Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

9 hours ago, Lurdes777 said:

OK, so looks like we get out of the ship, look for Port Mobility bus and tell them we go to the train station, have cash 6 euros per person.  When we get to the station how is it to buy tickets to Frecce?  Is there a live person or just computer terminal?

If you don't plan on pre-purchasing your train tickets how do you know/plan your travel schedule and whether there will be room for your travel party?

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

If you don't plan on pre-purchasing your train tickets how do you know/plan your travel schedule and whether there will be room for your travel party?

We are a party of 9 people, not sure when we will get out of the ship so we can't buy tickets ahead of time. Hoping there will be enough tickets available to purchase right on the spot. 

7 minutes ago, Lurdes777 said:

We are a party of 9 people, not sure when we will get out of the ship so we can't buy tickets ahead of time. Hoping there will be enough tickets available to purchase right on the spot. 

Nine people with luggage trying to make their way from Civi to Termini to Milan.  Get a private transfer that can accomodate the crowd and the luggage and get you to your train on time.

Just now, d9704011 said:

Nine people with luggage trying to make their way from Civi to Termini to Milan.  Get a private transfer that can accomodate the crowd and the luggage and get you to your train on time.

Any suggestions how and where? 

2 hours ago, Lurdes777 said:

I read somewhere that we have to do something with tickets before boarding the train, and if not we can get in trouble. Like stamp them or something?

You only have to get your tickets stamped for any regional trains that do not have assigned seating. If you are on a Frecce train from Civitavecchia to Rome and then from Rome to Milano, you should have either a paper or electronic ticket showing the date/time/number of your train and your assigned seat number(s). Because this is a reservation for a specific train, you don't have to validate the ticket (e.g., stamp it).

If for some reason you end up taking one of the regional (slow, local) trains to Rome and you purchase the ticket in the station, you much validate the paper ticket by inserting it into one of the yellow/green ticket boxes near the tracks before getting on the train. Failure to do so can result in a fine upward of 50 euros if the inspector comes around on the train to check.

4 hours ago, Lurdes777 said:

I think with 9 people with luggage, I would be looking to get one of the private regional companies that do transfers from Civitavecchia into Rome.  Have them pick you up at the ship and drop you off at Termini station.  Then catch the train to Milan from there.  Look down at the many posts in this forum for company names.  RomeInLimo is one such company.  I believe RomeCabs is another.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

i know this if off topic but i need transport from the Rome airport to my ship.  My cruise line does not provide trnasport so what is my best solution?  i cannot walk very far without stopping and I do use a cane so walking with luggage will be difficult.  Any suggestions?  Is there a service that will take me diredtly to my ship?

There are car services that will take you directly to the ship or, less expensively, shared shuttles.  I'm not sure if the shared shuttles go to the ship or if they drop you at the port shuttle bus station, that would be something to verify with each one you consider.

6 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

i know this if off topic but i need transport from the Rome airport to my ship.  My cruise line does not provide trnasport so what is my best solution?  i cannot walk very far without stopping and I do use a cane so walking with luggage will be difficult.  Any suggestions?  Is there a service that will take me diredtly to my ship?

Last time we went between Rome and the ship (no walking or transfers) we jsed Bob's Linos and were very satisfied.  Check this out:

https://www.romelimousines.com/transfers/rome-shared-transfers/rome-shared-transfers-rome/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

thanks for the information about rome limosines.  i appreciate your advice.  sounds good to me and they will take me directly to the ship, right?

Yes, all the way to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We have round trip tickets for the Civitavecchia Express, and are going to get off at San Pietro station in the morning. For the afternoon return journey back to the cruise port, can we board at San Pietro, or do we have to get on at Ostiense station? I believe the answer is yes but did not see this specific situation addressed in the thread. Assuming the answer is yes, I assume it is not a problem that the printed tickets say the Departure Station is Ostiense - I don't believe there was any way to purchase a ticket on the Civitavecchia Express to/from San Pietro, only to from Ostiense.

47 minutes ago, brothersbr said:

We have round trip tickets for the Civitavecchia Express, and are going to get off at San Pietro station in the morning. For the afternoon return journey back to the cruise port, can we board at San Pietro, or do we have to get on at Ostiense station? I believe the answer is yes but did not see this specific situation addressed in the thread. Assuming the answer is yes, I assume it is not a problem that the printed tickets say the Departure Station is Ostiense - I don't believe there was any way to purchase a ticket on the Civitavecchia Express to/from San Pietro, only to from Ostiense.

YES.  That's what we did.  We had RT Ostiense tickets, but we hopped off a SPietro, then returned from Ostiense after visiting the Colosseum. 

We bought our tickets from a little store at the Civi station.  No one checked our tickets, in either direction. 

Edited by mapleleaves

Hi all

We are taking 2 cruises out of Civi in November. They are back-to-back but not on the same ship. I know there are shuttles that move people around within the port (or at least, I think I know that!).

Both cruises are on Princess and I am wondering if Princess generally uses the same piers or if it's very dynamic and piers change a lot. Anyone know of or have recent experience with piers for Princess ships?

If it helps, the first cruise is around the Med and to Israel then back to Civi. The 2nd cruise is a TA that departs the same day we get back from the first cruise.

Thanks for any help!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
left word out!

On 5/28/2023 at 10:52 AM, travelberlin said:

Can somebody please recommend a reliable transfer company from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia?

I have also tried to look at train tickets with train Italia but even though they provide the train schedules it is not possible to buy them online.  How do we get the train tickets?

Ivi

I have used Rome in Limo over 12xs. Jany is the person who helps with reservations. They are on time, clean cars or vans & friendly drivers who speak English

• Thanks 1

Hoping you can help me... We are arriving at Civitavecchia Port for the day from 8am to 7pm on Wed. June 28.. There are 5 of us and my friend found a tour company that was going to pick us up at the port at about 9:30 am, give us a 7 hour driving tour of Rome and drop us back off before 6:00 pm. Well they cancelled and we've been trying to find another tour but since it's last minute they're either sold out or very expensive! We are contemplating taking the train but after reading all the suggestions on this board I am totally confused 🙂  Would someone please be kind enough to explain the train procedure to Rome and back? Please and thank you!!

The train is easy once you know the steps.

I'm going to make some assumptions here, which you can feel free to challenge. 

Since this may be your first time using trains in Italy, and since you were prepared to spend hundreds of euros on a car service, I'm going to make the assumption that you'd be willing to pay a little more than the minimum in order to have a more comfortable journey.

This fits with your timing as well, since your arrival time is a little later than usual. 

I'd suggest you take a Frecce (fast) train to Rome rather than a regional.  It's still a bargain compared to a car service and you get an assigned seat in a train with working AC that makes no stops between the port and Rome.  The crowding on the regional trains and the summer heat in Rome make those benefits pretty appealing.

I'll give you details in the next post.

The first step is to get to the train station.  Depending on where your ship is berthed, it may be walkable (less than one mile) or you may need to use the 6 euro PortLink bus offered by port mobility.  Either way you have plenty of time to get to the station for the 9:16 Frecce direct to Rome Termini station.  This train gets you to Rome a few minutes after 10 am, between 30 to 60 minutes earlier than your car service would have.

The fare is between 10 - 16 euro, depending on how far in advance you buy the ticket.   16 euro is the walk-up fare.

For the return there is a Frecce departing Rome a few minutes before 5 that gets you back at 5:45 pm.  That means an extra 30 to 60 minutes on the back side of the day vs. the car service, so it's a win-win for you.  That 45 minutes on the train would take an hour and a half by car in regular end-of-day traffic.

Once back at Civitavecchia it's again either walk to the ship or the 6 euro bus.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1