ANZAC Day 2022

After 2 years without the Penrith Dawn Service due to COVID, & commemorating with a driveway at dawn event,  it was great to attend the service this morning & now having a quiet beer in remembrance at Penrith RSL 

Lest we forget

• Like 5

I am an RSL member, having served 3 years - 1963-66 in the British Army as a Royal Engineer Apprentice and 6 years with the Australian Citizens Military Forces - Provost Corps - 1967-1973 (now called Australian Army Reserve.) I just got back from the dawn service down here at Batemans Bay at our Cenotaph, about 500 people there. A quick breakfast at the Rissole and a rum and coffee, now back to bed.

If you have served in any defence force of the Commonwealth, i.e. Australian, British, NZ, Canadian etc you are entitled to join the Returned Services League. The ranks  are thinning.

LEST WE FORGET.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I am an RSL member, having served 3 years - 1963-66 in the British Army as a Royal Engineer Apprentice and 6 years with the Australian Citizens Military Forces - Provost Corps - 1967-1973 (now called Australian Army Reserve.) I just got back from the dawn service down here at Batemans Bay at our Cenotaph, about 500 people there. A quick breakfast at the Rissole and a rum and coffee, now back to bed.

If you have served in any defence force of the Commonwealth, i.e. Australian, British, NZ, Canadian etc you are entitled to join the Returned Services League. The ranks  are thinning.

LEST WE FORGET.

af2863_dca95504e0c8498990d748ea61a5d062_mv2.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our grandson laid a wreath on behalf of his school at a local ANZAC Day service and my husband with the help of our granddaughter laid a wreath on behalf of our firebrigade at the RSL service. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

Our grandson laid a wreath on behalf of his school at a local ANZAC Day service and my husband with the help of our granddaughter laid a wreath on behalf of our firebrigade at the RSL service. 

You must feel proud.  I’m always moved by family involvement In Anzac Day services. In my family it was a given,  so I was surprised when a visiting retired sailor from US was moved to tears by Brisbane’s large ANZAC Day March. He said we have nothing like this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

You must feel proud.  I’m always moved by family involvement In Anzac Day services. In my family it was a given,  so I was surprised when a visiting retired sailor from US was moved to tears by Brisbane’s large ANZAC Day March. He said we have nothing like this.

It was squally winds and rain at the GC so

no dawn service nor standing on

footpath with torch this year.  However I watched services all day starting from

Sydney Dawn Service to France.  My grandmother lost her young brother and young husband, who have never been forgotten. Her only son served in PNG.

• Like 1

Watched the services from Gallipoli and Villiers Bretoneuex (excuse the French)  IVery moving ceremonies. A highlight for me was the lovely singing by the RAAF and Army female soldiers at Gallipoli and by the Army female solider at Villiers. Great singers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It was squally winds and rain at the GC so

no dawn service nor standing on

footpath with torch this year.  However I watched services all day starting from

Sydney Dawn Service to France.  My grandmother lost her young brother and young husband, who have never been forgotten. Her only son served in PNG.

The big one at Currumbin was on? John Williamson normally plays. My sister and brother in law are surf club members there, they cook the bbq for after the service. Always a big day.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lest we forget.

For the first year in many we didn't do anything special, although we did watch the sun rise over the ocean from the Broadbeach apartment 

You up there with the...🍌🍍 peeps, Mic?

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

The big one at Currumbin was on? John Williamson normally plays. My sister and brother in law are surf club members there, they cook the bbq for after the service. Always a big day.

Yes I switched channels to watch.  Lots of empty seats due to weather I guess.  Usually booked out.  My favourite GC service used to be on the beachfront overlooking surf at Surfers Paradise I followed  by Gunfire Breakfast at RSL. Amusing moment when I mentioned to a RSL member that someone had taken the wreaths. No they reuse wreaths for later service. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Watched the services from Gallipoli and Villiers Bretoneuex (excuse the French)  IVery moving ceremonies. A highlight for me was the lovely singing by the RAAF and Army female soldiers at Gallipoli and by the Army female solider at Villiers. Great singers.

Yes they are always special services with beautiful music.  I love the Kiwi singing the best even though I’m a Aussie. 

• Like 1

I watched on TV this year - I have had a nasty cold (not Covid thank goodness) and didn't want to be out in the cold. I usually attend a service in our suburb at the little monument in the park at the river mouth. It is conducted by a couple of local people and children from the primary school. It is very moving. I watched the Currumbin service, then watched the Melbourne March, and the Galilpoli and Villiers Bretoneuex services.

The Beauty Spot , Victoria , Australia 

Carrum Foreshore Precinct - Melbourne

Edited by possum52
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes they are always special services with beautiful music.  I love the Kiwi singing the best even though I’m a Aussie. 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

between the crosses, row on row,

That mark your place, and in the sky

the larks still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I watched on TV this year - I have had a nasty cold (not Covid thank goodness) and didn't want to be out in the cold. I usually attend a service in our suburb at the little monument in the park at the river mouth. It is conducted by a couple of local people and children from the primary school. It is very moving. I watched the Currumbin service, then watched the Melbourne March, and the Galilpoli and Villiers Bretoneuex services.

The Beauty Spot , Victoria , Australia 

Carrum Foreshore Precinct - Melbourne

What a beautiful monument and location with water behind. I always read names on these monuments when I tour the country. This year we visited the actual site of the POW Camp and Japanese Outbreak. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 10:28 AM, MMDown Under said:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

between the crosses, row on row,

That mark your place, and in the sky

the larks still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Penned by Dr. John McCrae.  We visited his "surgery", a small bunker outside of which he had the terrible task of which of many, many wounded young soldiers lined up outside on stretchers.  Ypres was the most moving and emotional tour we have ever done.  He was wounded and died not that long after.  My mother's first husband was killed at Sanananda on Kokoda.  They were married only six months.  She joined the Air Force immediately after his death, and met my father after the war.  My father fought at Milne Bay and Balikpapan.  Anzac Day has always been a sacred day in our family.  Lest we forget🌹

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:14 AM, MMDown Under said:

The Kiwi anthem is haunting.

13 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Penned by Dr. John McCrae.  We visited his "surgery", a small bunker outside of which he had the terrible task of which of many, many wounded young soldiers lined up outside on stretchers.  Ypres was the most moving and emotional tour we have ever done.  He was wounded and died not that long after.  My mother's first husband was killed at Sanananda on Kokoda.  They were married only six months.  She joined the Air Force immediately after his death, and met my father after the war.  My father fought at Milne Bay and Balikpapan.  Anzac Day has always been a sacred day in our family.  Lest we forget🌹

Thanks for sharing as I didn’t know history.  Like you ANZAc Day was always sacred in our family devoted to remembering the sacrifices made by our young family members.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, MMDown Under said:

What a beautiful monument and location with water behind. I always read names on these monuments when I tour the country. This year we visited the actual site of the POW Camp and Japanese Outbreak. 

At Cowra? Yes, been there a few times, looks nice now that area, lot of govt funding.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, memorable trip that Ypres one, seeing the aid station where John McCrae the Canadian Army Dr worked. The cemeteries although sad are magnificent and well kept by Commonwealth War Graves.  Going to the Ypres museum and learning how they rebuilt the town is interesting.  Lucky the town plans were not destroyed.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, NSWP said:

At Cowra? Yes, been there a few times, looks nice now that area, lot of govt funding.

I liked the way they told the story on loudspeaker from watchtower and had story boards so you could picture the camp, its inmates and the outbreak. 
Cowra is worth a few days’ stay.  We stayed at the Outbreak Motel in luxury after camping 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, memorable trip that Ypres one, seeing the aid station where John McCrae the Canadian Army Dr worked. The cemeteries although sad are magnificent and well kept by Commonwealth War Graves.  Going to the Ypres museum and learning how they rebuilt the town is interesting.  Lucky the town plans were not destroyed.

I’d like to visit one day.  I did a river cruise which featured the war in Belgium and Holland. The bridge too far from memory