long after.  My mother's first husband was killed at Sanananda on Kokoda.  They were married only six months.  She joined the Air Force immediately after his death, and met my father after the war.  My father fought at Milne Bay and Balikpapan.  Anzac Day has always been a sacred day in our family.  Lest we forget🌹

A relative of mine was also killed on the Buna- Sananda rd, died 18/01/43.

2/10 Aust Inf Bt.

He was buried on the side of road then reburied at Bomana Port Moresby. He had also just been married in  1942. He was 23yrs old, no children and I doubt any relatives have visited his grave.

We were planning a trip to PNG by air before the world locked down...to visit his grave there. The closest I  got was sailing into Milne Bay on ANZAC day on the Dawn Princess which was where they were off loaded.

I also have a couple of relatives that died in France, one that died on what was called ANZAC ridge, they placed a cross on a grave where he was killed along with another and when they came back after the war they could not locate his body.

He is memorialised at the Menin Gate Ypres. He left a wife and 5 children.

Other relatives were Light horse men in South Africa/Egypt, one is buried there.

God bless all their souls.

My Dad was in the Navy (after WW2) and Grandfather Army (WW2) based in Darwin.

32 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

A relative of mine was also killed on the Buna- Sananda rd, died 18/01/43.

2/10 Aust Inf Bt.

He was buried on the side of road then reburied at Bomana Port Moresby. He had also just been married in  1942. He was 23yrs old, no children and I doubt any relatives have visited his grave.

We were planning a trip to PNG by air before the world locked down...to visit his grave there. The closest I  got was sailing into Milne Bay on ANZAC day on the Dawn Princess which was where they were off loaded.

I also have a couple of relatives that died in France, one that died on what was called ANZAC ridge, they placed a cross on a grave where he was killed along with another and when they came back after the war they could not locate his body.

He is memorialised at the Menin Gate Ypres. He left a wife and 5 children.

Other relatives were Light horse men in South Africa/Egypt, one is buried there.

God bless all their souls.

My Dad was in the Navy (after WW2) and Grandfather Army (WW2) based in Darwin.

That's uncanny.  Gavan (2/7 Cavalry Commando Regiment) died in courageous circumstances in an ambush on 19/12/42, just thirty days before your relative.  He was also buried where he fell, and was also reinterred in Bomana.  I had hoped to take my mother to visit his grave, but the journey was never to be.  Instead, friends who were on a posting to PNG delivered her letter to his grave.  It was buried in his grave in a moving ceremony, complete with a guard of honour.  

The Menin Gate is a hauntingly beautiful shrine.  I hope that one day your relative's remains are found so they may be buried with respect.  Yes, we need to be so thankful for the incredible courage of all who served, including those who returned after conflict, and those who also served in peacetime.

To return to cruising, our visit to Ypres was during a cruise, and our guide was incredibly knowledgeable.  It makes all the difference.  I still intend to visit Bomana one day, and maybe the best way to do that is again a cruise.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

That's uncanny.  Gavan (2/7 Cavalry Commando Regiment) died in courageous circumstances in an ambush on 19/12/42, just thirty days before your relative.  He was also buried where he fell, and was also reinterred in Bomana.  I had hoped to take my mother to visit his grave, but the journey was never to be.  Instead, friends who were on a posting to PNG delivered her letter to his grave.  It was buried in his grave in a moving ceremony, complete with a guard of honour.  

The Menin Gate is a hauntingly beautiful shrine.  I hope that one day your relative's remains are found so they may be buried with respect.  Yes, we need to be so thankful for the incredible courage of all who served, including those who returned after conflict, and those who also served in peacetime.

To return to cruising, our visit to Ypres was during a cruise, and our guide was incredibly knowledgeable.  It makes all the difference.  I still intend to visit Bomana one day, and maybe the best way to do that is again a cruise.

Yes, it is uncanny. The Battle of Buna/Gona went from 16th Nov 1942 to 22nd Jan 1943.

Ron was also ambushed while driving a vehicle.

I could not find a cruise that visited Port Moresby, although many used to in the Fairstar days!!, it is not a place most cruisers would like to visit. Rabaul and Honiara have lots of war history too.

We might make an overnight trip from Cairns whenever we head that way again......whenever we go anywhere again!!.

Would love to visit Menin Gate, add it to the list.

Most of our travels have revolved around war history in Asia and the South Pacific.

I think we are on topic.....this is the ANZAC thread!!

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Yes, it is uncanny. The Battle of Buna/Gona went from 16th Nov 1942 to 22nd Jan 1943.

Ron was also ambushed while driving a vehicle.

I could not find a cruise that visited Port Moresby, although many used to in the Fairstar days!!, it is not a place most cruisers would like to visit. Rabaul and Honiara have lots of war history too.

We might make an overnight trip from Cairns whenever we head that way again......whenever we go anywhere again!!.

Would love to visit Menin Gate, add it to the list.

Most of our travels have revolved around war history in Asia and the South Pacific.

I think we are on topic.....this is the ANZAC thread!!

Most cruises hold an ANZAC Day service on board if Aussies and Kiwis are on board

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1